Ubisoft issues statement to Japanese fans regarding historical accuracy

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They know they F’d up big time with their obvious diversity point bingo.

A game set in historic Japan and they make it about a foreigner that sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl. What were they thinking?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It's time for some people to acknowledge there are serious problems with the game's representation of Japan and the Japanese.
That was everyone's point.

The rest is you and some people who made stupid decisions trying to defect by pointing fingers at ghosts or something like that for their failure to get what they apparently were trying really hard to represent (or hide to be honest).

Not sure Trump is aware of the game's existence, then again, I am no Trump expert, je might be an avid gamer as far as I know.

2spooky5me

Veteran
12 May 2024
@ToTTenTranz
All folks on both sides are trash.
The worst is each (political) leaning is using Japanese/Asian folks as pawns in their arguments… while simultaneously spewing their own Anti-Japanese/Anti-Asian rhetoric.
Ubisoft gets 99% of the blame for throwing more fuel on a (currently) messed up VG industry, that was helped by the Far East to grow since inception.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
@ToTTenTranz
All folks on both sides are trash.
The worst is each (political) leaning is using Japanese/Asian folks as pawns in their arguments… while simultaneously spewing their own Anti-Japanese/Anti-Asian rhetoric.
Ubisoft gets 99% of the blame for throwing more fuel on an already messed up VG industry that was helped by the Far East grow, since day 1!
Who’s spewing anti Japanese/Asian rhetoric?

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
The game will sell well, everyone has wanted them to do a setting in Japan for a very long time.

Reactions: Diah

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Why are you ranting about mermaids to me & saying I should ask myself questions all I did was post one of Alyssa's ranting articles , people on here get way too sensitive about shit... I mean ubisoft wrote this statement specifically addressing the Japanese & is most likely down to Japanese politicians calling out ubisoft , the tweet I linked that shows Alyssa saying ubsisoft should've just called them racist & told them to get bent is just an incredibly bad take
Nobody is ranting about mermaids. Stop it. Crying about a black mermaid is simply another recent example of the horrendously misguided outrage against the 'woke' movement.

You absolutely should ask yourself why you're getting worked up over a black character in a videogame. The Japanese audience have never spent their evenings crying about a videogame character. Why are you letting a creative decision impact your sleep schedule?

Kotaku is a mostly useless videogame outlet. They tarnished their reputation when they ignored reality and went full speed into verifiable lies, e.g., Xbox is saving the videogame industry. However, their author (Alyssa) being right on one thing is just that; she's right on one thing. Nobody is fooled by the 'outrage' against this game. A minority of white people are angry that a samurai is black. Like I said in my previous post, there's nothing wrong with that. But the way to solve that is to vote with your wallet and not cry through a keyboard.

Assassin's Creed is a game where a guy can jump off a tower and land in a bale of hay without issue. When has it ever been about realism?

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
The biggest mistake was using a real main character. Mixing a fictional character into real world events like Forrest Gump is generally acceptable. Using a real character can lead to someone with a sense of history to complain about historical inaccuracy or if the devs stay loyal to history then they limit themselves in what you can do in the game and it's boring shit.

If you were playing as George Washington in Assassin's Creed III, it would be rightly mocked by all if it played mostly the same story and levels (if you rework the plot point of the playable character being a Native American). Playing as Connor and the main complaint is why not Haytham or Connor's mother as Connor is boring as fuck.

It's also a video game and anyone unironically getting their historical knowledge from Assassin's Creed need help. Anyone getting upset with Assassin's Creed is the same as it was never commended for its historical accuracy.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Who’s spewing anti Japanese/Asian rhetoric?

Ubisoft bootlickers:
- Only racists are criticizing this game!

-
Ubisoft releases a statement directed towards the Japanese people, apologizing for inaccuracies in the historical setting and promising to improve on those points.

Ubisoft bootlickers:
- See? They were never historically accurate. Only racists are criticizing this game!

Ubisoft answered to Japanese critics. If all critics are racist, then the Japanese critics are racist.

The whole "all of X are just racist" statement is the type of dumb bile spewing that only dishonest hacks like professional cancel culture grifters (e.g. Kotaku writers) and some forum users adhere to.

You absolutely should ask yourself why you're getting worked up over a black character in a videogame
Is there any way one can criticize this game, then?
Putting it in other terms, would you be willing to recognize any criticism towards the game at all?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Ubisoft bootlickers:
- Only racists are criticizing this game!

-
Ubisoft releases a statement directed towards the Japanese people, apologizing for inaccuracies in the historical setting and promising to improve on those points.

Ubisoft bootlickers:
- See? They were never historically accurate. Only racists are criticizing this game!

Ubisoft answered to Japanese critics. If all critics are racist, then the Japanese critics are racist.

The whole "all of X are just racist" statement is the type of dumb bile spewing that only dishonest hacks like professional cancel culture grifters (e.g. Kotaku writers) and some forum users adhere to.

Is there any way one can criticize this game, then?
Putting it in other terms, would you be willing to recognize any criticism towards the game at all?
You can criticize it because it'll be a bloated grindfest as usual.
But nobody cares if ONE of the protags is black.
It's fiction, it's not meant to be accurate lmao
What, are you going to tell me that it's ok to have templars, assassin's, aliens, fucking time travel via DNA memories but a black samurai is a line too far?
And don't even try to come with some BS narrative by saying stuff like "oh, fantasy has grounds on reality, aliens make sense because of xyz inrules in the universe".
No, they do not.
Templars don't exist, neither do assassins and aliens.
DaVinci wasn't an assassin and the Pope wasn't a templar
the games were NEVER historically accurate.

People complaining are:
  1. Racists
  2. Grifters
  3. Farming for engagement
  4. incels
  5. all of the above and more
Yes, Japanese can be racists, most of them are, actually. Also, Japan never really represents other countries accurately in their media so f*ck their hypocritic opinions.
To all of you, I say simply this:
Cope, snowflakes.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah, Ico and Danja

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You can criticize it because it'll be a bloated grindfest as usual.
But nobody cares if ONE of the protags is black.
It's fiction, it's not meant to be accurate lmao
What, are you going to tell me that it's ok to have templars, assassin's, aliens, fucking time travel via DNA memories but a black samurai is a line too far?
And don't even try to come with some BS narrative by saying stuff like "oh, fantasy has grounds on reality, aliens make sense because of xyz inrules in the universe".
No, they do not.
Templars don't exist, neither do assassins and aliens.
DaVinci wasn't an assassin and the Pope wasn't a templar
the games were NEVER historically accurate.

People complaining are:
  1. Racists
  2. Grifters
  3. Farming for engagement
  4. incels
  5. all of the above and more
Yes, Japanese can be racists, most of them are, actually. Also, Japan never really represents other countries accurately in their media so f*ck their hypocritic opinions.
To all of you, I say simply this:
Cope, snowflakes.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They know they F’d up big time with their obvious diversity point bingo.

A game set in historic Japan and they make it about a foreigner that sticks out like a turd in a punchbowl. What were they thinking?

If games like Tsushima and Ronin didn’t exist it would seem kinda fucked up that after years of clamoring for a samurai era asscreed that the main character who’s front and center is a foreigner. Listen, as a Greek I got my Greek assassin’s creed and enjoyed the stereotypical portrayal of modern Greeks slapped on ancient times. It was accurate enough that I laughed at the little things and accents.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
If games like Tsushima and Ronin didn’t exist it would seem kinda fucked up that after years of clamoring for a samurai era asscreed that the main character who’s front and center is a foreigner. Listen, as a Greek I got my Greek assassin’s creed and enjoyed the stereotypical portrayal of modern Greeks slapped on ancient times. It was accurate enough that I laughed at the little things and accents.
My bet is that they went with Yasuke exactly because Tsushima exists, otherwise, the games would be too similar.

Reactions: Diah

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The world is recreated accurately, places, locations and whatnot, not the story.

0 - Using Chinese characters instead of Japanese ones all over the place

1 - Writing Japanese characters in reverse, resulting in ineligible writings

2 - Ubisoft mixing up stuff from different seasons (which bear a lot of relevance in Japanese culture), like putting grain harvest from Fall next to blooming sakura from the Winter.

3 - Stealing artwork from Japanese creators like a sword from the One Piece manga, banners from Japanese larpers, lanterns from temples without permission, figurines, etc. The list here has dozens of examples.

4 - Ubisoft putting Torii arcs as entrance to random villages, whereas the Torii were used as an entrance to Shinto temples.

5 - Ubisoft putting burning incense in an outdoors Shinto shrine, when incense is only used inside Buddhist temples.

6 - Ubisoft putting the tatami placements wrong, in an audience where the samurai are sitting in the wrong formation and posture, in front of a daimyio who would probably kill them for it.

7 - Naoe supposedly being the furtive character walking around in the middle of a village wearing a sword on her back, which would immediately call out all attention towards her.

8 - Yasuke walking around wearing full body armor, which was only used for battle and would reallistically send villagers either running away like hell at his sight or attack him in defense. Villagers bowing to him in reverence for some reason.

Again, cope.
Isn't your tongue dry from all that Ubisoft bootlicking?

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It's great to see healthy discourse taking place.

Let's keep it that way.

I Love You GIF by Sesame Street

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
0 - Using Chinese characters instead of Japanese ones all over the place

1 - Writing Japanese characters in reverse, resulting in ineligible writings

2 - Ubisoft mixing up stuff from different seasons (which bear a lot of relevance in Japanese culture), like putting grain harvest from Fall next to blooming sakura from the Winter.

3 - Stealing artwork from Japanese creators like a sword from the One Piece manga, banners from Japanese larpers, lanterns from temples without permission, figurines, etc. The list here has dozens of examples.

4 - Ubisoft putting Torii arcs as entrance to random villages, whereas the Torii were used as an entrance to Shinto temples.

5 - Ubisoft putting burning incense in an outdoors Shinto shrine, when incense is only used inside Buddhist temples.

6 - Ubisoft putting the tatami placements wrong, in an audience where the samurai are sitting in the wrong formation and posture, in front of a daimyio who would probably kill them for it.

7 - Naoe supposedly being the furtive character walking around in the middle of a village wearing a sword on her back, which would immediately call out all attention towards her.

8 - Yasuke walking around wearing full body armor, which was only used for battle and would reallistically send villagers either running away like hell at his sight or attack him in defense. Villagers bowing to him in reverence for some reason.

Isn't your tongue dry from all that Ubisoft bootlicking?
japanese also said that ubi used chinese architecture not japanese in some cases.

plus, ''Naoe, she is made up of things that didn't exist at the time. These include naming rules, clothing, weapons, etc.''

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
japanese also said that ubi used chinese architecture not japanese in some cases.

plus, ''Naoe, she is made up of things that didn't exist at the time. These include naming rules, clothing, weapons, etc.''
The clothing in Ghost of Tsushima was taken from later periods than when the game was set. The clothes at the time wouldn't mesh well with the public's perception of Japan at that time. Sometimes artistic licence can work to the game's advantage.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The clothing in Ghost of Tsushima was taken from later periods than when the game was set. The clothes at the time wouldn't mesh well with the public's perception of Japan at that time. Sometimes artistic licence can work to the game's advantage.
create the thread. collect Devs statements, japanese statements and public statements and do research about the game and real japan at the time, then we could discuss about it. what can i say, just that reception is miles apart from japanese and from other parts of the world too about GoT.
right now, it is just pure whataboutism.