Ubisoft issues statement to Japanese fans regarding historical accuracy

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
create the thread. collect Devs statements, japanese statements and public statements and do research about the game and real japan at the time, then we could discuss about it. what can i say, just that reception is miles apart from japanese and from other parts of the world too about GoT.
right now, it is just pure whataboutism.

I would recommend to anyone to watch the full discussion video. I've watched it a few times, after my first completion of Ghost and right before the DLC.

Around 28 minutes in, they discuss clothing and weapons. They use Korean weaponry that was not around at the time. Artistic licence is fine if it isn't jarring. The expert is okay with it as it is a game of fiction and not presenting itself as fact. Assassin's Creed is fiction. That's what I claimed and you dismissed. Artistic licence can work. The very end of the video the expert would change nothing of the game to make it more authentic.

The main reason this AC game is received poorly is a main character's colour. We all know it and to downplay that point is laughable. Until the game comes out, we won't know whether it respects the era or not. There could be in game reasons for certain things but we won't know until it's released. I've played a few Assassin's Creed games in the past few years but I haven't yet even reached Unity. Unless the AC games have, post Black Flag, restrained themselves to historical accuracy, I couldn't see why people are so up in arms about historical context in Assassin's Creed games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Diah

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

I would recommend to anyone to watch the full discussion video. I've watched it a few times, after my first completion of Ghost and right before the DLC.

Around 28 minutes in, they discuss clothing and weapons. They use Korean weaponry that was not around at the time. Artistic licence is fine if it isn't jarring. The expert is okay with it as it is a game of fiction and not presenting itself as fact. Assassin's Creed is fiction. That's what I claimed and you dismissed. Artistic licence can work. The very end of the video the expert would change nothing of the game to make it more authentic.

The main reason this AC game is received poorly is a main character's colour. We all know it and to downplay that point is laughable. Until the game comes out, we won't know whether it respects the era or not. There could be in game reasons for certain things but we won't know until it's released. I've played a few Assassin's Creed games in the past few years but I haven't yet even reached Unity. Unless the AC games have, post Black Flag, restrained themselves to historical accuracy, I couldn't see why people are so up in arms about historical context in Assassin's Creed games.
This best you could do? Pathetic to say the least. Scrapping bottom of the barrel especially with whataboutism.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
This best you could do? Pathetic to say the least. Scrapping bottom of the barrel especially with whataboutism.
You can't discuss in good faith so out comes the childish outburst. I'm embarrassed for you.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You can't discuss in good faith so out comes the childish outburst. I'm embarrassed for you.
good faith? show me, where you created a thread with following my own comment : ''collect Devs statements, japanese statements and public statements and do research about the game and real japan at the time, then we could discuss about''

but noooo, you proceeded to race hustle and ''I've played a few Assassin's Creed games in the past few years but I haven't yet even reached Unity''.
you don't even know AC games in full.
plus, you of course ignore this
Assassin's Creed: Shadows Game Director Charles Benoit:
Assassin’s Creed is well known for its depiction of the history and accurate recreation of the world and it’s what players can expect with Assassin’s Creed Shadows.
i am a fan of AC and played all those main games from 2008. i went through all of their marketing over a decade. he isn't lying.

now, show me(in separate thread, without derailing this thread with whataboutism), where GoT director said the same about GoT?

Last edited:
Reactions: ToTTenTranz

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
good faith? show me, where you created a thread with following my own comment : ''collect Devs statements, japanese statements and public statements and do research about the game and real japan at the time, then we could discuss about''

but noooo, you proceeded to race hustle and ''I've played a few Assassin's Creed games in the past few years but I haven't yet even reached Unity''.
you don't even know AC games in full.
plus, you of course ignore this
Assassin's Creed: Shadows Game Director Charles Benoit:

now, show me(in separate thread, without derailing this thread with whataboutism), where GoT director said the same about GoT?
To respond to you you wanted a thread? 😂😂😂

AC games are works of fiction. I've tried 9 games of AC and I never took what happened as truth, unlike you apparently.

Assassin's Creed fiction
Assassin's Creed II fiction
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood fiction
Assassin's Creed Revelations fiction
Assassin's Creed III fiction
Assassin's Creed Liberation fiction
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag fiction
Assassin's Creed Rogue fiction
Assassin's Creed Chronicles fiction

When do they start becoming non-fiction, Queen Gertrude?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
To respond to you you wanted a thread? 😂😂😂

AC games are works of fiction. I've tried 9 games of AC and I never took what happened as truth, unlike you apparently.

Assassin's Creed fiction
Assassin's Creed II fiction
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood fiction
Assassin's Creed Revelations fiction
Assassin's Creed III fiction
Assassin's Creed Liberation fiction
Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag fiction
Assassin's Creed Rogue fiction
Assassin's Creed Chronicles fiction

When do they start becoming non-fiction, Queen Gertrude?
Fictional story but alot of the background based on real historic events and characters.

AC 1- is based on one of the Crusades. Assassins battle against the arab sunni invasion and crusades - The Assassins are based on Historical assassins of Hasan Sabbha. The base was real castle, with real assassins who made similar assassins during the Crusades.

AC3 - American Independence war
AC Black Flag - Golden Pirate era
AC Valhala - Viking invasion of England

Alot of the stories are based real events and also conspiracies in real history.
I dont think you play a real character till AC Japan

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Fictional story but alot of the background based on real historic events and characters.

AC 1- is based on one of the Crusades. Assassins battle against the arab sunni invasion and crusades - The Assassins are based on Historical assassins of Hasan Sabbha which. The base was real castle, with real assassins who made similar assassins during the Crusades.

AC3 - American Independence war
AC Black Flag - Golden Pirate era
AC Valhala - Viking invasion of England

Alot of the stories are based on conspiracies in real history.
I dont think you play a real character till AC Japan lol
There was no outrage at the historical inaccuracy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter when it hit the cinema. The only thing of note of that movie was a reviewer stating it was the worst thing to happen to Lincoln in a theatre.

You can base your game off anything. It doesn't mean it must be rigid and follow the fact only. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood used real people and changed what happened, Inglorious Bastards too. Does that mean the movies are trash and shouldn't have been made?

I hate to use the fucker as an example, but Max Landis in a video mentioned a question his father asked him "How do you kill a vampire?", Max replied with the stock movie ways to his father who said that you can kill a vampire anyway you want because they are not real." The game is fiction so you can do anything.

Shouldn't everyone in this upcoming AC game all speak Japanese if you want it to be authentic? (I know the Animus reason given for it being in English) If you play with characters speaking English doesn't that make the experience inauthentic? Why is that allowed but not another change? I've pointed to AC being a work of fiction and if you don't like the game, don't buy it. The game isn't out yet so it's hard to judge.

Reactions: Diah and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Assassin's Creed is a game where a guy can jump off a tower and land in a bale of hay without issue. When has it ever been about realism?

Based on real historic events and times though. So its partly realistic.

Imagine if the main character for AC Shadows was a non fiction European white guy….. Guarantee you Kotaku’s article would be different lol.
It would be called white washing the game. Lets not even pretend the media wouldnt do that. And that would be fair of them too.

The media and Kotaku went on a cancel rant because it was white people ( sucker punch) making a game set in Japan…(ghost of tsushima)

I dont care who they use. I hope the game is great. Can be an interesting story too. If the gameplay/combat has improved Ill try it for sure.
But the way some of you reach that this isnt an attempt for ubisoft to be what people are saying is reaching.

I had to edit this list because some people nitpick and say Playing as a welsh pirate in the Caribbean duing the setting of golden era of piracy or a viking invading England is the same as Japan having a black/white samurai walking around in full armour….anyway

AC 1 - Setting Crusades - Fiction character that is standard for the setting
AC2 - Set in Italy/ Renaissance era- Play as fiction Italian.
AC3 - Set in American Independence War - Play as a fictional mixed American//British/Native character

AC4- Set in the Americas(North/Central/South? Golden Era of Pirates - Play as a fictional Pirate. A welsh Pirate is standard for that era and setting.

AC - Unity - Set in French Revolution. /Play as Fictional French man
AC - Syndicate - Set in England./ Play as Fictional British siblings
AC - Origins - Set in Egypt. /Play as fictional Egyptian

AC - Odessy - Set in ancient Greece and islands/ Play as fiction characters that is standard in that setting and time.
AC - Valhala - Set between Norway and England. Playing as a fictional Viking invading England ( A real Historic event ) §

AC Shadows - Breaks the standard of the mainline games. Non fiction character. Character that wouldn't be deemed as normal or standard in that setting. Yes a Viking invading England is standard setting and so is a Welsh Pirates the Caribbean.

So Ubisoft changaed things up no matter how you look at the list above. They chose a character that is not the standard to the setting. And they used a real character.
All the other characters are pretty standard for that setting. A foreigner in Japanese, whether white or black, latin, Arab, especially being a samurai is not a standard like the other characters in there games.

Its a game based on history and fiction, so they can do what they want of course.

There are some other art/media baed on him character, this isnt anything new really.
They choose to change it up and its fine. We all know why they did it. Its there game and they can do what they want. No need to get upset over it either. Play something else.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
There was no outrage at the historical inaccuracy of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter when it hit the cinema. The only thing of note of that movie was a reviewer stating it was the worst thing to happen to Lincoln in a theatre.

You can base your game off anything. It doesn't mean it must be rigid and follow the fact only. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood used real people and changed what happened, Inglorious Bastards too. Does that mean the movies are trash and shouldn't have been made?

I hate to use the fucker as an example, but Max Landis in a video mentioned a question his father asked him "How do you kill a vampire?", Max replied with the stock movie ways to his father who said that you can kill a vampire anyway you want because they are not real." The game is fiction so you can do anything.

Shouldn't everyone in this upcoming AC game all speak Japanese if you want it to be authentic? (I know the Animus reason given for it being in English) If you play with characters speaking English doesn't that make the experience inauthentic? Why is that allowed but not another change? I've pointed to AC being a work of fiction and if you don't like the game, don't buy it. The game isn't out yet so it's hard to judge.
More pathetic whataboutism. Great, more imbicilistic arguments.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

I think people are just upset because A. They wanted a Japanese character for Sengoku setting. B. Ubisoft switched things up. C. We all know its for controversial reasons.

Its Ubisofts game and they can do what they want for sure, lets hope they make something decent from it

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The main reason this AC game is received poorly is a main character's colour.
So what you're saying is Ubisoft pulled the perfect strategy with going with a black main character for a game set in feudal Japan.

No matter how sloppy of a job they do and how disrespectful they are to that country's culture, there'll always be an army of white saviors defending the corporation with a dishonest attempt at painting any and all criticism as racism.

And the fact that none of this criticism ever existed for other entries with black main characters like Liberation and Origins is once again dishonesty forgotten by the same white saviors, because it doesn't serve their corporate worshipping agenda.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
0 - Using Chinese characters instead of Japanese ones all over the place

1 - Writing Japanese characters in reverse, resulting in ineligible writings

2 - Ubisoft mixing up stuff from different seasons (which bear a lot of relevance in Japanese culture), like putting grain harvest from Fall next to blooming sakura from the Winter.

3 - Stealing artwork from Japanese creators like a sword from the One Piece manga, banners from Japanese larpers, lanterns from temples without permission, figurines, etc. The list here has dozens of examples.

4 - Ubisoft putting Torii arcs as entrance to random villages, whereas the Torii were used as an entrance to Shinto temples.

5 - Ubisoft putting burning incense in an outdoors Shinto shrine, when incense is only used inside Buddhist temples.

6 - Ubisoft putting the tatami placements wrong, in an audience where the samurai are sitting in the wrong formation and posture, in front of a daimyio who would probably kill them for it.

7 - Naoe supposedly being the furtive character walking around in the middle of a village wearing a sword on her back, which would immediately call out all attention towards her.

8 - Yasuke walking around wearing full body armor, which was only used for battle and would reallistically send villagers either running away like hell at his sight or attack him in defense. Villagers bowing to him in reverence for some reason.

Isn't your tongue dry from all that Ubisoft bootlicking?
Nobody cares, cope

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I think people are just upset because A. They wanted a Japanese character for Sengoku setting. B. Ubisoft switched things up. C. We all know its for controversial reasons.

Its Ubisofts game and they can do what they want for sure, lets hope they make something decent from it
There is a Japanese character in the game

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I have to say, I wish more people were interested in the gameplay than bickering about historical or factual accuracy.
Maybe that matters more in a videogame.
Caring about historical accuracy in games in stupider than stupid tbh

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
There is a Japanese character in the game
Oof are you sure you can handle that, though?

I mean your mask already fell off here, so you might as well just admit it:

Yes, Japanese can be racists, most of them are, actually. Also, Japan never really represents other countries accurately in their media so f*ck their hypocritic opinions.
Imagine saying the same stupid generalization about African Americans, and I bet your sorry ass would have been perma-banned.

But there's no culturally accepted anti-asian hate anywhere, guys. Pinky promise.

Caring about historical accuracy in games in stupider than stupid tbh

You should send the game's director an email telling him how he's stupider than stupid, then.

Assassin’s Creed is well known for its depiction of the history and accurate recreation of the world and it’s what players can expect with Assassin’s Creed Shadows.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Lots, these games always sell and the vast majority of players aren’t virgin chuds on twitter
It's comments like these that make me do exactly the opposite of what this says. I will proud take my title as virgin chud then be tricked by artificial drama and lose 70 bucks on a crap game.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
Based on real historic events and times though. So its partly realistic.

Imagine if the main character for AC Shadows was a non fiction European white guy….. Guarantee you Kotaku’s article would be different lol.
It would be called white washing the game. Lets not even pretend the media wouldnt do that. And that would be fair of them too.

The media and Kotaku went on a cancel rant because it was white people ( sucker punch) making a game set in Japan…(ghost of tsushima)

I dont care who they use. I hope the game is great. Can be an interesting story too. If the gameplay/combat has improved Ill try it for sure.
But the way some of you reach that this isnt an attempt for ubisoft to be what people are saying is reaching.

I had to edit this list because some people nitpick and say Playing as a welsh pirate in the Caribbean duing the setting of golden era of piracy or a viking invading England is the same as Japan having a black/white samurai walking around in full armour….anyway

AC 1 - Setting Crusades - Fiction character that is standard for the setting
AC2 - Set in Italy/ Renaissance era- Play as fiction Italian.
AC3 - Set in American Independence War - Play as a fictional mixed American//British/Native character

AC4- Set in the Americas(North/Central/South? Golden Era of Pirates - Play as a fictional Pirate. A welsh Pirate is standard for that era and setting.

AC - Unity - Set in French Revolution. /Play as Fictional French man
AC - Syndicate - Set in England./ Play as Fictional British siblings
AC - Origins - Set in Egypt. /Play as fictional Egyptian

AC - Odessy - Set in ancient Greece and islands/ Play as fiction characters that is standard in that setting and time.
AC - Valhala - Set between Norway and England. Playing as a fictional Viking invading England ( A real Historic event ) §

AC Shadows - Breaks the standard of the mainline games. Non fiction character. Character that wouldn't be deemed as normal or standard in that setting. Yes a Viking invading England is standard setting and so is a Welsh Pirates the Caribbean.

So Ubisoft changaed things up no matter how you look at the list above. They chose a character that is not the standard to the setting. And they used a real character.
All the other characters are pretty standard for that setting. A foreigner in Japanese, whether white or black, latin, Arab, especially being a samurai is not a standard like the other characters in there games.

Its a game based on history and fiction, so they can do what they want of course.

There are some other art/media baed on him character, this isnt anything new really.
They choose to change it up and its fine. We all know why they did it. Its there game and they can do what they want. No need to get upset over it either. Play something else.
Kotaku being a useless clickbait outlet doesn't mean Ubisoft are acting out of malice by casting a black Samurai in a game. They made that decision because they are a company that creates shit for money. Why are we now upset that they are creating shit for money?