[UK] 65% of Resident Evil 4 sales were on PlayStation platforms, 20% on Xbox and 15% on PC (Physical + Digital)

24 Jun 2022
They're not trying... it is. Lmfao

RE4R sales split in UK says otherwise.

You can't even read your own link.
They expected to PC grow and become the next big thing but it didn't happen.

PS still is the main platform for most Capcom games.
Even Monster Hunter World sold best on PlayStation.

But hey PC is 2nd.

And that is the wildest part. I fully expect console sales split for SFVI to be even more in PS's favor than RE4R, and PC will most likely surpass Xbox's split in sales for that game with no issue.

The trend of Xbox's decreasing share in 3P software sales is the #1 reason Microsoft shifted to the Game Pass strategy and are now trying to buy big 3P publishers. But they're in for a rude awakening if they think lagging behind in revenue or sales is going to give them ammunition for buying any future publisher. At some point, regulators HAVE to acknowledge that MS's position in the market is the market's own response to fair competition, and Xbox just happened to be the loser.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
At some point, regulators HAVE to acknowledge that MS's position in the market is the market's own response to fair competition, and Xbox just happened to be the loser.
Regulators know, but the loser also happens to be one of the largest corporations on the planet, and their reach and power is huge.

The only true law in Capitalism (or what passes as capitalism these days) is the Golden Rule: the one with the gold dictates the rules.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
What's really crazy is how their marketing revolves around multiplatform franchises that are getting removed from playstation.
And MS is getting retroactively credited for those bought out and taken off third party market IPs. Insane.
Before the acquisition Starfield was so close to being a timed exclusive on Playstation. Xbox knew that would've murdered them as a brand. Jim Ryan was going for the kill.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It's crazy to think that if the Zenimax acquisition hadn't gone through, Xbox wouldn't have redfall or starfield to market this year. The brand would've been on its death bed.
It ain't that crazy when you look at all the terrible years Xbox has accumulated up to this point. A bad year for PlayStation is better than pretty much any year Xbox has ever had.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Cool hand luke

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
RE4R sales split in UK says otherwise.

And that is the wildest part. I fully expect console sales split for SFVI to be even more in PS's favor than RE4R, and PC will most likely surpass Xbox's split in sales for that game with no issue.
Yeah sf6 will heavly favour PS.

Sony getting sf5 exclusivity last gen was a master stroke, they absolutely destroyed the FGC on xbox.

In the 360/Ps3 gen even though ps3 had a huge lead over xbox in japan, you had japanese players who preferred to play fighting games like SF4 on xbox 360.

Sony completley killed that momentum off, and then some.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This is amazing!

Microsoft buying Capcom is a death sentence for the IPs. Meanwhile PlayStation buying Capcom would be a match made in Heaven.

I sincerely hope that if Sony buy Capcom that they do not remove these IP from Xbox.

Ludwig

9 Feb 2023
Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Wow, surprising how well Tchia is doing, I thought that game looked meh

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
@peter42O if PS is outselling Xbox 3:1 including digital on a non-GP release while the hardware split is closer to 1:1, what does this tell you about the health of software sales on Xbox and the effect GP is having on consumer spending habits?

Remember not to use anecdotal evidence in your essay answer. (10 points)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Video Game Attack GIF by CAPCOM

Gg re4

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
LOL I see my haters have been busy!

PC is Capcom's main platform, and that's just a fact. They literally announced it.. and it happened. The reasoning has already been explained... Capcom made that statement in October 2021... AFTER Resident Evil Village released and we already knew what the split was for that in the UK...

RE Village:
PS = 58% (43% PS5, 15% PS4)
Xbox = 31%
PC = 11%

Wow, so Capcom said that despite knowing these numbers and that PC only apparently sold 11% in the UK? What gives...?

Well... if you can read.. you know why PC has become their main platform..

"He also revealed that this shift of focus towards PC is in response to the increase in digital sales of legacy titles like Resident Evil 7, which "still sells over one million copies a year."
He says the reason why PC is becoming the main platform is the continued increase of digital sales of legacy titles... which still sell high numbers... presumably more on PC... meaning that PC games continue to sell better over time.. where consoles fall off harder.

And of course as I said initially... PC gets titles that PS didn't... like Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 which were exclusive to Switch at the time.. and it also gets titles like Street Fighter 5, which was console exclusive to PC. In essence... PC gets everything.. and continues to sell higher over time.

PC has only grown for Capcom since they made that statement... meanwhile Playstation has mostly eaten into the PS4 user base and Xbox.

So now let's look at those UK numbers for RE4 Remake then...

RE4R:
PS = 65%
Xbox = 20%
PC = 15%

Wow... so compared to Village, Playstation and PC together gained 13% over RE Village, Xbox lost 11%... so we can infer that PS5 and PC ate into Xbox's and PS4's share! YAY!

Except the funny thing about the PC's share... is that.. it's NOT ACCURATE AT ALL. Here's proof.. someone asked Christopher if the PC only counts Steam, or the 3rd party sites like GreenmanGaming, Fanatical, HumbleStore, ect.... and they dont...

Right from the horses mouth.. Those are just keys that are sold directly from the Steam store itself.. And anyone who knows anything about PC sales... knows that those official retailers sell a SHIT TON of games... I'd argue that Greenman and Fanatical alone count for around half of PC games sales these days..

So yea, those PC numbers... and alas all the PC numbers from the UK... are simply WRONG.. and are actually MUCH higher. And guess what... that includes Elden Ring as well :LOL:

So.. in reality, PC is probably ~25% of RE4R sales at least... more than Xbox for sure... and that would also mean that Playstation's and Xbox's splits DROP as well..

And we all know UK is Sony land... PC isn't as big there. The real world split is probably 30% PC, 45% PS (PS5+PS4), 15% Xbox.. and I'd VERY MUCH stand by that.

So yea, RE4 is selling great on PC.. and it's growing massively like I said. Stealing share from Xbox. PC gets the games that Xbox and PS don't... like the Nintendo Monster Hunter Games.. and they continue to sell well over time.

Capcom loves PC. And to extend an olive branch to the crybabies here... yes PS is important. It's clear both PC and PS are just eating away at Xbox and they'll both continue to grow. There's no need for us to be fighting when we can both be laughing at Xbox instead.
geese-1.gif

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

PC is Capcom's main platform, and that's just a fact. They literally announced it.. and it happened. The reasoning has already been explained... Capcom made that statement in October 2021... AFTER Resident Evil Village released and we already knew what the split was for that in the UK...

RE Village:
Xbox = 31%
PC = 11%

Wow, so Capcom said that despite knowing these numbers and that PC only apparently sold 11% in the UK? What gives...?

He says the reason why PC is becoming the main platform is the continued increase of digital sales of legacy titles... which still sell high numbers... presumably more on PC... meaning that PC games continue to sell better over time.. where consoles fall off harder.

And of course as I said initially... PC gets titles that PS didn't... like Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 which were exclusive to Switch at the time.. and it also gets titles like Street Fighter 5, which was console exclusive to PC. In essence... PC gets everything.. and continues to sell higher over time.

PC has only grown for Capcom since they made that statement... meanwhile Playstation has mostly eaten into the PS4 user base and Xbox.

RE4R:
PS = 65%
Xbox = 20%
PC = 15%

Wow... so compared to Village, Playstation and PC together gained 13% over RE Village, Xbox lost 11%... so we can infer that PS5 and PC ate into Xbox's and PS4's share! YAY!

Except the funny thing about the PC's share... is that.. it's NOT ACCURATE AT ALL. Here's proof.. someone asked Christopher if the PC only counts Steam, or the 3rd party sites like GreenmanGaming, Fanatical, HumbleStore, ect.... and they dont...

Right from the horses mouth.. Those are just keys that are sold directly from the Steam store itself.. And anyone who knows anything about PC sales... knows that those official retailers sell a SHIT TON of games... I'd argue that Greenman and Fanatical alone count for around half of PC games sales these days..

So yea, those PC numbers... and alas all the PC numbers from the UK... are simply WRONG.. and are actually MUCH higher. And guess what... that includes Elden Ring as well :LOL:

So.. in reality, PC is probably ~25% of RE4R sales at least... more than Xbox for sure... and that would also mean that Playstation's and Xbox's splits DROP as well..

And we all know UK is Sony land... PC isn't as big there. The real world split is probably 30% PC, 45% PS (PS5+PS4), 15% Xbox.. and I'd VERY MUCH stand by that.

So yea, RE4 is selling great on PC.. and it's growing massively like I said. Stealing share from Xbox. PC gets the games that Xbox and PS don't... like the Nintendo Monster Hunter Games.. and they continue to sell well over time.

Capcom loves PC. And to extend an olive branch to the crybabies here... yes PS is important. It's clear both PC and PS are just eating away at Xbox and they'll both continue to grow. There's no need for us to be fighting when we can both be laughing at Xbox instead.
geese-1.gif

30% pc vs 45% ps4+5 -> "pc is the main platform"🤔🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: ethomaz

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

RE Village:
Xbox = 31%
PC = 11%

RE4R:
PS = 65%
Xbox = 20%
PC = 15%

geese-1.gif

If you want to go down the missing sales data you will have to do the samething with playstation which sells alot of physical copies and data is missing for a key retailer e.g. Smyths is one of the biggest retailers in the UK.

P

peter42O

if PS is outselling Xbox 3:1 including digital on a non-GP release while the hardware split is closer to 1:1, what does this tell you about the health of software sales on Xbox and the effect GP is having on consumer spending habits?

Remember not to use anecdotal evidence in your essay answer. (10 points)

You need to know what the ratio is between PS4 and PS5 sales for REmake4 before making any assumptions because you're comparing two platforms which has a combined user install base of approximately 155m (120m for PS4 and 35m for PS5) compared to just 25m give or take for Xbox Series since there is no Xbox One version of the game. Basically, you have a difference of 130m consoles so PlayStation should be selling at a 3 to 1 ratio if not more. Considering that PlayStation 4/5 have an extra 130m consoles sold, if anything, I wouldn't be worried about Game Pass decreasing full game day one sales, instead, I would be more concerned about a massive console user base in PlayStation not buying games day one at full price like so many people want to believe that they are when in reality they're not.

REmake4 is 4m+ in total sales. You don't know how many units the game sold in the UK. Even if you say 35m of PS5 owners are part of that 120m PS4 user install base, what happened to the other 85m PS4 owners that don't own a PS5 and didn't buy REmake4 on PS4? Also, you need to know what the 15% of PC sales consist of. Are they all Steam? Epic? Windows Store? If it's the Windows Store, that's basically Xbox so let's say that's 10%. Xbox total is more like 30% instead of the 20% because you need to realize that for Microsoft it's NOT just about the consoles. If you bought REmake4 on the Windows Store, that's basically a sale for Microsoft which is the same as Xbox and PC Game Pass exists so you can't use the Game Pass excuse, because it's not exclusive to just the Xbox consoles.

You simply don't know all the factual numbers and breakdowns because there's a lot more to those numbers than just 65% for PS4/PS5 and 20% for Xbox Series. The game as I said is 4m+ so what are the actual numbers in UK? The game could have sold only 1m in UK which would make the breakdown 200k for Xbox, 650k for PS4/PS5 and 150k for PC. If you split the PS4/PS5 versions by half (even though I believe majority bought the game on PS4 simply due to the fact that the user install base is far larger compared to PS5), the sales would be 325k to 200k which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Point being is that you need a lot more data, info and factual numbers before believing Game Pass does this or that.

Here's one other factor no one realizes, pre-Game Pass, PS4 outsold Xbox One 3 to 1 for most third party games and for a game like COD, it was even more in favor of PS4. Even if you go back to Xbox 360, the only games that sold well were GTA 4 (marketing deal), COD for several years (marketing deal) and GTA 5 (no marketing deal but it's GTA). Even at the peak of Xbox which im sure you would agree was Xbox 360, third party games still didn't sell like you think that they would.

Simply, Game Pass isn't the issue at all when it comes to software sales because if you research previous generations pre-Game Pass, the sales outside of what I posted was never impressive to begin with. Even Microsoft's first party titles only had 2 of them hit 10m+ and that was at their peak.

There's a reason why Microsoft changed their entire business model to subscription based being Game Pass. It's because when you look at all the numbers, the software sales were never truly impressive. Third party games outside of the few I mentioned above barely sold pre-Game Pass so if they didn't sell without Game Pass, why would they all of sudden sell now?

You and others don't have to like or agree with it but Microsoft going in a subscription based business model for them was the far better choice than trying to stay the same because their old traditional business model didn't work and if something isn't working, you change it and that's what Microsoft did.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You need to know what the ratio is between PS4 and PS5 sales for REmake4 before making any assumptions because you're comparing two platforms which has a combined user install base of approximately 155m (120m for PS4 and 35m for PS5) compared to just 25m give or take for Xbox Series since there is no Xbox One version of the game. Basically, you have a difference of 130m consoles so PlayStation should be selling at a 3 to 1 ratio if not more. Considering that PlayStation 4/5 have an extra 130m consoles sold, if anything, I wouldn't be worried about Game Pass decreasing full game day one sales, instead, I would be more concerned about a massive console user base in PlayStation not buying games day one at full price like so many people want to believe that they are when in reality they're not.

REmake4 is 4m+ in total sales. You don't know how many units the game sold in the UK. Even if you say 35m of PS5 owners are part of that 120m PS4 user install base, what happened to the other 85m PS4 owners that don't own a PS5 and didn't buy REmake4 on PS4? Also, you need to know what the 15% of PC sales consist of. Are they all Steam? Epic? Windows Store? If it's the Windows Store, that's basically Xbox so let's say that's 10%. Xbox total is more like 30% instead of the 20% because you need to realize that for Microsoft it's NOT just about the consoles. If you bought REmake4 on the Windows Store, that's basically a sale for Microsoft which is the same as Xbox and PC Game Pass exists so you can't use the Game Pass excuse, because it's not exclusive to just the Xbox consoles.

You simply don't know all the factual numbers and breakdowns because there's a lot more to those numbers than just 65% for PS4/PS5 and 20% for Xbox Series. The game as I said is 4m+ so what are the actual numbers in UK? The game could have sold only 1m in UK which would make the breakdown 200k for Xbox, 650k for PS4/PS5 and 150k for PC. If you split the PS4/PS5 versions by half (even though I believe majority bought the game on PS4 simply due to the fact that the user install base is far larger compared to PS5), the sales would be 325k to 200k which isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Point being is that you need a lot more data, info and factual numbers before believing Game Pass does this or that.

Here's one other factor no one realizes, pre-Game Pass, PS4 outsold Xbox One 3 to 1 for most third party games and for a game like COD, it was even more in favor of PS4. Even if you go back to Xbox 360, the only games that sold well were GTA 4 (marketing deal), COD for several years (marketing deal) and GTA 5 (no marketing deal but it's GTA). Even at the peak of Xbox which im sure you would agree was Xbox 360, third party games still didn't sell like you think that they would.

Simply, Game Pass isn't the issue at all when it comes to software sales because if you research previous generations pre-Game Pass, the sales outside of what I posted was never impressive to begin with. Even Microsoft's first party titles only had 2 of them hit 10m+ and that was at their peak.

There's a reason why Microsoft changed their entire business model to subscription based being Game Pass. It's because when you look at all the numbers, the software sales were never truly impressive. Third party games outside of the few I mentioned above barely sold pre-Game Pass so if they didn't sell without Game Pass, why would they all of sudden sell now?

You and others don't have to like or agree with it but Microsoft going in a subscription based business model for them was the far better choice than trying to stay the same because their old traditional business model didn't work and if something isn't working, you change it and that's what Microsoft did.
Boy being an xbox one owner must be a miserable experience. Don't want to buy games NOR a next gen console.

• haha
Reactions: Cool hand luke