UK Market: PS5 Sales Up 68%, PS4 Sales Are Also Up 331% So Far This Year, DualSense Is The Best-Selling Accessory. PlayStation Remains The Market Lead

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
PS4 up 300+, and you say it's indicative of Jim/Herman being good, I belive in a dismissive way?

The PS5 should be up way more, not the older PS4. PS5 solved it's stock issues and is even BC with PS4 ffs. I'd say that looks hella bad on Jim/Herman, personally?
Ps4 was literally out of stock. It could be a couple of thousands. Jesus christ some of you

Reactions: Muddasar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
PS4 up 300+, and you say it's indicative of Jim/Herman being good, I belive in a dismissive way?

The PS5 should be up way more, not the older PS4. PS5 solved it's stock issues and is even BC with PS4 ffs. I'd say that looks hella bad on Jim/Herman, personally?
They are breaking several gaming history records for any console maker, this is the opposite of looking hella bad. They are doing a great job.

Both PS4 and PS5 shipments were highly affected by the chips shortages, this is the only reason of why they weren't way higher since during a couple years the units they were able to ship were selling out in minutes or hours. Recently the chips shortages ended, so they were able to start to highly increase console manufacturing and shipments.

During the shortages they focused the resources they had on PS5 production. Now that they can allow to support both they produce both because during a long period PS4 shipments were almost zero so they had pending demand there.

Engagement, game sales and other metrics in PS4 are now better than they were in the first year, it continues getting games and Sony always supported their home consoles during over 10 years, so they will continue supporting PS4, even if their main focus now is to support PS5 since it has even better numbers than PS4 regarding user engagement, sales/money spent per console etc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm starting to think that these numbers indicate that MS quietly discontinued the Xbox consoles, they are just selling the remaining stocks as fast as they can.

They can't tell the shills because these people made a life around the lies of Xbox, it would destroy them. And, they decorated their house, basement, appartement, bedroom in green.

Ao they would just drive themselves off the cliff, as they learned to do in Forza Horizon.
Racing Pc GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They’ll be blaming Jim/Herman for Covid and Global warming next.
So they use planes for their travels? Probably private at that! (Just like anyone really concerned with spreading the word about climate change, they just need that private jet).

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
They are breaking several gaming history records for any console maker, this is the opposite of looking hella bad. They are doing a great job.

Both PS4 and PS5 shipments were highly affected by the chips shortages, this is the only reason of why they weren't way higher since during a couple years the units they were able to ship were selling out in minutes or hours. Recently the chips shortages ended, so they were able to start to highly increase console manufacturing and shipments.

During the shortages they focused the resources they had on PS5 production. Now that they can allow to support both they produce both because during a long period PS4 shipments were almost zero so they had pending demand there.

Engagement, game sales and other metrics in PS4 are now better than they were in the first year, it continues getting games and Sony always supported their home consoles during over 10 years, so they will continue supporting PS4, even if their main focus now is to support PS5 since it has even better numbers than PS4 regarding user engagement, sales/money spent per console etc.
? That's a lot of words, brother.

I'm saying that there was some sales stat released, say, last year. That despite the chip shortages at the time, PS5 was outpacing PS4 sales over the same time from launch of each machine.

Now PS4 is up 300%+ when both machines are now readily available? That says to me there's a hell of a lot of PS4 love still, but as far as PS5 not so much?

Between cross gen/PC ports, and Valve's Deck, and following MS' streaming/GAAS blueprints, a more powerful Switch 2 to come... And Sony seem to be coasting on PS4 love, and have a rude ass awakening to come.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

I'm saying that there was some sales stat released, say, last year. That despite the chip shortages at the time, PS5 was outpacing PS4 sales over the same time from launch of each machine.

Now PS4 is up 300%+ when both machines are now readily available? That says to me there's a hell of a lot of PS4 love still, but as far as PS5 not so much?

Between cross gen/PC ports, and Valve's Deck, and following MS' streaming/GAAS blueprints, a more powerful Switch 2 to come... And Sony seem to be coasting on PS4 love, and have a rude ass awakening to come.

No it does not.

It just means there’s a 300% increase in PS4 sales.

It could be 4 PS4s sold this month compared to 1 the previous month.

Or 400 PS4s sold this month compared to 100 the previous month.

Ridiculous to compare it to the PS5 which is selling 1000s.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

MS is following Sony's game subs and streaming footprints, not the opposite. Sony is the pioneer of game subs and streaming, not MS. MS only added the multiple tiers (which Sony copied) and to put their games day one on PC and console in this sub (a suicide and desperate idea that Sony will never do).

Regarding GaaS, the majority of Sony's games in development aren't GaaS. There's nothing rare on Sony wanting to make GaaS, everyone like Nintendo, MS or any other big publisher is making GaaS. And Sony, like any other dev in both GaaS and non-GaaS learn from the most successful ones (meaning that Sony doesn't use MS as reference for their GaaS, Sony will use as reference the most successful GaaS instead).

PS4 300% of a very small number. Let's say they had 200 consoles last year, 300%+ up would be 600 consoles. We have to put it in the context of PS4 being a sunseting old console.

PS5 has also a huge increase, but from a much higher number. So the increase in amount of units increased vs the previous year is much higher in PS5 than in PS4. We're seeing the numbers in different markets, PS5 leading and PS4 only having a few units sold. Just look at the different related threads.

These poor attempts of trying to spread FUD over Sony with nonsensical claims and whining about fictional issues with many factual evidences in front of the head is the gaming equivalent of the flatearthers.

PS5 is getting a lot of love: now they solved the shortages issues they are highly increasing shipments and in a few months will be again the fastest selling PlayStation ever, and more than Switch too. PS got a shit ton of great games, including many awesome exclusivities of all kinds both big and small and from many genres, as happened with Final Fantasy XVI very recently or as will happen very soon with Helldivers 2, Spider-Man 2 or FFVII Rebirth. Sony has been increasing for years the manpower of all their studios, acquired several studios including people like Bungie, Housemarque or Bluepoint. They also invested more than ever in both 2nd party and 3rd party exclusives. They are expanding to more game types like shooters, MP or GaaS with many of the most talented and successful key devs in the business. They are also expanding to PC, mobile and cinema/tv adaptations. They recently released PSVR2 which had a better launch than PSVR1 in sales and has the best first year lineup than any VR headset ever had, includin AAA games like Gran Turismo, Horizon or a couple Resident Evil games.

I don't fucking see why do you think they don't give enough love to PS5 at all, you must be blind or something.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
TLOU2 sold 4 million in a few days and then slowed to a crawl. I do not believe it's outsold the first game yet in lifetime sales. OTOH, TOTK rapidly outpaced BOTW's sales rate and is on course to beating its lifetime sales. It's also the fastest-selling game of the year so far IIRC.

Ragnarok did sell faster than GOW 2018 but no sales update since last year. However I'd say that one is at least near 2018's lifetime sales, by this point. HFW sold about on-par with HZD at least for the first few months, but it's still pretty far from that game's lifetime sales and there's a chance it won't reach those numbers, not without pricing bundles or the such.

Truth is we haven't had enough time to gauge if the PC porting strategy is shifting expectations that could end up suppressing 1P software sales on PS consoles as people wait for (in their minds) inevitable PC ports. However, and this is just my own personal opinion, I feel Square-Enix putting out that "PC version not until six months after PS5" disclaimer for FF XVI has had a potentially negative impact on the console sales of the game. There's a decent number of people who may've likely bought it on PS5 now choosing to wait for the PC version, even if in reality it's further out than six months.
🙄 it the the first game almost 10yrs to reach 20mil why would we expect the 2nd to do so in just 3? Switch is a trash platform with barely an exclusives. It’s easier for a big Nintendo exclusive to sell more faster. It’s hard on ps because so many games are competing for player’s attention. Despite having outsold the ps4 the switch software sales in comparison aren’t anywhere near the ps4.at 125mil consoles sold the switch only recently crossed 1billion units of software. Switch is just an old ass port machine, recycled ip, reskinned games, how many new exclusive ip were released on the switch this generation? Almost nothing. How many big games released on switch the year botw dropped? Lou2 dropped in the same yr as ghost, miles, demon’s souls, Spider-Man remastered, ff7r, dreams, nioh2. Not to mention all the 3rd prty sht. Comparing a Nintendo exclusive games sales numbers to ps doesn’t make much sense because their is no much in the trash ass switch to play. It’s like comparing the sales of a 5 star restaurant to McDonald’s.