[ UK ] PS5 sales in 2023 are up 81% YoY, Switch sales down 8% and Xbox Series S and X sales down 19%.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You need to give a shit about Xbox to put things into perspective.

Why are sales down from last year in general.

Maybe its the TOTK effect.

Do you live in the UK currently?
Xbox has been down the entire year everywhere, what is here to discuss? When I say I don't care about Xbox, it means I'm not gonna focus solely on Xbox like many do in here.

Sales are going down everywhere for PS5 and I don't see how ToTK would affect that.

I don't need to live in the UK to comment on that market, that's why we have these information posted for the world outside of that market

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I agree, sales should absolutely not be declining in any month compared to their shortage era in 2022. That just shows Sony that waiting too long between big game releases effects sales. Final Fantasy should've came out probably last month to keep the flow going.
Exactly! It's expected they wouldn't be able to sustain to these sales of earlier months but the drop off has been steep and quite a few apparently has an issue if this is brought up.

They claim they want this to be the biggest year ever for playstation sales but I am not seeing how they intend to sell 25 million unless they have some deep price cuts and along a revision this year but let's see?

There's no reason for the PS5 being below May of 2022. It's a red flag for me.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs and Puff

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Exactly! It's expected they wouldn't be able to sustain to these sales of earlier months but the drop off has been steep and quite a few apparently has an issue if this is brought up.

They claim they want this to be the biggest year ever for playstation sales but I am not seeing how they intend to sell 25 million unless they have some deep price cuts and along a revision this year but let's see?

There's no reason for the PS5 being below May of 2022. It's a red flag for me.

It is surprising but I would wait a couple of months to see if this is the norm.

It has got to be the TOTK effect, summer and the lack of exclusive releases for the PS5.

Reality is barring this month for the Switch cause of TOTK, all consoles are doing poorly of late in the UK.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It is surprising but I would wait a couple of months to see if this is the norm.

It has got to be the TOTK effect, summer and the lack of exclusive releases for the PS5.

Reality is barring this month for the Switch cause of TOTK, all consoles are doing poorly of late in the UK.

Orrrr (and I know I am predictable and some might not want to hear this again) maybe it's the PC ports and lack of value / exclusives that PS5 has....

It could certainly be a part / large part of the equation.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Orrrr (and I know I am predictable and some might not want to hear this again) maybe it's the PC ports and lack of value / exclusives that PS5 has....

It could certainly be a part / large part of the equation.
That is far less likely than a brief supply shortage, or even just the Zelda OLED Switch taking some air out of the room for system sales for the competition last month.

In fact, you give PC ports an insanely overinflated importance relative to their actual stature in Sony's plans on a regular basis. Chill.

Reactions: Bryank75

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
The article addresses yearly total and monthly sales. Again Context 💡

One can comment on the yearly aspect or one can comment on the monthly aspect.

PS5 had a huge start from January - March which is why the yearly sales are up immensely.

PS5 saw a decline in sales in April

PS5 saw a decline in sales in May

PS5 sales in May 2023 are lower than they were in May 2022 during the shortage era...

Again Context. You wanna argue semantics. Again Context since the data presented here isn't one dimensional.

The End.

PS5 sales completely fell off
The context of the thread is about monthly sales though?
the paragraphs in the OP that's all about May sales for each console.

The article does clearly reference sales across 2023, so I have no idea why you were going on about it being all about May sales. PS5 sales are up massively, while Switch and Series consoles are down 8% and 19% respectively making your initial response nonsensical.

And we know thanks to Dring's tweet that PS5 is almost outselling Switch and Series consoles combined. Context.

"The end". What are you a child? You're from ResetEra arent you 😄

Semantics? No. Reality >>> narratives.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The article does clearly reference sales across 2023, so I have no idea why you were going on about it being all about May sales. PS5 sales are up massively, while Switch and Series consoles are down 8% and 19% respectively making your initial response nonsensical.

And we know thanks to Dring's tweet that PS5 is almost outselling Switch and Series consoles combined. Context.

"The end". What are you a child? You're from ResetEra arent you 😄

Semantics? No. Reality >>> narratives.
And what is this narrative? All I see you and a few others focusing on the yearly total but ignoring the monthly declines.

My point stands that's been obvious.

• haha
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
And what is this narrative? All I see you and a few others focusing on the yearly total but ignoring the monthly declines.

My point stands that's been obvious.
The narrative that the article is all about May sales and doesn't touch at all on 2023 totals, and pretending overall sales across the year arent relevant.

Like this isn't difficult. But the cope is strong it seems.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
The narrative that the article is all about May sales and doesn't touch at all on 2023 totals, and pretending overall sales across the year arent relevant.

Like this isn't difficult. But the cope is strong it seems.
Nowhere in this thread did I state the article didn't touch on 2023 total. If you're gonna fabricate lies to aid your DOA little argument at least make it look believable.

2023 totals is irrelevant to me, because guess what? My comment was about MAY sales. If you can't grasp that, then that's your issue.

The only cope I see here is you attempting to damage control declining sales. By claimimg... Bu, bu, bu, teh yearly totals.

If my comment t was shitting on Xbox declining sales it would have gotten likes in here and you wouldn't be quoting my comments either.

I'm clearly not the one here on the copium.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Nowhere in this thread did I state the article didn't touch on 2023 total. If you're gonna fabricate lies to aid your DOA little argument at least make it look believable.

2023 totals is irrelevant to me, because guess what? My comment was about MAY sales. If you can't grasp that, then that's your issue.

The only cope I see here is you attempting to damage control declining sales. By claimimg... Bu, bu, bu, teh yearly totals.

If my comment t was shitting on Xbox declining sales it would have gotten likes in here and you wouldn't be quoting my comments either.

I'm clearly not the one here on the copium.
I've already posted some of the nonsense you posted earlier in the thread. Here let me do it again as I know reading/interpretation/comprehension isn't your strong point:
PS5 sales completely fell off
The context of the thread is about monthly sales though?
the paragraphs in the OP that's all about May sales for each console.
You're now pivoting to some other nonsense about 2023 totals being irrelevant to you, when previously you were pretending that the article is all about May sales when that clearly isn't the case.

Now you're talking about declining sales...do you seriously think purely looking at May is more important than looking across the year lol. Even for you that's some dense small brain thinking 😮.

"Damage control" 😄😄😄

20230211_022814.jpg

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
May sales are incredibly important. They show that Sony is failing to capitalize on the momentum they had in q1. And the reason why they're failing to capitalize is because they haven't shown enough to excite customers. I hope they really recalibrate internally after that disastrous showcase and realize that 90% of people aren't buying a playstation for FotM live service games. Show me the first party single player bangers, or become irrelevant like Microsoft has.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I've already posted some of the nonsense you posted earlier in the thread. Here let me do it again as I know reading/interpretation/comprehension isn't your strong point:

You're now pivoting to some other nonsense about 2023 totals being irrelevant to you, when previously you were pretending that the article is all about May sales when that clearly isn't the case.

Now you're talking about declining sales...do you seriously think purely looking at May is more important than looking across the year lol. Even for you that's some dense small brain thinking 😮.

"Damage control" 😄😄😄

View attachment 1547

Bro I said the context of the article is about May... This is legit pointless. With that said PS5 sold less in May 2023 than May 2022. No matter how much you wanna focus on sales from January - March offsetting the the monthly declines.

June will be a very telling month for PS5.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I'm the farthest thing from a PS doom and gloomer and even I think May 2023 being below the 2022 shortages isn't positive. Only way that could be remotely spun that way is if May 2022 was a month of extremely high supply in the UK. 2023 is crushing 2022 on the whole, however. Might take a price cut to boost sales again - consoles are luxury items, we're in a recession and inflation is astronomical.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
Bro I said the context of the article is about May... This is legit pointless. With that said PS5 sold less in May 2023 than May 2022. No matter how much you wanna focus on sales from January - March offsetting the the monthly declines.

You said what I posted...the fact you're avoiding this is pretty pathetic.

It's like you wanted to pretend that 2023 hasnt happened. It has. With that said PS5 is almost outselling the competition combined.

It's not a reason to cry yourself to sleep though 🥲

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm the farthest thing from a PS doom and gloomer and even I think May 2023 being below the 2022 shortages isn't positive. Only way that could be remotely spun that way is if May 2022 was a month of extremely high supply in the UK. 2023 is crushing 2022 on the whole, however. Might take a price cut to boost sales again - consoles are luxury items, we're in a recession and inflation is astronomical.

Who's in a recession?

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
May sales are incredibly important. They show that Sony is failing to capitalize on the momentum they had in q1. And the reason why they're failing to capitalize is because they haven't shown enough to excite customers. I hope they really recalibrate internally after that disastrous showcase and realize that 90% of people aren't buying a playstation for FotM live service games. Show me the first party single player bangers, or become irrelevant like Microsoft has.
Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

The worst shortage was in January to March 2022 then it went up in April and May 2022 but I agree that being down on May 2023 is unexpected. Jedi Survivor was a big seller and that's next-gen only so it shouldn't be down.

I know some people are giving you a hard time but I agree with a lot of posts and I don't feel like you're an xbot or whatever they are saying. Not sure where that came from.

❤️

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The worst shortage was in January to March 2022 then it went up in April and May 2022 but I agree that being down on May 2023 is unexpected. Jedi Survivor was a big seller and that's next-gen only so it shouldn't be down.

I know some people are giving you a hard time but I agree with a lot of posts and I don't feel like you're an xbot or whatever they are saying. Not sure where that came from.

❤️
Some people can't stand any criticism even if it's backed by evidence. But these people fail to realize that lack of criticism from the core fanbase is why the xbox ended up the way it did. When the kinect came out and they started leaning into it, if the core fans had stood up the way that core fans are standing up to Sony, they would never have dared to launch xbo the way they did.