Unpopular Opinion - Insomniac is Wasting their Talents

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Insomniac is churning out high quality games for Sony at an absolutely unbelievable rate. Games are top notch, I am not arguing that, but I sure would love them to step away from the childish themes of Ratchet and Clank and Spiderman. I am more than down to play these types of games, enjoy them greatly in the variety of games I play, but these types of games will never be my absolute favorite, and I really would love to see what Insomniac could do with a fully mature world and narrative, ala TLoU.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Is Wolverine’s game to be released not mature enough?

They need their own IP, lisenced games have so much restrictions with what you can and cant do.

Absolutely not. There is more than enough games with cynical and depressed people already.

If joy and fun is what they like, that what they should make.

Insomniac used to have resistance, its time they give it another crack

• haha
Reactions: Zzero

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
In a way you are right. Their games are great technically but I think Spiderman and Marvel are lame. Only a Japanese Spiderman spin off a la far cry blood dragon would have my interest.

I wish they could use the Batman IP instead, so we kept getting great games after Arkham Knight instead of Gotham Knights and that trash rocksteady is working on.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Insomniac is churning out high quality games for Sony at an absolutely unbelievable rate. Games are top notch, I am not arguing that, but I sure would love them to step away from the childish themes of Ratchet and Clank and Spiderman. I am more than down to play these types of games, enjoy them greatly in the variety of games I play, but these types of games will never be my absolute favorite, and I really would love to see what Insomniac could do with a fully mature world and narrative, ala TLoU.

They found their working niche.

It's hard to risk into a new IP when you can work a profitable one.

Reactions: Diah

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
We need a mix and Insomniacs tone and style is an important part of the variety.

Serious games are definitely good now and then but too many of them, just gets tiring.

Wolverine is my most anticipated game and will be different to most of Insomniacs games...more gritty.

I loved everything the have done for the last ten years TBH

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
They need their own IP, lisenced games have so much restrictions with what you can and cant do.

Insomniac used to have resistance, its time they give it another crack
Did you see what happened the last time they created new IPs? Lol They created Sunset Overdrive and Fuse. Sunset was mid and Fuse was not good.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
In a way you are right. Their games are great technically but I think Spiderman and Marvel are lame. Only a Japanese Spiderman spin off a la far cry blood dragon would have my interest.

I wish they could use the Batman IP instead, so we kept getting great games after Arkham Knight instead of Gotham Knights and that trash rocksteady is working on.
Wolverine is not “lame”.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Don’t really like Sony licensing anything Marvel at all but they’ve managed to make it seem like it’s their own brand since the Raimi trilogy. So can’t hate

Reactions: Gods&Monsters

toadsage44

22 Jun 2022
West Virginia, USA
Other than Team Asobi, isn't Insomniac the only studio under Sony that isn't all doom and gloom? Do you not like variety? I'd like to see even more of the mindless fun games from other Sony studios. Gimme a Jak and Dexter remake from Naughty Dog, another Sly game from Suckerpunch, and new experiences from the other studios. Games don't have to be depressing or telling some deep story 24/7 to hold my attention.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I usually don't use this argument, but Spider-man 2 will pull >20M sales. With the previous 2 games, the "saga" will have sold perhaps 60M.

They are literally releasing games most people want to play, so their talents are not being wasted. If anything, I think they found their niche.

Calverz

28 Mar 2023
Agree. Hopefully Wolverine wont just appeal to children.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
At least now they have clout. Before this IP they were making quality games but no one payed attention. I'd rather their talents get recognized than not.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
They are.
Woke marvel games are not the way.
Ratchet Rift apart was so fun but I hated how safe and light it felt. No. I don't care about spider lady feelings

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
There has to be a middle ground behind happy go lucky games and sad dad walking with charango OST and Hollywood rejects script.

Something with 90s early 00s attitude would be great.

Reactions: Zzero and Box

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I quite liked FUSE, if the level/mission design was a little repetitive. Along with Sunset Overdrive, I wouldnt mind some AA-level sequels with improvements/modernisations to try and bolster 1P lineup.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Insomniac loves making these games though, that's why they're so good and so efficient in making them. Doing what you love and doing it extremely well is never a waste

• Shake
Reactions: catchew