Unreal Engine 5.1 now 60fps on Next Gen Console with Lumen, Nanite, and Virtual Shadow Maps

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
60fps at what resolution? I get that 800p is now acceptable as a baseline resolution, but for me, if it can't achieve 60fps at 1440p or higher, it doesn't really matter.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar
D

Deleted member 13

60fps at what resolution? I get that 800p is now acceptable as a baseline resolution, but for me, if it can't achieve 60fps at 1440p or higher, it doesn't really matter.
Ha! For a mobile device - yes. For console playing in living rooms? No.

I am also curious at their claim. Don't know what factors are there though. Matrix demo was 1080p/30FPS with Lumen doing RT. I wonder what example they are using to claim 60FPS and what resolution (native).

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Ha! For a mobile device - yes. For console playing in living rooms? No.

So you're agreeing that the Series S, for next gen gaming, is not an acceptable device for console playing in living rooms. Good to know.

I am also curious at their claim. Don't know what factors are there though. Matrix demo was 1080p/30FPS with Lumen doing RT. I wonder what example they are using to claim 60FPS and what resolution (native).

This. I can say that I can render a very expensive scene in Unity at 60fps on my machine (if it runs at 144p).

D

Deleted member 13

So you're agreeing that the Series S, for next gen gaming, is not an acceptable device for console playing in living rooms. Good to know.
Absolutely! Series S should have never been made. I get what MS was trying to do but imo it was unnecessary.

Also, I don't know if Series S renders at 800p with most of the games that run on it. I thought you was talking about the Steam Deck which is locked to 800p by default.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Absolutely! Series S should have never been made. I get what MS was trying to do but imo it was unnecessary.

Also, I don't know if Series S renders at 800p with most of the games that run on it. I thought you was talking about the Steam Deck which is locked to 800p by default.

The Series S in a lot of next gen titles runs sub 1080p. Matrix runs at sub 600p.

As for the steam deck, which is what I was referring to, it's a device you can plug in your TV. I don't get this constant "resolution not sufficient for next gen" when people find it acceptable that a console outputs 800p and that's just swell.

And I'm not shitting on the deck, I'd like to get one, if the price was not extortionate.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
My £ 350-pound ps5 just got even more awesome.

Read Hip Hip Hooray GIF

D

Deleted member 13

The Series S in a lot of next gen titles runs sub 1080p. Matrix runs at sub 600p.

As for the steam deck, which is what I was referring to, it's a device you can plug in your TV. I don't get this constant "resolution not sufficient for next gen" when people find it acceptable that a console outputs 800p and that's just swell.

And I'm not shitting on the deck, I'd like to get one, if the price was not extortionate.
The deck isn't a device designed to be a console in your living room. It's a mobile device that was designed for on-the-go travel and things where you are constantly looking at the built-in LED screen. The pixel resolution is remarkably sharp when viewing it on it's intended purpose media.

When people talk about the Steam Deck and how awesome it is, they aren't talking about it in the context of playing games on a TV but the screen it is attached to it. In that regard, it's an amazing device as you get sharp clarity with all the added rendering benefits of PC settings. In other words, taking a game up to MAX settings for ambient occlusion for example, will yield an extremely well lit scene equivalent to a PC running on native 4k TV or monitor.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The deck isn't a device designed to be a console in your living room. It's a mobile device that was designed for on-the-go travel and things where you are constantly looking at the built-in LED screen. The pixel resolution is remarkably sharp when viewing it on it's intended purpose media.

Tell that to Steam then, that have showed plenty of promo materials with it plugged to a tv. Not that I disagree with you there.

When people talk about the Steam Deck and how awesome it is, they aren't talking about it in the context of playing games on a TV but the screen it is attached to it. In that regard, it's an amazing device as you get sharp clarity with all the added rendering benefits of PC settings. In other words, taking a game up to MAX settings for ambient occlusion for example, will yield an extremely well lit scene equivalent to a PC running on native 4k TV or monitor.

It's a very nice device indeed

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think you are just a bit early to the party...

"High scalability level is set for a 60 fps budget. However, note that achieving a 60 fps budget with acceptable quality is still a work in progress."

It does support 60fps but the quality is no there... at least at acceptable level.
Devs will still be using:

"Epic scalability level is set for a 30 fps budget (8 ms for global illumination and reflections) at 1080p on next-generation consoles."

Just remember that using Low and Medium scalability disables Lunem.

PS. Nanite was already ready to 60fps... it is a 4.5ms cost in GPU that fits the bill for a 60fps render time (you have still 10-12ms to do everything else)... the issue was always Lumen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13

I think you are just a bit early to the party...

"High scalability level is set for a 60 fps budget. However, note that achieving a 60 fps budget with acceptable quality is still a work in progress."

It does support 60fps but the quality is no there... at least at acceptable level.
Devs will still be using:

"Epic scalability level is set for a 30 fps budget (8 ms for global illumination and reflections) at 1080p on next-generation consoles."

Just remember that using Low and Medium scalability disables Lunem.

PS. Nanite was already ready to 60fps... it is a 4.5ms cost in GPU that fits the bill for a 60fps render time (you have still 10-12ms to do everything else)... the issue was always Lumen.
As it should be. Nanite is light on the rendering pipeline. It always will be that lighting/shading is the bulk of the expensive in any given frame. This is why I preach about bandwidth so much. Having an insane amount of triangles for assets is pretty trivial for the GPU. Rendering those triangles (i.e. rasterizing them) is where bandwidth is a problem for GPUs.

Reactions: Katajx and ethomaz

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
What about any of the Steam Deck models makes them extortionately priced? They're all priced very appropriately, and compared to other similar devices on the market they're comparatively cheap.

Old Gamer

Veteran
5 Aug 2022
What about any of the Steam Deck models makes them extortionately priced? They're all priced very appropriately, and compared to other similar devices on the market they're comparatively cheap.
I think that the 512gb model is disproportionately priced, but I can't fault Valve for trying to recover their investment.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
I think that the 512gb model is disproportionately priced, but I can't fault Valve for trying to recover their investment.
How so? It's got an SSD that's double the size and faster, it's got an etched glass screen and a better carrying case plus the additional platform bonuses.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Unreal Engine 5.1 now 60fps on Next Gen Console with Lumen, Nanite, and Virtual Shadow Maps​

ScholarlyAccurateBonobo-max-1mb.gif
Well just read the little works in the documentation...

"note that achieving a 60 fps budget with acceptable quality is still a work in progress."

They announced something that is not ready yet in whatever they find "acceptable".

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Well just read the little works in the documentation...

"note that achieving a 60 fps budget with acceptable quality is still a work in progress."

They announced something that is not ready yet in whatever they find "acceptable".
Where’s the document you are referencing?

Here are the release notes… https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.1/en-US/unreal-engine-5.1-release-notes/

“The biggest quality improvements can be seen when Lumen is using the High Global Illumination scalability level, which is targeted at 60fps on next generation consoles.”

P

peter42O

Will never understand why so many people are against Xbox Series S when you're not the target audience and I don't want to hear bullshit about it holding back any fucking games when nearly every game has been cross-gen where the 2013 Xbox One and PS4 base models are far more obsolete than the Series S could ever be but yet, this console is the issue? Nah, maybe the studios don't know what they're doing. Gotham Knights which was built on last gen hardware couldn't do shit on Series X AND PS5 and even if people wanted to blame Series S for Series X, that still doesn't explain the non-60fps mode on PlayStation 5 which has nothing to do with Xbox. People really need to stop blaming a console just because they don't like it or because it will increase Xbox console sales.

On topic - Unreal Engine doing 60fps is great and just give me 1080p native and then use the upscaling techniques to get the image quality to look like 4K. Resolution and pixel counts will become obsolete this generation and those who still believe that this is vital to image quality simply haven't been paying attention.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Didn't Epic say there was a huge overhead for growth on the PS5. People looked at the Matrix Demo and felt this was all it could do, but that was still early days with the technology. A game would utilize the tech much more efficiently than Matrix which was just putting the most on screen as possible.

• fire
Reactions: PlacidusaX