Update one of first Spiderman reviews inside 🔥🔥Spiderman Previews. Looks like another gem and goty contender 🔥🔥🔥🕷️🕷️🕷️🕸️🕸️🕸️

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
1694795009498.png

September 15, 2023

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2: hands-on report – gameplay details on symbiote powers, combat, PS5 features and more​

Marvel’s Spider-Man 2: hands-on report – gameplay details on symbiote powers, combat, PS5 features and more

This past week has been a good one for Spidey fans. With just over a month until Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 swings onto the PS5 console, we’re getting a clearer idea of what we can expect come October 20. Insomniac Games has given us a closer look at the Super Hero and Super Villains cast with new character posters. Little under 24 hours ago we enjoyed a tour of the expanded Marvel’s New York (and a look at new suits) at State of Play. And today, you can get a deeper dive into the game’s combat, activities, story and more thanks to an extensive hands-on we had with a preview build of the game, bolstered by further insight from key staff who worked on the project – Senior Creative Director Bryan Intihar, Senior Game Director Ryan Smith, and Senior Narrative Director Jon Paquette.
This extended slice of gameplay took place some way through the story, a tense cutscene face-off between Kraven and a symbiote-encased Spider-Man serving as opener and concluding where the gameplay reveal earlier this year began. Between volatile science experiments and community exhibition break-ins requiring Super Heroic fists and smarts to solve, new activities to test Web Wings with, crimes to halt, tough boss fights to tackle, laughs to be had, and great character work to enjoy.
In the days prior to the event, I fired up the previous games to retrain my muscle memory and more accurately compare against what was to come. By the time I had to reluctantly set down my DualSense controller, initial impressions were overwhelmingly positive: Insomniac Games is firing on all cylinders with a Super Heroic sequel that’s richer, denser. One that packs in a ton of heart. Here’s why.
6f1c08f0666d31bf3a8745f3e2c1b6dd6e31c108-scaled.jpg
View and download image
A tale of two Spiders: After being the focus of a game apiece, Peter Parker and Miles Morales have equal billing in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. Outside main story beats that guide you to play one or the other, you’re mostly free to quickly swap between them (the PS5 console’s SSD zipping you nearly instantly to either Spidey at a button press, with the studio promising some fun character moments as perspectives shift). They share a chunk of side activities, Spider gadgets, and base upgrade paths but also have unique storylines, missions, and skills to unlock. Button layouts are identical (suit gadgets mapped to R1, unique skills to L1, four of either active at one time and activated in conjunction with a face button), and similar abilities means you’re never stuck relearning moves come a character switch.
Evolved move-sets with backstory: The game’s reveal trailer had Peter utilizing his four mechanized Spider-Arms to defeat foes. What was just one of many customizable suit powers in the original Marvel’s Spider-Man is now – until the symbiote comes into play – his default loadout, for reasons that Insomniac are tight-lipped about but say will be explained in the game. The same is true of Miles’s two distinct colorings for his bio-electrical Venom powers, also shown in the trailer and evident in my playthrough. Intihar hints that this evolving powerset plays into Miles’s story arc. Both mechanical and electrical powers have their own skill tree, XP gradually unlocks AOE attacks, multi-foe launchers, and more. An early favorite is Spider Shock, Pete’s mechanical Spider-Arms stabbing directly forward with the speed and grace of the arachnid they’re based on – and firing off an electrical cascade that fries anyone caught in its web. I’m delighted when I activate Wall Smash, reliving a moment from the gameplay reveal sequence firsthand as Peter balances on one hand and rapidly kicks a thug against a nearby wall with both feet. There’s a multitude of additional options to standard combat options as well.
giphy.gif

The studio continues to incorporate learnings from its previous PS5 games like Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, with the DualSense controller communicating a wealth of situationally-accurate feedback in its haptics, hinting at what it could feel like to wear and wield the Black Suit.
Crowd-controlling Spider Gadgets: The iconic web-shooters are still tactically sound to web up a single enemy with a rapid tap of R1. Their capacity is doubled to twelve slots, and recharge quickly. I had two gadgets at my disposal in the demo. One – Upshot – deploys a drone that peppers web shots at nearby enemies, knocking them into the air. Web Grabber was the firm favorite, though, firing out webbing from all sides, then yanking anything attached back in rapidly, primed for an AOE strike takedown. And I mean anything: triggering the gadget during a back-alley scrap with robbers pulled not only criminals but a nearby sewer drain cover which launched into the group with the power and accuracy of a missile. Unexpected and hilarious.
The savage symbiote: It’s been a headline addition since announcement, and the hands-on did not shy away from letting me get to grips with the awesome power of the Black Suit. Pete’s already wearing it at the demo’s beginning, and like his mechanical arms, it has its own skill tree, with a foursome of attacks already mapped and primed come my first scrap with a pack of Kraven’s Hunters. As seen in the gameplay reveal, you can toss out tendrils that’ll auto-grab and lift enemies in the vicinity, before powerfully slamming them back into the earth. Symbiote Strike has the suit envelope Peter into a writhing mass that shoots forward, momentum and additional extruding spikes catapulting an enemy backwards, whereas Symbiote Punch is an all-powerful launcher leaving enemies stunned and airborne, ready for follow-up combos. The word that kept coming to mind during Peter’s fights was “brutal”, with punchy audio, visual spectacle, and controller feedback working together to convey a powered-up Peter leaning into his symbiote-assisted strengths. This suit’s L3 + R3 special Symbiote Surge is a savage, whirling, fast-paced grab-and-slam attack that lets you manually target and permanently ground enemies. Its debut comes at the climax of an escalating lab fight that closes out the demo’s first story mission and leaves me open-mouthed.
giphy.gif

The demo offered a sample selection of side activities and incidental opportunities. Aside from still being able to interact with civilians or snap photo ops, you can pick up Spider Bots (each’s paint job cutely emulating a specific Spider-Man suit from across the years), deploy Web Wings and chase Talon Drones, using their own slipstream to catch up, or discover reappropriated Underground armory crates. A quick tap of the analog stick will activate your visor to visually highlight nearby activities.
Hunter’s Bell: While I fully expect Insomniac to find new approaches and bring us unexpected surprises when it comes to the Black Suit, they’re retaining a key element of its mythos: it’s hypersensitive to sound. A tense church-set cutscene that opens the demo not only spectacularly reveals (and sells) the former imperfection – and communicates the unpleasantness far too well through DualSense controller’s feedback – but also, in a single encounter, cements Kraven as an intriguing, self-assured presence (Intihar calls him “unpredictable”) as he comes face to face with his adversary. Insomniac reminds me he’s a relative anomaly in the Spider-Man food chain: he’s not driven by revenge, nor has any entwined personal histories with the core Spider cast. Paquette pegs a key part of his personality is the need to find someone “bigger, better and stronger” than him. He’s an intriguing addition.

Monsters and transformations: It also speaks to a thematic shift in Marvel’s Spider-Man 2. The majority of villains in the first two games, as well as Marvel’s Spider-Man: The City That Never Sleeps narrative, were tech-based. Insomniac have purposely leaned away from that for this sequel, looking to villains – to monsters – that can offer something different both narratively and gameplay-wise. Lizard and Venom are monstrosities that also tap into the theme of transformation: even Mister Negative, one villain making a return, embodies that not only in his own changes, but how he transformed Miles’ life with the death of Miles’ father, Jefferson Davis. And who better to tackle monsters than a hunter like Kraven?

giphy.gif

Attachments

• 1694794771643.png
    1694794771643.png
    749.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1694795911853.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Game screams quality for its scale.
Hell Yes, these last two days really have got me hyped. Remember the narrative few days ago? Where's Sony's Spiderman advertising and push smh bro this game will push itself and the positive word of mouth from previews. Not to mention there is always Spiderman advertising even in theaters. Ppl have this weird cycle and revisionist history and forget how Sony does shit and the games come through.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Looks awesome. Way more excited over this one than the original.
I dont see it getting GOTY but 89 overall score should be doable

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Looks awesome. Way more excited over this one than the original.
I dont see it getting GOTY but 89 overall score should be doable
Ppl connect goty to one show but goty comes from dozens, shit more than 100 sites. It will win a gd amount of goty awards from sites if it ends up following through going by these previews.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Looks neat does a better job of making spiderman look cool than the shows do but I'm sure all those combos are just someone mashing a button.
The enemy variety in Spider-man, specially DLC and Miles Morales Spider-man force non-button smashing. Some enemies require shield breaking/removal, some require web grabs, air grabs, counters, dodges to approach etc that all break a button smashing approach. The game design does not encourage button smashing but instead incentivizes combo-understanding and enemy type understanding. On a vacuum button smashing only works on the simplest enemy type and since encounters are always filled with a variety of enemy types you're not going to be engaged in button-smashing often. Only in spurs when isolating a single enemy that may happen provided it's an enemy with a beefy health bar. Even in this instance, enemies that absorb many hits have counters of their own to break up button-smashing - brutes in particular, and you learn that quick and the hard way.

Button-smashing has been smartly reduced as a design goal by the different type of enemies. It's way more complex than Souls for example or your typical hack n slash game of the Japanese variety.

You should play the game.

Last edited:

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
DualSense controller communicating a wealth of situationally-accurate feedback in its haptics, hinting at what it could feel like to wear and wield the Black Suit.

I'm guessing this amounts to spider sense rumble. The future is now.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Looks neat does a better job of making spiderman look cool than the shows do but I'm sure all those combos are just someone mashing a button.

They say the combat in this game will force you to use all your different abilities and gagdets, they are really expanding how you play more so than the first game which did require different strategies.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I liked combat the way it was in the first game, there was a lot of options but it didn't feel like a chore for me like Batman does. At some point Arkham combat became unfun for me because I don't actually enjoy having to use a single specific option on specific enemies constantly, I want to just beat the shit out of a crowd as a superhero with options.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
VFX_VET DETECTED

I find the raytracing in this game to be perhaps the worst I've ever seen and sony's games look terrible and are behind the curve graphically. If you look closely at
Daggerfall's raytracing you'll see they did a better job with that game's lighting. It looks so much better and plays more realistically. Also see this part in last of us where that one character twitches their nose in a cutscene look how poorly animated the nose is. Sony should do better than this. Trust me bro I'm a expert on this.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I find the raytracing in this game to be perhaps the worst I've ever seen and sony's games look terrible and are behind the curve graphically. If you look closely at
Daggerfall's raytracing you'll see they did a better job with that game's lighting. It looks so much better and plays more realistically. Also see this part in last of us where that one character twitches their nose in a cutscene look how poorly animated the nose is. Sony should do better than this. Trust me bro I'm a expert on this.
I Stopped reading at "Sony's games look terrible" compared to what? I know you not comparing it to switch or Xbox exclusives as Sony generation after generation has wiped the floor with both consoles pushing graphics and tech innovation and engines. It's not even comparable. This isn't even debatable. I mean you have tons of "experts" who say the same then you have the nerve to bring up tlou2 🤣🤣 one of the game's who hold the graphics mantel on consoles smh and performs great.

I know you trolling but damn bro...

Also trust me I'm am expert on this.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I Stopped reading at "Sony's games look terrible" compared to what? I know you not comparing it to switch or Xbox exclusives as Sony generation after generation has wiped the floor with both consoles pushing graphics and tech innovation and engines. It's not even comparable. This isn't even debatable. I mean you have tons of "experts" who say the same then you have the nerve to bring up tlou2 🤣🤣 one of the game's who hold the graphics mantel on consoles smh and performs great.

I know you trolling but damn bro...

I think the tlou2 is a goodlooking game I'm just throwing out ad absurdum for the lols.
Also trust me I'm am expert on this.
Futurama Squinting GIF