Updated Frequently: Hands on with PSVR2 Gran Turismo update! Yes, entire campaign 🔥🔥 Also IGN preview. And other PSVR2 news in here!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
VR rendering is lighter than split-screen.
Most of render schene is the same... the addicitional rendering is the diferent view points.

Split-screen = two different renders.
VR = same render with different viewpoints

That is why it is not rendering 2x 2000x2040... it close to rendering 2000x2040... it shoudl be around 60-70% of the actual 2x 2000x2040.

With foveable rendering it is even lighter because it choose to rull render only the parts you are looking while the others are a more light render.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The normal split screen requires way more work than the one required for this VR rendering.

Let's say the case a racing game where one player is in a corner of the circuit looking to the north while the other player is in the opposite corner looking to the east. It would require to have more stuff in memory than in the case of having only a player, and also the rendering pipeline would have to do many steps twice because would be very different for each screen. Even ignoring having to process the 2P player controls, its effects, etc. the 2P split screen requires a lot of extra work.

Something that doesn't apply for the VR case, which would be way simpler and most of these things wouldn't needed to be done twice. In fact, even most of the ones that still have to be done 'twice', considering that both cameras are always very close and always at the same distance and relative position can be easily optimized to be done in way less time than it would normally be required being done twice.
No disagreement on added memory required between 2 completely different scenes vs one scene sharing assets. Assuming those assets are not in memory already there are overheads inherent in streaming those assets.

Added Logic for split screen multiplayer and controls also agreed.

Apart from the above, considering purely the rendering time for 2 different viewports; is most definitely twice the rendering time vs a single viewport. Makes no difference the camera is very close - 2 passes are necessary.

In saying that VR has other savings where less post processing can be applied due to no need in VR e.g Dof or film grain, etc. Psvr2 foveate ability to cull quality and effects at the periphery is likely the biggest driver for optimisation.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
No disagreement on added memory required between 2 completely different scenes vs one scene sharing assets. Assuming those assets are not in memory already there are overheads inherent in streaming those assets.

Added Logic for split screen multiplayer and controls also agreed.

Apart from the above, considering purely the rendering time for 2 different viewports; is most definitely twice the rendering time vs a single viewport. Makes no difference the camera is very close - 2 passes are necessary.

In saying that VR has other savings where less post processing can be applied due to no need in VR e.g Dof or film grain, etc. Psvr2 foveate ability to cull quality and effects at the periphery is likely the biggest driver for optimisation.
I mean, there are a lot of things involved on rendering an image that only would be needed to be done once: stuff like culling could be done using a "bigger camera" that would cover the area seen by at least one of eyes and that wouldn't cull what it's in the area seen by at least one of them.

Sure, that wouldn't cull some stuff that isn't seen by one of the eyes, but the optimization lost here would be more than compensated by the one coming from foveated. And the time doing this type of culling would be faster than doing two full cullings. Specially considering how PS5 can do these things accoring to Cerny.

Many tricks like this one can be done.

120 fps per eye was confirmed by the dev, was it not?
Yes, but pretty likely the game is really running at 60fps (per eye) and then it gets retroprojected to 120fps (per eye).

Last edited:
  • Informative
D

Deleted member 417

Sorry for sounding like a dummy but isn't 120fps still 120 fps? What's the difference between 120fps and reprojected 120 fps? Isn't it still 120fps?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Sorry for sounding like a dummy but isn't 120fps still 120 fps? What's the difference between 120fps and reprojected 120 fps? Isn't it still 120fps?
In the first you have 120 different frames... the other you have 60 different frames and others 60 frames are "guessed".

FRAME 1
FRAME GUESSED USING OLD FRAMES
FRAME 2
FRAME 3
FRAME 4

If the "guess" is well good you have similar experience to 120fps but if it it is not that good then you have issues like localizaed artifacts.
The point is even doing a really great guessing you are still open to artificacts because it is impossible to have constant perfect guesses.

Last edited:
  • Informative
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I wonder why no more psvr2 GT previews? The ones we got last week were only like four ppl we were circle jerking around. Must have only got into a few hands. Floodgates about to open next week.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Wanted to drop this again since ppl ask about what updates are coming since there's no native bc.

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022
Yeah. This is a pretty big one for me. I didn't have a Dreamcast until way later in life but, I remember playing this at my cousins house a lot back in the early 2000's. It was such an addiction that I would play it for hours on end (Everyone else was on Xbox). I did not think we would get a sequel and especially in VR of all things. I am glad SEGA is licensing their IP's to other devs so this stuff can happen. Once I get PSVR2 this will be one of the first purchases I make.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yeah. This is a pretty big one for me. I didn't have a Dreamcast until way later in life but, I remember playing this at my cousins house a lot back in the early 2000's. It was such an addiction that I would play it for hours on end (Everyone else was on Xbox). I did not think we would get a sequel and especially in VR of all things. I am glad SEGA is licensing their IP's to other devs so this stuff can happen. Once I get PSVR2 this will be one of the first purchases I make.
I never played it but thnks for putting it on my radar. Now I will Def chk it out.

Reactions: TwistedSyn

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
End users are getting their units alreadyreddit link

Cinema mode screen is very big! I had to tune down to 20% out of 100%. At 20% it felt way bigger than my Lg G2 77inch.
Played ghost of tsushima and astro. It is very sharp image, I can easily imagine playing cinema mode which I never even considered before.
Sound does not come from tv when using ps vr2 only from headphones. Screen does have very slight film like cover or something similar on cinema mode, very nonexistant but you need to focus on it.
Bear in mind there is no patch out yet to connect ps vr2 with the current software. The unit is so light you can keep it whole day. Cinema mode gives you no nausea effect at all. Overwatch felt 120fps when I played it, It felt right at home and due to pitch black surrounding it was more immersive than playing on tv.
More stuff coming soon