VFX Artist for Bossa Studios claims Many Devs have been desperately trying to get Series S dropped - it’s an albatross for next gen

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

Ffg6hPJWIAE5shk.jpg

What are your thoughts? The gen has barely started, how will the S hold back innovation later in the gen?

Edit: tweet now deleted, Phil must’ve gotten on the horn he’s going to pull the dudes gamepass privilege.

Not quite sure how to get screencaps on here….

Edit Mod Note : Added link to Story

Last edited by a moderator:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I always found the argument "but it has to run on lower spec PCs anyway" kind of dumb, as the min specs can be raised if necessary by devs at anytime (if they are allowed by their publishers, but that's a topic for a different discussion) and decided on a game-by-game basis.

And having the necessity to optimize for yet another platform inevitably consumes resources which could be used to improve the other versions.

If MS is smart, they will soon loosen the obligation for a native Series S port and allow streaming-only games. Otherwise all other platforms will suffer because of it.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
i have friends on ubi,EA,bad robot and some other devs houses and i can assure you this is true,they all hate this thing,it boggles my mind how journos and the usual suspects where cheering this console like the next bing thing and a gotcha moment from ms,also its pretty funny to see xbots who bragged about the whole 12 TF thing embracing the console because in their minds this thing is a great price adventage vs competition,when in reallity is a stone in their neck

D

Deleted member 13

What are your thoughts? The gen has barely started, how will the S hold back innovation layer in the gen?

I'm not sure. Game devs graphics engines are agnostic anyway (with different compile targets for the various platforms). I think it's more of a burden to have to worry about getting 3 platforms as opposed to 2 platforms to work optimally.

• haha
  • brain
Reactions: EDMIX and ethomaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I mean its a pretty stupid move from day 1.
Journalists including hardcore Playstation fans like Colin were shitting on PS4 Pro and how it would ruin the console industry and make things so hard for developers dealing with 2 SKU’s. That it was dumb, pointless and blah blah blah.

Not a single fucking word when Xbox released Xbox 1 X1 or whatever it was called, Project Scorpion. It was praised instead, even though it has a the shortest lifespan for a console.

Then came Series S.
Its anti Next gen and its the first time in recent console history that a platform releases 2 different spec Consoles at once.

Why did MS do it, because they need a cheaper machine to sell so they can say they sold closer to PS5. Lame

Reactions: Hobbygaming

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Supporting more consoles means require more work. If a game is crossgen, you have to make more sacrifices to make your game looking decent in all platforms.

In theory, if you make your game next gen only you get rid of many issues and can push things like the visuals and more things forward. But in the current gen it isn't much for multiplatforms and Xbox exclusives because of Series S limitations.

The games being published now started with game engines and game designs made for the previous gen, so don't take advantage of next gen stuff: they are basically previous gen games running at higher resolution and fps and little more. So for them Series S isn't much of a problem.

But for games to be released in a few years really, ones really taking advantage of the next gen stuff will really hate Series S. It's when we'll start seeing a big difference between PS5 exclusives and the other games. Regarding PC doesn't matter, because they'll drop lower spec PCs when needed.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Lower hardware hold game development on higher hardware… no news here… any developer will want to focus in what gives them the best results so wanting to remove Series S from console development is not a surprise.

BTW it is the same reason we Sony fans don’t support the multi generation development that Sony is doing this Gen.

It needs to move to PS5 only asap.

Edit - He deleted the twitter due people cursing him :D it was a reply to Jeff Gerstmann.

Last edited:

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Lower hardware hold game development on higher hardware… no news here… any developer will want to focus in what gives them the best results so wanting to remove Series S from console development is not a surprise.

BTW it is the same reason we Sony fans don’t support the multi generation development that Sony is doing this Gen.

It needs to move to PS5 only asap.
Multi-generational support is not the same as the Series S being in the development pipeline. Apples to oranges.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
BTW this is an old subject.
ID Tech guy already said lower specs indeed hold your game development years ago.

FfgV35QXEAAdGMl

Like I said in the other thread I truly wanted to see how jaw dropping should be a game made specifically for RTX 4090 + Top Dog CPU without any lower hardware holding the developer design, vision and code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kaluas

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
It is exactly the same since both are based in the same x86 arch.
It was indeed different when consoles used more optimized and eccentric technologies.
It's not exactly the same, the CPU is the same as the PS5 and Series X, it has an SSD, it has a GPU nearly on level with the Xbox One X targeting lower resolution with advanced feature sets and more RAM than a PS4 Pro.

Them being x86 isn't carte blanche to call them the same... It's weaker, but it's a current generation system built on current generation technology.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Was a great idea in the short term....but a terrible idea in the longterm.

Series S should stop being produced and developers should stop supporting next year.

I also think it is stupid to count series s towards current gen hardware.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Was a great idea in the short term....but a terrible idea in the longterm.

Series S should stop being produced and developers should stop supporting next year.

I also think it is stupid to count series s towards current gen hardware.
What is last generation about the Series S? Nothing.

Reactions: Bryank75