Were both Nintendo and Sony right in doing this.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It wasn’t the right decision. What we have is the gutted remnants of Japan studio.

Only one team survived. Team Asobi. 2 if you include Polyphony digital which left after the success of Gran Turismo.

Team ICO is gone so no ICO, Last Guardian and Shadow of the Colossus type games. Ueda has a big part to play in that.

Project Siren or Team Gravity also gone so no horror games or Gravity Rush games.

This team comprised of ex Silent Hill developers.
I think it was to you, a few days ago I listed where Gravity Rush 2 devs worked after it, basically they did spread across different non-Team Gravity Japan Studio games made being several of them in Astro Bot Rescue Misson or Astro's Playroom.

Time ago I did check Team ICO, it's the same: most of them they also worked before and after in many non-Team ICO Japan Studio games. Several of them also in both Astro games.

In addition to these Team Gravity and Team ICO workers who already were in Team Asobi before the restructuring, more joined in the restructuring.

Some of them also rotated helping in their XDEV team when formally was inside Japan Studio. There are people who also worked in some of these internally developed Japan Studio games now in XDEV Japan after the restucturing, and have worked in Death Stranding Director's Cut, Rise of the Ronin or Stellar Blade. Plus there may be other ones working in other 2nd party games like Death Stranding 2.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Whats your take on nintendo not buying alphadream tho. Do you think we are in a better place for it or not? I wonder if we might of gotten a paper mario 1 remake before a ttyd remake by now

Sony needed Japan Studio more than Nintendo needed Alphadream.

One was also First Party while the other was Third Party so not sure you can blame Nintendo for their closure.

Nintendo can make Mario & Luigis themselves which they are doing.

Can Sony do the same for games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush and Forbidden Siren?

I doubt.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Sony needed Japan Studio more than Nintendo needed Alphadream.

One was also First Party while the other was Third Party so not sure you can blame Nintendo for their closure.

Nintendo can make Mario & Luigis themselves which they are doing.

Can Sony do the same for games like ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush and Forbidden Siren?

I doubt.
Its been almost 9 years since the last mario and luigi game tho and that one was also a paper mario game. We also dont know if this new one is all in house made

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Who else would make those? If you mean spiritual, sure, but Sony is making the sequels to those.
The several dozens of people who worked on them and continues there in Team Asobi and (with some 2nd party team) XDEV Japan could work on them. They continue there doing games.

But I assume they won't be interested on making sequels of games that had poor sales and instead will chase concepts with potential to don't be money pits and instead appeal a global market and be profitable, or at least sustainable.

Last edited:

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
The many people who worked on them and continues there in Team Asobi and XDEV Japan could work on them. Or they could search some 2nd party team to make it.

But I assume they won't be interested on making sequels of games that had poor sales.
Yeah, we are passed any chance for an attempt to revive these games.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
100%. One team being great doesn't excuse or make up for all that was lost.

Since you mention Silen Hill, instead of a game made by ex-Silent Hill devs we get an undesirable remake of Silent Hill 2.

Ex Silent Hill developers and former Japan Studios Team Gravity are now at Bokeh game studio making Slitterhead.

You also have Team ICO which is now Gen Design making games for EPIC.

No chance they want to work with Sony again especially Gen Design and Ueda.

Baffling Sony closed them.

More baffling was Sony selling Sony Online Entertainment with their IPs and now they are chasing the GaaS money.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, we are passed any chance for an attempt to revive these games.
You don't like games like Death Stranding, Astro Bot, Stellar Blade or Rise of the Ronin? Their teams have many people who also worked on these games you mentioned.

Ex Silent Hill developers and former Japan Studios Team Gravity are now at Bokeh game studio making Slitterhead.

You also have Team ICO which is now Gen Design making games for EPIC.

No chance they want to work with Sony again especially Gen Design and Ueda.

Baffling Sony closed them.

More baffling was Sony selling Sony Online Entertainment with their IPs and now they are chasing the GaaS money.
Sony didn't close them, Team Asobi and XDEV exist and continue making games like Death Stranding series, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin or Astro Bot.

Baffling is to see people acting as if they don't exist.

• haha
Reactions: Orangee and Zzero

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Its been almost 9 years since the last mario and luigi game tho and that one was also a paper mario game. We also dont know if this new one is all in house made

Theres nothing in Mario & Luigi that an in house Nintendo studio can’t do.

Unlike games like ICO, SOTC, Last Guardian etc.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Theres nothing in Mario & Luigi that an in house Nintendo studio can’t do.

Unlike games like ICO, SOTC, Last Guardian etc.
We have yet to see bluepoints first original game and housemarque could make something very japan studios like and might have more commercial sucess.
I think nintendo will have no problem outdoing bowesers inside story and dream team with the new game but seeing how paper mario turned out from super paper mario to l oragami king. There is a good chance they dont reach the heights of superstar saga

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I like them, but I don't think Sony sees money in them, except for DS.
Rise of the Ronin is the fastest seling Team Ninja (or Koei Tecmo?) game ever, meaning it has potential to sell around or beyond the 5M units they expected to sell. Which would be on the Death Stranding ballpark.

We saw Stellar Blade topping sales charts, so for the context of a hack & slash will have good sales numbers. It's pretty likely that may end being the best selling series of the genre after GoW and DMCV, selling more than the previous (non DMC5) DMC games, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and the other ones of the genre.

In the case of Stellar Blade it's also important to consider that beyond making money with it, it's part of the strategy of partnering with teams from China, Korea, India etc. to grow their business in these countries via console, PC and mobile. Remember that Shift Up is also a very successful mobile gaming dev.

We have yet to see bluepoints first original game
We already saw it, it was God of War Ragnarok. Broke Sony's launch window sales records.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
We have yet to see bluepoints first original game and housemarque could make something very japan studios like and might have more commercial sucess.
I think nintendo will have no problem outdoing bowesers inside story and dream team with the new game but seeing how paper mario turned out from super paper mario to l oragami king. There is a good chance they dont reach the heights of superstar saga

Have Western developers like Bluepoint and Housemarque capture the same magic as Japan Studios?

I have yet to see it happen.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Have Western developers like Bluepoint and Housemarque capture the same magic as Japan Studios?

Their western teams made tons of games better than turds like Knack or Knack 2, The Tomorrow Children, No Heroes Allowed and so on.

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
Rise of the Ronin is the fastest seling Team Ninja (or Koei Tecmo?) game ever, meaning it has potential to sell around or beyond the 5M units they expected to sell. Which would be on the Death Stranding ballpark.

We saw Stellar Blade topping sales charts, so for the context of a hack & slash will have good sales numbers. It's pretty likely that may end being the best selling series of the genre after GoW and DMCV, selling more than the previous (non DMC5) DMC games, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden and the other ones of the genre.

In the case of Stellar Blade it's also important to consider that beyond making money with it, it's part of the strategy of partnering with teams from China, Korea, India etc. to grow their business in these countries via console, PC and mobile. Remember that Shift Up is also a very successful mobile gaming dev.

We already saw it, it was God of War Ragnarok. Broke Sony's launch window sales records.
I see your point, I just don't believe it.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

I believe that Housemarque made the best Sony game of all time, barring Bloodborne. This maybe a hot take to most but I genuinely believe that 😂

Hatefield

I am the law
18 Jun 2024
I believe that Housemarque made the best Sony game of all time, barring Bloodborne. This maybe a hot take to most but I genuinely believe that 😂
A lukewarm take. If you said it was better then Bloodborne, we would have major issues.

• Cerny
Reactions: voke

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I kind of agree with this. Shuting down Japan studio was a mistake, regardless if most of the staff is in Asobi. Asobi is not Japan studios.
Where did this lie come from that most of the staff is in Asobi? Yurinka is very disingenuous about this, so I hope it's not from them you take this information.

Asobi has less than 70 people and around 20 - 30 people or so were transfered over from Japan Studios.

Asobi was a studio within Japan studio. I feel like people keep forgetting Japan Studios was a hubris of studios

Reactions: voke

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There were actually two late-3DS era remakes that sold badly. They are probably what killed the studio, alongside an inability to transition from 3DS development to Switch development.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Their western teams made tons of games better than turds like Knack or Knack 2, The Tomorrow Children, No Heroes Allowed and so on.

I was specifically talking about Bluepoint and Housemarque.

Can they or anyone else capture the magic that Japanese games from Japan Studios had?

Games like ICO, Last Guardian and SOTC?

NO. Lets be honest here.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I was specifically talking about Bluepoint and Housemarque.

Can they or anyone else capture the magic that Japanese games from Japan Studios had?

Games like ICO, Last Guardian and SOTC?

NO. Lets be honest here.
Well, two of those games were arty farty ewwie pooie gooie spewie, so yeah, easily surpassed.