Were both Nintendo and Sony right in doing this.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Where did this lie come from that most of the staff is in Asobi? Yurinka is very disingenuous about this, so I hope it's not from them you take this information.

Asobi has less than 70 people and around 20 - 30 people or so were transfered over from Japan Studios.

Asobi was a studio within Japan studio. I feel like people keep forgetting Japan Studios was a hubris of studios

Most are gone. The studio was gutted.

Team Gravity is now Bokeh Game Studio.

Team ICO is now Gen Design.

Team Asobi remains was basically a small team within Japan Studio which worked on the Astro stuff.

Polyphony digital became a separate Sony studio after Gran Turismo became successful.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I believe that Housemarque made the best Sony game of all time, barring Bloodborne. This maybe a hot take to most but I genuinely believe that 😂

Not my time of game if you are referring to Returnal.

Not a fan of Rogue like or whatever you call these games.

Still I can see why many people like them.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
There were actually two late-3DS era remakes that sold badly. They are probably what killed the studio, alongside an inability to transition from 3DS development to Switch development.
I know i didnt type it but i meant last new m&l game. Yeah i know the remakes have extra content put paper jam is the last brand new one

Ico

8 May 2024
Sony didn't close them, Team Asobi and XDEV exist and continue making games like Death Stranding series, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin or Astro Bot.

i think most people mostly refer to the directors like ueda and toyama when they talk about how they miss the ico and gravity teams, you can have most of the work force and they will make whatever game the lead person want, since they are talented devs

BUT

when you lose ueda and toyama you wont see asobi and xdev making games like ico, sotc, tlg and gravity rush anymore, bc lead directors like these two made the entire difference on their games

Reactions: Orangee

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
It’s over with for Japan studio, we are lucky to even have Asobi. It’s been 8 years since they had any type of relevance imo. Ueda is working on a game with Epic, and hopefully that will match his previous efforts.

Rest of the studio just fizzled out but that’s the nature of life, some live, some die. Even if you feel they weren’t supposed to.

I’m a big fan of some of these games and creators but tbh I understand why some publishers eventually move on, this isn’t all roses when money is involved.

• sad
Reactions: Muddasar

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
If you’re asking if the trade off was worth those people’s jobs then of course not.

Both scenarios are different. M&L is a support title that, while beloved by many, doesn’t really move the needle for Nintendo. The series is coming off hiatus so it feels a little different this time, but generally it’s looked at as a good padder for the software lineup. There’s a reason it’s coming out at the end of the Switch lifecycle. Also its a Mario game so ultimately Nintendo should opt to make that in house or just farm it out to a studio that doesn’t exist just to make this one series.

Astro Bot seems like it was not expected to get a sequel, could be wrong. I’m less familiar with the genesis of that game. I just know it was free on PS5 so I almost consider it a free demo.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Unless I get a new Ape Escape of the same quality as the prior entries, and unless I get a remaster of Freedom Wars with online support, no, Sony was not in the right.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I was originally going to make this thread about which studio clouser was sadder but then the new mario and luigi game got announced and i came up with this thread instead. I can see how ever had I made my original thread japan studios would be winning easily. But that is because none of you have nostalgia for this

Last edited:
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Unless I get a new Ape Escape of the same quality as the prior entries, and unless I get a remaster of Freedom Wars with online support, no, Sony was not in the right.
Sales wise tho, if astro does like 10 million that would be insane and out sell every mario and luigi game except maybe the new one coming out two months after it. That would be pretty insane but lets see how good Astro does

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
when you lose ueda and toyama you wont see asobi and xdev making games like ico, sotc, tlg and gravity rush anymore, bc lead directors like these two made the entire difference on their games
I think that Ueda still didn't release any game because most of the talent behind his games wasn't him, but mostly his team which in a big part continues in Sony's Japanese team.

And for the same reason, I think Slitterhead won't be nearly as good as the Gravity Rush games were.

I also think that meanwhile, Astro Bot will have many people who worked on these games, will get critically acclaimed and will outsell the three Udea games combined, or the two Gravity Rush combined.

I think Stellar Blade or Ronin, also with a few people who worked on Ueda or Gravity Rush series, may achieve these sales too.

I was originally going to make this thread about which studio clouser was sadder but then the new mario and luigi game got announced and i came up with this thread instead. I can see how ever had I made my original thread japan studios would be winning easily. But that is because none of you have nostalgia for this
Sony didn't close Japan Studio. They restructured it, branched out its XDEV Japan team and rebranded it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
i think most people mostly refer to the directors like ueda and toyama when they talk about how they miss the ico and gravity teams
No, haters lie on purpose saying that Sony did close Japan Studio when they know it's completely wrong and that they continue doing both internally developed and 2nd party games.

Ico

8 May 2024
I think that Ueda still didn't release any game because most of the talent behind his games wasn't him, but mostly his team which in a big part continues in Sony's Japanese team.

And for the same reason, I think Slitterhead won't be nearly as good as the Gravity Rush games were.

I also think that meanwhile, Astro Bot will have many people who worked on these games, will get critically acclaimed and will outsell the three Udea games combined, or the two Gravity Rush combined.

while i do agree with astro bot probably being critically acclaimed and selling well, its hard to say anything about ueda's and toyama's future games without seeing more of it or even playing it

but this also does not negate the fact that the we wont be getting as many diverse experiences as we had like team ico and gravity did with the previous japan studios, as team asobi could also be called team astro since they probably wont do anything different from it

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
If you’re asking if the trade off was worth those people’s jobs then of course not.

Both scenarios are different. M&L is a support title that, while beloved by many, doesn’t really move the needle for Nintendo. The series is coming off hiatus so it feels a little different this time, but generally it’s looked at as a good padder for the software lineup. There’s a reason it’s coming out at the end of the Switch lifecycle. Also its a Mario game so ultimately Nintendo should opt to make that in house or just farm it out to a studio that doesn’t exist just to make this one series.

Astro Bot seems like it was not expected to get a sequel, could be wrong. I’m less familiar with the genesis of that game. I just know it was free on PS5 so I almost consider it a free demo.
Astro has been part of PlayStation since 2012. One of the best selling PSVR2 games and then Playroom and then quickly after they announced they would be making their biggest game ever.

Jim Ryan said his granddaughter was a huge Astro Bot fan, so go figure.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
TIL Sony didn't close Japan Studio, just whittled it down and restructured it
Genuinely thanks for explaining this so I would look it up yall. I had no idea, it fills me with hope even if it's not the same as it was

Reactions: Yurinka

Ico

8 May 2024
TIL Sony didn't close Japan Studio, just whittled it down and restructured it
Genuinely thanks for explaining this so I would look it up yall. I had no idea, it fills me with hope even if it's not the same as it was

this, but also dont get hopes of having all of their IP back or even new ones, since team asobi is mostly just team astro but with the workforce of the older teams now

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Japan Studios closed in name. It lives on in Asobi, the co-development side in xDev Japan. For me personally half the soul of it went away when Team Ico left, that gave it it's prestige. Other noteworthy titles relied on Level 5 (Jeann d'Arc, Rogue Galaxy), Fromsoft (Bloodborne), Mediavision (Wild Arms), Clap Hanz (Everybody's Golf).

Was super eclectic on the Mario & Luigi game! Came out of left field, I gave up on seeing that franchise come back since the studio closed, the last one was the worst selling Mario title in Japan. Was also a dumb decision of that studio (in hindsight) in their last ditch effort to save AlphaDreams by remaking Superstar Saga & later Bowser Inside on the 3DS instead for Switch in it's launch year..
Also curious who's doing it.

Reactions: TrishaCat

samoth

6 Jun 2024
Bro, almost all the important people at Japan Studios are in team Asobi, it is not the same as the case of Nintendo that barely releases games produced "in house"
Nintendo is just a big publis with a few studios making games.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
That Ueda guy releases one game in a decade ofc the higher up will be pissed off. Epic will get a taste of critical acclaim and commercial flop, as great as SOTC is I bet not even half of the people on this forum played it let alone bought it. Ueda maybe a visionary creator but I sure as shit won't put any money on his games if I want to see returns. Epic maybe can try to leverage the game for their failing pc store but then also it will be a sales flop most probably.