Were both Nintendo and Sony right in doing this.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
If Sony couldn't salvage the rest of Japan Studios they should've be willing to invest a lot more in Japan to make up for that loss. They had ample opportunity for it and the audience was there but they keep taking all their audience for granted, they think PlayStation can just be blue Xbox and that they'll be fine.

Japan Studios had made many of Sony most iconic games and now they are gone and were not replaced by anything else.
Facts.

A good start would be buying Arc System & Level 5 both studio that make good games in there genres both aswell has experience releasing games on PS w a history of cadence. These japanese studios are likely very cheap to buy & maintain due to the weak yen a game like Astro Bot probably has a budget of 25 million & depending how it reviews it can sell 3-5 million easily imo

Another Japanese studio to look after are the studio behind the Patopon & Wild Arms successor.

Ratatan looks amazing & with a budget of 2 million dollars I can see this games selling easily 1 million not sure what its price will be but it should be successful. I’ll be picking this game up.

There’s less info on the Wild Arm successor but it’s looking like a western cowboy theme genshin. From the gameplay they’ve shown it looks great there’s definitely talent.

If Sony was smart they would buy the Dragon Quest ip now that the creator died & the other owners are old asf they’ll likely cash in for there future children + DQ has yet to be expanded into modern anime/live action tv shows, movies. This will make it where Sony wouldn’t have to acquire Square Enix & instead make a lesser investment

Honestly PS needs more universal gameplay focus game. Also the design of these characters from the wild arms & potopon successors would make great universes to expand w anime & potential parks if Sony ever expands to parks like Nintendo. Aswell as merchandise & toys

Given PS hasn’t double down on ratchet & clank & the next R&C game won’t be out till 2030 it’s unlikely PS expands there first party to include more Japanese/Asia base studios. At the very least PS can license out there more universal family friendly ip like R&C, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Wild Arms, Ape Escape to 3rd party to see more game from these universes expanding the story & characters something Nintendo has done well with there IP.

Last year (2023) Nintendo release 2-3 mario games including Mario wonders & Mario RPG now in (2024) they have Mario & Luigi brothership & another spin off/dlc

Last edited:
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I kind of agree with this. Shuting down Japan studio was a mistake, regardless if most of the staff is in Asobi. Asobi is not Japan studios.
It is just crazy PS a Japanese company & brand would shelve there 1 if not only Japanese base studio that make games outside Poly & GT.

Mind you this was either Herman or Jim decision.

Japan Studio worked w Fromsoft to make Bloodborne but Herman making a PS studio (Guerilla Games) work on a multiplat game that isn’t even releasing on the platform the franchise was born & where more then 50% of PS players still reside but instead on 2 other direct competitor platform 1 of them being weaker then PS4. Shame. Embarrassing

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I just wonder where the next ICO, Shadow of the Colossus or Demon's Souls will be coming from. Doesn't seem like they'll be coming from Sony.
Instead of PS investing on Bluepoint after the god tier Demon Souls remake creating & building 2 new teams to work on a Bloodborne remake & inFAMOUS 1 remake they have them work a AAA fantasy game atleast if we take the concept art leaked from the insomniac leak that will take 5-7 years will likely see Bluepoint game in 2025 the earliest if not 2026-2027 in the mean time we could’ve had both inFAMOUS 1&2 remake, Legend of Dragoon remake, Bloodborne remake writhing those 5-6 years since Bluepoint would take 2-3 years for the past remakes. Actually sad PS is double downing on AAA especially new ip while there old ip that has potential to sell 10-20 million fades away from PS history

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Instead of PS investing on Bluepoint after the god tier Demon Souls remake creating & building 2 new teams to work on a Bloodborne remake & inFAMOUS 1 remake they have them work a AAA fantasy game atleast if we take the concept art leaked from the insomniac leak that will take 5-7 years will likely see Bluepoint game in 2025 the earliest if not 2026-2027 in the mean time we could’ve had both inFAMOUS 1&2 remake, Legend of Dragoon remake, Bloodborne remake writhing those 5-6 years since Bluepoint would take 2-3 years for the past remakes. Actually sad PS is double downing on AAA especially new ip while there old ip that has potential to sell 10-20 million fades away from PS history
I disagree with everything, I would rather get remasters of these games instead of remakes and the more new AAA games we get the better.

Facts.

A good start would be buying Arc System & Level 5 both studio that make good games in there genres both aswell has experience releasing games on PS w a history of cadence. These japanese studios are likely very cheap to buy & maintain due to the weak yen a game like Astro Bot probably has a budget of 25 million & depending how it reviews it can sell 3-5 million easily imo

Another Japanese studio to look after are the studio behind the Patopon & Wild Arms successor.

Ratatan looks amazing & with a budget of 2 million dollars I can see this games selling easily 1 million not sure what its price will be but it should be successful. I’ll be picking this game up.

There’s less info on the Wild Arm successor but it’s looking like a western cowboy theme genshin. From the gameplay they’ve shown it looks great there’s definitely talent.

If Sony was smart they would buy the Dragon Quest ip now that the creator died & the other owners are old asf they’ll likely cash in for there future children + DQ has yet to be expanded into modern anime/live action tv shows, movies. This will make it where Sony wouldn’t have to acquire Square Enix & instead make a lesser investment

Honestly PS needs more universal gameplay focus game. Also the design of these characters from the wild arms & potopon successors would make great universes to expand w anime & potential parks if Sony ever expands to parks like Nintendo. Aswell as merchandise & toys

Given PS hasn’t double down on ratchet & clank & the next R&C game won’t be out till 2030 it’s unlikely PS expands there first party to include more Japanese/Asia base studios. At the very least PS can license out there more universal family friendly ip like R&C, Sly, Jak & Daxter, Wild Arms, Ape Escape to 3rd party to see more game from these universes expanding the story & characters something Nintendo has done well with there IP.

Last year (2023) Nintendo release 2-3 mario games including Mario wonders & Mario RPG now in (2024) they have Mario & Luigi brothership & another spin off/dlc
SE is cheap as hell, If Sony hasn't bothered yet they never will. It would not surprise me if Nintendo were acquire to acquire them.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I disagree with everything, I would rather get remasters of these games instead of remakes and the more new AAA games we get the better.

SE is cheap as hell, If Sony hasn't bothered yet they never will. It would not surprise me if Nintendo were acquire to acquire them.
Specifically talking about Bluepoint I’d still want a few more remakes/remaster of games trapped in PS3 even going back PS2 which had a ton of amazing games. If I wanted more AAA I would want to see that from other studios then Bluepoint like Naughty Dog making a new Uncharted Sucker Punch working on a new ifFAMOUS or Guerilla Games working on a new Killzone all AAA games. Which I doubt because Sony hasn’t invested in those studios to be a multi team studio larger enough to pump more games.

SE is cheap, I don’t think Square Enix makes sense for an acquisition. Atleast Sony could make smarter investment where they wouldn’t need to fully acquire SE partly due to SE not owning 2 of its major franchise they work on those being Kingdom hearts & DQ really Sony just needs to buy DQ & make a smaller investment then a full acquisition because I don’t see outside Disney buying Square Enix who doesn’t own 2 massive franchise they work on.

I do find Hitoki comments about consolidation & wanted to acquire ip funny because now looking at it, it seems those comments where about Paramount & the entertainment industry not gaming. Paramount is a horrible buy. Sony stock would fall just cause that would be a bad buy. People say Paramount has ip but really when you look at it they don’t. Paramount biggest shows are all owned by other people Transformer=Hasbro & Sonic=Sega I think even GIJOE isn’t owned by Paramount which could have potential w live action, anime & games. WB is really the entertainment publisher Sony should be looking to buy having DC & partial Marve/Spiderman universe rights would make Sony a power house in movies, anime & games ofc if they fix & treat DC like into the spiderverse & spiderman live action films

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It is just crazy PS a Japanese company & brand would shelve there 1 if not only Japanese base studio that make games outside Poly & GT.
Yes, it's crazy because didn't happen.

Sony didn't close Japan Studio: they rebranded it and gave their own office to its part dedicated to support 2nd party games.

They now have 3 Japanese studios instead of 2.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Specifically talking about Bluepoint I’d still want a few more remakes/remaster of games trapped in PS3 even going back PS2 which had a ton of amazing games. If I wanted more AAA I would want to see that from other studios then Bluepoint like Naughty Dog making a new Uncharted Sucker Punch working on a new ifFAMOUS or Guerilla Games working on a new Killzone all AAA games. Which I doubt because Sony hasn’t invested in those studios to be a multi team studio larger enough to pump more games.
Sony invested to grow these and the rest of studios and now studios like ND or Guerrilla are confirmed to be multi team studios.

ND grew during the Jimbo era from working only in TLOU2 to work at the same time TLOU Online + two new SP games + (outsourced) remasters and remakes + movie/tv adaptations + (outsourced) theme park adaptations.

Guerrilla grew to work in some point at the same time on Horizon CoM (partly outsourced) + mainline Horizon + Horizon Online + Lego Horizon (partly outsourced) + apparently Horizon MMORPG for mobile games being developed at NCSoft (at least partly oursourced).

Bluepoint still didn't grow enough to have multiple projects at the same time, they don't even have enough people to run their own new AAA game. They continue as support team.

In the last 4 years Sucker punch grew from 160 to around 230, we don't have confirmation but they may have two teams now.

SE is cheap, I don’t think Square Enix makes sense for an acquisition. Atleast Sony could make smarter investment where they wouldn’t need to fully acquire SE partly due to SE not owning 2 of its major franchise they work on those being Kingdom hearts & DQ really Sony just needs to buy DQ & make a smaller investment then a full acquisition because I don’t see outside Disney buying Square Enix who doesn’t own 2 massive franchise they work on.
Some time ago SE said they plan to turn some of their studios into subsidiary companies to allow some investors to invest specifically in only some of them.

Maybe the idea is to sell a minority of some studios to people like Sony, who may not be interested on acquiring the whole SE.

I do find Hitoki comments about consolidation & wanted to acquire ip funny because now looking at it, it seems those comments where about Paramount & the entertainment industry not gaming. Paramount is a horrible buy. Sony stock would fall just cause that would be a bad buy. People say Paramount has ip but really when you look at it they don’t. Paramount biggest shows are all owned by other people Transformer=Hasbro & Sonic=Sega I think even GIJOE isn’t owned by Paramount which could have potential w live action, anime & games. WB is really the entertainment publisher Sony should be looking to buy having DC & partial Marve/Spiderman universe rights would make Sony a power house in movies, anime & games ofc if they fix & treat DC like into the spiderverse & spiderman live action films
Paramount Group generates $30B in revenue and $10B in profit before operational costs. They have a ton of IPs, plus other like the ones you mention that even if they don't own such IPs they have the exclusive to make movie adaptations.

Getting rid of its unprofitable business, optimizing many of its costs of stuff already done at other Sony subsidiaries they can make it way more profitable. The merge of Paramount and Sony Pictures would be the market leader of Hollywood studios, when now are as I remember are 4th and 5th.

Sony can also rework their debt, and have a partner who'd acquire the part of it that Sony can't own due to not being from USA (a portion of their tv business), making it cheaper. And it's already too cheap for what it is.

Warner is way more expensive, probably would cost almost twice as much as Paramount Group, so Sony couldn't afford to buy it specially because doesn't have a partner to split costs.

In any case, I think Sony won't acquire Paramount.

Regarding acquisitions, Totoki said last year than in the short term were going to have a low profile being more cautious about pricing and timing, even if they'll continue acquiring to grow in the mid to long term.

Looking at the budget they created for the 3 years period started this April, pretty likely they'll spend under $5B of it in gaming acquisitions + investments, most of which pretty likely wouldn't be spent the current FY because he said plans to decrease SIE's acquisition related costs (they are still paying stuff related to acquisitions made in previous years) this fiscal year comprared to the previous one.

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Closing down Japan Studio was definitely a big mistake. But this was Jim Ryan's decision. If Hermen and Nishino have become much earlier CEO, this wouldn't have happened. But it is, what is sadly.
Lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
After Demon's Souls Bluepoint wanted to move away from remasters and remakes, to work on original content.

The first original content where they have worked was God of War Ragnarok, and after it must be working in another new game leaded by someone else.

They don't have enough people and miss certain gamedev roles needed to lead their own AAA game. They never worked on their own game after Demon's Souls. In that Insomniac document with overviews of other studios for Guerrilla had a photo of their new office that they had published back then on their website.

Guerrilla, unlike Bluepoint mentioned in the document codename of their main upcoming project and outsourcing budgets, while they didn't for Bluepoint because since they are a support team (something also mentioned recently Sony public slide) they don't have outsourcing budget, and as their current project only mentioned "original content" instead of the codename of any project.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Neversummer

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Team Asobi and XDEV exist and continue making games like Death Stranding series, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin
That's not the flex you think It is lol
People loved Japan Studios becouse they made some different, not the same boring Sony cinematic over the shoulder emotional experiences.
People loved JS for games like Puppeteer, ICO, Siren, Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, Rain, Ape Escape.

Rise of the ronin and stellar blade both plays like another generic Sony game with an open world/ semi open world and the same types of objectives and quests. We have already seen this, we already played this. Death stranding was at least a bit fresh, but the game just is not that good.
Astrobot is the last good thing left of this whole mess, and that's a platformer. Who knows If team asobi will survive post Astro Bot release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
That's not the flex you think It is lol
People loved Japan Studios becouse they made some different, not the same boring Sony cinematic over the shoulder emotional experiences.
People loved JS for games like Puppeteer, ICO, Siren, Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, Rain, Ape Escape.
They did stop making these games because only 4 of us cared about them nobody bought them and after three decades without having a game with great sales decided to move to games with a more global appeal.

Rise of the ronin and stellar blade both plays like another generic Sony game with an open world/ semi open world and the same types of objectives and quests. We have already seen this, we already played this. Death stranding was at least a bit fresh, but the game just is not that good.
That's bullshit, they got good reviews and sales. And Death Stranding was the 2019 game that got the biggest amount of GOTY awards.

Astrobot is the last good thing left of this whole mess, and that's a platformer. Who knows If team asobi will survive post Astro Bot release.
They obviously will survive, people loved Astro's Playroom and the trailer and demo they shown at the Summer Doritos Fest of the next Astro Bot game, looking at the great opinions and metrics that stuff like Puppeteer, ICO, Siren, Gravity Rush, Tokyo Jungle, Rain, Ape Escape didn't have at their time.

Astro Bot will sell well even if being a "generic" "over the shoulder emotional experience" because apparently is a game that enough people like so will buy.

The studio was restructured getting rid of less productive people and old management, and now the 2nd party stuff counts as a separate studio. So their costs are smaller now, won't need big sales to be profitable.

Regarding genres, as I remember in a recent interview their boss said they won't be limited to platformers.