What are the great games I missed by not having an Xbox in the last 10 years?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I decided to make an effort to understand Xbox fans, so help me out. I see some really passionate Xbox fans on the internet and I assume all that passion has to come from great games, right?

So let's assume I don't play on PC and just own a PlayStation and Switch. In the last decade (so starting from 2013) what are the great games that I didn't play because I was not in the Xbox ecosystem? What is the top tier stuff you would recommend me play if I get a Series S. Great games, not ok games, not passable games, I'm talking bangers, GoTY level type stuff.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I decided to make an effort to understand Xbox fans, so help me out. I see so really passionate Xbox fans on the internet and I assume all that passion has to come from great games, right?

So let's assume I don't play on PC and just own a PlayStation and Switch. In the last decade (so starting from 2013) what are the great games that I didn't play because I was not in the Xbox ecosystem? What is the top tier stuff you would recommend me play if I get a Series S. Great games, not ok games, not passable games, I'm talking bangers, GoTY level type stuff.
FH3 maybe best game they produced.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
The gears of war trilogy slapped honestly. My personal favorite xbox series before they ruined it as they tend to do
Gears of War 3 release in 2011. I'm talking about the last 10 years, so pretty much Xbox One + Xbox Series. I works well because I assume just like me a lot of people had the 360 but didn't have the Xbox One or the Xbox Series.

The original TLoU on PS3 released less than 10 years ago, a game that already was remade. 10 years seems like plenty of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeoSamurai97

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
ori games, cuphead, grounded. Cuphead is on playstation now. P.s. sea of thieves is highly overrated. Basically all of Microsoft's best games are small to medium A/AA type fare. Didn't like anything AAA of theirs on the xbone.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
ori games, cuphead, grounded. Cuphead is on playstation now. P.s. sea of thieves is highly overrated. Basically all of Microsoft's best games are small to medium A/AA type fare. Didn't like anything AAA of theirs on the xbone.
That is not the way. Ori released on the Switch and Cuphead released on PlayStation/Switch.

Do you honestly consider Grounded a great / must play / GoTY level type game? That seem very surprising to me, I would have never guessed.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That is not the way. Ori released on the Switch and Cuphead released on PlayStation/Switch.

Do you honestly consider Grounded a great game or a must play game? That seem very surprising to me. I would have never guessed.
Uh, i said it was good. Good means 8/10 or better, maybe 7/10 if I enjoy the genre. I think Grounded is a fairly good attempt at a honey i shrunk the kids game. These are definitely not console sellers and not the type of game that I'd say are "must play" but they are games that anyone would be happy to have on their system. Like, let me give an example. Slay the spire is a really good game, I've spent hundreds of hours in it, and I'd recommend it to anyone. But if it was switch only, would I tell you to buy a switch to play it? Probably not. Same with a game like Hades. Is grounded as good as those games? No, but if you had an xbox you should probably play it.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Uh, i said it was good. Good means 8/10 or better, maybe 7/10 if I enjoy the genre. I think Grounded is a fairly good attempt at a honey i shrunk the kids game. These are definitely not console sellers and not the type of game that I'd say are "must play" but they are games that anyone would be happy to have on their system. Like, let me give an example. Slay the spire is a really good game, I've spent hundreds of hours in it, and I'd recommend it to anyone. But if it was switch only, would I tell you to buy a switch to play it? Probably not. Same with a game like Hades. Is grounded as good as those games? No, but if you had an xbox you should probably play it.
Did you read the opening post and what the proposal of the thread is?

I specifically mentioned I'm not interested in ok/good games. This is all about the great games.

For example, if someone asked me this about the PlayStation I would say TLoU Part I, TLoU Part II, God of War, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls Remake, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Death Stranding, Spider-man are all must play games.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There is none, unless you count stuff like Quantum Break or Dead Rising 3. It's all about hating on Sony, that's where the passion comes from.

Now that you mention it, Ori 2 is the best game they have but they fucked that relationship (as they always do) and the next game from that team won't be exclusive or publish by them.

kim kardashian GIF

• brain

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
People will laugh at me but I think Crackdown 3 looked like a fun GTA/Saint's Row clone. I don't know why that genre just went away but it certainly seems like it did. Otherwise there's Sea of Thieves, Flight Sim, Pentiment, State of Decay, Sunset Overdrive, Hi-Fi Rush and, uhh, Halo and Gears if you like that stuff.

But don't think we don't see what you're doing here. You know damn well that Microsoft purchased most of its studio structure in the last five years, allowed those studios to finish already in active development multiplat games and is only now actually getting games out of them.

Reactions: Systemshock2023
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There is none, unless you count stuff like Quantum Break or Dead Rising 3. It's all about hating on Sony, that's where the passion comes from.
It does seem that way from the outside, as I don't believe anyone actually thinks Quantum Break or Dead Rising 3 are must play games.

People will laugh at me but I think Crackdown 3 looked like a fun GTA/Saint's Row clone. I don't know why that genre just went away but it certainly seems like it did. Otherwise there's Sea of Thieves, Flight Sim, Pentiment, State of Decay, Sunset Overdrive, Hi-Fi Rush and, uhh, Halo and Gears if you like that stuff.

But don't think we don't see what you're doing here. You know damn well that Microsoft purchased most of its studio structure in the last five years, allowed those studios to finish already in active development multiplat games and is only now actually getting games out of them.
What am I doing here? Are you not proud of Xbox output in the last 10 years? How is that my fault? Isn't 10 years enough? How long do you suggest I should wait before asking for some must play games?

Whatever is it I'm doing I don't want to hide it from anyone, a list of the best games a platform has had in the last 10 years including stuff like Pentiment, State of Decay and Sea of Thieves speaks for itself, right?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Red2Radio

13 Mar 2023
Germany
Not exactly a Xbox fan, but I loved the 360 back in the day. I don't think any of these are outstanding, but I still had fun with them:
Ryse - Son of Rome, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2 (I could never get into the newer ones, because I hate how the progression works in these games), Killer Instinct, Crackdown 3, Battletoads and Gears 5 (4 is just boring).
Except for Forza Horizon 2, I would rate all these games a solid 6 or 7 out of 10, depending on the game. FH2 is probably one of my favorite racing games though.
I mainly keep my Series X for bc titles, which is honestly sad. Glad I got mine used for a decent price, otherwise I'd regret getting the console.

• thinking_hard

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
-Ori games for sure,
-Grim Dawn is on Xbox with all its expansions, it's my favorite game and I would rate it the best action RPG of all time, i want it desperately to come to PlayStation but it's not going to sadly.

Other than that, i don't think there is a lot, maybe there are some backward-compatible titles out there that are exclusive to it?

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
On this thread we find out that nobody reads the opening post. The rules are simple, released in the last 10 years, not on PlayStation/Nintendo, banger.

It should be really easy to come up with a list of games that covers that criteria right?

-Ori games for sure
Both Ori games released on the Switch.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
On this thread we find out that nobody reads the opening post. The rules are simple, released in the last 10 years, not on PlayStation/Nintendo, banger.

It should be really easy to come up with a list of games that covers that criteria right?

Both Ori games released on the Switch.
Well you set the topic up to fail then because you're asking people how many elements are part of the empty set.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Well you set the topic up to fail then because you're asking people how many elements are part of the empty set.
So 10 years is not enough for Xbox but if I did the same challenge with Nintendo or Sony just for the last 12 it would be easy to list multiple game for each from the top of my head. That says a lot.

Red2Radio

13 Mar 2023
Germany
I think if you really want to know what Xbox fans think are "bangers", this is the wrong place to ask 😅 For that, you might get better answers on twitter. I'd still recommend checking out the games mentioned in this topic.

• thinking_hard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
So 10 years is not enough for Xbox but if I did the same challenge with Nintendo or Sony just for the last 12 it would be easy to list multiple game for each from the top of my head. That says a lot.
If you gave a company like Microsoft 100 years they would be unable to put out a single banger, unless they bought it out, because that's just not their corporate ethos. They don't strive to excel (despite owning software taking its namesake).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Red2Radio
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I think if you really want to know what Xbox fans think are "bangers", this is the wrong place to ask 😅 For that, you might get better answers on twitter. I'd still recommend checking out the games mentioned in this topic.
I played most of the stuff listed here except for Pentiment and Hi-Fi rush. I can't say I'm impressed.

I did like Flight Simulator despite not being into that type of game, it was a fun few hours until it inevitably got boring.

If you gave a company like Microsoft 100 years they would be unable to put out a single banger, unless they bought it out, because that's just not their corporate ethos. They don't strive to excel (despite owning software taking its namesake).
That is sort of the impression I had and the reason why I came up with this exercise. To me that is just sad and I do not understand at all how someone could be a fan of that.