What are the great games I missed by not having an Xbox in the last 10 years?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Im just going to tell you the games I liked the most from Xbox on the last 10 years. Whether they are "bangers" to you I don't know

Forza horizon 3 to 5
Forza motorsport 7
Killer Instinct
Quantum break
Sunset Overdrive
Flight simulator 2020
Halo MCC
Gears 4 +Gears 5 + Hivebusters
Hi Fi rush
AOE4? Not sure if it's on Xbox yet

Grim dawn is not on playstation? How come? That's the greatest ARPG after diablo 2. Must have game with tons of replay value.

Left out the following games because they while very enjoyable they might not be for everyone like the last 2 or certainly not games with a high enough quality standard to be flagship games.

Recore
Crackdown 3 (maybe the most underrated Xbox exclusive from last gen, addictive game once you power up the character)
Grounded
Sea of Thieves

One thing though: All I am saying is as a PC only gamer last generation. That means that on top of those games I also had PC + PS4 games and PC + Switch games that avoided Xbox.

If I were an Xbox only gamer, the games on the first list while very good and with tons of replay value are not enough. Xbox should do better.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nhomnhom
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Im just going to tell you the games I liked the most from Xbox on the last 10 years. Whether they are "bangers" to you I don't know

Forza horizon 3 to 5
Forza motorsport 7
Killer Instinct
Quantum break
Sunset Overdrive
Flight simulator 2020
Halo MCC
Gears 4 +Gears 5 + Hivebusters
Hi Fi rush

Grim dawn is not on playstation? How come? That's the greatest ARPG after diablo 2. Must have game with tons of replay value.

Left out the following games because they while very enjoyable they might not be for everyone.

Recore
Crackdown 3 (maybe the most underrated Xbox exclusive from last gen)
Grounded
Sea of Thieves
A respectable attempt. I will not pass judgment on that list, it does seem to follow the established rules (the inclusion of remaster is a bit undesirable, but I'll allow it).

The games you left out definitely make the list more credible as their inclusion would make the entire list seem very suspect.

First time I ever heard about Grim dawn, but I guess that makes sense since I don't like Diablo.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
If you gave a company like Microsoft 100 years they would be unable to put out a single banger, unless they bought it out, because that's just not their corporate ethos. They don't strive to excel (despite owning software taking its namesake).
According to the idiots on this site, no Rare games count despite them owning the company for half of its life and for far longer than the "Nintendo-era". Whats even the point of the distinction then, especially when Sony operates the same way, acquiring studios that had been founded previously.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
According to the idiots on this site, no Rare games count despite them owning the company for half of its life and for far longer than the "Nintendo-era". Whats even the point of the distinction then, especially when Sony operates the same way, acquiring studios that had been founded previously.
They should get credit for the previous games Rare had released while working with Nintendo because they bought them and turned them into "that company that operates Sea of Thieves"? Get a hold of yourself man, the games they created under MS were extremely subpar.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sea of thieves sucks man

• they're_right_you_know

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Hydro thunder hurricane. Technically there is a PC version, but it's not on steam but the awful windows store.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
They should get credit for the previous games Rare had released while working with Nintendo because they bought them and turned them into "that company that operates Sea of Thieves"? Get a hold of yourself man, the games they created under MS were extremely subpar.

But that is all subjective. Folks in forums love to talk about banjo and conker and all those platformers Rare put while working with Nintendo. But the truth is that Sea of Thieves is bigger than all previous Rare games combined by a country mile. The game is not my cup of tea but got to give credit where credit is due.

It's just that older folk like us in forums are not the target audience for the game. MS is to blame for keeping Rare dormant during the 360 era but I'd argue they are a top tier studio now, the one MS has alongside Playground and Turn 10 (Coalition just on the tech side of things)

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
But that is all subjective. Folks in forums love to talk about banjo and conker and all those platformers Rare put while working with Nintendo. But the truth is that Sea of Thieves is bigger than all previous Rare games combined by a country mile. The game is not my cup of tea but got to give credit where credit is due.

It's just that older folk like us in forums are not the target audience for the game. MS is to blame for keeping Rare dormant during the 360 era but I'd argue they are a top tier studio now, the one MS has alongside Playground and Turn 10 (Coalition just on the tech side of things)
Sea of Thieves is definitely not bigger in terms of importance, Rare is a lot less relevant now than they were back in the day. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

As someone who has infact played Sea of Thieves sometimes I wonder if people that hype-up the game that much actually played it.

Hydro thunder hurricane. Technically there is a PC version, but it's not on steam but the awful windows store.
That's a game from 13 years ago.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sea of Thieves is definitely not bigger in terms of importance, Rare is a lot less relevant now than they were back in the day. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise.

As someone who has infact played Sea of Thieves sometimes I wonder if people that hype-up the game that much actually played it.
I've played it. The people that speak highly about it probably spent an hour in it and then went off to twitter to crow about it. The problem is... the game gets old fast. 5+ years out from launch and there's still a huge content deficit. Fight the same enemies over and over. Do the same missions. Earn some coin for cosmetics that don't even upgrade your ship. FFS. Also a bunch of sweaty tryhards in PvP mode.

OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I've played it. The people that speak highly about it probably spent an hour in it and then went off to twitter to crow about it. The problem is... the game gets old fast. 5+ years out from launch and there's still a huge content deficit. Fight the same enemies over and over. Do the same missions. Earn some coin for cosmetics that don't even upgrade your ship. FFS. Also a bunch of sweaty tryhards in PvP mode.
I played it, looked like some F2P game with good looking water, got bored never touched it again. I get the appeal in theory but not in practice.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I played it, looked like some F2P game with good looking water, got bored never touched it again. I get the appeal in theory but not in practice.
I wouldn't even mind the cartoony graphics if there was anything to do in the game. They ran out of ideas after half an hour.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
No, they should get credit for the games that Rare released after. Conker:LR, Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, Kinnect shit (not for me but Sports, at least, seemed competent) and Sea of Thieves. The person I was talking to doesn't think they should be credited with anything because they were acquired in 2003.

• Informative
OP
OP
Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wouldn't even mind the cartoony graphics if there was anything to do in the game. They ran out of ideas after half an hour.
It's also all they have done since the Kinect days, so pretty much 10 years.

No, they should get credit for the games that Rare released after. Conker:LR, Viva Pinata, Nuts and Bolts, Kinnect shit (not for me but Sports, at least, seemed competent) and Sea of Thieves. The person I was talking to doesn't think they should be credited with anything because they were acquired in 2003.
Then I agree with you on that front. Not that it's good credit IMO, but counts as theirs.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
That game is is a top seller on Steam all the time and it's not at a bargain bin price. Online forums skew towards an older demographic and can't see the appeal of these kind of games.

Sea of thieves millennial/gen x edition would be a 10 hour third person campaign based game. Would I enjoy that game more than the current sea of thieves? For sure.

But the types of games I like are not for everyone. Younger generations demand other type of games whether we like it or not. Sony wants a piece of that pie as well, not a fan of that.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It's also all they have done since the Kinect days, so pretty much 10 years.

Then I agree with you on that front. Not that it's good credit IMO, but counts as theirs.
Lol, I was only listing the "good" ones. There's also GbtG, PD0, Kameo, Viva Pinata: Party Animals, their other Kinnect titles, some Gameboy stuff, ports and remasters of older games (PD, GE, etc.) and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The studios might have been founded previously but they worked exclusively with Sony for their best and most well-known games and Sony owned all the IPs anyway.

Rare output under MS is 100% forgettable, people only remember them because of the Nintendo stuff.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Lol, I was only listing the "good" ones. There's also GbtG, PD0, Kameo, Viva Pinata: Party Animals, their other Kinnect titles, some Gameboy stuff, ports and remasters of older games (PD, GE, etc.) and maybe some other stuff I'm forgetting.
Always thought Kameo was a good one?

Well he Is asking on a "skewed" (regarding the age) forum. I doubt anyone here would list Minecraft, Dreams or Roblox as system sellers.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
ori games, cuphead, grounded. Cuphead is on playstation now. P.s. sea of thieves is highly overrated. Basically all of Microsoft's best games are small to medium A/AA type fare. Didn't like anything AAA of theirs on the xbone.

My son demanded that I buy Cuphead on Switch and then on PlayStation too.... he has one trophy left for platinum. He loves it...

• thisistheway

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Always thought Kameo was a good one?
Never played it. I probably would have put it in my first list if I had remembered it originally, but I can't lie and say that it had positive critical reception. I think it got 7s at the time, same as stuff like the Activision Crash games of that era.