What is the first video game boss you ever faced and went like "holy shit I made it" while sweating?

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I remember it like it was yesterday. For me it was Bowser for Super Mario on the NES. Remember the suspense the fireballs created as you got closer to Bowser in the level. As a kid the fright was real, fearing a miscalculation ending in death....everything back then looked, felt big. The satisfaction of beating the boss was immensely greater back then than it's today. I believe I was 6 at the time. It looks so simple today.

What's yours?

Last edited:

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Bloodborne Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne. I was trembling, sweating, crying and tearing my hair out but I did it and I finished the whole game + DLC by myself 💪

I'm a cheater. I used to buy memory cards and gameshark discs to get Infinite health and levels in PS2 and Gamecube games but then with online consoles it was impossible or too complicated.

I gave up on many games in the PS3 and PS4 era but I heard Bloodborne was special so I had to try it. That sense of accomplishment was crazy.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I gave up on many NES games and SNES games in my young days too. Some of them were hard as fuck - some I just couldn't figure out - garbage design. I'm actually surprised at how well I did at Contra II and III back in the day considering I got my ass whooped badly when I revisited them a few years back. Young kids got great response times, even if not a fully developed, critical thinking brain.

Bloody Malth, Ninja Gaiden NES.
Damn lol.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Fucking Returnal!!! Making it to the bosses and then having to fight like three phases always had me sweating, in edge.
The problem with Returnal is just getting through that first boss. That was the main roadblock for me, on top of figuring out the game's structure and gameplay. Sort of like Souls games tbh, although Soul games do have cheap bosses usually in the middle of the story and end-boss to fuck with you once more.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The problem with Returnal is just getting through that first boss. That was the main roadblock for me, on top of figuring out the game's structure and gameplay. Sort of like Souls games tbh, although Soul games do have cheap bosses usually in the middle of the story and end-boss to fuck with you once more.

For me its the 3rd boss. Hate that boss

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The last boss in Kung Fu on the Nes lol

I remember this game. Funny as hell animation wise. Did not beat it and I have never gone back but casually tried it. These games require such precession despite looking so simple. Never has pressing A or B being so difficult - the punishes are harsh.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Damn lol.
The "funny" thing is I was just a little kid and for some reason I thought he was the last boss at the time. When the game kept going after that I was so burned out I think I turned it off. And as we know you have to start over from the beginning with that game every time ....

Don't think I gave it another serious shot after that. Game is hard.

Reactions: KnittedKnight
OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Funny enough I beat him on like my 2nd/third try but I've seen ppl rage over that boss.
Beat it on first or second try I think. I got the gist of it quickly although I wasn't expecting the third phase. It was a really cool - wow - hands clap moment.

This game continues to be the freshest best, new IP of this generation bar none. A masterpiece. It's sad we've not gotten other new IP's that hit just like it. This is the sequel/GAAS/Remaster/Remake generation. We're 3 yrs in already.

Last edited:
  • Shake

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Beat it on first or second try I think. I got the gist of it quickly although I wasn't expecting the third phase. It was a really cool - wow - hands clap moment.

This game continues to be the freshest best, new IP of this generation bar none. A masterpiece. It's sad we've not gotten other new IP's that hit just like it.
This was a pleasant surprise indeed and a breath of fresh air. I wish more ppl actually experienced it.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Funny enough I beat him on like my 2nd/third try but I've seen ppl rage over that boss.
i 2nd tried that boss but i almost died multiple times bc i was too mesmerized by the attack patterns lol, up to that point probably one of the most visually spectacular boss fights ever.

• Shake
OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
i 2nd tried that boss but i almost died multiple times bc i was too mesmerized by the attack patterns lol, up to that point probably one of the most visually spectacular boss fights ever.
That game is a just a triumph for Housemarque. I can't say enough good things about it. It's literally the achievement all devs seek to have at least once in their history where you could then go into the sunset and say, we (I) shipped that. I put out a masterpiece up there with the best.