What is the first video game boss you ever faced and went like "holy shit I made it" while sweating?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

I remember this game. Funny as hell animation wise. Did not beat it and I have never gone back but casually tried it. These games require such precession despite looking so simple. Never has pressing A or B being so difficult - the punishes are harsh.
Nostalgia for real! Shit made me smile when I heard the music.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Honestly, not a boss but probably beating some of the tougher levels in SMW. Fucking Cheese Bridge, no small task for a 7-8 year old. Then, hmmm, bosses... Culex in SMRPG (for those who don't know, he was the secret, comparatively hard, "Final Fantasy-styled" extra boss in that game.) There was that "Wrong Side of the Tracks" mission in GTA SA, far harder than the "boss" battles in that game. Yeah, I dunno, I don't really gravitate to games with hard "Souls-like" boss fights.

Oh, you know what, the Wiz Pig car race in Diddy Kong Racing, or the second race against the octopus where he dropped bubbles instead of bombs and touching even one of them meant you had to restart.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Honestly, not a boss but probably beating some of the tougher levels in SMW. Fucking Cheese Bridge, no small task for a 7-8 year old. Then, hmmm, bosses... Culex in SMRPG (for those who don't know, he was the secret, comparatively hard, "Final Fantasy-styled" extra boss in that game.) There was that "Wrong Side of the Tracks" mission in GTA SA, far harder than the "boss" battles in that game. Yeah, I dunno, I don't really gravitate to games with hard "Souls-like" boss fights.

Oh, you know what, the Wiz Pig car race in Diddy Kong Racing, or the second race against the octopus where he dropped bubbles instead of bombs and touching even one of them meant you had to restart.
Great choices. 😁

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Out of my original Nes games I had at first as a kid, Kung Fu was easier along with Mario.
Batman and TMNT was pure evil lol
Nah batman was kinda easy, ninja gaiden and battletoads tho.. fuck me i sucked at them.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
After the 3rd boss, I struggled in Batman. Nes had some hard games lol
I remember the hardest part of that game was the platforming. Goddamn wall jumps, and then the slightest thing would knock you off and you'd fall all the way down again. But I remember specifically i made it through that game bc the enemies respawned and you could kind of keep them respawning, so if you kept killing them over and over you could get the health drops and recover

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I remember the hardest part of that game was the platforming. Goddamn wall jumps, and then the slightest thing would knock you off and you'd fall all the way down again. But I remember specifically i made it through that game bc the enemies respawned and you could kind of keep them respawning, so if you kept killing them over and over you could get the health drops and recover
I think I might go revisit it with those tactics lol. I still have my copy and the same Nes. The spring for the cartridge slot is broke tho

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Ghouls and Ghosts was another vividly hard and annoying game. It was just a staple of alot of games back then (being difficult and no save points).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KnittedKnight

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I gave up on the first boss, not only is it hard to get to him due to maze like structure of levels but also the RNG you get from upgrades.
Nah don't give up. The game is amazing. Just stop treating it like other shooters and treat it like a bullet hell game. Avoid damage at all costs even if your aim is dogshit.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I gave up on the first boss, not only is it hard to get to him due to maze like structure of levels but also the RNG you get from upgrades.
Gotta double dip. Gets better once you figure it out. Game is too good if you can find it in your heart to give it a chance.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Demon's Souls on PS3 - the Tower Knight. I'd never played a game like that before and went in a straight line in the first world. After repeatedly getting stomped by the Tower Knight, I took a long break. After doing some research, I realized I could explore the other worlds and get stronger before facing him. When I finally beat him, I was shaking but so happy.

OP
OP
KnittedKnight

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Demon's Souls on PS3 - the Tower Knight. I'd never played a game like that before and went in a straight line in the first world. After repeatedly getting stomped by the Tower Knight, I took a long break. After doing some research, I realized I could explore the other worlds and get stronger before facing him. When I finally beat him, I was shaking but so happy.
Great mention. Yes the first time you go in you're not sure what you should be supposed to be doing given the size of the thing and the punishes.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
That sense of accomplishment in Souls games is unparralled. Also the sense of reward.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
I wasn't really a fan of challenging games for the longest time. I still played some like DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden but they never felt that difficult to me and I didn't playing the hardest modes

Demons Souls was the first time I just had to confront that and it wasn't so much the boss but getting through 1-1 and the boss

In recent years the Valkyries in GOW, the 3 Berserkers in Ragnarok, Martyr Logius in Bloodborne (randomly one of the few I actually found frustratingly challenging) and Radagon in Elden Ring

• Shake