Which game has the superior combat.....ER/GOW(2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
mansoor1980

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
This can't be a real question LOL
giphy.gif

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
That's like an apple and oranges debates to me. Both are sexy in their own way.

That being said i feel like GOWR is gonna be super incredible gameplay wise, in interviews when Eric talk or other people talk about Eric, he seems the kind of guys that cares a lot about gameplay aspects.

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980
D

Deleted member 13

what say you ICONS?
You HAD to go there didn't you?
Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

ER for me. GoW has way too much button mashing in order to give damage to an enemy. I like approaching every enemy with forethought and caution like in ER for fear that I could die being sloppy. This does one main thing that's important to keep the attention of the gamer : boredom from redundant attacks/combat.

D

Deleted member 13

GoW not having extremely clunky fight like the Fire Giant automatically makes it better.
Why do you say ER is clunky? People that say that are usually ones that prefer button-mashing and forgiveness for being sloppy. If you continue to press attack in GoW, you'll keep the enemy in a locked "hit" state until they die. ER will punish you for thinking you can get by any enemy with simply mashing the attack button. How is that clunky?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Explosive Zombie

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
You HAD to go there didn't you?
Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

ER for me. GoW has way too much button mashing in order to give damage to an enemy. I like approaching every enemy with forethought and caution like in ER for fear that I could die being sloppy. This does one main thing that's important to keep the attention of the gamer : boredom from redundant attacks/combat.
Even tho it's still not at the level of a DMC game but GOW gameplay is very deep already, and the most deep GOW gameplay wise SSM ever made. GOWR is gonna go even beyond.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Why do you say ER is clunky? People that say that are usually ones that prefer button-mashing and forgiveness for being sloppy. If you continue to press attack in GoW, you'll keep the enemy in a locked "hit" state until they die. ER will punish you for thinking you can get by any enemy with simply mashing the attack button. How is that clunky?
I finished all souls games. So not sure what you’re getting at here. It’s clunky because it has massive input lag and it’s very slow and don’t get me started at the camera. BB is not clunky.

D

Deleted member 13

Even tho it's still not at the level of a DMC game but GOW gameplay is very deep already, and the most deep GOW gameplay wise SSM ever made. GOWR is gonna go even beyond.
Just remember, the deeper the combat system the more it moves away from button mashing. If the game gets a lot more complex, I can imagine people will complain due to it being too complex in order to cause damage to an enemy. NG has a better combat system than GoW because it punishes you for trying to button mash and you have to think about how you can damage your foe because it can block and/or parry or dodge.

Reactions: Katajx
D

Deleted member 13

I finished all souls games. So not sure what you’re getting at here. It’s clunky because it has massive input lag and it’s very slow and don’t get me started at the camera. BB is not clunky.
Massive input lag? So are you saying that the game's combat system has a bug? Input lag means something is wrong. Are you mixing it up with the various weights of the weapons? You can't expect the input of a rapier and a massive 2H sword to be the same.

D

Deleted member 13

enemies in GOW also punish you for repeating the same attacks , and they also block/roll/parry.
looks like quite a few folks did not bother finishing GOW
I just looked at a video you guys just posted and Kratos just swings and swings and the enemy is locked up in a "hit" state. And I do have it on PC but always got bored rather quickly with it. I'm not saying it's a bad game but just not the type of combat that would keep me engaged in the game.

• Informative

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
I beat GoW but didn't enjoy the combat as much as other third person action games

Put like 400 hours into ER, I like the depth of options and From's general design philosophy

• Informative

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Massive input lag? So are you saying that the game's combat system has a bug? Input lag means something is wrong. Are you mixing it up with the various weights of the weapons? You can't expect the input to be the same with a rapier and a massive 2H sword.
If you think it's a feature to have input lag... you do you. I for one think it makes the game clunky af.
The dodge roll lag on ER is well documented.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
mansoor1980

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
I just looked at a video you guys just posted and Kratos just swings and swings and the enemy is locked up in a "hit" state. And I do have it on PC but always got bored rather quickly with it. I'm not saying it's a bad game but just not the type of combat that would keep me engaged in the game.
well i have played and finished both , if you got bored with GOW then it is not your type of game

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
There are pro and cons in both sides.

God of War
+ Fast paced combat
+ Focus in close and range multi target combat
+ More combos and combat moves
+ No input lag
+ Hitbox are good
- Lacks weapon variation
- Lacks enemy variate (it is like 71 types of enemies only)

Elden Ring
+ Slow paced combat
+ Focus in close and range single target combat
+ More weapon variation
+ More enemy variation (I believe it is 130 or something like that)
- There is input lag... more evident in dodge
- Hitboxes are well hit or miss

Overall GoW has a more refined combat system... it gives you more options even having less weapons.
Elden Ring works most of time well but lack the timing and pace of games like Bloodborne and Sekiro... to be fair Sekiro players should really not find Elden Ring combat good I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.