Which game has the superior combat.....ER/GOW(2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
Let's be honest from software are great because of the climax you feel after beating a hard boss, that's the literally hook of it. Most of the time you walking around with shield up and waiting for an opening to spam square.

I don't use shields

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I don't use shields
Doesn't matter. The combat on sound games is dodge, wait for an opening slice twice move to another boss. Get the ass chick's clapped, level up try again. Again you could be a great player but that's literally how the majority plays

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
We're talking 3 years ago lol, let me check the times for my trophies...

Final Valkyrie was my last trophy, the two I uploaded weren't at the end tho
I ask why I'm trying to find why it is so different.
I beat the Valkyries whatever I found them in the progress of the story... so before I finish the game I have most dead including the ones in the others realms (to be fair I'm completenist so I try to find everything before move to a new area and when the game told me that maybe I should check my weapons and armors because maybe there is no back I tried to do everything before the battle that ended being the last boss).
Maybe I was too weak... so I have to try and try and try until beat them at early game.

The mechanics of the Valkyries in your video is a bit different too... maybe they changed? Take in mind that I only played on PS5... and there is a New Game+ that I never touched.

I don't have saved but some Valkyries I can tell you that I only beat on lucky :D
The one in Muspelheim for example.... she could kill me in 3-4 hits and countered doing that move that she come from the sky all the time (time move took 1/3 of my health bar... it was immune to parry or attacks too... so you have to dodge in the perfect timing... she span that attack at the end so you have to keep dodging at different timings until she stops for 1-2 seconds... I found really really hard to dodge that attack).

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
400 hours, impressive, Either you are really good at that game or you suck, which is it? 😍

lol I wouldn't say I suck but I'm also not bragging about my Souls prowess, I'm not above using summons in these games (though I never summon actual players)

I took my sweet ass time with the first playthrough it was like over 250 hours, I'd say maybe 30 hours idle time. I like to play souls games very slowly lol. Second run was much faster but still near 100 hours then I did a final NG+ run.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I spent 75 hours on ER and it went by quickly.

I couldn't finish GoW. I got bored with it.

However, I am considering giving it another shot with the sequel about to hit, and it apparently taking a greater focus on gameplay.

BTW, I don't understand this "input lag" commenting on ER. I never noticed a shred of it. There is "timing" absolutely, but that's part of the game. I can't think of a single "clunky" boss. What's great about ER (and other From games) is hitting an area that literally feels impossible the first one or two attempts, and then you realize ... wait a minute ... I think I see a pattern. And then you spend the time learning how to fight that particular boss until you can actually beat them. It's a great feeling, and it's very old school in it's approach.

GoW definitely has better production values, and which game has the "superior" combat is going to be personal preference I suppose, but I do think ER is deeper and certainly takes more skill to engage with. You have to be damn good to beat that game.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
lol I wouldn't say I suck but I'm also not bragging about my Souls prowess, I'm not above using summons in these games (though I never summon actual players)

I took my sweet ass time with the first playthrough it was like over 250 hours, I'd say maybe 30 hours idle time. I like to play souls games very slowly lol. Second run was much faster but still near 100 hours then I did a final NG+ run.
i hope you got platinum with that haha.

Don't you dare say no

Episode 5 Slap GIF by BLoafX

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I spent 75 hours on ER and it went by quickly.

I couldn't finish GoW. I got bored with it.

However, I am considering giving it another shot with the sequel about to hit, and it apparently taking a greater focus on gameplay.

BTW, I don't understand this "input lag" commenting on ER. I never noticed a shred of it. There is "timing" absolutely, but that's part of the game. I can't think of a single "clunky" boss. What's great about ER (and other From games) is hitting an area that literally feels impossible the first one or two attempts, and then you realize ... wait a minute ... I think I see a pattern. And then you spend the time learning how to fight that particular boss until you can actually beat them. It's a great feeling, and it's very old school in it's approach.

GoW definitely has better production values, and which game has the "superior" combat is going to be personal preference I suppose, but I do think ER is deeper and certainly takes more skill to engage with. You have to be damn good to beat that game.
JUST ADMIT IT, THE VALKYRIE QUEEN MURDERED YOUR ARSE.

Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
JUST ADMIT IT, THE VALKYRIE QUEEN MURDERED YOUR ARSE.

Ded Teletubbie GIF by MOODMAN
Is there one in GoW? Not sure I ever got that far lol.

I actually just loaded my game up the other night and I am in some cave with some writings on the wall and the kid is translating. I dont even remember what point of the game that is at. Im not gonna start from the beginning if I do it again.

• Informative
Reactions: mansoor1980

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

I actually just loaded my game up the other night and I am in some cave with some writings on the wall and the kid is translating. I dont even remember what point of the game that is at. Im not gonna start from the beginning if I do it again.
There are 2 Valkyrie Queens... the actual Queen and the old Queen... you kinda fight both.
Outside that there are 8 Valkyries to save.
Save means kill to Kratos.

I can't help you with the other question... cave, wall text, kid translating is too generic :D

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

I think there are 7 valkyries in total, the first three are easy, they kinda have a cascade effect where when you kill one, the next one picks up some of its set movies.

It took me about 20 tries to kill her at the end, she was a tough cookie, and the fight was super dupah fun, saying that if you don't have good timing on some of your evades usage of your spartan rage, she can 1 shot you.

@ethomaz said are 8, not played it in a while.

• Informative

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It is 8 normal and 1 queen I believe... well it is 10 if you count the old queen :D

BTW the accumulate moves and skills makes sense... I mean the last one before the queen was the hardest do me.
STOP CORRECTING ME DAMMIT, once was enough to make me look silly.

Now i look like a total idiot damn you 😍

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
GoW of course. Elden Ring is just stuck in the past, i played Demon's Souls Remake, and Elden Ring afterwards, i don't see any big jump in anything and it was like 15 years between releases.
it would be more solid comparison GoW vs NioH.

p.s. these games is 4 years apart by the way.

Last edited:

Explosive Zombie

21 Jun 2022
GoW of course. Elden Ring is just stuck in the past, i played Demon's Souls Remake, and Elden Ring afterwards, i don't see any big jump in anything and it was like 15 years between releases.
it would be more solid comparison GoW vs NioH.

Demon's Souls remake actually updates some things with movement and combat compared to the 2009 game.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
only negative i felt in sekiro is the over-reliance on PARRY
but generally yes it is very good

Yep. I loved it, I just felt it was the first time in gaming where the swords clashing really felt like swords actually clashing. The sword to sword combat is great. I’d love to have a Star Wars Jedi game with Sekiro’s sword to sword combat.

God of War overall was more balanced and deeper.

My favourite combat last gen:

Sekiro
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima

I still really think TLOU2 had great, intense combat but I mean pure sword/weapon combat and not shooting would go to the above 3

• Informative
OP
OP
mansoor1980

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
Yep. I loved it, I just felt it was the first time where the swords clashing really felt like like swords clashing. I’d love to have a Star Wars Jedi game with Sekiro’s sword to sword combat.

God of War overall was more balanced and deeper.

My favourite combat last gen:

Sekiro
God of War
Ghost of Tsushima

I still really think TLOU2 had great, intense combat but I mean pure sword/weapon combat and not shooting would go to the above 3
yeah the sword fights are visceral in sekiro and the strikes feel good , GOT is great too but more accessible and easier compared to the rest making it less frustrating overall

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko
Status
Not open for further replies.