Who in games media do you respect?

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
You don't cancel a game nearing the final year of its development based on rumors. Come on man, think.

Jason Schreier said that sentiment from within bungie itself around Marathon was not great 220 employees who worked on the game got made redundant in the summer. An internal playtest at the end of 2023 gave mostly negative feedback according to Schreier the game has received multiple delays and isn't a guarantee to make a release date in 2025.

OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
Jason Schreier said that sentiment from within bungie itself around Marathon was not great 220 employees who worked on the game got made redundant in the summer. An internal playtest at the end of 2023 gave mostly negative feedback according to Schreier the game has received multiple delays and isn't a guarantee to make a release date in 2025.
That's actually not true.

The person or people (two?) he talked to had reservations about it's current state. All Jason does is find the whiners at a studio and spread FUD. He spoke in unbelievably vague terms which gives him an easy out if Marathon becomes a huge success.

"I didn't lie! The game was in a bad state according to the people I talked to but that was earlier in development and games often come together at the end of a project."

Jason is a clickbaiter by nature.

You don't base the strategic direction of your company based on a Jason Shreier comment. Let's not fall into clown world.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
No. The director was replaced by Valorant’s Joe Ziegler almost a year and a half ago due to sexual harassment scandal. No one said anything about recent builds. Only impressions revealed were from a year ago from tarkov players invited to play test . The problem w/ Mararhon is the delays. It was supposed to be out already.

Marathon will not have heroes but character kits and loadouts. The players are androids.
Well, I didn't know Ziegler had taken over. That bodes well...

The thing is that Marathon has something really interesting about it... Something that the likes of Concord never had, for me at least.

The aesthetic alone is very appealing

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if bungie quietly ends up cancelling marathon both naughty dog and guerrilla killed projects not that long ago a lot of multiplayer projects haven't panned out for sony.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Well, I didn't know Ziegler had taken over. That bodes well...

The thing is that Marathon has something really interesting about it... Something that the likes of Concord never had, for me at least.

The aesthetic alone is very appealing

There was a sizable portion of the Valorant team that jumped ship over to Bungie to apparently work on Marathon w/ Ziegler. He took over shortly after or at the time of the reveal trailer.

The assumption that all fhe layoffs were from Marathon is also incorrect. Bungie cancelled two active projects in development and gave another to Sony and is only working on Marathon and Destiny 2 currently. They may also act as some kind producer role for the Blundell’s game from new studio at PlayStation gut from Bungie.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if bungie quietly ends up cancelling marathon both naughty dog and guerrilla killed projects not that long ago a lot of multiplayer projects haven't panned out for sony.
Naughty Dog killed a project early in development.

Guerilla is still making either one or two multiplayer games.

Marathon is nearing completion. Those games are not likely to be cancelled.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Back in the day Matt Casamassina was the man. I remember listening to Nintendo Voice Chat back in 2008 with him and Mark Bozon.
Looking about at him replying to fan mail 20 years ago is pretty fun:

EDMIX

No one lol

They can't be trusted. Even Colin, I mean I like the guy, but when your bias is this fucking strong, you can't be trusted anymore.

Over time I stopped care about anything stated in the game's "media" as they are rarely objective and seem to be scared as fuck to give a real open opinion about something.

Look at AC Unity. Fall 2014, you would swear T-Poses and missing faces was a massive thing, fast forward 6 months later and its completely ignored in the Witcher 3, people even tried to ignore a fucking huge issue with corrupt saves literally destroying your game

So it seems they pick and choose when they want to care about those things and it ultimately doesn't end up benefiting the gaming community very much when you end up with a Cyberpunk situation and everyone is trying to see how the fucking wind is going to blow regarding it before they say how the fucking feel about the game with missing Ai that its enemies can't drive cars...

So either they are being bribed by those companies or something or they are scared to give a real honest view on something in fear of being called a "hater" or having the site look like its wildly different then the rest of the reviews or something.

So I find that many in the games media only want to argue what the popular opinion is and if they have a media darling, prepare for all issues to be ignored by those developers. They don't care about issues in games, they care about issues in games by publisher that the public love to make hate articles on....

Reactions: Bryank75

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Colin Mortiarty/Last Stand Media. Even when he operated within the vanilla games media landscape, he didn’t give me the vibe he was there just to be liked by his peers. He’s practically been ousted from that space. I don’t listen to his podcast regularly but I will make it a point to check out his take when there’s a controversial moment happening.

BrokenGamezHDR. He’s been around for something like 15 years now. Weapon Wheel podcast is okay for a change of pace. All members of that crew operate like they don’t give a damn about being popular, which is commendable.

David Jaffe. Another guy not a part of legacy games media, and has the added bonus of actually making amazing games. A bit of a contrarian I suspect, I don’t listen regularly. His clips are always interesting depending on the topic.

Gamer2323. PlayStation guy, very funny.

I talk so much shit myself I don’t feel the need to consume a bunch of gaming related commentary. Most “content creators” for video games are just that, content farms fishing for whatever take will get them more views. I could name dozens of these guys.
He's one of the ppl I respect the least in games media. Can't stand his 🤡ass. Guy knows nothing just speculates and says crap as if its based on something. PS doesn't acknowledge his show or has anything to do with him. Where's the socom game he said was coming 3 yrs ago? Where's the bloodborn remake he said bluepoint was working on and 3 yrs later blueprint says they weren't working on it was never working on it. He repeats others ppls rumors and leaks and if information is circulating Twitter he will repeat it on his show as if he heard it first.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I observe the landscape of games media. I watch various Youtubers, I'll read from various games outlets, I'll listen to various podcasts and I come away with the following realization...

There is almost nobody in games media that I think gives genuinely interesting or intelligent takes. I hear the same concepts regurgitated using different words by just about everybody. Plenty of likeable, decent people but few who I listen to and think "Wow, that's an interestin position I haven't thought of before". Here's a few people that I feel can provide interesting insight into the hobby we all love.

Richard Hoeg from The Bitcast Podcast. I generally respect is takes on the business of games and he doesn't seem to succumb to groupthink.

David Jaffe. He says a lot of stuff that doesn't appeal to me but just as I'm about to turn him off he'll provide a unique take on something interesting.

Hit the Limit Break Podcast. I just started listening to a new podcast that interviews game developers in the industry who aren't trying to sell their new game. Love this.

Can you think of any media or media personalities that you feel provide something more than the usual talking points?
No one! Games industry and vgc gives good info tho. I don't really care about any journos opinion and I don't really read reviews. Tom Henderson gives solid info but even he bullshts and has given contradictory info.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
her
GWE5LNbWoAAbQQh

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Jeff Gerstmann
Matt McMuscles
Peer Schnieder
Kat uhhhh Whatshername from NVC