Who should replace Xbox in the console market if Microsoft bows out and pulls the plug? Poll

• Thread starter Deleted member 223
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 223

It's no secret that MS and Xbox have been consistently a third place player on the console business for decades now. That fact won't change neither in the near or far future. We also know that Xbox has been a money pit for years (see Epic vs. Apple lawsuit). Thus as the weakest link of the chain, and considering MS's behavioral patterns of discarding big investments (see Zune, Mixer etc), it's highly likely that, if one of the big 3 bows out, it will probably be Miscrosoft's Xbox (at least in the hardware space).

Simple question: Who would you welcome (or think is more likely) to replace Xbox in the console market? Vote and discuss.

Reactions: Kokoloko
D

Deleted member 13

If Nvidia made their own console, it would have to be Windows-based similar to Valve's Steam Deck. Both of those solutions is pretty much what Valve has now but would be in console format. Nvidia would charge an arm and a leg but it would have the most power. However, it logically wouldn't make sense because the PC is already around now. Apple? Nah.. possibly though.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
I can see Amazon joining the game, unfortunately with a similar mindset as MS:

Trying to buy success, pushing for cloud and services instead of ownership.

Last edited:

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
In the event Microsoft bows out, I don't see anyone else getting involved. Amazon might be flirting with streaming, but they won't take the full plunge into gaming.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Deleted member 13
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

I was also going to add Facebook but no more space.

Valve has been dwelling with hardware for quite a while with VR, and now the Steamdeck which is basically a handheld console. I think it's they who are more than likely the ones that will at least attempt to fill the void quick. The OS backend is pretty much done for them.

I can also see Apple, Amazon, and Tencent try to jump in too.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I can see Amazon joining the game, unfortunately with a similar mindset as MS:

Trying to buy success, pushing for cloud and services instead of ownership.
There is zero reason for MS to not let you "own" a game, and there is no indication they are pushing anything "instead of ownership."

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Microsoft has already far outlived Sega in tenure for being a console maker, this whole MS doom and gloom talk has gotten real stale already :sneaky:

Faithless83

21 Jun 2022
Microsoft has already far outlived Sega in tenure for being a console maker, this whole MS doom and gloom talk has gotten real stale already :sneaky:
No one without MS money could have made it though with 3 gen loses. SEGA turned around a 90% Nintendo market share and had legs that MS never had.

Capcom, Sega and Square joining forces making an exclusive platform.
That would put a real dent in the market. The listed choices, not at all.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The big 3 all make money and have huge audiences. None are bowing out.
there all doing well, so yer i doubt we would ever see them close, just for competition sake, i hope they all remain.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I don't think anyone should replace Xbox / MSFT......

What I think has happened is Nintendo now do their own thing... hybrid / mostly dedicated mobile device.

Xbox / MSFT gaming is moving more and more to cloud and I think that will be their space in the future and they may buy Netflix and make it all one service.

Sony / PS should dedicate themselves fully to the home console and have a model like Apple, where they have a base model and a Pro model..... they expand to service all console / standardized hardware gamers.
The Pro model gets upgraded every 3 years and the base model gets upgraded every 6-7 years with a slim model at the halfway point.

Nintendo could sell 150 million handhelds per gen.
MSFT could have a 200 million subscription movie and games service
Sony could have 200-250 million console sales if they get production up to snuff.... but they really need to want it.

I think it will be impossible for any other companies to break in..... close to impossible anyway.

• brain
Reactions: Papacheeks

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I love Sony and their console and games, but for our own sake, as customers, I hope Xbox sticks around, otherwise we might be in a world of hurt, with Sony unchecked. That's not healthy at all for us.

Reactions: arvfab and Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think Google, Amazon and Apple will eventually join the industry regardless

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I love Sony and their console and games, but for our own sake, as customers, I hope Xbox sticks around, otherwise we might be in a world of hurt, with Sony unchecked. That's not healthy at all for us.

I agree. I just don’t like any of the big companies buying publishers and IP’s we’ve played for years

Reactions: Deleted member 38

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Would I trade Xbox for Valve? Yes, absolutely.

Would I trade Xbox for Amazon, Sega, NVidia, Tencent, Amazon, Apple, etc? Yes, why not? Xbox doesn't add anything positive to the gaming market, it's just an off-brand version of PlayStation trying to push a terrible vision for the gaming market.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

I see some fear of the unknown in some responses... which is perfectly fine, it's normal.

I myself wouldn't mind seeing Valve take a hack at it. Hopefully they can produce more AAA games than just Portal/Half-Life.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Apple's the only one who makes sense, and they already have a decent enough gaming platform with apple arcade.

they even have better and more varied exclusives than XBox already, like Fantasian (mistwalker) and an exclusive from Platinum that is a spiritual successor to Okami.

eacjbNbGkKCCcwSAmMsnEj-1200-80.png

World of Demons - Platinum.

1E20C393-9FF9-45D7-98AD-95158BCD2E13.jpeg

Fantasian - Mistwalker.

Xbox fans would literally kill for this kind of support, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.