Who should replace Xbox in the console market if Microsoft bows out and pulls the plug? Poll

• Thread starter Deleted member 223
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MScarpa

28 Jul 2022
I chose Valve because it's the only decent answer. Things are great how they are right now IMO. Nintendo is doing their thing. Sony is still doing what Sony does and making great games, and MS has done a 180 from last gen and is really doing well for themselves. I wouldn't want things any other way.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
-Made first person gaming mainstream on consoles with Halo
-Introduced an actual online infrastructure to console gaming, not the duct tape and spit solution PS2 used
-Brought HDDs to consoles to speed up loading times and games storage
-Revitalized backwards compatibility, and still the best at it in the last few generations
-Introduced much needed features like VRR to console space which sony would copy later
-Introduced game pass, the best deal in gaming.
I guess you never heard of medal of honor on PS1 or golden eye on the n64 or timesplitters on ps2

-Introduced an actual online infrastructure to console gaming, not the duct tape and spit solution PS2 used
PS2 and Dreamcast had online before XBOX and both were solid. They both worked well, at least they were innovative enough to offer online before the broadband phase which made things easier for MS when they came in. PS and DC did it first, MS was just taking a page from them when they came in much later.

PS2 had a huge HDD bay and could house drives much bigger than XBOX. PS3 had non proprietary drives over 360 which I think was a bigger net gain for gamers.

-Revitalized backwards compatibility, and still the best at it in the last few generations
Full BC of PS1 on PS2, full bc of PS1 and PS2 on PS3. I don't think any other console has matched that. two entire generations, every game playable.

-Introduced much needed features like VRR to console space which sony would copy later
Vrr was not a needed feature, 60fps, fully optimized games it's what's needed. Vrr still has not benefitted more than 1% of gamers.

Well since PS premium debuted, gamepass PR seems to have gone into hibernation in Chernobyl. The quality of PS plus is several tiers superior, even the basic plus games is superior in quality. Best deal in gaming has completely died down as ambassador's would be convicted of lying under oath or on summary conviction.

• brain
Reactions: Deleted member 223

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
I guess you never heard of medal of honor on PS1 or golden eye on the n64 or timesplitters on ps2
Neither of those franchises revolutionized fps gaming like Halo. Let's be real. There wasn't an entire generation of competetors being labeled "MoH killer" or "Goldeneye killer". But many many companies did try to make "Halo Killers".

PS2 and Dreamcast had online before XBOX and both were solid. They both worked well, at least they were innovative enough to offer online before the broadband phase which made things easier for MS when they came in. PS and DC did it first, MS was just taking a page from them when they came in much later.
PS and DC had it first, but XBL did it much better than either of those, and it's been the formula Sony and Nintendo followed since then.

PS2 had a huge HDD bay and could house drives much bigger than XBOX. PS3 had non proprietary drives over 360 which I think was a bigger net gain for gamers.
PS2 had a huge HDD bay but I can only think of 2, 3 games that actually utilized it. Sony learned the right lesson for the PS3.

Full BC of PS1 on PS2, full bc of PS1 and PS2 on PS3. I don't think any other console has matched that. two entire generations, every game playable.
"Revitalized".

Vrr was not a needed feature, 60fps, fully optimized games it's what's needed. Vrr still has not benefitted more than 1% of gamers.
In the absence of most games having 100% locked performance, VRR is a pretty essential feature supported by either console on hardware level now.

Well since PS premium debuted, gamepass PR seems to have gone into hibernation in Chernobyl.
On this forum, yes, agreed.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022

kermit-tea-meme-history-meaning.jpg

Steam Deck and Nintendo should occupy their own category.
And now Halo is dead 😄
pm0r3g06zco81.jpg

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Neither of those franchises revolutionized fps gaming like Halo. Let's be real. There wasn't an entire generation of competetors being labeled "MoH killer" or "Goldeneye killer". But many many companies did try to make "Halo Killers".

PS and DC had it first, but XBL did it much better than either of those, and it's been the formula Sony and Nintendo followed since then.

PS2 had a huge HDD bay but I can only think of 2, 3 games that actually utilized it. Sony learned the right lesson for the PS3.

"Revitalized".

In the absence of most games having 100% locked performance, VRR is a pretty essential feature supported by either console on hardware level now.

These Halo Killer pieces were editorial pieces from journalists, not gamers. Go look at MOH sales numbers though. Yet, I agree Halo was a big tentpole game in the fps franchise on console, but there were huge FPS games on console prior too. I think it was more Halo MP and Coop more than it's campaign, yet if you you really want to call a revolution, then nothing beats COD.

XBL monetized it and put it behind a paywall first. They introduced XBL with no dialup, only because the technology was there at the time, not because of innovation on their part. Running a network on dial-up was a bigger undertaking than establishing one when the technology had improved.

And they were huge games, apart from some XBLA games, the XBOX HDD was only used for DRM and game saves anyway.

"Revitalized".

I still think if you need enhancements, remasters and remakes are best. Just watch engagement on SOTC remake, GOD of War remasters, Lou Remasters, Uncharted remasters etc....Demon Souls etc... How many are playing Oblivion enhanced or Forza Horizon 1 enhanced. Now if Sony says they are remaking Killzone 2 or Killzone 1 with enhanced gameplay or the Resistance franchise, or Infamous 1 and 2, people will play and buy it again. No one is playing the same oblivion assets at close to 4k up rez, still with framedrops and the same textures and character models 20 years later. "Revitalized", did not have much vitality in engagement.

As an XBLIVE survey shows, no one is playing XBOX BC games.

xbox-1-backwards.jpg

Vrr is good if the developer is one like From Software. Every other game is perfectly fine and playable.

Well, since PS Plus debuted, all I'm seeing are $1 gamepass offers. MS down on gaming 7%. All we heard was that gamepass was breaking all barriers, netflix of gaming et al. Yet if you maintain it's all rosey amidst all that, then perhaps some will only agree it's not all it was hyped to be until Phil officially cancels it or speaks about it's lack of profitability.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Bernd Lauert
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

I think a lot of Xbox diehards have nightmares of seeing Xbox go but trust that before MS got into the console hardware scene, gaming existed, was healthy, and was way more traditional, and didn't need its presence, in so much as any other player with big bucks replacing Sega, who got squeezed out. You could even make the argument that, had SEGA stayed and not had been squeezed out of space by MS entrance (on top of Sony's beating), gaming would have been better off today. At least we wouldn't be seeing media campaigns about exclusives not mattering... that's for sure.

It's gonna be fine to let go, if the time comes. The sun will surely rise the next day. Not healthy to pump billions into a drain but that's MS privileged position - it's never a fair fight in business. The good news is, nothing lasts forever, not even empires (and the clock is surely ticking on the American one).... reality and common sense has a way of catching up, eventually. If the business is not sound, then it's not healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
These Halo Killer pieces were editorial pieces from journalists, not gamers. Go look at MOH sales numbers though. Yet, I agree Halo was a big tentpole game in the fps franchise on console, but there were huge FPS games on console prior too. I think it was more Halo MP and Coop more than it's campaign, yet if you you really want to call a revolution, then nothing beats COD.

You cannot tell me with a straight face there weren't hundreds and thousands of discussion topics about X game being the Halo Killer or Y game being the Halo Killer 😂

We've both been around forums a while to know that.

As an XBLIVE survey shows, no one is playing XBOX BC games.

xbox-1-backwards.jpg

That survey image is from 2016 to feb 2017.

Xbox BC was announced in 2015, there were barely many BC games by the time your survey image is from and the initial launch of BC on base XBO was lackluster, many games often ran worse than they did on native hardware.

Nor was game pass a thing where you had easy access to dozens of BC games immediately.

It's very safe to say things have changed dramatically between then and now both in terms of the quality and user engagement with the BC program.

Well, since PS Plus debuted, all I'm seeing are $1 gamepass offers. MS down on gaming 7%. All we heard was that gamepass was breaking all barriers, netflix of gaming et al. Yet if you maintain it's all rosey amidst all that, then perhaps some will only agree it's not all it was hyped to be until Phil officially cancels it or speaks about it's lack of profitability.

what ?

the $1 thing has been there since the programs inception, almost every company including apple, google, meta and MS (and very very likely Sony when their quarterly results come out) have gone down some percentage. That is hardly a metric for anything.

The rest of what you've said here is fanboy conjecture at best.

Last edited:

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
You cannot tell me with a straight face there weren't hundreds and thousands of discussion topics about X game being the Halo Killer or Y game being the Halo Killer 😂

We've both been around forums a while to know that.
Yes there was discussion around that, but it was from journalists. For example that Killzone is a Halo Killer bit was clearly from a gaming magazine, I had a copy. I still think it was just how impressive the visuals were on PS2 and how ambitious they proposed the game to be. Magazines had to sell somehow right?

That survey image is from 2016-2017.

Xbox BC was announced in 2015, there were barely many BC games by the time your survey image is from and the initial launch of BC on base XBO was lackluster, many games often ran worse than they did on native hardware.

Nor was game pass a thing where you had easy access to dozens of BC games immediately.

It's very safe to say things have changed dramatically between then and now both in terms of the quality and user engagement with the BC program.
Nothing has changed really. You really think more people are playing Ninja Gaiden Black right now than current gen games on XBOX? Not even last gen games. BC even on PS5 is just not being utilized as you think, maybe more on PS5 since you have enhancements to GOW, Horizon, Tsushima, Days Gone, but it's been a year plus already, most people have moved on. From here on people will play old games mostly if they are remasters or remakes.

what ?

the $1 thing has been there since the programs inception, almost every company including apple, google, meta and MS (and very very likely Sony when their quarterly results come out) have gone down some percentage. That is hardly a metric for anything.

The rest of what you've said here is fanboy conjecture at best.
Yeah, well I had not seen it for a while. Remember all the time before plus premium when Phil was saying gamepass was growing rapidly, when was the last report? How positive was it? Also, what is a must play game on gamepass this month? or coming up...

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Yes there was discussion around that, but it was from journalists. For example that Killzone is a Halo Killer bit was clearly from a gaming magazine, I had a copy. I still think it was just how impressive the visuals were on PS2 and how ambitious they proposed the game to be. Magazines had to sell somehow right?

Magazines started it and fanboys latched onto it.

Nothing has changed really. You really think more people are playing Ninja Gaiden Black right now than current gen games on XBOX? Not even last gen games. BC even on PS5 is just not being utilized as you think, maybe more on PS5 since you have enhancements to GOW, Horizon, Tsushima, Days Gone, but it's been a year plus already, most people have moved on. From here on people will play old games mostly if they are remasters or remakes.

🤷‍♂️

No one is saying people only buy new consoles to play old games, but BC engagement is real.

Yeah, well I had not seen it for a while. Remember all the time before plus premium when Phil was saying gamepass was growing rapidly, when was the last report? How positive was it? Also, what is a must play game on gamepass this month? or coming up...

I mean, just because you're not seeing it in your specific circles doesn't mean it's not happening lol

Game pass was cited as the main source to off set gaming revenue loss from not having first party this quarter in their earnings released 2 days ago, they have already projected game pass growth will do the same for the quarter ending September in the projected estimates.

This is a list of the day 1 game pass games they showed coming in the next couple of months, this doesn't include many games that get added in regular drops.

All of this is very easily accessible information.

-

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Xbox didn’t make Halo. Bungie made Halo. Which carried the Xbox brand on its back for two consoles.

IP wars LOL. Well that IP is also worthless now. Go figure

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: thelastword

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Apple is the only one who could put serious competition, but, I don't think they are interested.
Valve is a total failure when it comes to hardware.
yeah, valve's got the NGage2 out currently, but we haven't got any sales numbers and they're trickling the units out at a snails pace. either way Ngage 2 is a niche product for no one but the most diehard of steam fanboys, it's not a mass market product.

Soon enough we'll hear valve is going to stop taking Ngage 2 orders.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
They won't and they shouldn't. They should focus on improving their software offerings. The hardware is more than fine.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Xbox didn’t make Halo. Bungie made Halo. Which carried the Xbox brand on its back for two consoles.

IP wars LOL. Well that IP is also worthless now. Go figure
Yes, Halo is done, especially after hardcore Halo fans have now run for the hills. There's no salvaging it now, no talent left at MS to make it happen. Bungie is now owned by Sony. Gears also was made by Epic and that as a franchise is a figment of what it used to be. Gears 4 and 5 were so abysmal especially the last one, I don't see how they will turn it around now. The Coalition and 343i has dialed back many graphical and physics related aspects of these franchises from the 360 days on more powerful hardware. Stories in the game has become worse, main characters are now uninteresting and dull and animation has not improved with the times, no new animations, no new features.......Dom, Baird, Cole Train, Marcus, the General, Sonya. So many of the bad guys had personality and presence. That new cast in Gears, Eh!......I've not played Halo Infinite, I could, it was on gamepass, but I'm not even sure I should. I've seen enough to not waste my time.

Forza Motorsport is not even looking like it will be ready for next year, maybe by then GT7 will have a huge expansion, yet I don't see Motorsport outscoring GT this time. Journalists will have to justify that and from I've seen from the last trailer, I'm not sure they will be able to.

Apple is the only one who could put serious competition, but, I don't think they are interested.
Valve is a total failure when it comes to hardware.
Valve does not even make games anymore. Alyx VR does not count. So many good PC devs are out to pasture. Monolith, Starbreeze etc....Even EA use to give us some gems, Mirrors Edge, Dante's Inferno. Things have dried up so much from so many studios.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 223

Journalists will have to justify that and from I've seen from the last trailer, I'm not sure they will be able to.
I think you're underestimating the "journalists/influencers" capacity to manufacture wins. They're more than capable, if the client needs it sorely. Considering the recurring performance of this specific client, it almost always sorely needs it :ROFLMAO:. Which makes the whole thing an absolutely laughable charade to anyone with an IQ > 10. We've seen it already. It's not an even playing field. Not in the slightest. As should be expected for a big client with home court advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I think you're underestimating their capacity to manufacture wins. They're more than capable, if the client needs it sorely. We've seen it already.
Well that is true. I see people are praising dynamic TOD in Forza 8 as the holy grail. MY goodness GT has been doing that since PS3, now it;'s pretty neat stuff. Leadbetter was basically crooning to the dynamic tod tune. Yes, there's potential fellation there for sure. If it was flipped though. "Well a little late to the party for Sony here, Forza has been doing this since the 360 days, it's nothing new".....

Status
Not open for further replies.