Why Are People Happy That Concord Is Failing?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Saw this video and found it to be a succinct address on Why Are People Happy That Concord Is Failing?

The speaker says that Sony fans hate Concord because it represents a transition on the part of Jim Ryan to live service games. Old school PlayStation fans hate Concord because it represents everything they hate about modern AAA games. Concord is a game that is only green lit because developers were hoping or Executives were hoping that it would pop off even though it had basically no chance of doing that.

He also says that Concord represents a huge colossal waste of time and money and resources from a company that has seen their output of the products customers actually want drop precipitously.

There’s a lot more detail, but he summarises quite accurately my feelings towards the game. Do you agree?

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
It got labeled as woke. Players are done with that stuff en masse.

Helldivers sold 13 million. Just compare the two and their presentation.

Helldivers, while a parody of imperialism, also takes itself seriously.

Consumers don’t even want to give concord a chance.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
There are two possible answers to that question:

1. Out of spite. Fanboys of other consoles might be happy to see other platforms fail "just because".

2. People are always told to "vote with their wallets" instead of "whining" when they not agree with some busines/creative decisions. If enough people do it, it might make an impact for future decisions. And people are of course happy if enough send the same message.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Saw this video and found it to be a succinct address on Why Are People Happy That Concord Is Failing?

The speaker says that Sony fans hate Concord because it represents a transition on the part of Jim Ryan to live service games. Old school PlayStation fans hate Concord because it represents everything they hate about modern AAA games. Concord is a game that is only green lit because developers were hoping or Executives were hoping that it would pop off even though it had basically no chance of doing that.

He also says that Concord represents a huge colossal waste of time and money and resources from a company that has seen their output of the products customers actually want drop precipitously.

There’s a lot more detail, but he summarises quite accurately my feelings towards the game. Do you agree?

99.99% of gaming influencers are trash and only perpetuate negativity and toxicity in gaming community.the are worse than journalist. They will pick a game nitpick on a few points about it than see how much attention it can get them. Their content is just trashing games. Its disgusting.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
dozens of games were cancelled, sequels for games that sold 10M+ copies were denied (Days Gone 2 coff coff) for games like Concord to get greenlit? people are right to be happy about it failling.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
People can say whatever they want. Shit on any game all you want.

But… some people have no chill. I follow game devs on twitter… you should see the harassment Concord devs are getting. It’s shameful.

I would highly encourage game devs to stay off social media in general. Especially if they’re working on online games where the community is more vocal and social than others. Leave it to the community managers and pr guys to deal with damage control.

Concord was not rejected because it was GaaS. It was rejected because it’s Concord; uninspired woke-typical art direction and wildly unoriginal from a gameplay standpoint. Gaas are still popping off, from Helldivers to First Descendant, to Palworld… next Warhammer.

No one wants what Firewalk is selling. It’s definitely going to be shutdown… and soon.

PS - hero shooters are giant piles of cringe poop. All of them… tried Valorant — just as lame with its cartoon presentation

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
star-child-concord-1.jpg
74389007.b8oR04IQ.jpg

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It is a perfect storm of so many things that the vast majority of people have rightfully mentioned in this thread already.

I sometimes don't get Sony on the game's front, especially with something like Bloodborne, for example.

With just how well received Eldern Ring was, even this Wukang game being souls like, why do they not green light a bloodborne remaster and a sequel.

It would easily shift massive numbers, become an instant fan favourite, and probably become a GOTY candidate or winner.

I hope this makes Sony rethink there strategy but I doubt it, the allure, the financial gain of producing something like fortnight is just to great.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lmao the reasons he mentioned are not even accurate one look at some of the nonsense said alone on this site goes completely against what was said in the video.

Concord would exist with or without Sony firstly.

Reactions: Entropi

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Online discourse is almost exclusively from gamers with a strong single player bias. They feel an existential threat from the rise and dominance of Live Service games.

As with any tribe, they will champion a win for as long as humanly possible in an attempt to trick themselves into believing Live Service isn't the future of the medium.

They're wrong of course.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo
OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Online discourse is almost exclusively from gamers with a strong single player bias. They feel an existential threat from the rise and dominance of Live Service games.

As with any tribe, they will champion a win for as long as humanly possible in an attempt to trick themselves into believing Live Service isn't the future of the medium.

They're wrong of course.
Why is live service the future? If everything is live service wouldn’t some capitalise on the void?

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Why is live service the future? If everything is live service wouldn’t some capitalise on the void?
Theres so many reasons. The biggest one is arguably because people are the most social animal on earth and games are just starting to capitalize on that fact.

When I say "Live Service is the future" I mean it in the same way someone might say "3D is the future of gaming" back in 1994. There will always be single player games like there will always be 2D indies.

OP
OP
Shmunter

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Theres so many reasons. The biggest one is arguably because people are the most social animal on earth and games are just starting to capitalize on that fact.

When I say "Live Service is the future" I mean it in the same way someone might say "3D is the future of gaming" back in 1994. There will always be single player games like there will always be 2D indies.
How are live service games survive with handfuls of players? Surely time is a factor, not everyone can be in all games at once? Whereas single is one and done so can make sales money.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
How are live service games survive with handfuls of players? Surely time is a factor, not everyone can be in all games at once? Whereas single is one and done so can make sales money.

Games are the platforms now. Nintendo, Sega, XBox, Playstation.

Just because the Atari, Jaguar, 3DO, CDi etc failed, didn't mean console platforms didn't have their place.

Also, the reason single player has been surpassed so quickly is precisely because of the environment you described. In Live Service, you can only succeed if you're better than your competitors or if you find a new niche. Single player games don't benefit from that competitive environment which means they can get lazy because their audience is constantly hungry.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
People hate concord because they made a Ubislop game cosplaying as Sony 1st party AAA game- Unoriginal, Boring, Uninspiring product packaged with a serving of look guys "we are the good guys with le epic moral values". These short term greedy decisions are working out and I expect the stock price to hit 16000 yen, But it is going to be all downhill from the time switch 2 releases

• thisistheway
Reactions: Neversummer