Why Are People Happy That Concord Is Failing?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yup, pc folks hate “woke”. PS folks hate “live service”. Combine the 2 and you get………Concord.
Then toss in xbox grifters and grifters in general and you get this outcome, a circle jerk of haters and juveniles.
Yep
I think lots of PS folks hate woke too and lots of PC guys in the xbox grifters section.

Sony also should of stepped in with the character designs/pronouns. That alone has stopped so many people trying it. And even though I hate FP2, they should be able to read the room, seems like if your game is PVP only then they need to do that.

Also PS fans love single player games, so Sony needs to give that to its gamers if they are charging $40. Helldivers can be played alone basically.
Id rather they put in the money for a campaign and some extra content for $60

Reactions: toadsage44

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Yep
I think lots of PS folks hate woke too and lots of PC guys in the xbox grifters section.

Sony also should of stepped in with the character designs/pronouns. That alone has stopped so many people trying it. And even though I hate FP2, they should be able to read the room, seems like if your game is PVP only then they need to do that.

Also PS fans love single player games, so Sony needs to give that to its gamers if they are charging $40. Helldivers can be played alone basically.
Id rather they put in the money for a campaign and some extra content for $60
On Sony stepping in, thats a no go for me, let the artist cook, if people don't like the artist design then cool its just not for some people. But asking executives to tell artist what to design i dont want that future.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
On Sony stepping in, thats a no go for me, let the artist cook, if people don't like the artist design then cool its just not for some people. But asking executives to tell artist what to design i dont want that future.

Normally Id agree, but they saw the reception and should of done something imo

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Personally, I am happy with the failure - but only because I believe Sony needs some big losses that stem from not really listening to what gamers want - to get back to being consumer centric and really listening to what gamers desire. This includes PR, communications, etc in addition to the games themselves.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Normally Id agree, but they saw the reception and should of done something imo
It was honestly prolly too late to do anything without a delay tho. But i agree something had to be done.
Biggest issue with concord for me is no single player.

• they're_right_you_know

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's not how it should be though! I get that they revealed it close to release so really no hard changes could be made, but Sony sat and twiddled their thumbs and let the backlash get outta control. If it was even to address concerns and say future updates will rectify the issue and remove pronouns and stuff.

The entire rollout was the worst ever for a PlayStation first party game I've ever seen.

• they're_right_you_know

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
I mean both PS / Xbox and PC games destroyed Concord. Everyone knows about Concord as you can just check YouTube and every big channel is slandering the game constantly as these videos rack up a lot of views... They and you guys poisoned the well for this game... And then turn around and act like the game itself just came out and it fell on its face because no one was simply not interested.

Unfortunately we live in an era where people like to be told what to like and play... What's good or bad without ever trying for themselves. Where gamers are happy sitting watching games being played instead of playing...

Yes Sony and FireWalk also fucked up but the gaming. Community as a whole ganged up on this game, and it simply never stood a chance
The amount of hate generated FAR more engagement then anything positive. Discourse on this game, you got 1 person who played it for every 50 haters. These big name influencers with millions of views absolutely had a lot to do with this situation. Sony/Firewalk seriously fumbled the way it was presented to audiences as well.

Very sad situation for a game that by all accounts is great.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko and Danja

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Concord died because it was a generic hero shooters with nothing special + ass hero design

I think that Concord could have been successful with:
  • Unique, cool and badass artstyle different than the popular MP shooters
  • Some very cool & fun main game mode or mechanic that would make a difference compared to the popular MP shooters
  • Diverse cast but with characters more proportional and appealing to the FPS/tactical shooter/eSports(I don't have the hero shooter one but if available that one too) player demographics:
    • Half of the cast being muscular/fit, handsome male characters
    • A quarter of the cast being female characters with attractive and femenine body proportions and attitudes (having boobs, not androginous proportions, not obese, not tomboys)
    • A quarter of the cast being robot/exotic alien colors for skin or hair, gorilla, very thin, chubby, obese to add variety also in silhouettes
    • Half of the cast white-ish (including nordic/tan/latin/mediterranean/arab) humans, with different skin and natural hair colors (blonde, red, brown, black)
    • A quarter of the cast being black or (not arab) Asian
    • All playable characters should be badass or cute, in addition to cool, charismatic and unique
    • Apply "diversity" to the enemies too: avoid using white heterosexual men only for bad guys, dumb and weak enemy/NPC characters
    • No made up genders / pronouns / LGTB etc. in the game other than some hint in some not frequent sentence. If want to include these things keep it mainly for the lore outside the game, similar to as done in Street Fighter. They had a gay character in SF1, a trans character, bisexual characters, trans character... nobody complained about them and people love them
Price was definitely a problem. People knowing it was a $40 hero shooter made them already dismiss the concord beta cause most people knew that game was doa not to mention the slew of other downsides I mention before.
Marvel rivals is a 1 to 1 clone of Overwatch but it’s F2P, has cool cosmetic, rank mode & bad ass hero design using the marvel license & it will be a massive success.

Price isn't a problem for CoD, Destiny 2, Rainbow Six Siege, Helldivers 2 etc.

If people would have loved the game but the price would have been the issue then a ton of people would have praised the game, played the beta and would have skipped the game. But isn't the case, people is hating it and spamming shit about it even if never even played the beta.

90% of the hate comes from being a Sony game: anti-Sony fanboys who are fanboys of Xbox and Nintendo plus anti-Sony fanboys who are supposed to be Sony fans but are constantly spamming hate, fud and lies about this game, their studio or Sony because want PlayStation to fail and shut down because they don't make enough games of the type they want and can't stand to see Sony making GaaS, MP games or publishing games outside PS.

If Marvel Rivals would be a Sony game would have received that same hate from these same fanbosys.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think forty dollars up front when your competitors are free is a big part of it. But another one is the game's big selling point was supposed to be the weekly story drops but we saw the first one in a SoP and it was bland as all get out. I don't think that part of the presentation, which was supposed to be the game's X Factor, brought anyone in and instead became a thing of mockery.

And yes, as a live service game that is designed to engage players for years, well player time is limited and you can't just be "okay" and expect to gain and keep an audience like that. 8s aren't acceptable, you have to be a 9 or 10.

Last edited:

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
This makes me think of Hogwarts and Stellar Blade as examples of recent objectively well put together games that delivered fan service - yet strangely there were a lot of people not happy about what appeared to be good games. If "I dislike this for political reasons" is valid for one group it's valid for another, enjoy the bed you made.

I'm not into hero shooters but it seems fairly obvious to me that the market was not looking for a new one and people like these things free not $40. Also giant fat black lady master chief had me howling the second I saw it.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It was honestly prolly too late to do anything without a delay tho. But i agree something had to be done.
Biggest issue with concord for me is no single player.
Reskins and designs happen all the time, shouldnt be too hard tbh.

But Yes I would of loved a campaign. Story could of been how the crew got together and their backstory. I played Timesplitters 2 recently and the mission design/map design would of been great for this.
Then carry it on via pvp

Reactions: Zzero

Savagefrogdemon

13 Feb 2023
If Playstation want's a successful gaas I shall spell it out for them Wipeout online racing leagues with a banging techno soundtrack.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Well it depends if your 5k F2P uses a unique art style to keep cost & have less then 50 devs sure they can probably do the math to survive w just 5K players.

But a AAA studio that’s making 2 AAA games w one of there F2P live service on PC pulling under 15K daily ccu is not good signs. That studio probably has like 300-500 devs & what is there studio location at? Cali? Washington? Those places are expensive.

Remember...the ~400 person Destiny team was able to float at 1,300 person Bungie for a length of time while averaging around 80k CCU.

I think The Finals (made by 75 employees) is doing just fine with a 20 CCU avg.

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I would never want a game to flop. Those game developers are friends and families, fathers, mothers, children. All working hard, all putting their love and energy into a game. I may not LIKE the game, but I like that fact that there are game developers out there making games to the best of their ability for us.

• Heart
  • haha
Reactions: Zzero and Loy310

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Remember...the ~400 person Destiny team was able to float at 1,300 person Bungie for a length of time while averaging around 80k CCU.

I think The Finals (made by 75 employees) is doing just fine with a 20 CCU avg.

Destiny also sells $120 worth of content a year to sustain operations as it paywalls new content. So… very much not comparable.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Destiny also sells $120 worth of content a year to sustain operations as it paywalls new content. So… very much not comparable.
Smite averages ~10k on Steam.
Paladins averages ~5k on Steam.

Hi Rez Studios is 450 employees. I think The Finals is doing fine.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Fact is people are sick of this type of multiplayer games. Almost all of these games are copy-paste from each others. They are as redundant as those Doner kobab places in Germany. Add to that characters that don't appeal to majority of gamers.

I remember developers experimenting many ideas during PS360 generation. Sure, many of the innovative multiplayer games failed during that era, but it was mainly because multiplayer at that era was mostly considered a side dish and not all people had best internet connection.

Reactions: Entropi

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's so funny how suddenly everyone is sick of this games when it relates to Concord but we also had people on this very forum and outside announcing how a game like Valorant was gonna eat Concord for breakfast... When it launches on console.

Marvel Rivals again didn't face this same narrative... But for Concord... Too late, oversaturated market, should have been canceled...

A lot of revisionist history taking place because people don't wanna admit why they really are shitting on this game.

Funny to see though.