Why is Insomniac Games Incapable of making a successful new IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Liscensed IP or not, I dont think that's fair to leavy against Insomniac who's output and reception have both been stellar. I think they're Sony's shining studio even though their games are simply not in my wheelhouse.

Plus, superhero IP isnt stuck in the state it was. You can't compare PS5 Spidey to some of the other efforts we got back then, the comparison scale doesn't work-out?

Reactions: Bo_Hazem

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Successful IPs. Sales. Look at Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Selling 10 or 20 million copies when all is said and done.
Insomniac's big success is Spider-Man. But as soon as they try to make their own AAA IP they fail and go back to Ratchet & Clank.
They have a problem with creating their own big successful IPs. Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Resistance... they all struggled to make money. Even though they had huge budgets and marketing campaigns.
I will ask you source for these claims?

I believe Fuse was indeed a failure but SO, Resistance, etc all made money.

Can you show the proof they were not profitable? Resistance have 3 games because the same of the first was good.

Plus they made Spider-man that sold what 30 million?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I mean look at the one gameplay trailer. There is a reason why they only made one gameplay trailer so far. It's pretty much a big expansion of the GOW 2018 game. Same game just more of it. Like Ghost of Tsushima and the Iki Island expansion.
Whilst I dont agree in GOWR's case, why are you framing it as a bad thing? I want a faster turnaround for sequels or story dlc chapters, personally. I can hold on some graphics level or gameplay feature set for a few years and get more stories from it, whilst they develop the next movement tech (or whatever) over a longer period of time.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
They are "efficient" in copying & pasting Sunset Overdrive games. Just look at Spider-Man and SM: Miles Morales. Pretty much the same games. Just reskinned Sunset games. Take the Marvel license away and all that is left is Ratchet & Clank. Insomniac will be in shambles in the near future.
It would be better for them if they make more Assassin's Creed clones like Ghost of Tsushima or Days Gone. Their Spider-Man game already is one, but they need to make a new IP with a brand new main character.
The best part about Spider-Man games are web-swinging, the batman-like combat and their take on the Spider-man IP. None of that was present in Sunset Overdrive. The Spider-Man games aren't pushing story telling or revolutionizing gameplay but they are very polished and just a blast to play.

Sunset Overdrive was destined to bomb, that game was very off-putting mainly because the IP sucked in every possible way regardless if the gameplay was good or not. I have no idea how MS greenlit that game. Even the traversal part didn't flow nearly as well as it does in Spider-man.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Successful IPs. Sales. Look at Uncharted, TLOU, Horizon or Ghost of Tsushima. Selling 10 or 20 million copies when all is said and done.
Insomniac's big success is Spider-Man. But as soon as they try to make their own AAA IP they fail and go back to Ratchet & Clank.
They have a problem with creating their own big successful IPs. Fuse, Sunset Overdrive, Resistance... they all struggled to make money. Even though they had huge budgets and marketing campaigns.
I mean if resistance struggle to make money, you wouldn't see 3 games out of it. Yeah fuse was a turd critically wise. And sunset was xbox fault not imsoniac. You don't make an exclusive for a console that is struggling and then expect to make any money.
They are doing wonderfully with spiderman and ratchet and there is no trace for them to slow down. And spiderman helped them to be a powerhouse, people lose their shit when imsoniac games logo pops out. Whatever they decide to do next will be looked with a different eyes.
Sony just struck gold. Imsoniac was the best deal Sony could ever make.
They are in the top in this industry right now.
People lost their shit when they find out imsoniac is making wolverine.
Loads of studios are making marvel games. None has the hype close to imsoniac

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I mean look at the one gameplay trailer. There is a reason why they only made one gameplay trailer so far. It's pretty much a big expansion of the GOW 2018 game. Same game just more of it. Like Ghost of Tsushima and the Iki Island expansion.
Everyone who's been paying attention, knows Ragnarok will be too big to ever be considered DLC

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU
Great thread guys, I needed a good laugh! If anything GoWR is bigger than the base game, but it's DLC? Yeah ok then. Resistance games were great, but it's clear you haven't played any of the games mentioned anyway. I would rate the OPs bait thread 3 worms out of 10, you won't even catch @Sircaw with this one!

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Spidey and Wolverine are Marvel IPs.
The thread is about Insomniac struggling to create their OWN successful IPs. New IPs. Like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted and The Last of Us.
All Insomniac has is Ratchet & Clank from the PS2 era. And now they use Marvel IPs. They are a Marvel factory right now. Working on IPs they don't own / didn't make.

It does. Insomniac struggles to make their own successful IPs. That's why they're making Marvel games now.
Sure Jan GIF

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
I will ask you source for these claims?

I believe Fuse was indeed a failure but SO, Resistance, etc all made money.

Can you show the proof they were not profitable? Resistance have 3 games because the same of the first was good.

Plus they made Spider-man that sold what 30 million?
You too were on Neogaf back in the days. You were in the NPD threads. So don't act like you don't know how these games were doing.
Fuse flopped. Sunset Overdrive didn't even sell 1 million copies on Xbox, even though it got a huge marketing budget and got bundled with a white XBO special edition.
Resistance was an expensive AAA game. Resistance 2 killed the franchise. Resistance 3 was a good game but sold poorly because 2 damaged the series. Even Insomniac mentioned this in one of their interviews. Did they lose money with the whole series? Maybe, maybe not. Were these three games huge successful AAA games? No.

Yes they made Spider-Man. That's the point. They are making Marvel games now because they are struggling to make their own IPs. That's the whole point of this thread.
They are a Marvel factory now. Spider-Man, SM Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2, Woverine;
I mean if resistance struggle to make money, you wouldn't see 3 games out of it.
You got two Gravity Rush games and one expansion. You got two Knack games. You got three White Knight Chronicles games. Sony needed games back then and kept making sequels. They needed a Halo killer. Their own famous FPS. So they kept making Resistance and Killzone games.

Insomniac can't make their own IPs these days. And when the day comes where Marvel goes away... all that is left at Insomniac is an old PS2 adventure/platformer hybrid called Ratchet & Clank. Naughty Dog dropped Jak & Daxter and made Uncharted and TLOU. Guerrilla managed to drop Killzone and finally made a blockbuster with Horizon. Even Sucker Punch managed to get a huge blockbuster hit with Ghost of Tsushima. Insomniac is working on IPs they don't own because they can't make their own IPs. This has been a problem for them... for a very long time. That's a fact! Why is this so hard to understand?

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
yeah, this is a pretty elaborate troll thread from and already suspect propagandist user.

got any free WelfarePass codes to hand out, by any chance?

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
You too were on Neogaf back in the days. You were in the NPD threads. So don't act like you don't know how these games were doing.
Fuse flopped. Sunset Overdrive didn't even sell 1 million copies on Xbox, even though it got a huge marketing budget and got bundled with a white XBO special edition.
Resistance was an expensive AAA game. Resistance 2 killed the franchise. Resistance 3 was a good game but sold poorly because 2 damaged the series. Even Insomniac mentioned this in one of their interviews. Did they lose money with the whole series? Maybe, maybe not. Were these three games huge successful AAA games? No.

Yes they made Spider-Man. That's the point. They are making Marvel games now because they are struggling to make their own IPs. That's the whole point of this thread.
They are a Marvel factory now. Spider-Man, SM Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2, Woverine;

You got two Gravity Rush games and one expansion. You got two Knack games. You got three White Knight Chronicles games. Sony needed games back then and kept making sequels. They needed a Halo killer. Their own famous FPS. So they kept making Resistance and Killzone games.

Insomniac can't make their own IPs these days. And when they day comes where Marvel goes away... all that is left at Insomniac is an old PS2 adventure/platformer hybrid called Ratchet & Clank. Naughty Dog dropped Jak & Daxter and made Uncharted and TLOU. Guerrilla managed to drop Killzone and finally made a blockbuster with Horizon. Even Sucker Punch managed to get a huge blockbuster hit with Ghost of Tsushima. Insomniac is working on IPs they don't own because they can't make their own IPs. This has been a problem for them... for a very long time. That's a fact! Why is this so hard to understand?
I mean they just got bought because they don't own any ips. Now they under Sony umbrella. They are one of the best developers in the world right now.
They release spiderman, ratchet, mile morales, next spiderman 2, wolverine and what else god knows they have plenty of developers. For you to have an idea.
They are only 4 years in sonys umbrella now theybdont have to worry about making a game to keep the studio afloat they will go nuts.
Look at the level of ratchet compared to the previous ones before they were aquire. The scope of spiderman the first game of the franchise.
Dude imsoniac are in another league.
Spiderman 2 will outsell everything next year or whenever it comes out.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
I mean if resistance struggle to make money, you wouldn't see 3 games out of it. Yeah fuse was a turd critically wise. And sunset was xbox fault not imsoniac. You don't make an exclusive for a console that is struggling and then expect to make any money.
They are doing wonderfully with spiderman and ratchet and there is no trace for them to slow down. And spiderman helped them to be a powerhouse, people lose their shit when imsoniac games logo pops out. Whatever they decide to do next will be looked with a different eyes.
Sony just struck gold. Imsoniac was the best deal Sony could ever make.
They are in the top in this industry right now.
People lost their shit when they find out imsoniac is making wolverine.
Loads of studios are making marvel games. None has the hype close to imsoniac
Insomniac wasn't the only studio that got screwed with Xbox One exclusive deal, pretty much every single one bombed and negatively affected the studios.

Remedy (ended up having to work on stuff like Crossfire X)
Crytek (can't hardly make a game anymore)
Crystal Dynamics (ended up being sold and the Tomb Raider IP hasn't yet recovered)
Capcom Vancouver (defunct, Dead Rising IP nowhere to be seen)
Double Helix Games (defunct)
Respawn (ended up being bought by EA)

The Xbox One deals reminds me of the Vita when it comes to killing studios or putting them in bad positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.