Why the lack of attention to what Nintendo is up to?

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Sony has entirely raised the bar for AAA gaming, particularly Uncharted, God of War, and the Last of Us. Assassin's Creed fans have been begging for a Japanese setting since like 2012 and after Sony showed that it was possible, they turned to it almost immediately.

Games like Wukong are very much inspired by God of War, particularly God of War 2018 and it isn't the only one. God of War 2018 has had about as much impact on the industry as the Arkham games.

Spider-Man also launched a renewal in interest in big licensing endeavors with large budgets attached.

Going back further, Sony definitely inspired racing simulators with Gran Turismo.

SOCOM was one of the first games to really push what is modern voice chat in games.

Crash Bandicoot inspired Temple Run.

Jak and Daxter and Spider-Man have influenced the industry on load time techniques as have many Sony games.
People in this thread are saying Nintendo doesn't currently influence the industry so I am only going by this current generation (Switch) and why I said in my post: "I find it weird that people point out Nintendo doesn't have much influence on the industry right now"

So those things you brought up in the pre PS4 gen aren't what I would consider influencing the current industry unless you want me to bring up the Wii to N64 days.

Yes Uncharted raised the par on big budget games but it mostly had it's big influence in the PS3 days as I don't really see many devs trying to chase what Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy did.

and the point you brought up about Spider-Man opening up the big licensing endeavors is a fair point but since then what have we had since Spider-Man 2018? Indiana Jones, Blade is coming out from Xbox.

Heck Sony and Square tried promoting Foamstars (a game I love) but it is clearly inspired by Splatoon.
Anyway my point is out of the big three Nintendo still influences the most in the current day industry

Reactions: Systemshock2023

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
People in this thread are saying Nintendo doesn't currently influence the industry so I am only going by this current generation (Switch) and why I said in my post: "I find it weird that people point out Nintendo doesn't have much influence on the industry right now"

So those things you brought up in the pre PS4 gen aren't what I would consider influencing the current industry unless you want me to bring up the Wii to N64 days.

Yes Uncharted raised the par on big budget games but it mostly had it's big influence in the PS3 days as I don't really see many devs trying to chase what Uncharted 4 or Lost Legacy did.

and the point you brought up about Spider-Man opening up the big licensing endeavors is a fair point but since then what have we had since Spider-Man 2018? Indiana Jones, Blade is coming out from Xbox.

Heck Sony and Square tried promoting Foamstars (a game I love) but it is clearly inspired by Splatoon.
Anyway my point is out of the big three Nintendo still influences the most in the current day industry

I definitely think Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 have set a standard in the AAA space. I think you've seen SIE rise to that challenge and I think you see a lot of other studios rising to that challenge too. The explosion in the AAA space could be directly tied to the success of Uncharted 4.

I don't think you can look at Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Fallen Order. I also think it probably was a factor in Elden Ring. Indiana Jones and Blade like you mentioned are direct responses to Spider-Man and one happened before Microsoft bought Zenimax. You also have Ubisoft's Avatar.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Banana

10 Jan 2023
The more I think about it. Metroid Prime 4 is the wild card. There is little chance it releases before Monster Hunter Wilds at this point. I don't know if Nintendo wants to do a repeat of launching games exclusive to one platform after the next one launches like they did with 3DS and Switch. Those 3DS games that came out after the switch released sold pretty bad.
I imagine Metroid Prime 4 is either cross gen or the last big Switch game and if that is the case then maybe Switch 2 launched after the end of the current fiscal year (March 31st, 2025.)

I find it weird that people point out Nintendo doesn't have much influence on the industry right now when they probably have the most influence out of the big three console makers. Sony's Ghost of Tsushima does seem to have inspired some games and I feel little Last of Us influence on the RE Engine Resident Evil games but Sony and Microsoft really don't influence anything really in terms of video game releases.

Genshin Impact clearly looked like it was inspired by BOTW.
Astrobot looks like it took a lot of inspiration from Mario Galaxy
Sackboy's big Adventure feels a lot like Super Mario 3D Land/Super Mario 3D World
Palworld clearly has inspiration from Pokemon
Death Stranding and Horizon Forbidden West added a climbing mechanic similar to BOTW that Zero Dawn didn't have.
The entire industry copies Nintendo. The entire industry only exists because of Nintendo.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I definitely think Uncharted 4 and TLOU2 have set a standard in the AAA space. I think you've seen SIE rise to that challenge and I think you see a lot of other studios rising to that challenge too. The explosion in the AAA space could be directly tied to the success of Uncharted 4.

I don't think you can look at Hogwarts Legacy, Jedi Fallen Order. I also think it probably was a factor in Elden Ring. Indiana Jones and Blade like you mentioned are direct responses to Spider-Man and one happened before Microsoft bought Zenimax. You also have Ubisoft's Avatar.
well are you saying SIE is more influential to current day developers than Nintendo or not? I'm not arguing SIE doesn't influence other game but if Nintendo has no influence on current day devs like some are claiming in this thread then SIE would have no influence as well. I think it is kinda a stretch to say Hogwarts was inspired by Spider-Man as they started making that game in 2017 before we would know how well it would sell and there was a giant leak of it in 2018 shortly after Spider-Man release I believe.
I would also argue that it wasn't Uncharted 4 that set the standard in the AAA space as that game didn't really influece anybody. It was Call of Duty MW the previous gen:

The last of us does have some influence on the RE Engine Resident Evi games tho. RE7 tried to be more grounded with the mold than the last 3 RE games before it and the weapon selection boxes in RE4 remake look very similar to TLOU 2's but that's about it.

The only things you could maybe say Sony influence Nintendo on are Mario Maker, Yarn Kirby and Yarn Yoshi look similar to LittleBigPlanet, and maybe the 2D Zelda games on switch kind look like 3D dot game heroes on PS3.

Everything else:
Climbing in BOTW (Horizon 2/Death Stranding.)
Nintendo Directs (This started in the late Wii era but everyone else have copied Nintendo's format.)
Splatoon (Foamstars.)
Mario 3D land/world (Sackboy inspired from it.)
Astro bot taking a lot of notes from Mario Galaxy
Genshin Impact copying BOTW's art style.
Palworld clearly being inspired by pokemon
heck the PS Portal even sort of seems like a Wii U Gamepad, Not that the Wii U gamepad was super innovative but it's weird to see something like this exist.

all those things with the exception of Nintendo Directs which started in October of 2011 were within the past 7 years

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
The entire industry copies Nintendo. The entire industry only exists because of Nintendo.
I don't know if I would go that far but yes thanks to OOT and Mario 64 a lot of things we have in modern day gaming have come from those games.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
well are you saying SIE is more influential to current day developers than Nintendo or not? I'm not arguing SIE doesn't influence other game but if Nintendo has no influence on current day devs like some are claiming in this thread then SIE would have no influence as well. I think it is kinda a stretch to say Hogwarts was inspired by Spider-Man as they started making that game in 2017 before we would know how well it would sell and there was a giant leak of it in 2018 shortly after Spider-Man release I believe.
I would also argue that it wasn't Uncharted 4 that set the standard in the AAA space as that game didn't really influece anybody. It was Call of Duty MW the previous gen:

The last of us does have some influence on the RE Engine Resident Evi games tho. RE7 tried to be more grounded with the mold than the last 3 RE games before it and the weapon selection boxes in RE4 remake look very similar to TLOU 2's but that's about it.

The only things you could maybe say Sony influence Nintendo on are Mario Maker, Yarn Kirby and Yarn Yoshi look similar to LittleBigPlanet, and maybe the 2D Zelda games on switch kind look like 3D dot game heroes on PS3.

Everything else:
Climbing in BOTW (Horizon 2/Death Stranding.)
Nintendo Directs (This started in the late Wii era but everyone else have copied Nintendo's format.)
Splatoon (Foamstars.)
Mario 3D land/world (Sackboy inspired from it.)
Astro bot taking a lot of notes from Mario Galaxy
Genshin Impact copying BOTW's art style.
Palworld clearly being inspired by pokemon
heck the PS Portal even sort of seems like a Wii U Gamepad, Not that the Wii U gamepad was super innovative but it's weird to see something like this exist.

all those things with the exception of Nintendo Directs which started in October of 2011 were within the past 7 years

I didnt say anything about Nintendo.

I was responding to your suggestion that sony's games didn't impact releases, which just isn't true.

I think you'd have to be blind not to see Nintendo's influence.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I didnt say anything about Nintendo.

I was responding to your suggestion that sony's games didn't impact releases, which just isn't true.

I think you'd have to be blind not to see Nintendo's influence.
???
I didn't say Sony didn't have influence on the industry?
I said Nintendo has the most out of the big three?