Why was Sony so tight lipped about Bloodborne sales when it actually sold well? Why don't they care?

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
They're not going to do a sequel without Fromsoftware, and that studio is currently busy with a million other projects. The Souls community would be extremely pissed at Sony if they tried to do a sequel without Fromsoft and Miyazaki. As for why they didn't talk sales, no idea. Maybe they're waiting for a big milestone like 10 million or won't announce it until something like a remaster is ready.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They have no reason to announce sales numbers of all their games, only a few hardcore die hard fans like us care about them.

In their context, having over half a dozen of their AAA games getting over 20M sales, one of them achieving 7.5M isn't something worth to brag about. For their scale this is only a successful niche AAA title.

They didn't close Japan Studio. They restructured and rebranded it, merging its internal development teams. They also branched off their XDEV 2nd party publishing team to have their own office where they'd be able to grow and work in way more games at the same time than before.

Sony owns the Bloodborne brand, so if desired they can make a remaster, remake or sequel without FromSoft, as they did with Demon's Souls (brand also owned by Sony).

I think that the reason of not giving a PS5 version or remaster of Bloodborne is because they may consider that only games that reach a certain sales level (higher than the 8M Bloodborne ones) are worth to get a remaster.

Or that maybe they have been waiting for FromSoft to be free from previously agreed projects like Elden Ring and AC6 to be ready to work for them again. Or maybe they are waiting because plan to release in the future relatively close to each other a remaster+pc port+PS5 only sequel+tv show/movie/anime adaptation, and since the sequel and adaptation may need time then they are holding back the remaster and port.
It's not about reason or not, it's something they would always do.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
When the producer of the game said it sold just as well as Ghost of Tsushima people called him crazy and said he was counting total players not sales

Im nor surprised he was angry about DG2 being cancelled. Sure the first game had a lot of issues, but they could really have been fixed in the sequel.

I dont know what Sony upper management is thinking

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Im nor surprised he was angry about DG2 being cancelled. Sure the first game had a lot of issues, but they could really have been fixed in the sequel.

Days Gone 2 pitch was denied before it even reached Sony management. Bend's management rejected that pitch. Overall was lower quality compared to what Sony's other studios do. Here's hoping their new IP is better.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I always took silence on sales numbers as it simply not being revealed. To assume the numbers are bad just because there’s no formal announcement never made sense to me.

Jivesh1995

20 Jun 2023
South Africa
brotaku.net

There's only one reason why we're not getting a sequel and it has nothing to do with quality

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The game sold 7 million which is great for a brand new IP, From soft since then has only gotten even more popular.

The game has a very loyal fan base who are crying out got a patch or a ps5 remaster.

Yet Sony continues to ignore the fans.

We even had a fan demake and a karting spin off made by fans, the fans are super passionate.

Instead if capitalising on all this Sony just ignores it and pretends tbis game doesnt even exist.

I really don't understand Sony leadership

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Rumors surfacing that Sony will release Bloodborne Remake as a PS6 launch title
GFrKvEUX0AAFOdM

GFrKvETWgAAxkWA

GFrKvERWMAAq78K

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Miyazaki said he doesn't see the point of releasing it now because it would look almost the same. He prefers to do like in Demon's Souls: to have a couple generations between the original and a remake to see great improvements.

They also have been busy with other projects that pretty likely had signed a lot of time ago and that they also want to do, like Sekiro, Elden Ring or Armored Core VI.

Sony is also starting to work in a movie adaptation, so it will take a while. That sounds like at the start of the PS6 generarion, around late 2027 or early 2028, they could have a Bloodborne remake and the movie. And pretty likely a sequel too.

The obvius choice to make this remaster would be Bluepoint. Miyazaki praised their work in Demon's Souls, but after Demon's Souls the Bluepoint boss said when signed with Sony that they weren't going to work in more remasters and remakes and wanted to evolve to work instead into original content.

They didn't have a big enough team to handle a AAA game leaded by them, only had a couple designers, so their first "original content" was to codevelop God of War Ragnarok as support team. They grew since then, but still don't have enough designers to make their own game, so pretty likely they are working again as a support team in another new Sony game.

Maybe again with SSM, maybe they are working with FromSoft in Bloodborne 2, or maybe they are working with someone else like Naughty Dog, Bend or Insomniac. Who knows, we don't have any info about their new project other than now they no longer work in remasters or remakes but in 'original content' instead.

Meanwhile, Sony has been working in many other successful IPs they have, most of them more popular than Bloodbone, like GoW, TLOU, Gran Turismo, Spider-Man or Horizon, plus new IP from top devs and sequel from other successful games that maybe weren't as big as Bloodborne like Death Stranding or Helldivers.

Rumors surfacing that Sony will release Bloodborne Remake as a PS6 launch title
GFrKvEUX0AAFOdM

GFrKvETWgAAxkWA

GFrKvERWMAAq78K
These aren't rumors, It's just fan guessing like the one I did above based on Miyazaki words I said above. With the difference that this random forum poster doesn't know that Bluepoint moved away from remasters and remakes after Demon's Souls. Bluepoint never has been involved in any Bloodborne remake or remaster.

Last edited: