Will 2024 be the first year PS Studios don't release a new single player game?

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I dont think they will do that because I think its also a PS5 game. Maybe a bundle
That's what I mean, a bundle of sorts. Would it make sense to just port the headset to PC with nothing? Not in my mind, they're trying to move units, something has to be attached to it at least in my mind.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That's what I mean, a bundle of sorts. Would it make sense to just port the headset to PC with nothing? Not in my mind, they're trying to move units, something has to be attached to it at least in my mind.
Moving it to PC just moves sales numbers up a bit. They will make no money selling games from it unless they are opening there own store on PC. Its kinda pointless in alot of ways.
Maybe its not even a PSVR2 game and just a PS5 game like some rumour suggested

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Shame because having more games under the umbrella equals more profits. That or sell more consoles to sell more games.
If they had bought FromSoft or another studio or publisher who is selling good games they would make more profit
Agree, Sony should’ve already consolidated itself when MS bought Zenimax & even more when they bought ABK.

Sony keep being incompetent like there harmful PC port strategy & releasing 1 major game per year & Tencent might end up buying Kadakawa & the Saudis end up buying Capcom, Arc System Work or somehow Square Enix gets purchased by any of them or MS I’ll be laughing & selling my PS & never buying a PS console for Sony laughable incompetency

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
What if Astrobot is not only a sale item, but a code pack in to activate for your PSVR2 regardless of platform as a carrot for headset sales...
I think PS making PSVR2 compatible w PC is smart & something that should’ve been from the start but if you want to play the PSVR2 exclusive games you’d need to buy a PS console to get access to it in the PS storefront behind a wall garden I wouldn’t even make it available on a PS PC storefront since that allow PS users to interact w Steam that’s a direct competitor to PS. Atleast if I was running PS that’s what I would do to make PSVR2 have some sort of true exclusive other wise Quest users would wait for the PSVR2 games to be ported to PC & buy it on Steam same shit happening w PS now that they port games to PC

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
If you count remakes ot pretty much a sure thing they will have one this year.
2018 was SOTC
2019 Medievil
2020 Demons Souls
2022 TLOU Part 1
2024 most likely will have one.
But if you dont, I cam see Bend's game shipping this year and maybe that weird uncharted 5 looking game we saw from the live from PS5 ads from last year unless that is Sony Bends new game.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
2018 was SOTC
2019 Medievil
2020 Demons Souls
2022 TLOU Part 1
But if you dont, I cam see Bend's game shipping this year and maybe that weird uncharted 5 looking game we saw from the live from PS5 ads from last year unless that is Sony Bends new game.
Don't worry, they'll find a new goalpost.

Helldivers 2, a smash hit and possibly the biggest multiplayer game of the year? Doesn't count, it's not single player only.
Plenty of high quality PS5 FULL exclusives (FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc.)? Doesn't count, because not "first party".
2020 GOTY remaster (The Last of Us Part 2) with new content? Doesn't count, it's a remaster.

People will find ways to be disappointed, no matter what happens.

Let them suffer.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
"If new games are taking so long to make, how should Sony handle this?"

A: Go Private.

Doing wonders for Valve.

Shareholders have unrealistic expectations for growth and are more baggage than they're worth.
While that would be good, realistically can they do that after being public for so long.
Plus they still need to make more games lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
2018 was SOTC
2019 Medievil
2020 Demons Souls
2022 TLOU Part 1

Remakes are fine, but they always came with new games.
And TLOU2 is a remaster, Until dawn.. I dont even know, remaking a game from 2015 is just lol.

2018 - They also released GOW 2018 and Astrobot
2019 - Days Gone
2020- TLOU2, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushiima, Spiderman MM.
2021 - Ratchet and Clank, Returnal
2022- GOW R, Horizon 2, GT7.
2023- Spiderman 2

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Helldivers 2, a smash hit and possibly the biggest multiplayer game of the year? Doesn't count, it's not single player only.
Plenty of high quality PS5 FULL exclusives (FF7 Rebirth, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, etc.)? Doesn't count, because not "first party".
2020 GOTY remaster (The Last of Us Part 2) with new content? Doesn't count, it's a remaster.

Let them suffer.
What goal posts? That its the first year Playstation studios don't have a new single player game?

2018-2023 all had new single player games ontop of remakes etc on that list.
Same as 2006 onwards lol. So there are no goalposts.

Why would Helldivers count? Its a multiplayer game and its not made by Playstation Studios….
Final Fantasy is made by Square…
TLOU2 isnt a new game…. I love TLOU2 and liked Until Dawn, but they are not new games to be excited over.

Theres no goal posts being moved.

I specifically asked new PS studios, not exclusives. Its a legit question. Because its the first time its happening since at last like ever or at least 2004? 20 Years.

Its not about not counting, its about asking for new single player games from PS studios.

No what lol? No they are gonna release a new single player game? I hope Astrobot comes or something else.
Atm its a legit question. I hope it changes

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Remakes are fine, but they always came with new games.
And TLOU2 is a remaster, Until dawn.. I dont even know, remaking a game from 2015 is just lol.

2018 - They also released GOW 2018 and Astrobot
2019 - Days Gone
2020- TLOU2, Dreams, Ghost of Tsushiima, Spiderman MM.
2021 - Ratchet and Clank, Returnal
2022- GOW R, Horizon 2, GT7.
2023- Spiderman 2
I forgot about the until dawn remake. But honestly I mostly hope for a new astro game on psvr2 and a new killzone

• fire
Reactions: Kokoloko

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Let them suffer.
The thread title specifically states PS Studios, meaning 1st party studios only. Not 2nd or 3rd.

Every time it's the same. People specifically state 1st party and someone comes along claiming that Sony has exclusive games. That's not the issue. The issue is not having any 1st party games, developed in-house. Most Sony studios haven't even announced anything in 3-4 years.

It's not normal for Sony.

P.S.

If we really have to include remasters, you know the situation is dire. That's some xbox level excuse.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As the title says. Will Playstation Studios release a new single player game this year?
Yes, in fact PS Studios already released multiple games this year that can be played in single player. And has more announced.

PS Studios already released this year:
  • TLOU Part 2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Horizon Forbidden West (PC port)
  • Rise of the Ronin
And has announced to release this year:
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (PC port)
  • Stellar Blade
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Convallaria
  • Until Dawn remake
  • Concord
Why has Sony given the funds for only Insomniac to work on multiple projects at once?
This isn't true. We know Bungie, ND, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Firesprite, Team Asobi, Nixxes and XDEV work in multiple games at the same time.

Or do you think Sony has a secret game coming out this year?
Sony has a dozen first party releases announced for this year. But yes, they could have more unannounced releases for 2024 or 2025. I'd say possible candidates are:
  • Horizon Online
  • Sony Santa Monica new IP
  • Firesprite game
  • Team Asobi next game
  • Unannounced PS5 2nd party stuff (the "goo game"?)
  • Unannounced PSVR 2nd party stuff
In addition to this, very likely the next late port releases for PC are going to be (I assume to be released this or next year):
  • Until Dawn remake
  • TLOU2 Remaster
  • Demon's Souls
  • GoW Ragnarok

-Buy more studios?

-Buy a Publisher?
Due to increase of component costs and shipping costs hardware is hurting Sony's profitability more than expected. They have to reduce their costs, not to increase them.

There are still costs of the different recent acquisitions (Firesprite, Bluepoint, Valkyrie, Housemarque, Bungie, Haven, Firewalk, EVO, Repeat.gg, Audeze, iSIZE...) still being paid during this and next year, so they are also temporally hurting their profitability.

So they may want to wait a year or two to complete paying these costs before continuing with meaningful acquisitions. In addition to this, late next year or early 2026 Sony will complete selling their banks division, which will give them a lot of cash they plan to use for acquisitions in their entertainment divisions.

I'd say it's likely that Sony will resume the acquisitions in 2026, not now.

-Create more studios (this hasnt gone well recently)
As far as we know SIE creaated several new teams inside many of their SIE gamedev studios.

One of them, or maybe a bran new L.A. studio, is being lead by foremr Deviation members.

-Create more in house AA games?
Housemarque, Firesprite, Team Asobi or Media Molecule may be working in AA-ish games. XDEV is working on Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Until Dawn remake and may have more unannounced ones.

The excuse of 3rd party games and 1st/3rd party exclusives will cover the PS5 is not a good enough reason.
It isn't an excuse, the PS5 catalog is a mixture of 1P+2P+3P exclusives and multiplatform games.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes, in fact PS Studios already released multiple games this year that can be played in single player. And has more announced.

PS Studios already released this year:
  • TLOU Part 2 Remastered
  • Helldivers 2
  • MLB The Show 24
  • Horizon Forbidden West (PC port)
  • Rise of the Ronin
TLOU2 Remaster -Not new
Helldivers 2 - Not PS studio
MLB is an annual Multiplatform sports game
Horizon 2 - Not new and a PC port.
Rise of Ronin - Team Ninja

And has announced to release this year:
  • Lost Soul Aside
  • Ghost of Tsushima Directors Cut (PC port)
  • Stellar Blade
  • Destiny 2 The Final Shape
  • Convallaria
  • Until Dawn remake
  • Concord

No1 cares about PC ports and they arent new. Concord if it has a single player mode would be interesting. And by single player I dont mean have deathmatches with bots.

This isn't true. We know Bungie, ND, Santa Monica, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Firesprite, Team Asobi, Nixxes and XDEV work in multiple games at the same time.
If they had multiple teams they would of released something again by now. If they have multiple teams, its a start but they havent got had them for long like Insomniac.

Santa Monica 1 AAA game 6 years.
Guerrilla 1 AAA Game since 2016 and DLC
Polyphony… see you when GT8 is released
Team Asobi havent released a game since 2020 and that was a small game
Nixxies, waste of resources making PC ports, nothing new.

None have multiple teams like Insomniac

Sony has a dozen first party releases announced for this year. But yes, they could have more unannounced releases for 2024 or 2025. I'd say possible candidates are:
  • Horizon Online
  • Sony Santa Monica new IP
  • Firesprite game
  • Team Asobi next game
  • Unannounced PS5 2nd party stuff (the "goo game"?)
  • Unannounced PSVR 2nd party stuff

Im just talking 2024, its bleak when it comes to single player games made by PS studios.
Lets hope we get a single player game. Doubt Santa Monica have anything soon as Cory its early. Ill be happy with Astrobot 2024

In addition to this, very likely the next late port releases for PC are going to be (I assume to be released this or next year):
  • Until Dawn remake
  • TLOU2 Remaster
  • Demon's Souls
  • GoW Ragnarok
Why would I care about PC ports. I played all these years ago. These arent new games.
Truth is, its the first time in 20 years Sony’s Playstation Studio isn’t releasing a new single player game in a year, unless they announce something new

Due to increase of component costs and shipping costs hardware is hurting Sony's profitability more than expected. They have to reduce their costs, not to increase them.

There are still costs of the different recent acquisitions (Firesprite, Bluepoint, Valkyrie, Housemarque, Bungie, Haven, Firewalk, EVO, Repeat.gg, Audeze, iSIZE...) still being paid during this and next year, so they are also temporally hurting their profitability.

So they may want to wait a year or two to complete paying these costs before continuing with meaningful acquisitions. In addition to this, late next year or early 2026 Sony will complete selling their banks division, which will give them a lot of cash they plan to use for acquisitions in their entertainment divisions.

I'd say it's likely that Sony will resume the acquisitions in 2026, not now.

As far as we know SIE creaated several new teams inside many of their SIE gamedev studios.

One of them, or maybe a bran new L.A. studio, is being lead by foremr Deviation members.

Housemarque, Firesprite, Team Asobi or Media Molecule may be working in AA-ish games. XDEV is working on Stellar Blade, Convallaria, Lost Soul Aside, Until Dawn remake and may have more unannounced ones.

It isn't an excuse, the PS5 catalog is a mixture of 1P+2P+3P exclusives and multiplatform games.
Lets hope the resume Acquistions sooner, so we dont have to wait decade to see those games.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's not normal for Sony.

P.S.

If we really have to include remasters, you know the situation is dire. That's some xbox level excuse.

Exactly, people are defending no new PS Studio single player games like Xbots now days. “Gears of War is having an update…. Sea of Thieves has DLC” “Halo is coming to PC” lol.

Its the first time in 20 years yet people defend the management.
Unless we get a new announcement for later this year, fingers crossed we do, but its just stupid marketing

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel and Umar
OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I forgot about the until dawn remake. But honestly I mostly hope for a new astro game on psvr2 and a new killzone
I hope we get something new like Astrobot.
A new KillZone would be amazing and a remake of KZ2 for PSVR2 and PS5.
Last gen Guerrilla released Rigs, so I wonder what happened to them

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
TLOU2 Remaster -Not new
Helldivers 2 - Not PS studio
MLB is an annual Multiplatform sports game
Horizon 2 - Not new and a PC port.
Rise of Ronin - Team Ninja
All are PS Studios published 2024 releases that can be played single player.

Helldivers 2 and Rise of the Ronin are PS Studios games. They have a nice PS Studios logo at the start of the game:

No1 cares about PC ports and they arent new.
You may not care, but some PC players may care. For some of them they are new because couldn't play them before.

Some PS players that maybe already had them may be interested on them to play them on their laptop or handheld PC, or in the PC they have in other place different than where they have the console, or because are interested in some stuff like ultrawide screen.

If they had multiple teams they would of released something again by now.
No, because AAA games now need 5-9 years to be made and these studios grew enough to be able to work in more than one game more recently, mostly during the Jim Ryan + Hermen Hulst era (starting in H2 2019). So in most cases they didn't have enough time to release new games with these 2nd teams.

If they have multiple teams, its a start but they havent got had them for long like Insomniac.

Santa Monica 1 AAA game 6 years.
Doubt Santa Monica have anything soon as Cory its early.
SSM released GoW 2018, GoWR in 2022 (4 years later), GoWR Valhalla in 2023. They also overviewed and supported the GoW 2018 PC port.

Cory started to work on the pitch of his new IP in summer 2018. Doing the needed preproduction work, prototypes, pitches and approval process, if lucky and greenlighted then it would have started maybe early 2019 if they already had a big enough 2nd team to start its production.

Nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years. Let's ignore new IPs take more time, covid delay, the typical random gamedev delays, the challenges of starting a new 2nd team and choose the shorter one in the 5-9 range: 5 years. That would mean that if the Cory new IP is under development it would have minimum an early 2025 release being very optimistic, but being more realistic, probably will be a 2026 or 2027 release. But we could see it announced or at least teased in 2024.

They are also overviewing and supporting the tv show adaptation of GoW, maybe the same ones who supported the exernally developed PC ports.

Guerrilla 1 AAA Game since 2016 and DLC
Guerrilla's main Horizon team released:
  • HZD: early 2017
  • HZD Frozen Wilds DLC: late 2017
  • HFW: 2022
  • HFW Forbidden Shores DLC: 2023
  • They are working now in Horizon 3
Another team worked to codevelop with Firesprite:
  • Horizon CoM: 2023
In 2018 they hired back the Killzone 2 MP director, who was working as Rainbow Six Siege director, to lead another team who would work in:
  • Horizon Online: TBA, pretty likely somewhere in the 2025-2027 range.
Apparently NC Soft is doing a mobile + PC focused, maybe Asia focused, Horizon themed MMORPG. Someone from Guerrilla may be overviewing it and maybe codeveloping it. May or may not be the same Horizon Online game mentioned above.

There's a Netflix adaptation of Horizon in the works, they may also have someone overviewing or supporting it, maybe the same people who overviewed the externally developed PC ports.

Polyphony… see you when GT8 is released
Polyphony has 4 studios split between Japan, USA and Netherlands.

They had a team developing GT Sport content while other one was working in GT7. After the GT7 release they had 3 teams:
  • GT7 post launch content
  • GT7VR adaptation
  • Development of their next game (pretty likely GT8)
Team Asobi havent released a game since 2020 and that was a small game
Ill be happy with Astrobot 2024

Their boss said they are working now in a bigger action game than the Astro games, in addition to multiple prototypes and experiments with current and future hardware that may end becoming part of their future games. With the restructuring they moved theirr 2nd party team to a separate office and changed their management, so they are a relatievely small team (they already were). Tean Asobi hopes to grow to 100 people.

I think we could see their next game being announced this year, but I think it's more likely to see it released next year.

Nixxies, waste of resources making PC ports, nothing new.
They are probably the best studio in the world in what they do. They are very likely the most profitable SIE studio.

None have multiple teams like Insomniac
This is wrong as I shown above. ND also has multiple teams:
  • Months after shipping TLOU2 their SP team started to work in another SP game, pretty likely in early 2021 (no TLOU 3)
  • A new SP team started a SP game in H1 2023 (not TLOU3)
  • Their MP team started to work in TLOU Online, which got cancelled. A good chunk of this people will be moved to their other two SP games or may have started a 3rd SP game (I assume TLOU3)
  • Some small team overviewed and supported Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, TLOUP1 remake, TLOUP2 remaster and their PC ports, plus the movies and tv show adaptations

Im just talking 2024, its bleak when it comes to single player games made by PS studios.Lets hope we get a single player game.
As I mentioned Sony will have in 2024 minimum a dozen releases, most of them playable in single player.

Why would I care about PC ports. I played all these years ago. These arent new games.
I didn't say you should care. I say they exist and are Sony single player releases even if you don't like them or aren't intterested on them.

Truth is, its the first time in 20 years Sony’s Playstation Studio isn’t releasing a new single player game in a year, unless they announce something new
This isn't true, as I mentioned this is wrong. You not liking something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Your personal taste or interests don't define what exists or doesn't exist.

Lets hope the resume Acquistions sooner, so we dont have to wait decade to see those games.
They are still paying costs related to recent acquisitions and have to improve profitability, so very likely -as they said last year- won't make acquisitions in the short term. Because they need to improve profitability in the short term, not to damage it even more.

But even if they make acquisittions -let's say Arrowhead- they'd still need time to develop their next games, like any other team. In the case of Arrowhead, very likely they'll be focused on fixing, improving and expanding Helldivers 2 with post launch content during a few years before starting to work in their next game, something they'd do while at the same time they continue supporting Helldivers 2.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Ezekiel