Will 2024 be the first year PS Studios don't release a new single player game?

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
All are PS Studios published 2024 releases that can be played single player.

Helldivers 2 and Rise of the Ronin are PS Studios games. They have a nice PS Studios logo at the start of the game:

You may not care, but some PC players may care. For some of them they are new because couldn't play them before.

Some PS players that maybe already had them may be interested on them to play them on their laptop or handheld PC, or in the PC they have in other place different than where they have the console, or because are interested in some stuff like ultrawide screen.

No, because AAA games now need 5-9 years to be made and these studios grew enough to be able to work in more than one game more recently, mostly during the Jim Ryan + Hermen Hulst era (starting in H2 2019). So in most cases they didn't have enough time to release new games with these 2nd teams.

SSM released GoW 2018, GoWR in 2022 (4 years later), GoWR Valhalla in 2023. They also overviewed and supported the GoW 2018 PC port.

Cory started to work on the pitch of his new IP in summer 2018. Doing the needed preproduction work, prototypes, pitches and approval process, if lucky and greenlighted then it would have started maybe early 2019 if they already have a big enough 2nd team to start its production.

Nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years. Let's ignore new IPs take more time, covid delays, the challenges of starting a new 2nd team and choose the shorter one in the 5-9 range: 5 years. That would mean that if the Cory new IP is under development it would have an early 2025 release being very optimistic, but being more realistic, probably will be a 2026 or 2027 release. But we could see it announced or at least teased in 2024.

They are also overviewing and supporting the tv show adaptation of GoW, maybe the same ones who supported the exernally developed PC ports.

Guerrilla's main Horizon team released:
  • HZD: early 2017
  • HZD Frozen Wilds DLC: late 2017
  • HFW: 2022
  • HFW Forbidden Shores DLC: 2023
  • They are working now in Horizon 3
Another team worked to codevelop with Firesprite:
  • Horizon CoM: 2023
In 2018 they hired back the Killzone 2 MP director, who was working as Rainbow Six Siege director, to lead another team who would work in:
  • Horizon Online
Apparently NC Soft is doing a mobile + PC focused, maybe Asia focused, Horizon themed MMORPG. Someone from Guerrilla may be overviewing it and maybe codeveloping it. May or may not be the same Horizon Online game mentioned above.

There's a Netflix adaptation of Horizon in the works, they may also have someone overviewing or supporting it, maybe the same people who overviewed the externally developed PC ports.

Polyphony has 4 studios split between Japan, USA and Netherlands.

They had a team developing GT Sport content while other one was working in GT7. After the GT7 release they had 3 teams:
  • GT7 post launch content
  • GT7VR adaptation
  • Development of their nex game (make sure it's GT8)

Their boss said they are working now in a bigger action game than the Astro games, in addition to multiple prototypes and experiments with current and future hardware that may end becoming part of their future games. With the restructuring they moved theirr 2nd party team to a separate office and changed their management, so they are a relatievely small team (they already were). Tean Asobi hopes to grow to 100 people.

I think we could see their next game being announced this year, but I think it's more likely to see it released next year.

They are probably the best studio in the world in what they do. They are very likely the most profitable SIE studio.

This is wrong as I shown above. ND also has multiple teams:
  • Months after shipping TLOU2 their SP team started to work in another SP game, pretty likely in early 2021 (no TLOU 3)
  • A new SP team started a SP game in H1 2023 (not TLOU3)
  • Their MP team started to work in TLOU Online, which got cancelled. A good chunk of this people will be moved to their other two SP games or may have started a 3rd SP game (I assume TLOU3)
  • Some small team overviewed and supported Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, TLOUP1 remake, TLOUP2 remaster and their PC ports, plus the movies and tv show adaptations

As I mentioned Sony will have in 2024 minimum a dozen releases, most of them playable in single player.

I didn't say you should care. I say they exist and are Sony single player releases even if you don't like them or aren't intterested on them.

This isn't true, as I mentioned this is wrong. You not liking something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Your personal taste or interests don't define what exists or doesn't exist.

They are still paying costs related to recent acquisitions and have to improve profitability, so very likely -as they said last year- won't make acquisitions in the short term. Because they need to improve profitability in the short term, not to damage it even more.

But even if they make acquisittions -let's say Arrowhead- they'd still need time to develop their next games, like any other team. In the case of Arrowhead, very likely they'll be focused on fixing, improving and expanding Helldivers 2 with post launch content during a few years before starting to work in their next game, something they'd do while at the same time they continue supporting Helldivers 2.
The thead is about new single player games from PS studios so things like Pc ports, Helldivers 2 and remasters arent in the discussion.

Its a first for the company in 20 years, lets hope they have something up there sleeves for 2024.

Lets hope there other teams start working like Insomniac and releasing games like Insomniac. Cant say the GOW ragnarok addition was like Spiderm MM or Ratcher and Clank

• haha
Reactions: Ezekiel

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The thead is about new single player games from PS studios so things like Pc ports, Helldivers 2 and remasters arent in the discussion.

Its a first for the company in 20 years, lets hope they have something up there sleeves for 2024.

Lets hope there other teams start working like Insomniac and releasing games like Insomniac. Cant say the GOW ragnarok addition was like Spiderm MM or Ratcher and Clank
As I mentioned before, PS Studios already released 2024 games with single player and have more announced. Not only ports or remasters.

As I menioned before, Helldivers 2 is a PS Studios game and even posted its PS Studios intro animation.

As I mentioned before, there are multiple studios from PS Studios working on multiple games at the same time.

You not liking something or not being interested in something doesn't mean that this don't exist or that it is what it is. It just means you are not interested on it.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
This gen has been a huge letdown when it comes to internal PlayStation studios, all we got was crossgens and remakes.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No because concord is releasing and ps studios is publishing Stella blade and they released helldivers2 and an Astrobot is rumor to drop this yr . We also have until dawn remake and the gravity rush 2 remaster but those aren’t new 🤷🏽‍♂️. By the end of the yr ps will have published more games in 2024 than 2023.
Concord is a multiplayer game. PS studios won't release games this year, they will have published them. There's a difference between those concepts.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Doubt Concord is making it out this year. Death stranding 2 missing the year is the big ooofff IMO.

Hopefully the third party deals and exclusives they sign produce more success than failure.

Granblue was a winner

Helldivers saved the year for them itself.

I’m a bit more suspect on Ronin and Stellar Blade being successful. I don’t think Ronin will be but Stellar Blade seems to have some decent store hype, presence and pre-order tracking but that could just be the hype campaign trying its best.

Third party bangers is what PlayStation does best historically. And third party multiplats… we have some mega huge releases this year… Dragon’s dogma, Monster Hunter, Final Shape and Elden Ring.

If all you do is rely on exclusives. Sorry you choose to enjoy games this way. Tribalism and list wars shit is pathetic.

Now if the concern is Sony’s business… no worries. As they sold down VR production and increase pc ports… they’ll still make money ☺️

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Doubt Concord is making it out this year.
I can totally see a gameplay reveal in their May/June conference and it being their major 1st party fall release.

2025 is going to be too busy with Marathon, Death Stranding 2, GTA6, and maybe some of these ones: Cory's new IP, Team Asobi's next game, Horizon Online, Venom (not clear if it's going to be 2025 or 2027 title, I bet 2027), Firesprite next game, XDEV's ooze game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I can totally see a gameplay reveal in their May/June conference and it being their major 1st party fall release.

Agree on us seeing gameplay teaser next major showcase. Just don’t see hit hitting till 2025 if not the year after. Unless it’s actually a smaller game… then … lol we could have a shadow drop any day now. We don’t know much do we?

They don’t need it. And if there’s any sense to em they’ll use helldivers success to release pressure on games in development and just ride it all year.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Agree on us seeing gameplay teaser next major showcase. Just don’t see hit hitting till 2025 if not the year after. Unless it’s actually a smaller game… then … lol we could have a shadow drop any day now. We don’t know much do we?

They don’t need it. And if there’s any sense to em they’ll use helldivers success to release pressure on games in development and just ride it all year.
We know it's being developed by a team that basically has 4 groups of people:
  • Former Bungie devs who mostly worked in their Halo games and Destiny 1
  • Former Activiosion devs, many of them who worked in CoD titles but also other top tier games
  • People who worked in basically any other top tier shooter you can think of: Apex Legends, Fortnite, Bioshock, Rainbow Six, Far Cry etc
  • People who worked in top tier AAA games frorm other genres, like people from ND, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Blizzaard and similar
We also know the game was already playable and very fun a couple yeaars ago, to the point Sony decided to acquire them before releasing their first title. So it must be good and should be ready to be shipped soon.

We also know it's a PvP FPS set in the space featuring "colorful characters" and that will be released in 2024 on PS5 and PC.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
As I mentioned before, PS Studios already released 2024 games with single player and have more announced. Not only ports or remasters.

As I menioned before, Helldivers 2 is a PS Studios game and even posted its PS Studios intro animation.

As I mentioned before, there are multiple studios from PS Studios working on multiple games at the same time.

You not liking something or not being interested in something doesn't mean that this don't exist or that it is what it is. It just means you are not interested on it.

Helldivers team is not part of the of the PS studios family. They flash that for alot of games they publish. They have not purchased Arrowhead yet. Fingers crossed they do buy them.

No Arrowhead.

They have no exclusive new single player games from those studios this year.

A first in 20 years, they have always done so in the last 20 years. Its not about me liking it or not, its true.

No New exclusive single player games, from the studios on that website lol.

Not yet, lets hope they have something up there sleeve for later on

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

That will be great
2025 is going to be too busy with Marathon, Death Stranding 2, GTA6, and maybe some of these ones: Cory's new IP, Team Asobi's next game, Horizon Online, Venom (not clear if it's going to be 2025 or 2027 title, I bet 2027), Firesprite next game, XDEV's ooze game.
2025/2026 should be a very busy year. Alot of the studios havent released games since last gen. Sucker Punch, Bend, Media Molecule, ND and the supposed new teams.

Plus Im hoping there will be some more 3rd party exclusives now that Persona 6 will probably be going everywhere. Maybe a Miyazaki Game

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's absurd that we are halfway trough this gen and so many studios haven't even shown anything new.
They really have to show some stuff in the summer. As in a few titles. Its only good for marketing and selling the console so people know what is on the way.

Its fine for publishers to surprise everyone with a short release, but a platform holder like PS needs to show fans and people there is stuff on the way.

Something like the 2014/15/16 e3 shows

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
We know it's being developed by a team that basically has 4 groups of people:
  • Former Bungie devs who mostly worked in their Halo games and Destiny 1
  • Former Activiosion devs, many of them who worked in CoD titles but also other top tier games
  • People who worked in basically any other top tier shooter you can think of: Apex Legends, Fortnite, Bioshock, Rainbow Six, Far Cry etc
  • People who worked in top tier AAA games frorm other genres, like people from ND, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Blizzaard and similar
We also know the game was already playable and very fun a couple yeaars ago, to the point Sony decided to acquire them before releasing their first title. So it must be good and should be ready to be shipped soon.

We also know it's a PvP FPS set in the space featuring "colorful characters" and that will be released in 2024 on PS5 and PC.

I like how you continue to spread lil lies … saying halo or destiny 1, when the high points of Hamrick’s Career is Destiny 2 and Fallout 4.

Josh Hamrick was a huge part of resurrecting D2 after its fail of a launch. He’s responsible for speeding up the game, reworking sandbox from dual primary and kinda saving the game altogether from a gameplay angle. He’s the guy that was contracted from Bungie to try and make gunplay work on Bethesda’s shit engine for Fallout 4.

He’s legit. And I expect his PvP game to be an absolute banger

But okay…. I see your pr tactics 👀

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Helldivers team is not part of the of the PS studios family. They flash that for alot of games they publish. They have not purchased Arrowhead yet. Fingers crossed they do buy them.

No Arrowhead.

Even if Sony doesn't own Arrowhead, Helldivers 2 is a PS Studios game:
  • Helldivers 2 is a game published by the publisher PS Studios
  • PS Studios funded it
  • PS Studios owns its IP
  • As can be seen in its game credits there are many SIE and PS Studios teams who worked on it, like 6 times the amount of people who works at Arrowhead

They have no exclusive new single player games from those studios this year.

A first in 20 years, they have always done so in the last 20 years. Its not about me liking it or not, its true.

No New exclusive single player games, from the studios on that website lol.

Not yet, lets hope they have something up there sleeve for later on
I wonder what happens with people like you who keep denying the reality even after putting facts in your face.

And btw, the whole Helldivers 2 game can be played in single player. But it's more fun and easier in coop.

I like how you continue to spread lil lies … saying halo or destiny 1, when the high points of Hamrick’s Career is Destiny 2 and Fallout 4.

But okay…. I see your pr tactics 👀
I didn't lie at all.

In think we already have enough with Kokoloko rejecting reality in this thread, no need to add another gaming flatearter to the mix. There's enough with one people rejecting the facts and receipts shown.

If you read properly my posts you'll see I'm talking about their employees, not only about this single specific guy only. Obviously there are ex-Bungie employees who also worked in Destiny 2.

I said that after -over time multiple times- having went to their LinkedIn page to read where all their senior, lead, expert, managers, producers, directors and executives worked before. You can go there and double check it.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
With this potential reality and how passionate many of you are for PlayStation how would you react to this scenario.

Horizon Forbidden West PC (Released)
Ghost of Tsushima PC (May)
The Last of Us: Part II PC (Rumored 'soonish')
God of War: Ragnarok PC (Rumored late 2024/ Early 2025)
PlayStation VR2 PC (2024 confirmed)

If this ends up being their end all be all 2024 from them directly and nothing else what is the reaction?

Already decided to not buy any of their 1st party games day-1 anymore. Because of PC releases, their games are releasing buggy or with missing features, so there is no point to pay full-price if they aren't offering the same top quality I've been used to.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I believe XDev does a good amount of work on third party SIE published games. Their recent work anxiously being Rise of the Ronin. But they work on Stellar Blade, and probably Until Dawn remake.

And XDev is a Sony studio, I don't know if they have a physical work place or if they're a team that works across other studios though.

By big studios, if you mean Bend, Sucker Punch, or Bluepoint, you might be correct.

I don't expect Santamonica, Insomniac, Guerilla, or Naughty Dog to release a game this year at all, because they just released a game, and Naughty Dog just cancelled factions.

OP
OP
Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
  • PS Studios funded it
  • PS Studios owns its IP
  • As can be seen in its game credits there are many SIE and PS Studios teams who worked on it, like 6 times the amount of people who works at Arrowhead

I wonder what happens with people like you who keep denying the reality even after putting facts in your face.

And btw, the whole Helldivers 2 game can be played in single player. But it's more fun and easier in coop.

There is nothing to deny, they are not a PS studio. Next your gonna tell me Sea of Thieves is a PS studio game because it has Playstation team studio members assisting to bring it to PS5 lol.

Asobi
Bend
Bluepoint
Firesprite
Firewalk
Guerrilla
Haven
HouseMarque
Insomniac
Media Molecule
Naughty Dog
Neon Koi
Nixxes…
Polyphony
San Diego Studios
Santa Monica
Sucker punch
Valyrie

Reply when you find one of those studios… Actual Playstation Studios releasing a new single player exclusive game this year. Not assisting, remasters, remakes, pc ports, Xbox ports or mobile games, helping chinese studios or whatever else

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
  • PS Studios funded it
  • PS Studios owns its IP

I didn't lie at all.

In think we already have enough with Kokoloko rejecting reality in this thread, no need to add another gaming flatearter to the mix. There's enough with one people rejecting the facts and receipts shown.

If you read properly my posts you'll see I'm talking about their employees, not only about this single specific guy only. Obviously there are ex-Bungie employees who also worked in Destiny 2.

I said that after -over time multiple times- having went to their LinkedIn page to read where all their senior, lead, expert, managers, producers, directors and executives worked before. You can go there and double check it.

You spread FUD. Who’s directing the game? Who are the actual leads on the project? Ryan Ellis and Josh Hamrick? What’s their resume? What are they BEST known for?

You’re playing advertising PR BS. “From the makers of Halo and Destiny 1” when their career highlights are Destiny 2.

Interestingly enough… both left Bungie on great terms. It wouldn’t be strange to see this game co-developed either.

Or are you still denying the Nvidia leak? That matter wasn’t cancelled. You call people flatearthers while being this forum’s best bullshit artist 😂

Last edited: