Will Sony's PC Push Hurt their Console Business in the Mid to Longterm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
We recently saw Sony venture into making game monitors and headphones for use with PC as well as PS5....

Plus over the last year or two Sony has started to publish their games on PC. Death Stranding was published under 505 Games but Days Gone, GOW and Horizon were published under the PlayStation PC intiative and on storefronts such as Steam.

With Steam offering much lower prices on both new and old games and PC hardware oming down in price, will this hurt PlayStation in the longterm?

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Nah, the only way they could hurt themselves is with day one releases. Otherwise they are just capitalizing on games that are no longer selling on it's primary platform and trying to find new audiences for them. In the long run it does not hurt the brand, it just expands it to new horizons.

But do you think they should hold some games back from PC completely?

Like BB or Demons Souls.... to keep reasons to buy a PS5 for that crowd, while still making money?

Reactions: Rea

Sharinghack

21 Jun 2022
Lisbon, Portugal
www.pushvfx.com

Like BB or Demons Souls.... to keep reasons to buy a PS5 for that crowd, while still making money?
I'm pretty sure there will be some full exclusives, but not because they think they wanna keep something for the crowd, but just because it wouldn't be financially viable to do so.

I still think PS5 only game are years off from the PC market, except maybe Returnal or Sackboy that didn't sell all that well.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It will but I reckon Sony are willing to accept it.

Sony knows most it's revenue comes from subscriptions and in the future GaaS games on Multiple Platforms. Tencent have shown the way.

Personally I don't any reason for Single player games on PC. They hurt Playstation console sales and sell like crap on PC. Not to forget piracy.

Sony should only release Online Multiplayer games for PC.

The only game of late that should have been released on PC was GT7.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I'm pretty sure there will be some full exclusives, but not because they think they wanna keep something for the crowd, but just because it wouldn't be financially viable to do so.

I still think PS5 only game are years off from the PC market, except maybe Returnal or Sackboy that didn't sell all that well.

Yep Returnal and games like Demons Souls are understandably being ported to PC. They aren't system sellers so don't PS hardware sales.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It will but I reckon Sony are willing to accept it.

Sony knows most it's revenue comes from subscriptions and in the future GaaS games on Multiple Platforms. Tencent have shown the way.

Personally I don't any reason for Single player games on PC. They hurt Playstation console sales and sell like crap on PC. Not to forget piracy.

Sony should only release Online Multiplayer games for PC.

The only game of late that should have been released on PC was GT7.

Agree broadly but I dunno about GT7.... since the series is so historic with PS.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Agree broadly but I dunno about GT7.... since the series is so historic with PS.

It's on its way to PC according to the Nvidia leaks.

This is the reality we need to accept.

GT7 makes more sense on the PC than all the single player games they are releasing since it is online only with live service elements.

Three

24 Jun 2022

If a player wanted to buy a PS for DS or bloodborne they would have by now. Contrary to popular belief people interested in something don't hang around for 7 years to buy a PS or for something to come to PC. Doesn't mean a PC player won't check a popular game out when it releases there though. Think of PS5 the same as Cinema. People go and watch the big releases there, the Blu-ray sales or Disney+ releases doesn't stop that. Day one releases might though.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
As long as they don't start with day 1 or very short times between the PC releases, I don't think it will. But it could backfire very quickly if they get too greedy.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Depends on their strategy.

The current strategy seems perfectly balanced and fine. This will help PS grow.

It'll hurt PS if they start releasing single-player games on PC day one.

Reactions: Muddasar

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If a player wanted to buy a PS for DS or bloodborne they would have by now. Contrary to popular belief people interested in something don't hang around for 7 years to buy a PS or for something to come to PC. Doesn't mean a PC player won't check a popular game out when it releases there though. Think of PS5 the same as Cinema. People go and watch the big releases there, the Blu-ray sales or Disney+ releases doesn't stop that. Day one releases might though.
That's the thing.

If someone did not buy a PS in the last 2-3 years and chose to ignore games like Spider-Man, TLOU, TLOU 2, Miles Morales, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne, etc. they will not buy a PS under any circumstance.

They aren't gonna come to Sony. If Sony wants to get some money from them, the only way is to go to them.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes.
Certain people will no longer need a playstation. Some will migrate and PS sales will go to Steam.
Not worth it for those medium sales

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I think so and it's a shame. As long as PS is their focus, it should be ok

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
I don’t think so. I love my PC and Playstation. I use both a lot and love both but I do prefer my playstation more

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
For me it doesn't matter, I prefer playing on PlayStation.

If PS releases go day 1 on PC, and cheaper
Angry Mad GIF by Pokémon

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I think it could, but releasing relatively old games, like they are doing now, is probably OK.

What worries me is the dynamic and incentive structure it creates for their studios. The games are no longer made to make the platform stand out, which may affect the way they approach in games services/DLC/what not.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Why is it about the PC gamer?

Why are we not questioning the PS gamers who could leave for cheaper games, open platform and all the games from Xbox, PS and PC together in one place?

That is the threat.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Why is it about the PC gamer?

Why are we not questioning the PS gamers who could leave for cheaper games, open platform and all the games from Xbox, PS and PC together in one place?

That is the threat.

Not gonna happen.

Most gamers on every console platform are casual gamers who are not interested in building a PC which costs more money. Most will happily get a console to play FIFA, GTA and COD plus the exclusives that come with the console.

Hardcore gamers are a minority and only they will consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.