WIndows Central/Miles Dompier begging for more Japanese games on Xbox: "Why are major 3rd party games constantly skipping Xbox?"

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

Xbox has a complicated third-party game problem that will be tough for Microsoft to solve.

Xbox Third-Party

(Image credit: Windows Central)

In the last decade, the video games industry has grown staggeringly. In 2012, video games generated an estimated $63.3 billion in sales worldwide, and current projections predict 2022 will close at a mind-blowing $197.0 billion. With this increased revenue potential comes amplified investments from prominent industry figures. PlayStation, Nintendo, and Xbox want bigger slices of this tremendously lucrative pie.
While these legacy platform holders and passionate fans celebrate the importance of compelling first-party exclusive titles, history demonstrates that many third-party games are the most significant profit drivers year-over-year. Call of Duty, Madden, FIFA, Grand Theft Auto, and other juggernauts frequently dominate the sales charts. When it comes to the undeniable financial workhorses, Microsoft has ensured consistent content. However, there are apparent gaps in the platform's third-party support.
Time and time again, we've seen major publishers skip Xbox. Occasionally this can reasonably be linked to exclusivity deals or limited-timed publishing arrangements. Unfortunately, there are dozens of examples of global video game releases that come to every platform possible except for Xbox. As Microsoft has proven in recent years, platforms can survive and even thrive without universal backing. Still, it's impossible not to wonder why third-party industry partners, especially those from Asia, opt out of delivering Xbox releases.

Why is the Xbox third-party situation relevant?​

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster

(Image credit: Square Enix)
This isn't my first time discussing the shortcomings of third-party support on Xbox. Previously, I've detailed Team Green's complicated struggles to maintain growth in the Japanese market and highlighted an unfortunately long list of JRPG franchises not currently available on modern Xbox consoles. For enthusiasts feverishly following industry developments, this isn't exactly breaking news. However, recent rumblings have reignited frustrations from the community once again.

Xbox players are worried they'll be neglected yet again.
According to internet sleuths who snapped several screenshots from the ESRB website, Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster has been rated for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. While the ESRB has seemingly pulled these console listings, this development adds credence to the long-running rumors of console ports for this beloved collection of iconic RPGs. PlayStation and Nintendo fans celebrated the idea of playing Final Fantasy 1-6 on their favorite platforms, but Xbox players are worried they'll be neglected yet again.
Currently, console versions of Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster haven't been confirmed by Square Enix, so we can't say definitively whether this rumored release is confidently skipping Xbox. Sadly, disheartened community members don't have monumental optimism, given the inharmonious history of Square Enix titles on Xbox. This console omission probably wouldn't be worth scrutinizing in an isolated instance. However, the genuine lack of faith and enthusiasm vocalized by Xbox fans on social media following these reports was palpable.

Why doesn't the media care?​

Final Fantasy VII

(Image credit: Square Enix)
As tensions climb between Xbox and fans regarding third-party inconsistencies, community members look to investigative journalists for answers. With few concrete stories published on what's incontrovertibly happening behind the scenes, certain critics have suggested that the media doesn't care about uncovering the truth. Like many players, I have a laundry list of questions and concerns surrounding video games I love, outright ignoring the Xbox platform.

I've encountered plenty of passionate industry advocates doing their best to shed some light on the situation.
Throughout 2022, I've reached out to Atlus, Square Enix, Nihon Falcom, Capcom, Xbox, Koei Tecmo, and others for comment on multiplatform releases that aren't available on Xbox consoles. Unsurprisingly, many publishers didn't respond or merely provided a "We have nothing further to share at this time." message. I've also spoken to numerous industry professionals familiar with the business dynamics of ports and platform viability off the record in hopes of obtaining further insights.
I've publicly joked about Legend of Mana, one of my favorite games of all time, overlooking Xbox being the catalyst for my unending quest for third-party clarity. In my search, I've encountered many passionate industry advocates doing their best to shed some light on the situation. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts and active investigations, I still need definitive answers to provide discouraged Xbox players.

Dissecting the misconceptions​

Xbox JRPGs

Upset by uncertainty and eager for understanding, a segment of the community has replaced theory with reality. From villainizing publishers like Square Enix to making sweeping statements about exclusivity deals, the complex truth of Xbox's third-party shortcomings is muddied further by this conjecture. I want to address the most prevalent assumptions I've noticed gaining traction on social media.
Let's start by dissecting the idea that certain publishers "hate" Xbox or its fans. Obviously, this stems from an oversimplification of the business needs of different development teams and companies. In a capitalist-driven global economy, no rational enterprise would willingly exclude a potential customer base if notable financial gains were to be achieved. So, a publisher essentially ignoring a market or entire platform out of spite feels a little unlikely, given the allure of the mighty dollar.

Developers and publishers have to weigh the financial risks associated with ports.
A frequently used counter to this argument suggests it's cheaper and easier to port games to other platforms than ever. While it's unquestionably more affordable to deliver new versions of previously developed titles, many players grossly underestimate the resources required for such endeavors. Reports indicate that smaller-scale indie ports can take 3-6 months to build and typically start at around $50,000. This timeline and the financial investments dramatically increase regarding complex AAA releases.

Xbox Jrpgs Hero

And some of you might be thinking, "well, they can just make up those costs with increased sales on the new platform." Theoretically, that is a possible reality. However, developers and publishers have to weigh the financial risks associated with ports. The critically and commercially acclaimed indie darling Shovel Knight infamously performed disappointingly on Xbox. When Yacht Club Games celebrated its 2-million-unit milestone in 2018, a pie chart showed the Xbox version sitting at less than 5% of total sales.
Examples like Shovel Knight often get used to weaponize the "[insert X genre] don't sell on Xbox" rhetoric, which occasionally has tangentially supportive data. JRPGs are often presented as the most damning evidence in Xbox's uphill battle to expand its market share and secure enriched third-party support. Early figures from the launch of the 2022 juggernaut Elden saw PS5/PS4 secure over 50% of total sales, with Xbox at 29%. On the surface, that is an interesting disparity. But when you factor in PlayStation's massively more substantial install base, Xbox performed valiantly.
To respect the wishes of the individuals I've spoken to about the situation, I won't share official quotes or comments. A common theme tendered during my industry outreach was intricacy. The explanations many fans and pundits supply for Xbox's lack of universal third-party support doesn't often represent the delicate nuance of sustainable business relationships. Financial goals, platform expectations, and the unpredictable human element are all likely candidates for this corporate conundrum.

What can Xbox do?​

Xbox Series S

(Image credit: Amazon)
Xbox's relationship with some major third-party partners is complicated and inconsistent. Microsoft is painfully aware of this. Phil Spencer has previously spoken about the company's need to "rebuild trust with Japanese creators" to bolster the appeal of the Xbox ecosystem. Additionally, Sarah Bond has publicly declared Square Enix as a vital partner, despite their output on Xbox being one of the most unreliable of the AAA publishers.

Ultimately, more than anything, Xbox just needs to be consistent.
Despite a relatively rocky past, it's vital to highlight Xbox's reinvigorated efforts to build a better future for third-party developers. We're currently witnessing Xbox deliver on its previous commitments to improve its standing with Japanese creators. From the noteworthy collaboration with legendary director Hideo Kojima to cleverly positioned Xbox Game Pass drops like Persona 5 Royal and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, Xbox has clearly been putting in some leg work in this market.
Ultimately, more than anything, Xbox needs to be consistent. Messaging and commitments dwindled during the Xbox One generation, which presented opportunities for Nintendo and PlayStation to establish domineering relationships with major publishers and developers. In turn, audiences grew accustomed to playing certain games and franchises on non-Xbox hardware. So, to successfully course-correct, Xbox must slowly but steadily reestablish itself as a necessary platform for all third-party publishers.

Tl;dr: Because they don't sell on XBox

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The same question for decades.
The same reply for decades.

Because the sales on Xbox fail to reach the publisher/developer profit targets.

The Japanese games that are on Xbox are the ones that sell at least the minimum to be profitable.

PS. When I say profit is like revenue 25% or more over the all direct and indirect costs… no developer/publisher will work in a version that will just broken even…. So depending of the game 500k, 1m, etc are not enough for that.

And Gamepass is a issue in this case… unless MS open the wallet and fund all the development without asking for the revenue/profit from sales.

Last edited:
P

peter42O

The Japanese games don't sell which is why I believe that Microsoft should get the older games ported to Xbox and put in Game Pass day one in order to build an audience for these games. Then, they can see if for example Persona 6 sells on Xbox. Of course, it needs to be day one multi-platform. No one is going to buy Persona 6 day one on Xbox if it's released 5 years later.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The same question for decades.
The same reply for decades.

Because the sales on Xbox fail to reach the publisher/developer profit targets.

The Japanese games that are on Xbox are the ones that sell at least the minimum to be profitable.

PS. When I say profit is like revenue 25% or more over the all direct and indirect costs… no developer/publisher will work in a version that will just broken even…. So depending of the game 500k, 1m, etc are not enough for that.

And Gamepass is a issue in this case… unless MS open the wallet and fund all the development without asking for the revenue/profit from sales.
They pushed themself into the corner. They learnt their public don't buy the games, so, publishers will skip them, because they are not m$, they can't sustain massive losses, they work for profit. So only way to get those games on xbox is gamepass money. Good luck for them 😂

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
The Japanese games don't sell which is why I believe that Microsoft should get the older games ported to Xbox and put in Game Pass day one in order to build an audience for these games. Then, they can see if for example Persona 6 sells on Xbox. Of course, it needs to be day one multi-platform. No one is going to buy Persona 6 day one on Xbox if it's released 5 years later.

I'm sorry but GamePass isn't doing any good in this regard.

On the one side, you have the gamers who will expect a possible sequel to release on GP as well and wait until they forget nad won't care anymore.

On the other side, you have publishers not risking to put their games on Xbox, knowing perfectly that their game won't sell, unless MS pays the porting costs. And I doubt that this will be the case (see Octopath Traveller 2).

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna
P

peter42O

I'm sorry but GamePass isn't doing any good in this regard.

On the one side, you have the gamers who will expect a possible sequel to release on GP as well and wait until they forget nad won't care anymore.

On the other side, you have publishers not risking to put their games on Xbox, knowing perfectly that their game won't sell, unless MS pays the porting costs. And I doubt that this will be the case (see Octopath Traveller 2).

Octopath isn't a good example because SE doesn't know what they're doing. First game goes on Switch and Xbox but second game goes on Switch and PlayStation. SE is so confused that no one knows what they're doing.

People might expect the new games to go on Game Pass down the line but not day one for a new game. A five year old port? Sure. The bigger issue is that Japanese publishers can't complain about Xbox gamers not buying their games when they don't give them a valid reason to do so in the first place. They either need to be all in with supporting Xbox or not at all. Being halfway isn't going to accomplish anything.

Porting the games shouldn't be that big of an issue becausethey can always accept a Game Pass deal months after release to where the publisher isn't going to lose anything.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Octopath isn't a good example because SE doesn't know what they're doing. First game goes on Switch and Xbox but second game goes on Switch and PlayStation. SE is so confused that no one knows what they're doing.

People might expect the new games to go on Game Pass down the line but not day one for a new game. A five year old port? Sure. The bigger issue is that Japanese publishers can't complain about Xbox gamers not buying their games when they don't give them a valid reason to do so in the first place. They either need to be all in with supporting Xbox or not at all. Being halfway isn't going to accomplish anything.

Porting the games shouldn't be that big of an issue becausethey can always accept a Game Pass deal months after release to where the publisher isn't going to lose anything.

Yeah, "not at all" seems like the path most publishers prefer.

24 Jun 2022
I don't understand the obsession with these Xbox media people that on one hand, they criticize PS for making moves to secure exclusive content for their platform, yet on the other hand beg for Xbox to effectively secure delivery of key 3P content exclusively for GamePass. And that's "exclusive" in practice because only MS have the money to be able to pay out for multiple 3P AAA games to GamePass (even Day 1) regardless of the sunk costs to do so.

The way they frame discussion on Xbox not getting certain big Japanese games makes it sound like Xbox players are being disenfranchised, like their civil rights are being violated and it's "inhumane". It is NOT that serious. Gaming is a privilege, not a right. If a game isn't on your platform, then it's just business. If you really want a game and it's on a different platform, then buy the platform that game is on (and that goes for any platform). (Also an aside but his Elden Ring figures are inaccurate; those were early sales but the actual split at least at the time the 10/12 million figure was given seemed closer to 42% PC/40% PS/18% Xbox).

I don't mind people wanting to see more of a certain type of game on their platform, but there is a REALLY weird and almost politicized way these Xbox journalists and mouthpieces go about it, CONSTANTLY complaining and campaigning for let's say, Japanese companies, to "answer the call" and "do the right thing" to bring their games to their preferred platform. It's like these guys are lobbying for Microsoft free of charge and treating 3P Japanese devs/pubs as political candidates.

It's a very weird and I'd even say manipulative obsession on their part, and I only really see proponents of Xbox with big (or big-ish) platforms doing this. I think they try framing the concept of needing multiple systems to play all of your games as somehow being "anti-consumer" but the more they engage in what basically feels like politicized port-begging, the more it comes off as them wanting to be slick and put on a good face while they really want consolidation to one very specific platform, because you just KNOW how a lot of these people writing these sort of articles lean. Gets easier to see what it's really about with them.

And as you can see in Mile's own article, they are primarily focused on the Japanese exclusives PlayStation gets; yeah he name-drops Nintendo a couple of times but that is clearly not the focus. It's because subconsciously, they want Xbox to replace PlayStation, and this is just another veil they can hide behind to push that message. It wouldn't be as lame if they just came out and said what they wanted, I could at least respect them in that case. And I say that because when they bring up stuff like the Japanese games situation, it's within an environment already dealing with MS acquiring big 3P publishers (and wanting to acquire even more), heavily subsidizing Series S in ways that would be unsustainable for smaller companies just to move volume, looking to tie even more 3P devs into the Azure network, pushing a subscription-based business model for the future etc. All of these being things you never see people like Miles push back against because they all incidentally happen to line up with and benefit Microsoft's growth ambitions in gaming.

THAT'S why I look at articles like this and come to the conclusion that they aren't genuine in intention. Xbox players have known for years now if they want as many JRPGs as possible, you get a PS or Nintendo. PS gamers will potentially be faced with a situation where if they want as many WRPGs as possible, they'll need to get an Xbox. If you want as many platformers as possible or kart racers, you need to get a Nintendo. Platforms having a majority on certain types of content (both in terms of multiplats & exclusives) that fall into certain categories is a GOOD thing and that's helped feed into different platforms having their own identity & surrounding culture. Guys like Miles may not value that and that's fine, but feeding into what feels like an agenda to galvanize things for a specific platform isn't fine IMO.

Like, you KNOW those Japanese publishers have prior sales data informing their decisions. You KNOW that any offers Sony or Nintendo offer them for exclusivity, still have to be accepted by the publisher. But these kind of articles never address the elephant in the room which the OP here pretty much spells out: those games you keep port-begging for had earlier versions that never sold that well on Xbox platforms to make continued efforts worth it.

And that's fine, because there will always be cases like that for any system. Didn't the new Saint's Row do almost as well on Xbox as on PlayStation? We know in America, COD sales on Xbox are pretty strong even in relation to the PS sales. Certain games just do well on certain platforms and that's okay. If that determines if certain games continue to release on a platform, then so be it. If you want those games so badly, just buy the console they're on and play them there. It's not your right to have access to that game on a platform it's unavailable for, you've got this whole "gaming" thing mixed up.

24 Jun 2022
Did we not have some sales figures recently about how many Xboxes sold in Japan, was it something like 250 or something in a month?

I cant exactly remember but it was super low.

Yeah it was like 250 for Series X, 1.5K for Series S. Volumes have been very low for Series in general in Japan the past couple of months but Series X seems particularly strained. I wouldn't say that's "strained" relative to demand, though. Maybe they would move more if more Series Xs were available, but I'm guessing MS shifted supply to markets where demand is better.

OTOH it seems like PS5 is doing at least 15K - 20K weekly now in Japan which is a notable improvement over six months ago.

"Building trust" , give me a break. The only reason xbox gets late ports of stuff like persona is because they paid cash upfront via gamepass. Otherwise it isn't worth publisher's time and money to port stuff to Xbox.

Yep. And MS seem to have pushed back on paying for the costs of such ports, at least going by this year. The main reason they got Persona 5 in GamePass is because that's probably a perk due to having Sega as a client for their Azure division (although that's just me guessing; no way to prove that).

I don't think it's that easy. Japanese publishers have 10+ years of market results with Xbox sales of earlier Japanese games to base their current priorities on, and in general the results were not great. They look at the sales of games like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for example (particularly in Japan), or Bullet Witch (a game that would do good with a remake IMO), or FF XIII and XV. That's what they're basing their choices on.

They aren't going to suddenly forget the OG Xbox, 360 and XBO gens existed, or suddenly not compare sales there with sales on PlayStation and Nintendo platforms. And yeah, Japanese sales in particular do matter to them, even if the games are becoming increasingly global in cases. So if MS isn't willing to front the costs for native Xbox Series S & X builds ,there's a decent chance builds for those systems aren't made. Even if they are, it's one thing to incentivize publishers to do so for a retail release and another thing entirely to incentivize them to do so for GamePass.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

The first games was not announced to PS? That is crazy lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Tl;dr: Because they don't sell on XBox
True, unless moneyhatted or acquired I think it's difficult to see Japanese devs making Xbox exclusives, and if they are smaller can even totally skip XB even when not moneyhatted by Sony or Nintendo.

Maybe their Japanese sales are a big chunk of their sales and saw that in Japan Xbox has a too small installbase, or maybe they have a more global approach but are a small studio who can't afford to release the game everywhere, so if they have to sacrifice a platform they sacrifice the one with the smallest market share globally: Xbox. Considering GP day one releases, maybe game sales are even smaller than their market share/install base percentage.

In the case of Nintendo, we know that like half of their game sales are first party, and that the volume of 3rd party sales is fairly smaller than in Sony's case. So I understand that if many 3rd party companies have to choose a console probably because they are small and can't afford more at launch, they may choose Sony.

I have no ideia how Square Enix shit works.
What the point to launch II but not I?
Maybe MS moneyhatted SE to don't release the first on PS and then Sony moneyhatted SE to don't release it on XB. In the case of a big publisher like Square Enix, they can afford to release all their games in all platforms. And the more platforms a game is released at launch, they make more money.

So pretty likely in cases like this one when some game is console exclusive or isn't released in one of the high end consoles it's because someone else moneyhatted them to block these versions at least temporally. And paying them enough money to more than compensate the lost sales.

Last edited: