With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This complecancy worry is most definitely a Microsoft FUD campaign resulting with inception of this ridiculous notion. It's not day and date, it's not going to be day and date, any PC release after some period is extra money made in addition to console sales continuing in slowing fashion.
Its not Microsodt FUD. I know people who are not buying on PS5 and waiting instead.

Lets release games on Switch and Xbox too, its extra money

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Its not Microsodt FUD. I know people who are not buying on PS5 and waiting instead.

Lets release games on Switch and Xbox too, its extra money
That is FUD... I know people... Yeah everyone knows people like that, they are called sucker imaginary friends. I'm not going to respond to the other thing at all hahaha if you think those things are the same then perhaps you are an xbot

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t go screaming from the mountains calling it a huge success (yet). Launch seems to be going well tho. Breaking 2 million units will be impressive. 5 million tho? Now that will be huge. I’m quite interested to see how an EDF style online horde shooter will do. It’s rather niche so seeing this launch go this well already is encouraging.

Should they be part of ps studios having worked on creating a successful new IP together? Yes they’ve clearly fostered a working business relationship…. I’d rather Gunfire Games over Arrowhead if we’re talking up and coming devs in the space tho.

Numbers trending upwards too for the weekend.

Fans are going to need a new excuse to explain why Suicide Squad megabombed. Less to do with gaas and more to do with making a game that caters to morally reprehensible trash people who glorify criminal behavior and villains.

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
That is FUD... I know people... Yeah everyone knows people like that, they are called sucker imaginary friends. I'm not going to respond to the other thing at all hahaha if you think those things are the same then perhaps you are an xbot
Lol if you say so. Im one of the last people on a video game forum that would be an xbot, maybe your new here. Why would an Xbot want PS games excluisive to its own platform…
I think its the other way round... it doesnt benefit PS players going to PC.

My brother and 2 of my friends arent sucker imaginary people lol.

Maybe your a PC fanboy, why else would a PS fan want PS games elsehwre?

No please tell me why its different. Steam, Xbox and Nintendo are all different gaming platforms.

Xbox's downfall wasnt just gamepass, it was going day 1 releases with PC ( another playform). At the start of Xbox One.

If you go a forum like neogaf you can see the gradual change of, "I have a PC i dont need an Xbox anymore..."
And you'll also see, o Ill wait till its out on PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_Paganel

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
Sony aint buying Arrow head, the minute they do all the top folks at arrow head are gonna take their cuts and leave.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
At first I was kind of skeptical, but thinking about it, it might make sense. Sony pictures made Starship Troopers so it would be an interesting cross-media opportunity to revisit that franchise as well.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Arrowhead and Ballistic Moon please.
Arrowhead is probably now gonna be much more expensive than if they bought them a month ago. Sony loves to help studios become succesful and then not be able to buy them. Arrowhead, FromSoft, Ninja Theory, Quantic Dreams etc etc

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
At first I was kind of skeptical, but thinking about it, it might make sense. Sony pictures made Starship Troopers so it would be an interesting cross-media opportunity to revisit that franchise as well.
That would be a pretty good idea tbh. Cross over fun

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Arrowhead is probably now gonna be much more expensive than if they bought them a month ago. Sony loves to help studios become succesful and then not be able to buy them. Arrowhead, FromSoft, Ninja Theory, Quantic Dreams etc etc

They probably have an agreement already in place.

Insomniac were acquired after the success of Spiderman.

Same with Housemarque and Returnal.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They probably have an agreement already in place.

Insomniac were acquired after the success of Spiderman.

Same with Housemarque and Returnal.

It took forever to buy Insomniac lol. Years of making Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance and finally after Spiderman

Reactions: Box

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
It took forever to buy Insomniac lol. Years of making Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance and finally after Spiderman

True but times have changed. If Sony doesn’t it knows Tencent or Microsoft will.

As good as those game were, Spiderman was their first major hit in terms of sales.

Sony snapped them up shortly after.

Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firesprite, Firewalk and Haven are case in point.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
As it reaches closer to 200k concurrent…

This should happen asap. Seems unwise to let the opportunity pass. Especially now that Sony has a hand in platforming the game and setting the stage for its success.

What Arrowhead’s management wants may of course be different.

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
As it reaches closer to 200k concurrent…

This should happen asap. Seems unwise to let the opportunity pass. Especially now that Sony has a hand in platforming the game and setting the stage for its success.

What Arrowhead’s management wants may of course be different.
They don't have a choice. PS own the IP.
None of this matters they were signed ages ago. Wasnt confirmed due to FTC/CMA cases.

If it's old school petty PS should announce welcome to the family same day as Xbox business waffle.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
They don't have a choice. PS own the IP.
None of this matters they were signed ages ago. Wasnt confirmed due to FTC/CMA cases.

If it's old school petty PS should announce welcome to the family same day as Xbox business waffle.

Valuing the IP over the dev is mistake. So what if they own the ip? They don’t own the talent.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
Agreed, They should work on Socom next
Expectations: "They should work on Socom next";
Reality: "GaaS development, with another Fortnite-level ambition (and a COLORful style), with a PC and possibly smartphone release".

Many years have passed, and not so long ago Sony actually killed Factions (which could have been released as an MP game and given to another team or studio to support), and weakly promoted its IPs, in the form of Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima.

I'd like to see a new sequel to the Socom series, but I don't believe that the current Sony will do it, as it has moved away from the successful OoPS policy and started making incomprehensible moves.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Many years have passed, and not so long ago Sony actually killed Factions (which could have been released as an MP game and given to another team or studio to support), and weakly promoted its IPs, in the form of Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima.
They are working on Days Gone and GoT movies. Sucker Punch is almost confirmed to be working in GoT2, and if Bend isn't working in Days Gone 2 now is because one of the Bend bosses didn't want to.

ND killed Factions 2 because wanted to focus instead in new SP games and don't want them to be impacted by the resources needed by the MP game.

I'd like to see a new sequel to the Socom series, but I don't believe that the current Sony will do it, as it has moved away from the successful OoPS policy and started making incomprehensible moves.
Their moves are very comprensible: AAA are a huge risk because require an insane budget of hundreds of millions, so they go back to IPs that sell well enough or make new IPs from trusted developers.

On top of that, they are also expanding to top performing (meaning, where the players put more time and money) AAA game types where Sony's 1st and 2nd party titles had a minor presence or success: shooters, MP and GaaS. They tried with Socom, Killzone or Resistance and did ok but they are now aiming at another level, to fight for the top. They made a bet with a GaaS Helldivers 2 from the makers of the great Helldivers 1 for coop shooters, and for PvP the are working with makers of Destiny, Halo, CoD or Rainbow Six Siege to name a few.

As mentioned AAA games cost a shit ton of money, and PS Studios alone (not counting non-PS Studios SIE published games like Bungie or others) is working in more than 25 games, so they need extra revenue to fund them. So they expanded to more areas, some where there are more players and where gaming makes way more money than in PS: PC, mobile and movies/tv shows. That gives them not only more revenue and profit, but also brings them new fans.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS