With success of Helldivers Sony can't let Arrowhead remain independent |UP| Rumor of acquisition is unsubstantiated as per Arrowhead. 10 mil sales?

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
That is FUD... I know people... Yeah everyone knows people like that, they are called sucker imaginary friends. I'm not going to respond to the other thing at all hahaha if you think those things are the same then perhaps you are an xbot
It's not FUD. Y'all are so heavy on the conspiracy theories.

I grew up with PlayStation and Xbox, I am never getting another PlayStation because I have PC, with the way things are going, I'm not getting a PlayStation because I know that it will come to PC sometime.

I didn't even throw money at a PS4 for bloodborne and i'm a fromsoft dick rider. There isn't anything on PS that makes me want a PS. I don't like comics, God of War's old style is better impo, Ghost is coming to PC sometime soon (according to the NVIDIA Leak and rumors), tlou isnt interesting to me.

What they were saying has actual merit, there are tons like me who will not buy a console because they know PC releases are on the horizon, Helldivers 2 shows Sony they can profit much more on PC from day and date.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
ND killed Factions 2 because wanted to focus instead in new SP games and don't want them to be impacted by the resources needed by the MP game.
They could have released it as an MP mode, or transferred it to another team that could provide content support.

As far as I know, Factions was canceled after Bungie's expertise, who saw this game as an opportunity to make a GaaS with more active monetization, only after that the project was killed.

As mentioned AAA games cost a shit ton of money, and PS Studios alone (not counting non-PS Studios SIE published games like Bungie or others) is working in more than 25 games, so they need extra revenue to fund them. So they expanded to more areas, some where there are more players and where gaming makes way more money than in PS: PC, mobile and movies/tv shows. That gives them not only more revenue and profit, but also brings them new fans.
XBOX has already tried to repeat this, and as a result, killed its own hardware, and has repeatedly failed in its attempts to create GaaS.

As a result, they acquired a ready-made COD franchise, and may become a publisher rather than the owner of a platform from which they could receive a commission.

But XBOX did this against the backdrop of unprofitability and numerous injections from the parent company, while Sony's PS is a key business.

If they lose hardware and PSN revenues, it will knock them out of the gaming market leaders, essentially repeating Sega's experience, but they will have movies and TV shows (which can also fail, few people believed in Marvel's fall before). Mobile gaming is also not a stable market, and I don't really believe that it will be able to cover the losses from the PS policy change.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They could have released it as an MP mode, or transferred it to another team that could provide content support.

As far as I know, Factions was canceled after Bungie's expertise, who saw this game as an opportunity to make a GaaS with more active monetization, only after that the project was killed.
Bungie, Nintendo and Electronic Ars had nothing to do with the game being cancelled.

ND decided to branch out the game from TLOU2 to turn it a standalone game. Then later ND decided to cancel it and focus on SP games only. ND has freedom to do whatever they want.

Bungie is not the boss of ND, and isn't even inside PS Studios. Bungie is part of the SIE Live Services Center of Excellence in the same way PS Studios and SIE publishing are. And there they share GaaS specific tools and knowledge, review GaaS specific part of the game projects and provide support. That's all. They can't cancel PS Studios games, in the same way they can't cancel Ubisoft games.

Bungie cancelling a ND game is a nonsensical idea.

XBOX has already tried to repeat this, and as a result, killed its own hardware, and has repeatedly failed in its attempts to create GaaS.

As a result, they acquired a ready-made COD franchise, and may become a publisher rather than the owner of a platform from which they could receive a commission.
Helldivers 1 (PC & PS game) was very successful, so Sony gave them way more money for Helldivers 2 turning it a AAA game, and it's being very successful.

Sony is the most successful gaming company, specially in console. Specially now, they are achieving all time gaming history records. With Sony's PC strategy they are performing better than ever.

MS bought the Halo and CoD brands, Sony acquired a good chunk of the talent that made them (and Destiny) great. A big differenece. For MS worked in the short term, but for Sony will work for the long term.

But XBOX did this against the backdrop of unprofitability and numerous injections from the parent company, while Sony's PS is a key business.

If they lose hardware and PSN revenues, it will knock them out of the gaming market leaders, essentially repeating Sega's experience, but they will have movies and TV shows (which can also fail, few people believed in Marvel's fall before). Mobile gaming is also not a stable market, and I don't really believe that it will be able to cover the losses from the PS policy change.
Xbox division always generated loses for them, so they are slowly killing their console on purpose and moving their gaming business to PC, mobile and the other consoles. They saw they can't compete in consoles, so tried with game subs making an all-in bet.

Sony's stategy instead is more profitable and successful than ever. In console, in PC (let's remember Sony also made MSX games, published in games as Psygnosis and had SOE, plus also had previous SCE/SIE games on PC like Helldivers 1) and in game subs. And they are starting to work and making deals for mobile, whose results will be seen in a few years.

Sony console hardware, console software, console game sub, console accesories are better than ever and growing. Their 1st party console games too, sequels of games ported to PC (GoWR and Spider-Man) broke all time sales records for any Sony exclusive. They are growing and half of console sales are to new users who didn't have PS3 or PS4, so these new fans come mostly from PC because it's bigger than the Xbox userbase. PS has the biggest active userbase any console ever had, because not only PS5 is having a record launch aligned number, but because they still have a huge userbase in PS4 that will migrate later.

So no, they aren't losing hardware or PSN revenues: they are improving it. They are getting new fans with (in part) PC. There are no loses, they only exist in fantasy land: Sony is getting record revenue and profits, even if most of it is spend in making more games, growing their teams and acquiring new ones.

Sony's success kicked out Sega and Nintendo out of the home console market and now they are kicking out Xbox, which is slowly dying because Sony is eating their market share.

Yobo

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Are we really arguing ND didn't make the right choice avoiding the GaaS trap? Particularly this year after clear examples of GAAS success and failure.

There are two paths a GAAS will take: failure and complete reputational damage (see Rockstar and Suicide Squad). Success and it becomes all consuming just to keep up (this will be Palworld and Helldivers 2). Content needs to be pumped out frequently and if it's not you are back to failure (see Halo Infinite). It would have totally taken over Naughty Dog and we wouldnt get the games we love from them anymore

I am glad Factions 2 was canned. GAAS from Sony should be new partners, newly acquired Devs. Not trying to turn your golden goose into something they aren't known for

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
If I were Sony I would be throwing all sorts monetary and resource offers at Arrowhead. These guys know how to make a fun game.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
It's not FUD. Y'all are so heavy on the conspiracy theories.

I grew up with PlayStation and Xbox, I am never getting another PlayStation because I have PC, with the way things are going, I'm not getting a PlayStation because I know that it will come to PC sometime.

I didn't even throw money at a PS4 for bloodborne and i'm a fromsoft dick rider. There isn't anything on PS that makes me want a PS. I don't like comics, God of War's old style is better impo, Ghost is coming to PC sometime soon (according to the NVIDIA Leak and rumors), tlou isnt interesting to me.

What they were saying has actual merit, there are tons like me who will not buy a console because they know PC releases are on the horizon, Helldivers 2 shows Sony they can profit much more on PC from day and date.

You didn’t even buy a PS4 so the fuck are you talking about. “Tons like me” yah tons of people who wouldn’t buy a PlayStation either way.

You and people like you have no material effect on the console’s success at all, but if they do day and date for the premier sp titles, which they won’t clearly and for good reason, then yeah it could actually hurt PlayStation. The point here isn’t for PlayStation to become a third party to Steam… that isn’t a good future for PlayStation at all.

Last edited:

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
You didn’t even buy a PS4 so the fuck are you talking about. “Tons like me” yah tons of people who wouldn’t buy a PlayStation either way.

You and people like you have no material effect on the console’s success at all, but if they do day and date for the premier sp titles, which they won’t clearly and for good reason, then yeah it could actually hurt PlayStation. The point here isn’t for PlayStation to become a third party to Steam… that isn’t a good future for PlayStation at all.
You know why I didn't a buy PS4? I couldn't justify spending the money on a console for one singular game. If PS came out with a few games I actually want and I know without a shadow of a doubt it wouldn't be ported, I'd buy it.

You say clearly yet I don't think there's a clear indicator at all. Releasing on day one gave PS their highest personal launch record on PC than ever before, and you want to know why that is? It's because they didn't wait 2 years for hype to die down. Fanboys talk a lot about "console this, console that, pc players don't buy games, look how bad the sales are" but Helldivers 2 absolutely shows that there is a market on PC for PS if they don't delay their launch for such a long time.

The point is that PlayStation is experimenting, and the results are great for them.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: ApolloHelios

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
More live service multiplayer acquisitions .... NO
Acquiring live services devs at least take the pressure away from other studio to show up with GaaS of their own.

I still can't get over Factions being canceled, what a waste... :cry: experienced single player studios should not be dragged into this. The sad part is that ND had experience and the previous Uncharted and TLoU games had very good multiplayer modes but TLoU Part 1 Remake and TLoU Part 2 ended up without multiplayer mode because of their canceled GaaS.

The decision to not at least include multiplayer in the remake is absolutely stupid, would've helped a lot with sales.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Acquiring live services devs at least take the pressure away from other studio to show up with GaaS of their own.
How do those correlate? If they're pursuing GaaS with multiple studios and acquire another, who's to say they'd just stop their development on GaaS after putting in the work already? I feel like they would take the chance to hit multiple cash cows. imagine if Sony had at most 3 GaaS out at the same time generating constant income, especially if they're wildly successful.

Here's hoping Marathon will be a major hit.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
How do those correlate? If they're pursuing GaaS with multiple studios and acquire another, who's to say they'd just stop their development on GaaS after putting in the work already? I feel like they would take the chance to hit multiple cash cows. imagine if Sony had at most 3 GaaS out at the same time generating constant income, especially if they're wildly successful.

Here's hoping Marathon will be a major hit.
It correlates because they said they were going all in on GaaS and if they are not acquiring GaaS studios that always meant it was the other studios that were going to be pushed into it, this could definitely take that pressure to go the GaaS route from future project from other studios specially since single players are doing so well now.

ND just stopped development of their GaaS and I doubt ND is going to be the only studio to see themselves in that situation.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
You know why I didn't a buy PS4? I couldn't justify spending the money on a console for one singular game. If PS came out with a few games I actually want and I know without a shadow of a doubt it wouldn't be ported, I'd buy it.

You say clearly yet I don't think there's a clear indicator at all. Releasing on day one gave PS their highest personal launch record on PC than ever before, and you want to know why that is? It's because they didn't wait 2 years for hype to die down. Fanboys talk a lot about "console this, console that, pc players don't buy games, look how bad the sales are" but Helldivers 2 absolutely shows that there is a market on PC for PS if they don't delay their launch for such a long time.

The point is that PlayStation is experimenting, and the results are great for them.
Which game?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You know why I didn't a buy PS4?
Because you are a hater? I bet you bought an Xbox to play whatever it is that people play on Xbox.

You didn't like Spider-man, God of War, TLoU, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Horizon, Gran Tursimo, etc? During most of the PS4 generation those games were PlayStation only without any expectation of PC ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: ApolloHelios

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
It correlates because they said they were going all in on GaaS and if they are not acquiring GaaS studios that always meant it was the other studios that were going to be pushed into it, this could definitely take that pressure to go the GaaS route from future project from other studios specially since single players are doing so well now.

ND just stopped development of their GaaS and I doubt ND is going to be the only studio to see themselves in that situation.
That is true, but ND was also always planning on a multiplayer mode that was going to turn into a GaaS, I think that's what you're talking about that they quit, and good on them. Single Player game studios shouldn't be forced onto something they can't do or don't want to do, rather. Example: Arkane Austin and the absolute disastrous flop that was Redfall, Austin made Prey, while the other Arkane studio (main one) makes Dishonored.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
That is true, but ND was also always planning on a multiplayer mode that was going to turn into a GaaS, I think that's what you're talking about that they quit, and good on them. Single Player game studios shouldn't be forced onto something they can't do or don't want to do, rather. Example: Arkane Austin and the absolute disastrous flop that was Redfall, Austin made Prey, while the other Arkane studio (main one) makes Dishonored.
Except they already had a history of successful multipalyer modes, when they tried to make them a full on GaaS and failed we ended up with nothing.

It would've made a lot more sense to have released the multiplayer mode and try to build something more ambitions from there. TLoU Part 2 has excels at everything and would've resulted in an awesome multiplayer game but it ain't Fortnite.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Because you are a hater? I bet you bought an Xbox to play whatever it is that people play on Xbox.

You didn't like Spider-man, God of War, TLoU, Uncharted, Bloodborne, Horizon, Gran Tursimo, etc? During most of the PS4 generation those games were PlayStation only without any expectation of PC ports.
Yeah bro, I do not like superheroes, God of War changed its gameplay style, TLoU and Uncharted don't interest me in the slightest, Bloodborne was the only one I cared about out of what you're bringing up and I couldn't justify myself to buy a whole console for it. Horizon doesn't interest me, even after years I gave it a shot on PC, I didn't enjoy it much. I don't know, just couldn't get into it. I'm going to try Forbidden West when that launches but Dragon's Dogma 2 takes precedence over that. I'm not a racing gamer either.

No, I'm not a "hater", I just don't play on console, the last PS i had was PS3, I got a 360 and one over the years, then switched to PC later. PC is the better platform subjectively to me, I just don't game on console anymore at all. I haven't seen anything on PS that makes me want to get it, now if Elder Scrolls somehow got exclusive to PS, I'd get one because Elder Scrolls is my all-time favorite series because I grew up with it.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Except they already had a history of successful multipalyer modes, when they tried to make them a full on GaaS and failed we ended up with nothing.

It would've made a lot more sense to have released the multiplayer mode and try to build something more ambitions from there. TLoU Part 2 has excels at everything and would've resulted in an awesome multiplayer game but it ain't Fortnite.
I never said they weren't good at it, I'm saying that their major success came from their singleplayer games. Full GaaS for any studio that does better with full games is not a good idea.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Yeah bro, I do not like superheroes, God of War changed its gameplay style, TLoU and Uncharted don't interest me in the slightest, Bloodborne was the only one I cared about out of what you're bringing up and I couldn't justify myself to buy a whole console for it. Horizon doesn't interest me, even after years I gave it a shot on PC, I didn't enjoy it much. I don't know, just couldn't get into it. I'm going to try Forbidden West when that launches but Dragon's Dogma 2 takes precedence over that. I'm not a racing gamer either.

No, I'm not a "hater", I just don't play on console, the last PS i had was PS3, I got a 360 and one over the years, then switched to PC later. PC is the better platform subjectively to me, I just don't game on console anymore at all. I haven't seen anything on PS that makes me want to get it, now if Elder Scrolls somehow got exclusive to PS, I'd get one because Elder Scrolls is my all-time favorite series because I grew up with it.
So why are you so mad at Sony, they even port their games to PC these days, what do you want from them? Why so much love for Xbox?

For the price of a few games you can get a PS5 and move on from hating on a successful product.

I played and still play on PC my whole life and it's not nearly as good as PC fanboys make it out to be.

edit:
Elder Scrolls fan? You have no taste.
Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office