WSJ - PS5 61.7M, XBS 28.3M shipments (end of June 2024)

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The percentage of those with high end cards is diminishing as overall sales of video cards plummet.

This is why AMD said they're not even going to focus on those cards moving forward.

That doesn't matter for mainstream gaming. Upcoming top of the line cards are basically PS6 performance. That's the bleeding edge.

In 2025 the floor in GPU performance for PC gaming will rise after 3 or 4 years of stagnation.

Entry level GPUs should easily handle 9th gen AAA titles with performance slightly above a base ps5.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
That doesn't matter for mainstream gaming. Upcoming top of the line cards are basically PS6 performance. That's the bleeding edge.

In 2025 the floor in GPU performance for PC gaming will rise after 3 or 4 years of stagnation.

Entry level GPUs should easily handle 9th gen AAA titles with performance slightly above a base ps5.

And software sales will decline in line with hardware sales... Maybe you're not understanding this...

Whenever you pose the scenario to a PC consumer, upgrade your rig in order to play new games, they have to ask themselves whether they want to upgrade or go to consoles and the declining hardware sales suggest the latter is happening.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Systemshock2023

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
I don't know any company that put Switch as console anymore.
It enters in the Portable category all the time.

9th Gen consoles are only PS5, Series X and Series S.
I only see it listed a console. 9th gen consoles are Xbox Series, PS5 and Switch.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Not even Wikipedia has it listed as 9th gen console.
Where are you getting that?

True.

4Usdzej.jpeg

Generation : Eighth / Ninth

Even for Wikipedia it's not so obvious
1466366219-risitas54.png

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
Not even Wikipedia has it listed as 9th gen console.
Where are you getting that?
Media, websites, Statistica, searches. VGChartz, MS, Everywhere. Even Wiki:

"the Nintendo Switch has also been noted as a competitor to ninth-generation consoles"

Even NIntendo themselves:

What's in the box​

Get everything you need to get started. Just pop in a game (sold separately) and go!

• Nintendo Switch Console
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy-Con (L) Neon Blue
  • Joy-Con (R) Neon Red
  • Joy-Con Wrist Straps
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • High Speed HDMI Cable
  • Nintendo Switch AC Adapter

The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo’s ninth generation hybrid console,

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Media, websites, Statistica, searches. VGChartz, MS, Everywhere. Even Wiki:

"the Nintendo Switch has also been noted as a competitor to ninth-generation consoles"

Even NIntendo themselves:

What's in the box​

Get everything you need to get started. Just pop in a game (sold separately) and go!

• Nintendo Switch Console
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy-Con (L) Neon Blue
  • Joy-Con (R) Neon Red
  • Joy-Con Wrist Straps
  • Joy-Con Grip
  • High Speed HDMI Cable
  • Nintendo Switch AC Adapter

The Nintendo Switch is Nintendo’s ninth generation hybrid console,

You wiki link has three 9th gen console listed... PS5, Series X and Series X.
After that they use the Related platforms sections to talk about Switch linking it to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles#Nintendo_Switch.

Technically a portable is still a console but the market is different.

Talking about financials when the pic you quoted is from Take 2.
I never saw any big publisher like Take 2 putting Switch in the same category than PS5 / Series X|S.
All of them when they talk about next-gen consoles talks only about PS5 / Series X|S.
And they put games for Switch in the Portable / Mobile business category.

Because nobody in the industry thinks Switch aim the same market than PS5 / Series... they are different markets... Switch doesn't compete with consoles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilms

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
You wiki link has three 9th gen console listed... PS5, Series X and Series X.
After that they use the Related platforms sections to talk about Switch linking it to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles#Nintendo_Switch.

But we talking about financials here when the pic you quoted is from Take 2.
I never saw any big publisher like Take 2 putting Switch in the same category than PS5 / Series X|S.
All of them when they talk about next-gen consoles talks only about PS5 / Series X|S.
And they put games for Switch in the Portable / Mobile business category
Not from what I see. We will just have to agree to disagree. 👍

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not from what I see. We will just have to agree to disagree. 👍
The whole industry put Switch separably from PS5 and Series S/X because they are different markets.
And you say not from what I see?
Crazy indeed.

It will be really hard to find slides from financials like that Take 2 one talking about consoles and putting Switch together lol

KvallyX

Veteran
Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Your Mom
The whole industry put Switch separably from PS5 and Series S/X because they are different markets.
And you say not from what I see?
Crazy indeed.

It will be really hard to find slides from financials like that Take 2 one talking about consoles and putting Switch together lol
lol ok

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Their Xbox estimate seems to be totally wrong. We've seen PS enlarging their marketshare vs XB in all the main markets during the recent years.

So the distance between both must be larger now that some years ago, which already was bigger than 2:1. It must be close or above 3:1.

PC gaming is in decline because the cost is so high to maintain console level or above performance. That cost ratio is going to continue to rise now that the PS5 Pro is coming out.
PC gaming is not in decline.

The ESTIMATE of that Aldora Intelligence nobodies is that it did decrease ONLY for last year after being growing since basically everywhere.

According to estimates of known and prestigious agencies like IDG or Newzoo it keeps growing:

Global-games-market-revenues-in-2024-by-segment.png

And well, the Steam userbase keeps growing.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Of course. And how much does the bleeding edge cost? More than a PS6 will, I'm guessing.
Not when you factor the De Lorean you need to get Ps6 like performance in a console now and not in 2028/2029. That's why it's called the bleeding edge. It never makes sense price/performance wise. It's not meant to.