Xbox considering "OEM" for their next console (confirmed legit)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
According to a rumor that is circulating on Neogaf, Xbox / Microsoft may be considering using 3rd party hardware manufacturers to make their next console(s).

It may open up the platform to multiple hardware manufacturers.

It's unclear how this would work practically or if it would be popular with customers.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
This makes no sense to me lol, prebuilt gaming PC companies pretty much already do this. Some of them like Cyberpower even come with 3-6 months of GamePass free when you buy a PC.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
ASUS announced a mini gaming PC that would be an excellent base to build a console experience around. SteamOS running on this would basically be a console. A 4070 inside will give the next generation a run for its money.

05b6Op4BVZ0BrGfDLwkPbcX-2.fit_lim.size_1152x.jpg

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
According to a rumor that is circulating on Neogaf, Xbox / Microsoft may be considering using 3rd party hardware manufacturers to make their next console(s).

It's unclear how this would work practically or if it would be popular with customers.

Pretty much the most important part from modern consoles is made by 3rd party manufactures. SSD is from Kingston, Processor Unit is from AMD etc

Reactions: xollowsob

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023

Whos the source?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
But would Xbox then be competing more with pc or console?

Would the specs all be standard? So many questions...
we're moving to there being no distinction between pc or console. current consoles are packing 99% PC hardware in the form of an AMD APU. the only difference between the ASUS NUC and an Xbox is the system software it boots to. steamOS is the first viable effort to make this real. it's possible for Microsoft to do something similar with windows, but so far their efforts have been toddler steps, expanding xinput control to base windows UI elements. gaming really needs a totally separate user interface.

hardware specs don't need to be uniform. developers target standards such as x86_64, vulkan, directx, SDL, etc and those standards need to be implemented in a cross-platform, compatible way. maybe a player like Microsoft would create a reference box that probably sticks to a simple AMD solution, but other hardware vendors could do intel+nvidia or intel+intel or who knows. developers should expect to support all/most, and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
They don't even have a proper UI for Windows with gamepad and the Xbox OS makes no sense for anyone.

With that said, it would not be surprising if MS chose the most nonsensical path.

• they're_right_you_know
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
who is going to invest in this money pit?

I mean, if any sensible company is looking at it, they will see that this is Microsoft freeing themselves of a high cost and still trying to keep all the benefits.

The manufacturers stand to gain very little really.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
who is going to invest in this money pit?
Who invests in SteamOS outside of Valve?

It doesn't have to be a special new investment. developers currently targeting playstation, xbox, and pc will just target playstation and pc. it's up to Microsoft to make sure the game experience is delivered properly.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
I mean, if any sensible company is looking at it, they will see that this is Microsoft freeing themselves of a high cost and still trying to keep all the benefits.

The manufacturers stand to gain very little really.
Nvidia does the same thing. I know EVGA stop making gpus for Nvidia because Nvidia were paying them peanuts.

• they're_right_you_know