Xbox considering "OEM" for their next console (confirmed legit)

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The return of the steam machine. Pc box optimizations will still be a nightmare for gamers.

I think it’s fine. Still see reasons for generations etc…

I’ll be sticking with PlayStation
I don't think so. Most people are not going to build a PC from components. They're going to buy fully assembled set-top boxes. Something similar to an AppleTV that's capable of playing AAA games.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
hmmm
zj479V6l.png
Who?
Tom Holland as Sam Porter Bridges plehs
Why don't we just go ahead and cast Tom Holland as Mike Tyson in a Punch-Out!! Movie 💀
I mean, if any sensible company is looking at it, they will see that this is Microsoft freeing themselves of a high cost and still trying to keep all the benefits.

The manufacturers stand to gain very little really.
I look forward to the xbot faithful who will buy their $1500 "consoles" with a -60 level gpu

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I don't think so. Most people are not going to build a PC from components. They're going to buy fully assembled set-top boxes. Something similar to an AppleTV that's capable of playing AAA games.

Right. But do we expect devs to manage all these different boxes well? Cyberpunk isn’t the best example but part of their difficulties was optimizing for like 7 different platforms. Seems reasonable to expect issues with software compatibility etc.

I imagine Sony will continue to showcase why building with generational standards will pay off in both performance and presentation.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This will fail because nobody is attached to the Xbox brand. The brand is dead outside a very small and loud lunatics.

It's just a generic box with a X logo so just buy a regular PC.

There was some nostalgia for Sega but I can't see kids today miss the Xbox days or whatever. Microsoft = excel spreadsheet.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This will fail because nobody is attached to the Xbox brand. The brand is dead outside a very small and loud lunatics.

It's just a generic box with a X logo so just buy a regular PC.

There was some nostalgia for Sega but I can't see kids today miss the Xbox days or whatever. Microsoft = excel spreadsheet.
Xbots will just go PC or quit gaming when MS kills the hardware.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Right. But do we expect devs to manage all these different boxes well? Cyberpunk isn’t the best example but part of their difficulties was optimizing for like 7 different platforms. Seems reasonable to expect issues with software compatibility etc.

I imagine Sony will continue to showcase why building with generational standards will pay off in both performance and presentation.
In the last few years, PC games have gotten a lot better about automatically tailoring settings to the box. In the future I'm picturing, developers would focus on the 80% most common install base and let the 20% deal with a bit more tweaking. That's the value of a *reference* model, but not rigid requirements.

I think Sony is proving that generations don't work anymore. Just like every other AAA publisher they weren't willing to cut off PS4 sales potential on major games like God of War Ragnarok or Horizon Forbidden West. None of the major PS4 teams other than Insomniac have announced a PS5 exclusive., 4 years into the generation.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
Are Dell suckers for making hardware and selling it? They're one of the top 100 companies in the world. MS is underrated as a hardware maker, but they're clearly not up to mass producing hardware for 50M+ users at slim margins. Arguably an OEM like Samsung or ASUS could be making a better and more profitable Playstation than Playstation.

Based on what exactly?

Don’t make MS/Xbox problems PlayStation problems btw.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Based on what exactly?

Don’t make MS/Xbox problems PlayStation problems btw.

All console makers have the same problem: distributing cutting edge tech to a massive global audience at low cost. MS is bad at it, Sony is good at it. Nevertheless, it's a high risk, low reward business.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
As long as their OS is able to play XSX titles they should be fine but going 3rd party means $$$

A new direction in console market for sure, that is what Xbox needs the most, fighting another console in the same market is also costly and risky like Sega Saturn and GC and how they lost badly to PS2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
All console makers have the same problem: distributing cutting edge tech to a massive global audience at low cost. MS is bad at it, Sony is good at it. Nevertheless, it's a high risk, low reward business.

That’s not a problem, because it means a lower cost of entry and you lock people into an ecosystem. Somehow MS having trouble selling HW now means there’s a problem with the model? This is ridiculous. Sell it for profit then. Oh right.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
That’s not a problem, because it means a lower cost of entry and you lock people into an ecosystem. Somehow MS having trouble selling HW now means there’s a problem with the model? This is ridiculous. Sell it for profit then. Oh right.
Xbox's failures are not the only issues facing The Industry. They're not even the main issues.