• Neither, but i will watch it

Votes: 10 27.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Christ, this is the problem of you jumping on a conversation halfway through. If you had bothered to read, you would have understood that I said that games commissioned by PS are first-party. Hell, I even used R&C and Spider-Man (og) as examples. Someone used the Metroid example I also said it's first-party.

You're such a terminally ill fanboy that you're upset with me and then basically accuse me of having the opposite opinion of the one I hold. Here, if it helps you process:

There's only one smooth brain here and your comment clearly demonstrates which of us it is.
ALL PUBLISHED GAMES ARE COMMISSIONED. What are you yapping about.

You don't even understand how game publishing works and you want to apply arbitrary definitions to it.

First party and third party is not about the relationship of the publisher and developer. It has nothing to do with co development (lol). It is not about the ownership of developers.

You are trying to make these elements part of the definition and that is not what it is.

First party is the platform holder publishing on their own platform, third party is a third party publishing on that platform. That is IT

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Vertigo

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
ALL PUBLISHED GAMES ARE COMMISSIONED. What are you yapping about.
No they aren't.

You don't even understand how game publishing works and you want to apply arbitrary definitions to it.
Game developer pitches their game to publlisher
Publisher agrees to publish

This does not make a game published by publisher a commissioned game. But keep spinning.

First party and third party is not about the relationship of the publisher and developer. It has nothing to do with co development (lol). It is not about the ownership of developers.
Of course not. First-party is whatever bullshit definitions you terminally ill fanboys attribute now.

You are trying to make these elements part of the definition and that is not what it is.
Sure, Jan.

First party is the platform holder publishing on their own platform, third party is a third party publishing on that platform. That is IT
Wait...

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Chris Ryan Laughing GIF by The Ringer

The following games are now first-party:
  • No Man's Sky (co-published)
  • DC Universe Online (published by Sony in Asia)
  • Diablo III (same as above)
  • The Evil Within (same as above)
  • Nioh (published by SIE outside of Japan)
I can keep going, but this just proves how wrong you and the blue acolytes are.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Let's make this very easy for the blue acolytes that have now moved every single goalpost. I'm even going to copy from this wikipedia article

A first-party developer is part of a company that manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it. First-party developers may use the name of the company itself (such as Nintendo), have a specific division name (such as Sony's Polyphony Digital) or have been an independent studio before being acquired by the console manufacturer (such as Rare or Naughty Dog).
Considering the new nature of most games being multiplatform, including PS Studios games, any game developed or co-developed by a PS Studio will be considered a first-party game, regardless of where it's released. If you'd like to stick to the definition above, most PS Studios games have ceased to be first-party, which is just fucking stupid and I think nobody agrees with.

Second-party developer is a colloquial term often used by gaming enthusiasts and media to describe game studios that take development contracts from platform holders and develop games exclusive to that platform, i.e. a non-owned developer making games for a first-party company.
As I said, studios that take development contracts. Stellar Blade was not this - it was in fact first announced for other platforms including Xbox.

Xdev working on a game doesn't make that game first or second party, since their purpose is not that of a development studio but rather a support studio for PS Studios and others (though they mostly stick with PS Studios games)

Nowadays second-party is not really used and has been merged with first-party.

Edit - and I will leave it at this. People are uber defensive due to PS having shown fuck all recently, that's fine, but let's not rewrite history just because your egos are affected.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
No they aren't.

Game developer pitches their game to publlisher
Publisher agrees to publish

Which is exactly what happened. You see the Playstation logo on the box?

This does not make a game published by publisher a commissioned game. But keep spinning.

Do you understand the word commission? It means they are paid to develop something. Sony as the publisher paid Shift Up to develop and they paid Team Ninja to develop

The following games are now first-party:
  • No Man's Sky (co-published)
  • DC Universe Online (published by Sony in Asia)
  • Diablo III (same as above)
  • The Evil Within (same as above)
  • Nioh (published by SIE outside of Japan)
I can keep going, but this just proves how wrong you and the blue acolytes are.
Correct they are first party games in those markets. That is why No Man's Sky was timed exclusive. Why Nioh was console exclusive. Diablo 3 is first party if Sony published on Playstation and third party if they published on Xbox and/or Nintendo

First party and third party is just a statement of the game publishers relationship to the platform. Any game Sony published on Playstation is first party, when Sony publishes a game on Switch they are a third party publisher. Microsoft publish on Playstation as a third party.

Hope that helps your little green rat brain

Reactions: ApolloHelios

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Let's make this very easy for the blue acolytes that have now moved every single goalpost. I'm even going to copy from this wikipedia article

Considering the new nature of most games being multiplatform, including PS Studios games, any game developed or co-developed by a PS Studio will be considered a first-party game, regardless of where it's released. If you'd like to stick to the definition above, most PS Studios games have ceased to be first-party, which is just fucking stupid and I think nobody agrees with.

As I said, studios that take development contracts. Stellar Blade was not this - it was in fact first announced for other platforms including Xbox.

Xdev working on a game doesn't make that game first or second party, since their purpose is not that of a development studio but rather a support studio for PS Studios and others (though they mostly stick with PS Studios games)

Nowadays second-party is not really used and has been merged with first-party.

Edit - and I will leave it at this. People are uber defensive due to PS having shown fuck all recently, that's fine, but let's not rewrite history just because your egos are affected.
Dumbass think Sony published Stellar Blade while paying nothing to Shift Up. oh my god
laugh-mock.gif

Maybe this will help you pea brain

Screenshot_20240610_190910_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240610_200427_Chrome.jpg

OUTSIDE DEVELOPER making use of Sony's publishing IS FIRST PARTY

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240610_190910_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_190910_Chrome.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: ApolloHelios

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Why almost all the founders here seem like green rats in disguise or doomers to bring everything down to green side level?? You guys accept money from apparent trolls, all you need is ask for real Sony fans to pony up if you depend on green rats this much and let discussion revolve around PC and doom all the time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke and Yobo

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
The gaming world.

Your radar is irrelevant.

Astro Bot will be GOTY contender.

Whats coming for Xbox this year?

Classic case of showing all your cards at once showing games which are years away.

You will be seeing the trailers for these games next year too and the year after.
At least Xbox has trailers worth mentioning...... BOOM!

And please... NO Astrobot will NOT be a contender, it's a kids game with a certain fanbase. A niche if you will.

But I guess if this is the only 1st party AAA game from Sony, yes it will win GOTY for PS5 by default lol. Unless Stellar Blade takes the crown.

Take off the fanboy glasses and see the facts. Hell I have a PS5 and PC. But I'm not an idiot......

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Why almost all the founders here seem like green rats in disguise or doomers to bring everything down to green side level?? You guys accept money from apparent trolls, all you need is ask for real Sony fans to pony up if you depend on green rats this much and let discussion revolve around PC and doom all the time.
Common dude 😂 really?

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
Astrobot will absolutely be a contender for GOTY, the same way Mario games are.
No, just no. Mario has an extensive history spanning back 40 years. It has lore, pedigree, the lot.
Everyone knows who Super Mario is. Even non gamers.

Astrobot's only history is being a glorified tech demo for Sony. (PS4 controller, PSVR and PS5 features)
No-one outside gaming or maybe even Sony's ecosystem knows Astrobot.

NO it won't be GOTY contender and you can quote my hairy ass on this.
For it to become a GOTY contender, it has to ship consoles as 99% of GOTY games have done. People buy consoles for these type of games.
Same with Mario. People bought and are still buying Nintendo products to play these games and rightfully so. It's an established franchise, a household name.

In all honesty if you didnt have a PS5 would Astrobot be the title that wins you over? That would be a hard NO.
One may dream, but it will remain just that. A dream.

How dare you compare a gaming icon to a fucking techdemo mascot??? What have you been smoking?!

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
No, just no. Mario has an extensive history spanning back 40 years. It has lore, pedigree, the lot.
So a game cannot be GOTY because it hasn't got mindshare? Dafuq?

What was Hades? What was It Takes Two?

That's such a weird argument.
Astrobot's only history is being a glorified tech demo for Sony. (PS4 controller, PSVR and PS5 features)
And?
If it has the quality, it will be. If it doesn't, It won't be.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

For it to become a GOTY contender, it has to ship consoles as 99% of GOTY games have done. People buy consoles for these type of games.
Same with Mario. People bought and are still buying Nintendo products to play these games and rightfully so. It's an established franchise, a household name.

In all honesty if you didnt have a PS5 would Astrobot be the title that wins you over? That would be a hard NO.

How dare you compare a gaming icon to a fucking techdemo mascot??? What have you been smoking?!
WTF are you talking about? If Stray can be a GOTY contender, then Astro absolutely can. Also Ratchet and Clank and Psychonauts aren’t icons and they were also GOTY contenders. This has to be a troll post. Lol

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Darth Vader

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023

Bro never played rescue mission and it shows

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are third-party. Sony didn't develop (nor even co-develop, they just lent a hand like with other games) neither of them, nor they commissioned them. Helldivers 2 is first-party (they own the IP, they funded the game, and they commissioned the game).

Nice projection there.
Sony did fund Stellar Blade. The game wouldn’t have been made without them. It was going to be a AA game, before Sony stepped in. XDEV had a lot to do with their development.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony did fund Stellar Blade. The game wouldn’t have been made without them. It was going to be a AA game, before Sony stepped in. XDEV had a lot to do with their development.
I only found this (seems like the og interview was removed there?)

Sony provided full localization support, marketing, full QA testing and tool sharing from other Sony studios.

If that's the case I stand corrected, thank you.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
WTF are you talking about? If Stray can be a GOTY contender, then Astro absolutely can. Also Ratchet and Clank and Psychonauts aren’t icons and they were also GOTY contenders. This has to be a troll post. Lol
Jesus Christ at least someone didnt take the bait and saw it for what it was............ Almost got me disappointed...

BUT I do stand by 1 of my remarks and its that a ecosystem locked techdemo.

Ratchet? Yes! Fully agree!
Stray? Also.

But I don't think enough people will be rooting for an Astrobot game to merit a possible GOTY title.
Stray was popular by lifting on the Cat hype and it was truly something new.
Ratchet has been proven a stable enough IP.

Would I like to see it happen? Of course! The more new IP's the merrier..... But I don't think it will gain enough traction with a limited fanbase as it is.
I just did a simple test with my son.

Do you know Ratchet: Of course!
Do you know Sonic and Mario: Im not stupid dad...
Do you know Astrobot: Uhhh.... Oh wasnt that on the PS5 with the controller features?

And I think there will be a lot with him.
Not everyone is as informed and engaged as members here. And that's where a lot of audience is lost.
Unless they market the Hell out of it for some exposure way before release, it'll be a tough mission to get to GOTY level of sales numbers....

I have no doubt that gameplay wise it'll be fine but Sony got their hands full if they want to make this GOTY material. :)
Some games just exist and become GOTY. Some which deserve it never see the spotlights.

THIS is what I mean without trying to take the piss. Hope it clarifies it.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Can we ban this guy now please? @Bryank75 @Gamernyc78 he is trolling hard and it's enough to make this forum becomr a cesspool

Didn't see this till now.

@Box please dial it back. (Moderators could take action if they see more)

The founders here love PlayStation, I guarantee you that. Any complaints or doom posts come from a place of sincere concern or massive ambition for the brand.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The founders here love PlayStation, I guarantee you that. Any complaints or doom posts come from a place of sincere concern or massive ambition for the brand.
Don't say that. I for one am being bribed by Xbox representatives and I'm obviously an Xbox astroturfer from XboxEra. You're also getting my bribe money.