Xbox needs to be called out more for its lack of innovation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What has Xbox innovated and contributed to the gaming industry in the last 10 years?

We hear about the famous "Microsoft war chest" so often from Xbox fanboys on the internet, but what innovation has that war chest led to? Considering one of the richest companies in the world owns the Xbox brand, the lack of industry-defining innovation by Xbox is almost criminal and must be called out more by the media.
  • Innovation in controller feedback? Nintendo introduced HD rumble, and Sony perfected it with DualSense Haptic Feedback.
  • Innovation in controller triggers? Sony introduced adaptive triggers.
  • Innovation in portables? Nintendo introduced the Switch that revitalized portables.
  • Innovation in storage solutions? Sony built 2x faster SSDs and I/Os in a commercial PS5 unit and integrated it with Kraken and Oodle for amazing results.
  • Innovation in audio? Sony introduces a custom Tempest 3D engine with over 100 sound sources, while Xbox remains stuck with third-party solutions.
  • Innovation in game engines? Xbox has the Slipspace Halo Infinite engine to show for it, while companies like Epic, Sony, and Capcom innovated with UE5, Decima, and the RE Engine.
  • And so many other examples.
MS and Xbox have contributed nothing to the industry or its evolution for over a decade now.

What's worse is that they haven't even been able to take lesser-known ideas to the mainstream, for example:
  • Sony, a 10x smaller company, is leading the charge with VR in the console industry with state-of-the-art tech and features. While Xbox, with the infinite war chest and ~25 studios, is too scared to jump into the VR space (even after years of fake promises that it will).
The only "innovation" by Xbox in the last 10+ years is to take the Netflix model and copy-paste it into the gaming industry with Gamepass -- which, by the way, is still the least popular gaming subscription service after ~5 years (behind PS+ and Nintendo Online in sub count).

With so much money, Xbox should have been leading the charge with new tech and innovations for the gaming industry. And the lack of innovation and contribution should be called out by the media and gaming fans more.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
What has Xbox innovated and contributed to the gaming industry in the last 10 years?

We hear about the famous "Microsoft war chest" so often from Xbox fanboys on the internet, but what innovation has that war chest led to? Considering one of the richest companies in the world owns the Xbox brand, the lack of industry-defining innovation by Xbox is almost criminal and must be called out more by the media.
  • Innovation in controller feedback? Nintendo introduced HD rumble, and Sony perfected it with DualSense Haptic Feedback.
  • Innovation in portables? Nintendo introduced the Switch that revitalized portables.
  • Innovation in storage solutions? Sony built 2x faster SSDs and I/Os in a commercial PS5 unit and integrated it with Kraken and Oodle for amazing results.
  • Innovation in audio? Sony introduces a custom Tempest 3D engine with over 100 sound sources, while Xbox remains stuck with third-party solutions.
  • Innovation in game engines? Xbox has the Slipspace Halo Infinite engine to show for it, while companies like Epic, Sony, and Capcom innovated with UE5, Decima, and the RE Engine.
MS and Xbox have contributed nothing to the industry or its evolution for over a decade now.

What's worse is that they haven't even been able to take lesser-known ideas to the mainstream, for example:
  • Sony, a 10x smaller company, is leading the charge with VR in the console industry with state-of-the-art tech and features. While Xbox, with the infinite war chest and ~25 studios, is too scared to jump into the VR space (even after years of fake promises that it will).
The only "innovation" by Xbox in the last 10+ years is to take the Netflix model and copy-paste it into the gaming industry with Gamepass -- which, by the way, is still the least popular gaming subscription service after ~5 years (behind PS+ and Nintendo Online in sub count).

With so much money, Xbox should have been leading the charge with new tech and innovations for the gaming industry. And the lack of innovation and contribution should be called out by the media and gaming fans more.
You don't like 500 different colored controllers?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Dont anyone come in with that 20 years/XB live innovation shit either. Easy to stand on the shoulders of giants after Sega laid the groundwork.

Where's the gif of the girl tickling the tiger on kinnectimals with Shawn Michaels miming fellatio in the background. That's MS' contribution to gaming and fans reaction to wait until next e3.

Edit: I need to go cook food or something. Still disappointed over Sony not securing SuperMassive

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
You don't like 500 different colored controllers?

"You get a color, you get a color"

Oprah Lol GIF by Amy Poehler's Smart Girls

• party
  • haha
Reactions: Bo_Hazem and Sircaw

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Well they brought paid online to us all....

They were also the very first console manufacturer to launch a new console without any games, I think.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
This thread on the other website would be a pure chaos. The truth is, Microsoft ran PC and Xbox as a hobby because they were busy trying to chase away Google, Apple....

They added more bad stuff/trends than the other console makers, they can do it because their business does not depends mostly on gaming, unlike Nintendo and Sony.

Funny enough no matter what happens they Xbox will still be around, they have the money, they have a very loyal fanbase who is so used to be neglected that will praise and rejoice to any hint of positive things by xbox.

Also Microsoft only moved in the gaming business more seriously after Amazon, Google etc show interest in the industry, so MS is trying to prevent competition.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This thread on the other website would be a pure chaos. The truth is, Microsoft ran PC and Xbox as a hobby because they were busy trying to chase away Google, Apple....

They added more bad stuff/trends than the other console makers, they can do it because their business does not depends mostly on gaming, unlike Nintendo and Sony.

Funny enough no matter what happens they Xbox will still be around, they have the money, they have a very loyal fanbase who is so used to be neglected that will praise and rejoice to any hint of positive things by xbox.

Also Microsoft only moved in the gaming business more seriously after Amazon, Google etc show interest in the industry, so MS is trying to prevent competition.

Back in the late 90's and first few years of the 2000's I was on PC and I LOVED C&C and several other games that were really symbolic of PC gaming, it had such a strong identity.

Games like Operation Flashpoint, Homeworld and Jagged Alliance that you just wouldn't get on console back then...

Unfortunately Microsofts move into consoles either killed or changed a lot of these franchises to the point they were not enjoyable for me anymore.... to COD-ified. Too much casual stuff pushed into niche games to make them more marketable.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
You want innovation from the guys that still don't include a rechargeable battery with their $50 gamepad?

Their fans are satisfied with what they are getting why should they bother?

Xbox is always about minimum effort, the only thing they seem to bother with are silly things for show like custom controller, controllers with fur, Series X mini freezer, special editions that look terrible and so on.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
Would not count it as an innovation but I wish we had replaceable batteries in PS controllers. Other than that Microsoft entering the console market has been a net negative. Paying to play online,I don't know how they got away with that.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

The only thing I would give them credit for is their adaptive controller, they have made real strides in making gaming more accessible to people with disabilities. Before this there were 3rd party devices, but support was shabby and the controllers and switch boxes etc were a ridiculous price.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
It is pretty crazy to think the xbox series controller is technically less advanced than the PS3 controller.

Just no effort or innovation at all. They have the worst controller on the market, it's bested by the Switch Pro controller, and then the Dualsense is a firm #1 right now.

It's time for a ground up redesign for xbox, imo. and of course stop it with the phantom black, ghost black, crimson black-black, red-black crimson black phantom elite #2, Ghost black phantom black red black technical force recon black 2 controller variations.

it's enough already.

Reactions: nominedomine

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Did you tell tommib about this place yet? They are banning more and more people everyday 😤

Play Anywhere
Game Pass
Quick Resume
Smart Delivery
Cloud Computing
Enhanced Backward Compatability
Adaptive Controller
DXR
VRS

I mean are you clowns for real lmao?
???

Sony did all that before with PS Now and you could also cross-buy and cross-save back in the PS3/Vita days. BC on PS2 and PS3.

Even cross-buy with Steam for Valve games. Game streaming on Samsung TVs, remote play on mobile, vita and PS3.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: arvfab and Cragarmi

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Play Anywhere
Game Pass
Quick Resume
Smart Delivery
Cloud Computing
Adaptive Controller
DXR
VRS

Play anywhere is just cross buy extended, Sony did it with vita and ps4, not an innovatuon
Game pass is Netflix movie model, not an innovation and it’s really bad
Quick Resume I can give you that but who cares
Smart delivery is not really innovative, is it? This exists on smartphones for years
Did MS create cloud computing?
Enhanced BC exists since the PS2 lol
Adaptativa controller ok
Did MS create VRS?
Microsoft didn’t create RT
Why are you insulting people?

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Play Anywhere
Game Pass
Quick Resume
Smart Delivery
Cloud Computing
Adaptive Controller
DXR
VRS

pretty much everything on that list (sans the adaptive controller) is useless, or bad for the industry and videogames.

People don't want MS 's unexclusiveless, digital-only gamepass future filled with streaming cloud games.

especially not when they prioritize PC and PC gamers.

Cragarmi

Moderator- From the United Kingdom
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Play Anywhere
Game Pass
Quick Resume
Smart Delivery
Cloud Computing
Adaptive Controller
DXR
VRS

Wow you really will swallow any buzz word MS will sell you huh? Most of that list existed before MS gave it a buzz word. The adaptive controller is the only thing worth it on this list, which I have already praised them for in an earlier thread.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

pretty great video that touches on why 'smart delivery' is anything but. this is a huge blow to physical games ownership and consumer rights.

thanks microsoft. still trying to bully and strongarm their way into a digital-only, always online future all these years later, just dolling it up with flashy buzzwords to mask their true intent.

downright devious.

"DUMB DELIVERY" is what i'll call it from now on.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: nominedomine
Status
Not open for further replies.