Xbox requires sign in to a Microsoft account to play Sea of Thieves on PS5

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Why are people in PSN supported countries who are the vast majority of Helldivers owners having an issue creating a PSN account?

They are the most vocal regarding review bombing, refunds and not wanting to link it.

The issues you mentioned have been resolved. They are getting refunds and those 130 countries no longer can buy the game.
The developers have literally told the helldivers community to review bomb the game, blame Sony. They dropped the ball, even Pilestedt thinks so. He said to direct all blame to Sony.

I am vocal against it because it's bait and switching hundreds of thousands of people. That isn't okay or pro-consumer to do whatsoever. I'm not asking for a refund because I don't need to, but I did leave a negative review as asked by Arrowhead.

Very bleak way of looking at it, Sony isn't doing the refunds, it's Steam forcing them. You think it was okay in the first place to list the game for sale in countries they KNOWINGLY do not support?

Reactions: Yuniac

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
That doesn't do anything for the 125 countries that had people buy the game and now the game is de-listed there.

I'm really sorry for them, but I'm a "glass half-full" guy, these people had a blast playing the game for dozens of hours for basically free as they are now eligible of a refund if they don't want to use a PSN account of another country. The alternative would have been to never have the possibility to play the game, since the requirement should have been enforced from the beginning and the game therefore shouldn't have been sold there at all.

They are not refunding anything, Steam is forcing the refunds.

Who cares? What matters is that those poor souls are getting their money back, right?

You're gonna sit there and defend Sony bait and switching tons of people because of the "log in" issues making it so the linking was optional for a time?

I'm not defending them. In fact, I'm condemning them. They should have released the game exclusively on PlayStation or have enforced the account linking as planned from the beginning. All of these could have been avoided.

At least they are trying their best to fix things.

lacking in empathy or sympathy.

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for all the people who thanks to this change now don't have to play with cheaters anymore (hopefully)!

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Very bleak way of looking at it, Sony isn't doing the refunds, it's Steam forcing them. You think it was okay in the first place to list the game for sale in countries they KNOWINGLY do not support?
Honestly, this alone should stop any sane person in their tracks and make them think for a second to realize that this is a scummy move and it's not right instead of blaming people for not wanting to create 3rd party accounts or calling the outrage fake or whatever.

PC gamers' unity should be something inspiring. Big corporations aren't on your side, they just want your money. You shouldn't celebrate them fucking over regular people who just want to play games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Exicide

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
I'm really sorry for them, but I'm a "glass half-full" guy, these people had a blast playing the game for dozens of hours for basically free as they are now eligible of a refund if they don't want to use a PSN account of another country. The alternative would have been to never have the possibility to play the game, since the requirement should have been enforced from the beginning and the game therefore shouldn't have been sold there at all.

Who cares? What matters is that those poor souls are getting their money back, right?

I'm not defending them. In fact, I'm condemning them. They should have released the game exclusively on PlayStation or have enforced the account linking as planned from the beginning. All of these could have been avoided.

I have a lot of empathy and sympathy for all the people who thanks to this change now don't have to play with cheaters anymore (hopefully)!
"if they don't want to use a PSN account of another country."

This is actually a bannable offense if they find out you faked your region. Which is possible when you link your Steam (real region) to PSN (fake region).

I agree with you that the game should never have been for sale there at all if they were just going to force a PSN account link (which is why several people are angry) several people bought the game without knowing their country wasn't supported by PSN.

"Who cares? What matters is that those poor souls are getting their money back, right?"

Put yourself in their shoes, imagine you have a game you really, really enjoy, just for it to be taken away from you because of poor foresight from Sony. I can guarantee you wouldn't have this same attitude, I mean, you bought the game already, you played it for hours upon hours, and boom, ripped away because Sony knowingly sold in your unsupported country.

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Yep, that's it. That's the whole thing.

I don't see how no longer selling your game in 177 countries is trying their best to fix things or good for business. Unless, you mean allowing people from those countries to play without a PSN, etc. The thing is, they already knew those countries don't have PSN, what a half-assed decision to begin with, so stupid.

OP
OP
xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
PS Players bitched about it? Where?
Exactly. They didn't bitch about it, now you're stuck with that bullshit.

Steam players said "hell no", made a stand and voted with their wallets, which is how you make a company realise they've overstepped the mark.

Now other companies will consider the impact before trying a similar rug pull again.

In the grand scheme of things, this is good for the industry and hope more people call out the corporate bullshit.

The funny thing is, no one can explain WHY there's a need to force a PSN sign in, one that benefits gamers.

Does having to sign in to PSN and steam, or Xbox live and battle.net benefit you? Or is it just another "2 minutes to make a free account"?

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Put yourself in their shoes, imagine you have a game you really, really enjoy, just for it to be taken away from you because of poor foresight from Sony. I can guarantee you wouldn't have this same attitude, I mean, you bought the game already, you played it for hours upon hours, and boom, ripped away because Sony knowingly sold in your unsupported country.
Exactly. The problem is those people here on this website are looking at things from Sony's POV. Not what's the best for the average gamer, no what's best for Sony. How come? Are you a shareholder?

I agree with you that the game should never have been for sale there at all if they were just going to force a PSN account link (which is why several people are angry) several people bought the game without knowing their country wasn't supported by PSN.
I promise you the game wouldn't have been as successful if you had to create and link a PSN account from the start. I can't help but feel it was a "let's sell, then tell them about this later". Though obviuosly I could be wrong.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
You know the answer to that.

See the reaction to Sea of Thieves on PS5 compared to Helldivers 2 on Steam.

SoT didn't let you play for ages without a connected account before forcing you to link or you'll never be able to play again.
Helldivers did, then it got delisted from 125 countries, I know there's a lot of Sony defense here but man, own up to it. Stop the whataboutism.

Steam players said "hell no", made a stand and voted with their wallets, which is how you make a company realise they've overstepped the mark.

Now other companies will consider the impact before trying a similar rug pull again.

In the grand scheme of things, this is good for the industry and hope more people call out the corporate bullshit.

The funny thing is, no one can explain WHY there's a need to force a PSN sign in, one that benefits gamers.

Does having to sign in to PSN and steam, or Xbox live and battle.net benefit you? Or is it just another "2 minutes to make a free account"?

Said in other thread. Reminder : MS account wasn't nedeed in Minecraft until MS introduced a cross platform play on PS. So, what happened? No one bitched about it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Exactly. The problem is those people here on this website are looking at things from Sony's POV. Not what's the best for the average gamer, no what's best for Sony. How come? Are you a shareholder?

I promise you the game wouldn't have been as successful if you had to create and link a PSN account from the start. I can't help but feel it was a "let's sell, then tell them about this later". Though obviuosly I could be wrong.
I completely agree with everything you said, I don't think it would have been as successful either

OP
OP
xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
A whole load of waffle from you.
If it's so unfathomable to you that people have principles and draw lines they won't cross for the sake of slop and vidya, then that tells me a whole lot about the kind of person you are.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024
Said in other thread. Reminder : MS account wasn't nedeed in Minecraft until MS introduced a cross platform play on PS. So, what happened? No one bitched about it
Here's the difference

Sony only supports ~70 countries
Microsoft supports every country except those restricted by U.S Law.
Minecraft wasn't delisted for sale in any country after the change.

OP
OP
xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
This isn't a win. Not bitching about a move that inconveniences you, no matter how big or how small, and just taking it like a good lapdog makes you look weak.

Have you never heard of the saying "give and inch and they'll take a mile"?

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024

Spot on. First, there's no real reason. Clowns said it's for your protection... excuse me, what? How the fuck having my Steam linked to PSN does anything to protect me?

One of their psycho community managers said on twitter (then went on to close their profile) it's so we can ban people more easily... and people here are happy and supporting it. Insane.

Systemshock brought up yesterday how if PS players had said "hell no" to pay to play online over 10 years ago maybe today they wouldn't have to pay for it. I feel sorry for those people how they just accept everythign big corpo does to them. "It just takes 2mins bro"

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

Easy to point finger at someone.

Problem is for people like you what has been said from very beginning. PSN account was required. You ignoring that fact, though. Said to you on other thread :

PC gamers CLEARLY ignored what has been said. Sony launcher was sooo obvious for a long time and they've ignored it completely. That's their problem. Given that it was clearly written at the start that the game would require a PSN account, the people could check based on that and buy or not buy the game... people DON'T READ what is written on Steam and then get surprised when "complications" occur. How transparent from PC gamers

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
Okay. How do people not being mad about MS accounts help your case? Most people already have a MS account because they are on windows already. Unlike PS when most PC gamers don't have a fucking, console to begin with, dude.

And let's just say they are doing this because they don't like Sony, let's just say that for the sake of argument. Okay, they are doing it because of that, so what? It's their platform, their accounts, their decision.

Exicide

2 Feb 2024

Problem is for people like you what has been said from very beginning. PSN account was required. You ignoring that fact, though. Said to you on other thread :

PC gamers CLEARLY ignored what has been said. Sony launcher was sooo obvious for a long time and they've ignored it completely. That's their problem. Given that it was clearly written at the start that the game would require a PSN account, the people could check based on that and buy or not buy the game... people DON'T READ what is written on Steam and then get surprised when "complications" occur. How transparent from PC gamers
stop this bs excuse already.

Sony knowingly sold in countries they did NOT support PSN with and then delisted the game from those countries MONTHS after release. Stop defending Sony, hold them accountable, this is scummy behavior on their part.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
This isn't a win. Not bitching about a move that inconveniences you, no matter how big or how small, and just taking it like a good lapdog makes you look weak.

Have you never heard of the saying "give and inch and they'll take a mile"?

No one bitched about it. That's the point. But of course you do because it is PlayStation. Talking about being weak, you are whining, not me. Never did.

• fire
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024

Dude, please understand that 'required' but not 'enforced' is not truly requried. Again, why sell the game in countries where said 'required' thing cannot be legally created? Please tell me you see how scummy that is.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Okay. How do people not being mad about MS accounts help your case? Most people already have a MS account because they are on windows already. Unlike PS when most PC gamers don't have a fucking, console to begin with, dude.

And let's just say they are doing this because they don't like Sony, let's just say that for the sake of argument. Okay, they are doing it because of that, so what? It's their platform, their accounts, their decision.

HYPOCRISY, dude, HYPOCRISY. Be hypocrites.