Xbox's cancerous effect on consoles and monetisation

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I hope, for the sake of gaming, ABK deal will be shut down and m$ will go out of console gaming for good.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
The market moves on. Netflix changed the game, and their model is only failing because (and the same will happen with games) the very studios which supply the content which drives subscriptions, will ultimately break off an do their own thing. That's called competition. Netflix failed to ensure that it had enough content which was strong enough to drive and maintain subs. Once the competition came onto the scene it became much harder... yet we know the model was successful because of all the other services that popped up after it.

Ultimately.. the market decides what works and what doesn't. If it moves towards the gamepass model, it's because it will serve the interest of the consumer. If it doesn't, then it will fail. Microsoft has the pockets to push the industry in that direction... but they don't have the content people desire yet.

I think there's room enough for both models to coincide in the gaming industry.
Yes and no, it is harder for we to move to the gamepass model because there is not 1 service with all of the content, something that netflix had from his inception. The main plus of Netflix was easy acess and convenience. The same cannot be said of gamepass, it is "praised" because it is "free" so all these comparisons does not work.

But it can work if MS tries to buy everything and make it available on gamepass... I just do not expect them to make any money, so I have no idea why they are even doing it.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Yes and no, it is harder for we to move to the gamepass model because there is not 1 service with all of the content, something that netflix had from his inception. The main plus of Netflix was easy acess and convenience. The same cannot be said of gamepass, it is "praised" because it is "free" so all these comparisons does not work.

But it can work if MS tries to buy everything and make it available on gamepass... I just do not expect them to make any money, so I have no idea why they are even doing it.
They will make money by laying the path for everything to become GAAS and making bank on monetisation

In Microsofts dream scenario they are leading / control the majority of content, and everything is eventually accessible only on Gamepass. That means they are paying a set fee for licensing the game and then make all the royalties on ingame monetisation. Like Fortnite F2P but it's every game. And every dev will need to design games that way because they will only make so much off of the licensing fee

• they're_right_you_know

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Honestly think it's Herman
Yeah kinda, he is more into multiplayer, something that Sony lacks. They are just looking at the rest of the industry, same thing happened when they did released tons of free to play games. As long Playstation do not abandon their identity ( making good games, focus on quality ) I think it is ok. Because let's face it, Playstation is the only one trying new IPs and new ideas, the rest of the industry is creatively soulless.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Suicide Squad looks like dogshit. Gameplay is Fortnite meets crackdown but without a PvP component. So you just have an open world sandbox and Fortnite gunplay… no endgame. No character builds.

Game is a goner without PvP. Even then… it would need a shit ton of characters and abilities and customization. Skins ain’t it.

WB knocked it out of the park with Harry Potter and MK12 is gonna def bitchslap both Tekken 8 and SF6 (I am huge street fighter fan but that’s the reality of things) but this game?

It’s gonna be Anthem’d. Might have a decent launch because of capeshit stooges but that’s it. One month and then it’s DEAD.

Sigh… after seeing shit like Outriders, Halo Infinite, Division 2, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Avengers, Arkham Knights and now this… man they should’ve went with that anthem reboot.

OUTRIDERS FUCKING SUCKEDDDDDD. Absolutely painful slog

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
They will make money by laying the path for everything to become GAAS and making bank on monetisation

In Microsofts dream scenario they are leading / control the majority of content, and everything is eventually accessible only on Gamepass. That means they are paying a set fee for licensing the game and then make all the royalties on ingame monetisation. Like Fortnite F2P but it's every game. And every dev will need to design games that way because they will only make so much off of the licensing fee
I know I was being scarcastic about that, tons of people still view and praise MS as the good company, an entity that is here to do charity to us poor gamers. It is more than clear that MS have an agenda to control everything.

Fenton

Veteran
22 Feb 2023
They have a goal since 2001

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
They have a goal since 2001

Yeah I remember that story, I was being sarcastic, because most people cannot see MS true goals - to be disruptive and gain control by any means necessary.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
That doesn't make any sense... Cinemas don't have anything to do with physical copies of movies.. Blockbuster literally depended on physical rentals/sales of movies.. and that's exactly the market Netflix disrupted.. and literally put them out of business because they failed to adapt.
Netflix, as well as Youtube, disrupted the consumption of everything we watch. The introduction of relatively cheap, on demand, low friction video content of all kind means that having to go out to get a DVD or sit in a theatre is something a lot of people will not consider unless there is something truly special going on.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Sony had DLC/MTX dating back to PS2 with SOCOM. And neither Sony or MS has done anything as shitty as Amiibo. No one is innocent in milking their games for money and most of this stuff is not related to Xbox or even accurate.

What is the worst example of monetization you guys have personally experienced in games? My top three:

1. Last of Us factions, started as an incredible tactical shooter and ended up as a shank/smoke bomb parade after ND ruined the meta with loads of MTX and some crappy pay to win stuff.

2. Shadow of War, they took a great foundation in Shadow of Mordor and added all kinds of fucking nonsense so they could sell you MTX. Because of this I boycotted it until they removed all MTX from the game.

3. Forza 6, same as above. Added all kinds of MTX and altered the economy to push people to MTX and loot boxes. Boycotted 6 and 7 until they were removed. Now that I think of it, 7 might have launched with no loot boxes, I forget.

Overall I think most games handle monetization fine. But a few bad apples, etc.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: peter42O

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Microsoft wants to kill the retail and buy to play model. They dream of a Game Pass future where all the publishers put their games on the service because they have no other choice.

Sony is trying to resist that model but if the regulators don't stop MS, there is nothing they can do.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm gonna be honest... all these practices would still have been introduced without xbox. Even if it might have come a little later. Companies have been inventing ways to nickel and dime customers for ever.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero and peter42O
OP
OP
Yobo

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sony had DLC/MTX dating back to PS2 with SOCOM. And neither Sony or MS has done anything as shitty as Amiibo. No one is innocent in milking their games for money and most of this stuff is not related to Xbox or even accurate.

What is the worst example of monetization you guys have personally experienced in games? My top three:

1. Last of Us factions, started as an incredible tactical shooter and ended up as a shank/smoke bomb parade after ND ruined the meta with loads of MTX and some crappy pay to win stuff.

2. Shadow of War, they took a great foundation in Shadow of Mordor and added all kinds of fucking nonsense so they could sell you MTX. Because of this I boycotted it until they removed all MTX from the game.

3. Forza 6, same as above. Added all kinds of MTX and altered the economy to push people to MTX and loot boxes. Boycotted 6 and 7 until they were removed. Now that I think of it, 7 might have launched with no loot boxes, I forget.

Overall I think most games handle monetization fine. But a few bad apples, etc.
SOCOM 2? No it didn't. They released some extra maps for free via the PlayStation magazine demo discs. Not really what we are talking about is it?

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
Suicide Squad looks like dogshit. Gameplay is Fortnite meets crackdown but without a PvP component. So you just have an open world sandbox and Fortnite gunplay… no endgame. No character builds.

Game is a goner without PvP. Even then… it would need a shit ton of characters and abilities and customization. Skins ain’t it.

WB knocked it out of the park with Harry Potter and MK12 is gonna def bitchslap both Tekken 8 and SF6 (I am huge street fighter fan but that’s the reality of things) but this game?

It’s gonna be Anthem’d. Might have a decent launch because of capeshit stooges but that’s it. One month and then it’s DEAD.

Sigh… after seeing shit like Outriders, Halo Infinite, Division 2, Ghost Recon: Breakpoint, Avengers, Arkham Knights and now this… man they should’ve went with that anthem reboot.

Hard disagree on Outriders. That shit was fun.
And you mean Gotham Knights.

P

peter42O

I agree and disagree with your post here. I loved Outriders, Halo Infinite campaign and especially Division 2 which four years after release, I still play. Ghost Recon Breakpoint was trash and I dropped it fast despite being a Ubisoft fanboy, bought Avengers and loved the opening few missions but once the loot kicks in, I just couldn't continue it and while I finished Gotham Knights, I do think Avengers from what I played was the better game.

Suicide Squad is basically Gotham Knights but with better visuals and probably better combat. The issue is that for superhero games, they don't need loot, gear scores, etc. At most, they should be like Batman Arkham or Spider Man. You gain XP, level up in order to get skill points and just make your abilities and gadgets that you should already have stronger and better.

The best live service setup to me is give me a great base game, a few paid expansions for a year or two and maybe some free season content but I don't care about daily and weekly stuff. As I said earlier, I love The Division 2 but the seasonal content has gotten stale and boring but I would love a new Warlords of NY type expansion and yes, I would buy it day one.

There are some live service games im very much looking forward to - Redfall and Diablo IV are the two big ones for me. Difference with me is that I prefer to play less games every year but those I really love and enjoy, I rather play more of instead of playing other games that I may not be into at all.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
That all happened MUCH later... after digital took over.

We're still far away from anything like that regarding games.. Games will still mostly be downloaded and played locally from hardware.

GamePass is like Netflix putting Blockbuster out of business... Less dependency on physical sales, more convenience.

The evolution of xCloud will be the gaming equivalent of Netflix changing the consumption habits of movies and how they are delivered/monetized/designed compared to Cinema.
The funny thing its you must feel smart using all these examples, two different industries and i Still ser Mothertruckas using the Nexflix example, its laughable