Xbox’s Spencer Sees Progress Toward Activision Deal Approval, says he expects that console exclusives are something "we're just going to see less"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
That's fair, because the point is -- whether his decisions are popular or not -- Jimbo walks the talk.

If he says that his games want a bigger audience, he takes steps to get to that goal -- releasing on PC and bringing IPs to mobile devices.

Phil only lies. He talks about less exclusive games and letting people where they want and what device they want and not gatekeeping, and then chooses to buy multiplatform publishers and make previously multiplatform games exclusives.

But with COD for instance, I really don't see them ever gate keeping that series, ever. maybe some exclusive content via gamepass or something. But that game will forever be on PlayStation.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
But with COD for instance, I really don't see them ever gate keeping that series, ever. maybe some exclusive content via gamepass or something. But that game will forever be on PlayStation.
Yes, out of necessity though. FTC would never have approved it otherwise, so they had to say it. Besides, it wouldn't make financial sense for them to stop supporting the community that is responsible for the highest sales of that game year after year.

That doesn't mean that Phil hasn't created more exclusives this generation by acquiring 20+ studios in the last four years, including publishers like Bethesda. That's why when he lies about wanting to make games more accessible for everyone regardless of console and fewer exclusives, it's all bullshit for some fake PR and snake oil.

P

peter42O

I believe that new releases will be exclusive to Xbox eco-system as they should be. Nadella didn't spend $70B just to keep shit the same. And outside of GTA, COD is the biggest gaming IP that can actually create a paradigm shift and give Microsoft and Xbox a legitimate edge. All the previously released games will always be available for sale on PlayStation.

No one notices that just like with Bethesda, Microsoft has never said PlayStation will get COD 2025 or COD 2028. It's because they know they're not. No one ever reads the wording or anything. It's the same shit as Bethesda. Almost word for word. What's really funny is that Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be exclusive to the Xbox eco-system but yet, people believe that COD which is far bigger than both of those combined would somehow someway go on PlayStation? Like, why? How does that do anything for Microsoft and Xbox platform? All that does is benefit Sony.

If anything, people just can't handle the fact that Microsoft isn't fucking around anymore and it scares them. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a long generation for PlayStation fans. lol

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I believe that new releases will be exclusive to Xbox eco-system as they should be. Nadella didn't spend $70B just to keep shit the same. And outside of GTA, COD is the biggest gaming IP that can actually create a paradigm shift and give Microsoft and Xbox a legitimate edge. All the previously released games will always be available for sale on PlayStation.

No one notices that just like with Bethesda, Microsoft has never said PlayStation will get COD 2025 or COD 2028. It's because they know they're not. No one ever reads the wording or anything. It's the same shit as Bethesda. Almost word for word. What's really funny is that Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be exclusive to the Xbox eco-system but yet, people believe that COD which is far bigger than both of those combined would somehow someway go on PlayStation? Like, why? How does that do anything for Microsoft and Xbox platform? All that does is benefit Sony.

If anything, people just can't handle the fact that Microsoft isn't fucking around anymore and it scares them. One thing is for sure, it's going to be a long generation for PlayStation fans. lol
Actually, they have. You must have missed it.

"Microsoft will continue to make Call of Duty and other popular Activision Blizzard titles available on PlayStation through the term of any existing agreement with Activision. And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8448...ty-games-coming-to-playstation-too/index.html

Another quote:
"That acquisition, I think, is a clear indicator of what we hope to do if we acquire Activision Blizzard,” explains Smith. “Invest even more in innovation, bring it to more people, bring it to more platforms [Nintendo], and make it even more useful and hopefully delightful for the people who use it.” -- The Verge

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This guy. I hate him
He tries to make its seem like he is doing his business to save gamers and to help the people!!!
What a joke. And people believe him.
Turns out you can lie and do anything as long as you say stuff like “we all play” ….
And people say jimbo is bad. At least jimbo is transparent and not slippery

Reactions: BigMclargeHuge
P

peter42O

Actually, they have. You must have missed it.

They mean that they will be keeping all the older games on PlayStation. Like with Bethesda, they won't delist anything. Microsoft is saying what they have to. It's that simple. Not once does Microsoft ever mention NEW FUTURE RELEASES. Not a single time. Just because they say they want to keep COD on PlayStation doesn't mean that includes COD 2030 or some shit. And technically, as long as they don't delist anything which they won't, they're technically keeping COD on PlayStation.

You firmly believe that new future releases of COD will be available on PlayStation and I firmly believe that they won't be so we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bernd Lauert

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Exactly. Getting Lies of P day one on Game Pass is a great move because it's a genre that's hot right now, small studio that could easily use extra funds and shows that Microsoft is willing to work with foreign developers and publishers.

Yep, and I also said them able to offer Elden Ring among other games for Series S buyers to get for "free" was another smart move, tho I still question why Series S needs that type of push in August unless either the numbers are low or they feel numbers in the holiday shopping season could be suppressed by Sony and Nintendo stuff at that time.

Still though, it's association with a genre that's now mainstream. I do think Sony have something cooking with FromSoft though, maybe in collaboration with Blue Point. I'd be shocked if they didn't or haven't for a couple years by now.

Your theory is a good one but thus far, hasn't happened yet. I see it to where as long as the publisher gets enough money upfront and a percentage of money based on downloads to offset the potential lost sales, I don't think it would affect anything on a major level. As long as the publisher is getting money, they don't care where it comes from or from who.

I don't think this holds true for every studio. Some studios don't want their money to be beholden to a single platform holder via an upfront advance, which is what the lump sum GamePass deals are. At some point, if MS's 1P gets really rolling, and they need less reliance on 3P games in GP, then teams that have managed sweetheart upfront deals in the past can find themselves in trouble if they now have to generate money by selling directly to their customers.

Because what if those customers aren't there, especially on certain platforms, because they took GamePass money in the past all the time? What if they didn't garner enough actual fans even with the GamePass money? It means they may've built only a small audience of partially dedicated fans through the service, which could not be enough for the IP to stand on its own if in case GamePass isn't something they can rely on in the future.

On the other side, day one in a subscription service can also increase your sales because the consumer gets to play it first and if they like it, they may buy it. Overall, I think it evens out but also depends on each individual game. Take Saints Row for example. I think sales will be decent because there's just nothing new releasing until September but let's say it flops or if it was releasing later in the Fall, a Game Pass deal or even PlayStation Plus would greatly benefit the game especially since it can be played entirely in co-op.

The bolded hasn't really happened for most of the bigger games, though. Some of the smaller indie games? Absolutely, but there are even some which have done very badly in sales while going to GamePass Day 1. We haven't seen Halo Infinite being in GamePass lead to a substantial increase in that game's sales. We haven't seen similar for FH5, either.

Saint's Row, I don't know if that's the best example, because that's the pure definition of a "mid" game being saved financially by GamePass money from Microsoft. It's a lifeline made out of money, basically, if it were to go into the service. Same if it ended up on Sony's service. That may build goodwill between the platform holder, Embracer and the game developer for future deals and whatnot, but it creates a further perception problem for the service among critics of it being a breeding ground for middling content.

Which on the one hand can be argued against if you want to go by MetaCritics purely, because IIRC most GamePass games are a 78 MC or higher. But it's also fair to say that a lot of those games are regardless not appealing to the mainstream or have a very specific niche, I don't know if those types of niches serve a subscription service the same way they would an actual console, however, and you still need the big AAA games there Day 1 to help carry them which GamePass hasn't had much of since late last year and one of those in particular (Halo) you can arguably say is effectively dead for the short-term.

I don't see having a game on Game Pass as being exclusive because you still need to invest into that brand, platform and eco-system and because it's still available on the other platform. Whenever Sony/Microsoft get a game into their subscription service day one, it of course would be "exclusive" to theirs because what would be the point in paying for that if your competition could do the exact same thing for the exact same game at the same exact time? There would be no benefit.

I'm 100% in favor of console exclusives but I agree with you in regards to Phil. Sometimes, the Microsoft guys including Phil should just keep quiet in my opinion.

Going back to Lies of P, I think it'd of been an even bigger play if MS paid more on the top to test putting the game into GamePass exclusively for a month or so, then do digital/physical Xbox releases when it also comes out for PS consoles. They've already tested the inverse with Forza Horizon 5, but testing it the opposite way would be a good test for what the service could do on its own merits.

Just how many people are willing to sub if the game is exclusive for a month or two? BTW I've also thought that Sony could do something similar, if they want to bring back smaller indie/AA games based on legacy IP; put them in PS+ either exclusively or with digital copies purchasable at launch, then a month or so later do digital release and/or physical release for games where they deem that worthwhile. Could even just skip right to collector's physical copies if they wanted.

True. I think MS is now flexing its money and actively trying to change the industry a bit ( subscription model being one of them )
No1 before has made acquisitions Microsoft is doing with Bethesda and Activision and the other studios and IP/s etc

Well, other companies have in fact purchased publishers (Sony with Psygnosis), and dev studios (again Sony's done it, Nintendo's done it as well, I think Sega purchased a few before leaving as a platform holder).

The difference is none of them did so many of those type of moves either at the scale of Zenimax/ABK, or in as short a time frame as Microsoft have done them. I mean think about it; in the past 3 1/2 years they've purchased, what, eight individual developers (Ninja Theory, Obsidian, inXile, Compulsion, Playground Games, Double Fine and maybe a couple others?), purchased Zenimax who came with a ton of their own studios (iD Software, Bethesda, Tango, the Arkane studios, etc.), and now ABK with a ton of their own studios (Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Volition Games, Toys for Bob, King, etc.).

They've gone from just five internal studios to 30+ in just 3.5 years, more or less. That's rapid growth and I'd argue them growing in teams too quickly, it's that rate of expansion we've never seen companies like Sony, Nintendo etc. do and part of that is because their 1P was never in such a comparatively poor state where they needed such massive rapid growth in order to feel like they could compete effectively.

That's a little silly of an argument. If a consumer can access the game, they can access a game. I can access a game on PS, Xbox, and PC.. well. it's a pretty available game from a consumer standpoint.

Phil's doublespeak really just boils down to: MS is absolutely making games exclusive to Xbox and not releasing them on Playstation.

Don't know why it's so difficult for him to just say this, then. CEOs in the past would have no problem stating the obvious. I know it's for looking good in regulator's eyes, but then why not just say what's going to stay multiplat and what's going to go exclusive, and continuously state that as the obvious?

They have their "every game on PC" approach that they can always use to claim no device-exclusivity but it's pretty BS as the console space should be treated differently.

Agreed.

Their "gotcha/out" on it they repeat over and over Gamepass .. a total non-starter, but they say "Well we'd love to have this game on that platform if they let Gamepass on the platform" (which will never happen, and they know it.)

That's the shtick they are screaming about for regulators ears.. and it's an excuse that is BS, but will probably work.

It's also tricking a lot of people into thinking MS is going to keep everyone multi-plat... I wouldn't buy that for a second. After contracts are up, expect MS to seriously consider making all Acti-Bliz games Xbox + PC exclusive with them repeating the "Well it's also on Gamepass anyone w/ a phone can get it via xCloud, and gee we wish Sony/Nintendo would let us launch there."

But MS have already come out and said they're going to keep COD multiplat including on PlayStation. Hell, they even teased about bringing COD to the Switch. They also said that IP already established on other platforms will continue to stay that way, which would include COD, Crash, Spyro, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk etc.

Of course the nature of what that actually means is up for debate, but MS knows gamers are reading these statements during proceedings and the vast majority of gamers are going to assume that means new games in those IP, not legacy entries already made available. They're also on record as saying they don't think COD could be financially viable if it were not available on other platforms like PlayStation. Again, whether they meant standalone COD or Warzone-like COD is always up for debate, but it's MS who are out here putting up these mixed messages :/

MS thought they can compete with Sony and Nintendo selling games and consoles so will try to do their "Netflix of the videogames" hoping that as happened in music and cinema the market moves to subscriptions and that one big sub will dominate the market.

Well, so far the market didn't change a shit

MS basically ran before they walked. If they felt the need to buy studios in 2018 to strengthen their 1P output, and in 2020 with Zenimax for the same reasons, and again in 2022 with ABK for yet again the same thing, something back in 2018 should've told them to maybe ensure those teams and the 5 already under their wing were up to a point where they could deliver that really high-quality content at a regular cadence.

At that point, pushing GamePass would've paid off in dividends. But they have instead been heavily pushing the service when the content in terms of 1P content to truly drive its growth, is still mostly lacking. The only thing they really have served strongly in that regard from 2020 to going into 2023 will be racers and RTS.

Yes, it does affect “certain customers”. That being customers of games that are less popular, on all platforms.

Cross play is a convenience in a game like Fortnite or Call of Duty on any platform. Cross play is a necessity for a game like Evil Dead on any platform.

Also you’re putting too much weight on this behind the ActivisionBlizzard purchase. MS has been singing this tune for years and years.

A game like Evil Dead doesn't necessarily need cross-play. And, you're still going to have lots of players who opt out of playing with people on certain platforms if the option is there.

Well... Wii, PS3, DS and PSP were there.

360 had a good start because PS3 debuted almost 2 years after 360 on the biggest PS market, it was too fucking expensive and had many issues more and with Sony also busy with its portable, but as usual MS ended third. It also did help to MS that due to rising costs every generation, many big publishers needed to go multi to grow their revenue, so Xbox received many big IPs that until then were exclusive to other consoles. And well,, that generation also saw the most successful Nintendo and Sony portables ever so could also be included in the market share.

Sony had their weakest gen regarding home consoles specially with that awful start, but if we also count their portable the generation wasn't that bad at all for them.

Nah, PS3 was a pretty harsh gen for Sony when talking financials. It's the reason they were at least somewhat considering exiting from consoles, at least that's what apparently was a rumor at the time. This was probably around 2009/2010 I'd guess. I'm not even sure if they ever turned a profit overall because PS3 R&D as well as losses on production costed them all their PS1 & PS2 profits. That's bad no matter what way you look at it.

360's profits that gen are overstated FWIW, they still had to account for RROD for example. But they definitely made huge gains in the US and UK markets and we saw the benefits of that even during XBO gen where you'd think PS4 would've curbstomped XBO in NA that gen, but it was a lot closer than it had any right to be. UK was a different story; XBO got obliterated in that market and that should've happened in NA but for whatever reason it didn't. And FWIW, MS did get quite a few AAA exclusives that gen in spite of rising dev costs, like the entire Mass Effect trilogy at one point, plus the original Gears of War games, Oblivion (they could've always ported it to PS3 later), etc.

Ironically I think it's the Japanese 3P devs who basically leveraged 360 as a way to secure money for the PS3 version of their games which usually felt like the "real" versions, and were the ones that always performed better in Japan. Think there's even one example where this was explicitly seen to be the case, might've been with Ni No Kuni.

I think where one can debate where Sony takes it over 360 for that gen is the ending 1P exclusives, 3P exclusives (most of them from Japanese teams), the PS3 OS, EyeToy & PS Move (for motion controls; Sony's approach ended up more geared for core games while Kinect was dominated by casual/mass-market stuff quickly), and hardware innovations with the Cell architecture (Cell was better than the CPUs in PS4 and XBO in some ways), fully-featured media integration (in quite a few ways still better than PS4 and even PS5 today), Blu-Ray, etc.

Plus in the end Sony won the hearts & minds of the hardcore/core gamers while Microsoft squandered almost every advantage they had with 360 the following gen (tho they did have a better launch lineup in general with XBO than Sony had with PS4).

Reactions: Kokoloko

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They mean that they will be keeping all the older games on PlayStation. Like with Bethesda, they won't delist anything. Microsoft is saying what they have to. It's that simple. Not once does Microsoft ever mention NEW FUTURE RELEASES. Not a single time. Just because they say they want to keep COD on PlayStation doesn't mean that includes COD 2030 or some shit. And technically, as long as they don't delist anything which they won't, they're technically keeping COD on PlayStation.

You firmly believe that new future releases of COD will be available on PlayStation and I firmly believe that they won't be so we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
lol this does not refer to older/existing games. It is for new games.

If you believe this is for existing games, what do you think "existing agreements" mean here? What type of existing agreements those older games like Advanced Warfare or Vanguard or Black Ops would have? And what would "beyond" those agreements for older games even mean?

And we have committed to Sony that we will also make them available on PlayStation beyond the existing agreement and into the future so that Sony fans can continue to enjoy the games they love."

Edit: And there is also this more recent quote, taken from court documents:

"Regardless of how unsurprising Sony‘s criticism of content exclusivity is – given that PlayStation’s entire strategy has been centred on exclusivity over the years – the reality is that the strategy of retaining Activision Blizzard’s games by not distributing them in rival console shops would simply not be profitable for Microsoft." -- Source

Honestly, they could not be more specific and clear about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: peter42O

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022

They bought it to make money. These businesses already do make money under the current sales model.

The equation is simple, is there More to be made by not selling on the Sony platform, arguably the largest customer base, in the hopes of moving that user base to your own platform and not losing out.

Of course there are also hybrid approaches with timed exclusivity for example, or day one on gamepass while retaining status quo elsewhere. Or free skins only on Xbox etc.

It’s not just down to one of two possible outcomes. MS could have pulled Minecraft from Sony after that investment, why not? They did the numbers and a bigger audience must have been more profitable.

Reactions: peter42O

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Whats asinine about all this is the company thats in third place in every metric is talking like theyre the game industry standard and one to follow. They cannot even do the most fundamental job of a game company which is release polished games in reasonable cadences, but phil is going to tell sony and nintendo how to conduct business.
Xbox isn't on third place. Keep up.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Nah, PS3 was a pretty harsh gen for Sony when talking financials. It's the reason they were at least somewhat considering exiting from consoles, at least that's what apparently was a rumor at the time. This was probably around 2009/2010 I'd guess. I'm not even sure if they ever turned a profit overall because PS3 R&D as well as losses on production costed them all their PS1 & PS2 profits. That's bad no matter what way you look at it.
360's profits that gen are overstated FWIW, they still had to account for RROD for example.

In the early years of PS3 it was a financial disater due to insane R&D costs, but they kept reducing them and in its second half turned them into profit. They never considered exiting from consoles. It was the MS stakeholders the one who asked MS to leave gaming or at least consoles becase after so many years the gaming division kept losing billions.

But they definitely made huge gains in the US and UK markets and we saw the benefits of that even during XBO gen where you'd think PS4 would've curbstomped XBO in NA that gen, but it was a lot closer than it had any right to be. UK was a different story; XBO got obliterated in that market and that should've happened in NA but for whatever reason it didn't. And FWIW, MS did get quite a few AAA exclusives that gen in spite of rising dev costs, like the entire Mass Effect trilogy at one point, plus the original Gears of War games, Oblivion (they could've always ported it to PS3 later), etc.
Sony always had Japan and Europe on their side. PS3 started too late compared to 360 specially in Europe, but launch aligned PS3 was always ahead of 360 specially thanks to Europe.

Many of these games started as exclusive (later got ported) because PS3 didn't exist when released. Former exclusives from both sides went multi due to rising costs.

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
They're ahead in revenue and thus marketshare 🤷‍♂️
at-least-you-tried-trash.gif

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
A game like Evil Dead doesn't necessarily need cross-play. And, you're still going to have lots of players who opt out of playing with people on certain platforms if the option is there.

Yes it does. Otherwise the queue times become unbearable. These are the games cross play benefits out of necessity. Another one is Hunt Showdown or Hood: Outlaws and Legends. Evolve, Battleborn, etc.

Anyone who thinks MS is embracing cross play out of pity for their smaller user base doesn’t know what they are talking about. The games cross play actually benefits have small player bases everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.