@yosp already working to get Palworld onto PlayStation

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
2:1 is very optimistic. We're looking at close to 3:1 especially if they come out with new hardware in 2026 like is being rumored.

I don't think it's very optimistic. Just where they're going to normally be moving forward. The only way I see that changing is releasing their console a year earlier than Sony. I know the rumors of 2026 are out there but if that happens, the sales comparison ends unless Microsoft is still manufacturing Series consoles which I seriously doubt. They go that early, the Series consoles will get discontinued by the Fall and next gen releases in November 2026 if the rumors are true. I would go with November 2027 personally but that's just me.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
You have to be joking with the second line right? I've played Palworld last night, leagues ahead of Pokeslop like S&S or S&V which are ugly and perform badly. Speaking of Pokemon the fact the quality other components of the game, e.g. story, haven't really improved in decades is a good example of how little care the franchise owners pay it.
Nintendo will only put effort into anything they do when the paypigs quit paying.

Nintendo fans are in the same boat as Xbots. They don’t ever stop buying the shit they’re presented with and demand better, so they continue getting the same old shit.

Reactions: Nimrota

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I don't think it's very optimistic. Just where they're going to normally be moving forward. The only way I see that changing is releasing their console a year earlier than Sony. I know the rumors of 2026 are out there but if that happens, the sales comparison ends unless Microsoft is still manufacturing Series consoles which I seriously doubt. They go that early, the Series consoles will get discontinued by the Fall and next gen releases in November 2026 if the rumors are true. I would go with November 2027 personally but that's just me.
You need to stop abusing drugs. You are delusional.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
And how exactly does my comment means I'm tripping? I have a PC so I'm actually playing the game either way lol. Stating Sony should drop a dumb supposed policy isn't tripping. How can you want your platform to be the #1 Multiplayer hub, but also refuse to have early access games on your platform? Make it make sense. It's dumb just like their silly policy on mods were last gen.
So allow 5000231942341 garbage games to pollute the store just so you can get access to the extremely rare decent one? Nah keep the policy in place. Steam is already so riddled with that junk that it's hard for actual good games to stand out. Mods are not a similar situation at all

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
So allow 5000231942341 garbage games to pollute the store just so you can get access to the extremely rare decent one? Nah keep the policy in place. Steam is already so riddled with that junk that it's hard for actual good games to stand out. Mods are not a similar situation at all
There's not that many early access console games to begin with. They can also have a quality control process to get games approved for early access. The issue isn't black or white as you're trying to make it. And like I said their mod policy last gen was also dumb. It wasn't a direct comparison.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Their next generation consoles already leaked. 2026 or 2027 (I would go with 2027).

I know the vast majority of you guys are hoping, wishing and praying for Xbox to die and go the Sega route but all any of you do is shit on all of their games so why would you even want that in the first place? Makes no sense. It would be like me wanting Nintendo games despite the fact that Nintendo could live forever or die tomorrow and it changes nothing for me.
midfield + xbotz became bomba combo of the year so hard that it's started to damage your own brain LMAO 🤣. I guess that xbotz going third-party news already pushing you into mental breakdown state 🤣🤣🤣.

24 Jun 2022
There's others but Microsoft has the biggest in Minecraft and a lot of other massive live service games that every company wishes they had. From Forza Horza 5 to Sea of Thieves to Fallout 76 to The Elder Scrolls Online to State of Decay 2 to Halo Infinite to Flight Simulator to the Age of Empires games, they have a ton of them, all successful which is why I put Microsoft as the leaders. It's the one thing that Microsoft nails every time or nearly every time and makes a shit ton of money on them. Add in Call of Duty, Warzone, Warcraft and Diablo and no other company comes close.

It's huge in terms of revenue. It's like sports games. Just prints money. It's insane. Starfield which isn't a live service game has 13M players and is making Microsoft a lot of money and this is before MODS kick in which will be massive. Microsoft isn't concerned about devaluing their console because people like me who are console gamers aren't jumping to PC and those who are on PC aren't going to lessen their experience by switching to a console on a regular full time basis. Microsoft should forever release their games on PC day one because PC is too big of a market to ignore and the PC user base is different than consoles. You release a game a year or two later at full price, vast majority will skip it or pirate it so better off doing day one on PC.

MLB The Show has made Sony a good amount of revenue and profit which should have increased due to being on Xbox, Nintendo and I think it's on PC but not certain about that. Sony should buy one. Locking down games like Genshin, Honkai or even Foamstars (which I think is going to be huge) is a good start but not something they own. With Microsoft now owning ABK and Bethesda, Ubisoft is really the only other major publisher that has a few successful live service games.

I agree with the Early Access aspect. Sony should have Early Access/Game Preview because a lot of companies that are small like to go this way because it gives them funding while also improving the game and getting people into it. So this, I definitely agree with you on.

C'mon...you're reaching with some of these 🤣. Halo Infinite is a has-been and probably a case example of how NOT to handle a live-service game in a once-revered IP franchise. Forza Horizon 5 has a decent userbase (mainly on PC it'd seem), and sales might have also been quite good on PC, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as the major GaaS titles out there.

Flight Simulator is very niche, though it's pretty good quality just like FH5, and it's the only airplane-based simulator on the market these days. AOEs I would not consider a live-service or GaaS title; it's not an annual franchise and AFAIK it isn't an online-centric series. At best it's more a limited live-service but not GaaS/live-service the way we're discussing like a Fortnite or Minecraft. SoD 2 is rather ancient and doesn't have a big player base these days, nor is it a big seller. Again if we're talking in a modern-day context, and focusing specifically on GaaS/live-service, MS are a prominent one but they aren't the leaders in that space. I mean Sony through Aniplex have more of a presence on mobile than any MS studio that wasn't acquired through ABK, and I think that would be indicative of curation leadership and talent in a sense with such IP over time, but that's another topic.

Also I have to say, you're probably vastly overestimating Starfield's player base and revenue pull. By how much we don't know, but again going off Steam estimates they've probably sold ~ 4 million copies there, probably half that at best on Xbox & Windows Store combined.

As for Sony, no AFAIK MLB The Show isn't on PC and you'd think that would have been a priority over ports of games like HFW little after two years of release on the console. They do get money from the game on Xbox and Nintendo, but the Game Pass deal is between MS and the MLB League, so I don't know if Sony gets anything from that. If not, that's their problem. But they do get a cut from the B2P sales on all available platforms.

And yeah I think we both agree Sony do need to acquire some type of big evergreen GaaS/live-service, hence why implementing some (better) form of Early Access on PlayStation would help potentially identify potential games before they become massive, and arrange various deals with them if not acquire the developer & IP (although they should do that as well). It's way easier to experiment with additional GaaS when you have a main moneymaker already under your belt. Part of the partnerships SIE are doing with Korean studios might also play into this. It's a much better strategy than potentially screwing up your 1P traditional games-focused studios with GaaS/live-service pushes that inevitably slow down progress on the traditional games in some form or another.

If I'm wrong on that, then I guess we'll get a reveal for one of Naughty Dog's SP games this year with a release date this year or 2025, as an example.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I agree. I'm saying from a Microsoft point of view. They could use a few of these games and if it was me, I would lock it down.
A few complete rip offs? I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo goes after these guys.

Next up for this company … The Legend of Fitzgerald.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
C'mon...you're reaching with some of these 🤣. Halo Infinite is a has-been and probably a case example of how NOT to handle a live-service game in a once-revered IP franchise. Forza Horizon 5 has a decent userbase (mainly on PC it'd seem), and sales might have also been quite good on PC, but I wouldn't put it in the same league as the major GaaS titles out there.

Forza Horizon 5 has 35M players between Xbox/PC which is far better than decent. Halo Infinite has had a resurgence for about a year once they got the content rolling. They're not individually the best but they don't need to be. Combined, look up all the Microsoft games that I mentioned. The player base is huge and in turn, their revenue and profit is huge from these games because of micro-transactions and whatnot.

Flight Simulator is very niche, though it's pretty good quality just like FH5, and it's the only airplane-based simulator on the market these days. AOEs I would not consider a live-service or GaaS title; it's not an annual franchise and AFAIK it isn't an online-centric series. At best it's more a limited live-service but not GaaS/live-service the way we're discussing like a Fortnite or Minecraft. SoD 2 is rather ancient and doesn't have a big player base these days, nor is it a big seller. Again if we're talking in a modern-day context, and focusing specifically on GaaS/live-service, MS are a prominent one but they aren't the leaders in that space. I mean Sony through Aniplex have more of a presence on mobile than any MS studio that wasn't acquired through ABK, and I think that would be indicative of curation leadership and talent in a sense with such IP over time, but that's another topic.

Flight Simulator is over 12M players as of June 2023 which for a niche title is pretty damn good in my opinion. Age of Empires is perhaps debatable but they do have regular content updates and a steady player base for a genre that's even more niche than Flight Simulator. Plus, don't forget they support all four games so combined, it's just more players in your eco-system.

State of Decay 2 is over 10M as of last year some time which is pretty good since majority of their content is free.

Yeah, Sony had a bigger presence but not anymore. I understand why people want to ignore ABK but the reality is that they're owned by Microsoft now and regardless of anyone's opinion, they count in the mobile space for them. Not only that but I do find it very suspicious when Redfall bombs and it's on Microsoft but yet, own ABK and King will bring them a billion dollars a year or some shit but yet that doesn't seem to count. People try to include the negatives but not the positives where as I include it all good or bad simply because it's all owned by Microsoft. This is also why Microsoft acquired ABK. It was mainly for mobile gaming because with King, Diablo Immortal and COD mobile, they'll be huge to where Microsoft wants to start their own mobile store front which wasn't possible without ABK.

Also I have to say, you're probably vastly overestimating Starfield's player base and revenue pull. By how much we don't know, but again going off Steam estimates they've probably sold ~ 4 million copies there, probably half that at best on Xbox & Windows Store combined.

As for Sony, no AFAIK MLB The Show isn't on PC and you'd think that would have been a priority over ports of games like HFW little after two years of release on the console. They do get money from the game on Xbox and Nintendo, but the Game Pass deal is between MS and the MLB League, so I don't know if Sony gets anything from that. If not, that's their problem. But they do get a cut from the B2P sales on all available platforms.

They announced 13M players. I know Starfield is already massive on Nexus Mods which isn't even official mods. I know people love shitting on the game for some odd reason but if people look up Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in the same time period as opposed to comparing a 4+ month old game to games that have years worth of content, updates and mods, Starfield is actually the more successful game.

MLB not being on PC is surprising since it would do pretty damn well in my opinion. It should have been a priority since it's a live service game for a year until the following year's version releases.

And yeah I think we both agree Sony do need to acquire some type of big evergreen GaaS/live-service, hence why implementing some (better) form of Early Access on PlayStation would help potentially identify potential games before they become massive, and arrange various deals with them if not acquire the developer & IP (although they should do that as well). It's way easier to experiment with additional GaaS when you have a main moneymaker already under your belt. Part of the partnerships SIE are doing with Korean studios might also play into this. It's a much better strategy than potentially screwing up your 1P traditional games-focused studios with GaaS/live-service pushes that inevitably slow down progress on the traditional games in some form or another.

If I'm wrong on that, then I guess we'll get a reveal for one of Naughty Dog's SP games this year with a release date this year or 2025, as an example.

Agreed. Their agreements with the Korean studios mainly NC Soft (if I remember correctly) could potentially be huge for them.

I don't think having their single player studios develop a live service game is the issue. The issue was not growing the studio to support it. Have one team for the single player game and one team for the live service game. There will be studios like Haven that do live service games because that's what they do.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
A few complete rip offs? I wouldn’t be surprised if Nintendo goes after these guys.

Not sure if Nintendo can go after Palworld. It would be up to the Pokemon Company but since they haven't and Nintendo hasn't gone after Square Enix for Splatoon, my guess is that they're different enough to where they can't be sued.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022

They already did and it was called Craftopia🤣

Also on Game Pass. Xbox likes their Nintendo knockoffs 🤣

• haha
Reactions: Dr Bass

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Not sure if Nintendo can go after Palworld. It would be up to the Pokemon Company but since they haven't and Nintendo hasn't gone after Square Enix for Splatoon, my guess is that they're different enough to where they can't be sued.
I don't think Splatoon and Foamstars or whatever it's called are even in the same category as the designs in this game and Pokemon. It's kind of embarrassing.

This is not the kind of thing MS should want to be known for as a platform, hence "locking it down" would be a really stupid idea.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Forza Horizon 5 has 35M players between Xbox/PC which is far better than decent. Halo Infinite has had a resurgence for about a year once they got the content rolling. They're not individually the best but they don't need to be. Combined, look up all the Microsoft games that I mentioned. The player base is huge and in turn, their revenue and profit is huge from these games because of micro-transactions and whatnot.

Flight Simulator is over 12M players as of June 2023 which for a niche title is pretty damn good in my opinion. Age of Empires is perhaps debatable but they do have regular content updates and a steady player base for a genre that's even more niche than Flight Simulator. Plus, don't forget they support all four games so combined, it's just more players in your eco-system.

State of Decay 2 is over 10M as of last year some time which is pretty good since majority of their content is free.

Yeah, Sony had a bigger presence but not anymore. I understand why people want to ignore ABK but the reality is that they're owned by Microsoft now and regardless of anyone's opinion, they count in the mobile space for them. Not only that but I do find it very suspicious when Redfall bombs and it's on Microsoft but yet, own ABK and King will bring them a billion dollars a year or some shit but yet that doesn't seem to count. People try to include the negatives but not the positives where as I include it all good or bad simply because it's all owned by Microsoft. This is also why Microsoft acquired ABK. It was mainly for mobile gaming because with King, Diablo Immortal and COD mobile, they'll be huge to where Microsoft wants to start their own mobile store front which wasn't possible without ABK.

They announced 13M players. I know Starfield is already massive on Nexus Mods which isn't even official mods. I know people love shitting on the game for some odd reason but if people look up Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 in the same time period as opposed to comparing a 4+ month old game to games that have years worth of content, updates and mods, Starfield is actually the more successful game.

MLB not being on PC is surprising since it would do pretty damn well in my opinion. It should have been a priority since it's a live service game for a year until the following year's version releases.
The issue is all the numbers you're throwing around are absolutely meaningless because those products are FREE on a service of ~25m. Phil does the song and dance about how traditional sales metrics are outdated and you now use numbers from a different service to argue the traditional perspective. The player base is not huge by any metric. 25m GP + 21m sold consoles, even if these were completely seperate consumers, is less than PS5 base, 1/3 of Switch base. Calling it huge makes zero sense based on market share and total addressable users. Xbox is, and always has been, in last place.

Further, go check a few of the achievements out and you'll be able to verify why I'm saying. You can do it for Steam easily, For Starfield, 10.9% of players haven't even completed the 30m tutorial. So lets say 10m hypothetical players, 1m haven't played 30m, but they're "players". The State of Decay "Open 10 containers" achievement would be a pretty good indicator of how shallow some playtime is for players. That's why using a low barrier to entry + different metric for players makes zero sense. Why not start counting Youtube views on trailers as being indicative of the playerbase since the barrier to entry is almost as low as GP in many cases?

Next:
Yeah, Sony had a bigger presence but not anymore.
?????????????????????????
Sells more consoles than Xbox, has more subscribers on their subscription service, somehow "not" big anymore. Oh! I get it, they aren't getting 10m players. Right, because selling millions at $70 is less than selling 3x millions at $0. Forgot that one. Everything else you say is similarly rubbish. They HAD to buy ABK to get into mobiles but games are meant to be created. Games like Genshin or FGO which make money on mobile weren't purchased by some parent company, they were developed. Why couldn't Xbox develop games that sell? On the one hand you're arguing Forza Horizon 5 has 35m users, next you're arguing that Xbox has zero way to make content that would appeal to...35m users? Sure you're right inasmuch as Xbox has zero possibility of developing a good game themselves so of course that would have to be external, but every other 3rd party company that manages this demonstrates that this is a cope argument. Redfall being on Microsoft is actually 100% the case because Bethesda only pushed for Redfall to be developed to increase the companies value for a buyout. The only reason Redfall exists is for Microsoft. Microsoft on the other hand had zero impact on CoD existing, had zero impacting in CoDs 20 year development, yet now praise should be associated with them because they bought them? Cheers, just bought last years winning sports team - I'm responsible for that victory right?

Starfield is not successful. Nexus mods for Starfield being indicative of it's success is funny considering one of the most popular mods is adding DLSS. Nobody is going there because they love Starfield and want to add new content, most people went there because they wanted basic functionality that wasn't included in the game.

The fact you have to write these bizarre screeds is perfect evidence of Microsoft's failure. You know why? Because 35m Forza players has had zero impact. I don't think anyone would know that number because nobody is playing Forza. Everyone knows Palworld's success in last few days because people are playing Palworld and it's success is demonstrative. Forza Horizon's success is not. Starfield success is not. State of Decay's success is not. The only time you hear about how well these games are doing is when the person with a ficudiary responsibility says it is so, and when people repeat that person's statement. Last place console, trending worse than previous generation, whose main focus subscription service accounts for <10% of the industry and is stagnant in users can only ever compete in this weird space where their success is framed by how successful they are and every other metric is eschewed because if they have told the truth it might impact the share price, which is a big no no.