@yosp already working to get Palworld onto PlayStation

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Nintendo just need to anounce a decent looking pokemon and everybody will lose their minds.
A modern, well performing one would be well received by the market but I wish they would do a retro-inspired new game using sprites or something like the HD-2D engine or the Star Ocean 2 remaster. Pokemon is such a large franchise and yet all they can come up with is derivative childslop.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
A modern, well performing one would be well received by the market but I wish they would do a retro-inspired new game using sprites or something like the HD-2D engine or the Star Ocean 2 remaster. Pokemon is such a large franchise and yet all they can come up with is derivative childslop.
That's the beauty of it. I feel like they do that on purpose. Keep releasing improvements bit by bit. And selling millions each time. This the company that sells the same game with 2 different covers

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yeah isn't Pokemon one of the highest grossing franchises in the world? Should be a great example of how defunct Nintendo/Pokemon company are that all they can release is mediocre garbage that has zero impact for the past decade.
Yes but Gene Park is supposed to be a Nintendo fan (more like an xbot hiding behind Nintendo) so he used a PS exclusive instead.

Palworld would be better if it was a real Pokemon game with the Nintendo quality and polish. They will make it for the launch of Switch 2.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Yes but Gene Park is supposed to be a Nintendo fan (more like an xbot hiding behind Nintendo) so he used a PS exclusive instead.

Palworld would be better if it was a real Pokemon game with the Nintendo quality and polish. They will make it for the launch of Switch 2.
You have to be joking with the second line right? I've played Palworld last night, leagues ahead of Pokeslop like S&S or S&V which are ugly and perform badly. Speaking of Pokemon the fact the quality other components of the game, e.g. story, haven't really improved in decades is a good example of how little care the franchise owners pay it.

24 Jun 2022
Sony doesn't allow early access games. Xbox is more desperate for any content whatsoever so there are fewer and lower standards.

It's not about being desperate; Early Access can be helpful for developers, especially smaller indie devs. There's no reason Sony shouldn't have an Early Access-type system set up for PlayStation so that when games like this are ready to release, there's nothing preventing them from skipping PlayStation out of the gate.

Just make sure there's some credentials for Early Access (big 3P pubs for example should prob not be allowed to use it), and a guaranteed refund process for games that unexpectedly go haywire with an Early Access game (or at least reimburse buyers/investors with PS Rewards points and digital coupons).

That's what happens when Shu isn't the one in-charge of stuff like this. He's the one even trying to get it on PlayStation now.

Telling ya that restructuring that happened back in 2020 truly messed up a lot of stuff.

Sometimes it really does seem to feel like that's the case. This being one example. Again, Sony made such a smart call getting Fall Guys onto PlayStation right in time for the lockdowns too.

Now suddenly no one there saw the potential for games like Palworld and didn't set something in place on PlayStation to accommodate such games beforehand? Nah. I think it's more than fair to call Sony out on their shortsightedness for this one, and give MS a W for having some mechanism allowing this type of game on their platform sooner rather than later.

It happens sometimes.

Reactions: Danja1187

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
One of the most impressive launches ever. Players seem to be having fun. Maybe I’ll play it sometime down the line but it doesn’t seem like something I’d like tbh.

Can’t say it’ll die off either. Survival genre is popular and can be built into something legit. These are numbers that flash in the pan f2p games wish to have on launch.

It’ll be interesting to see what it’ll do on console. And I believe it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll see ps5 and switch 2 versions when it’s out of beta. They’re gonna see the opportunity at mega huge live service money made on the cheap with AI.

I don’t think there’s a game dev/pub on the planet that isn’t watching this play out closely.

I think post launch content support might be an issue for the first few months as they get the ball rolling. Reaching mass market so quickly will require more content and quickly.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
You guys are tripping over nothing, @SLB1904 is 100% correct. This game is soulless garbage that'll be dead in a month or 2, just like Battlebit, Lethal Company, Multiversus, etc. It seems like every so often, a low budget rip off hits PC and becomes wildly popular, people get caught up in the hype, then the honeymoon phase ends and they all realize it's not really anything special.

The fact is, most PC gamers have potato PC's, and to finally have something else they can run besides Counter Strike and Dota is a rare blessing for them.
Palworld already sold 4 millions copies in a couple of days. Lethal company and multiversus did not do that. Also Palworld had over a million players concurrent on Steam. Lethal Company and multiverus didnt even come close to that. A million players concurrent is very hard to do on steam.

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Microsoft should lock it down in my opinion. Sony locked down Genshin Impact and Honkai Star Rail which were great decisions. Microsoft needs to do the same with Palworld.

MS bought Bethesda and Activision. AND STICK WITH THAT ONLY.

24 Jun 2022
I agree with you but I don't think that it would be about increasing hardware sales. It would be about having another live service game that is successful and makes massive amounts of revenue and profit. Microsoft is the leader in live service games and adding another one if possible would only add to that.

Ehh...I don't know if I'd say MS are the leaders of live-service games. Fortnite, Roblox, Geshin Impact, maybe even Counterstrike 2 and PUBG at least compete favorably with COD and Minecraft in revenue and arguably better than COD in community reception.

But MS do have a good number of fairly strong live-service games revenue wise, even titles like Elder Scrolls Online and smaller ones like Sea of Thieves. Even if they had to buy their way to most of these games. It's an area Sony kind of need to either catch up on in terms of revenue generators, or find a way to make traditional games be that revenue source (preferably without devaluing their console stream with PC ports, or ports having shorter windows to be ported).

Ideally Sony should buy one that's essentially evergreen and Destiny 2 isn't quite that game. MLB The Show could definitely have a successful mobile version spun off especially with fantasy sports league betting implemented where possible as an option. Maybe they could get the FIFA license for a mobile game similar too. Trying to develop that type of live-service heavyweight internally otherwise is just incredibly hard and has slim chances of success, so you buy out a big hit or a game that's looking it could be a big hit before it actually hits big.

Which is why not having a mechanism for games like Palworld to be on PS via Early Access is hurtful long-term; it prevents Sony from gathering critical player data in the ecosystem that could signal the game might be gaining big traction (in MAU and revenue), meaning they lack info sooner than needed to consider a M&A of that dev and their IP. This should have been obvious to people at SIE and yet here we are.

You guys are tripping over nothing, @SLB1904 is 100% correct. This game is soulless garbage that'll be dead in a month or 2, just like Battlebit, Lethal Company, Multiversus, etc. It seems like every so often, a low budget rip off hits PC and becomes wildly popular, people get caught up in the hype, then the honeymoon phase ends and they all realize it's not really anything special.

The fact is, most PC gamers have potato PC's, and to finally have something else they can run besides Counter Strike and Dota is a rare blessing for them.

It doesn't really matter what WE think of the game at a quality level; COD's been getting worst and worst in quality over the years and yet it still easily sells millions every single year. This is a topic really focused on revenue and profits; to that regard, not having a mechanism for games like Palworld to be on PlayStation from the start negatively impacts potential revenue growth for SIE out of no sensible reason whatsoever.

If the fear's over Early Access games potentially scamming people out of money, just make sure those games communicate loud and clear they are Early Access, and offer a means for the players to get a refund, or PS Rewards points & digital coupons etc. There's enough of these types of games where anytime they hit, they generate a lot of activity, sales, and money, and it'd be best for PlayStation to be in the mix rather than out of it.

reziel

Veteran
12 Jun 2023
Won't happen.

Palworld is finding its succes on PC, not Xbox. Genshin Impact found its success on PS4, not PC.

PS is the biggest console platform, and Palworld will find significantly more success on PlayStation than Xbox.
You can't forget Genshin found most of its success on mobile but playstation definitely helped push it too followed by PC. If anything Playstation will more then likely get it once it's out of early access.

Reactions: Infinity

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
You can't forget Genshin found most of its success on mobile but playstation definitely helped push it too followed by PC. If anything Playstation will more then likely get it once it's put of early access.
I do wonder what the marketshare on each platform is for genshin.

I remember a while back alot of people thought Fortnite had the biggest marketshare on pc, but it turned out playstation actually had the biggest marketshare, and by a wide margin, like almost 50%.

Reactions: reziel

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

And how exactly does my comment means I'm tripping? I have a PC so I'm actually playing the game either way lol. Stating Sony should drop a dumb supposed policy isn't tripping. How can you want your platform to be the #1 Multiplayer hub, but also refuse to have early access games on your platform? Make it make sense. It's dumb just like their silly policy on mods were last gen.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
It's not about being desperate; Early Access can be helpful for developers, especially smaller indie devs. There's no reason Sony shouldn't have an Early Access-type system set up for PlayStation so that when games like this are ready to release, there's nothing preventing them from skipping PlayStation out of the gate.

Just make sure there's some credentials for Early Access (big 3P pubs for example should prob not be allowed to use it), and a guaranteed refund process for games that unexpectedly go haywire with an Early Access game (or at least reimburse buyers/investors with PS Rewards points and digital coupons).

Sometimes it really does seem to feel like that's the case. This being one example. Again, Sony made such a smart call getting Fall Guys onto PlayStation right in time for the lockdowns too.

Now suddenly no one there saw the potential for games like Palworld and didn't set something in place on PlayStation to accommodate such games beforehand? Nah. I think it's more than fair to call Sony out on their shortsightedness for this one, and give MS a W for having some mechanism allowing this type of game on their platform sooner rather than later.

It happens sometimes.
Well it's not like they have anyone in Japan truly scouting talent afterall. The entire Japan still is important is all a sham with them still.

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
Ehh...I don't know if I'd say MS are the leaders of live-service games. Fortnite, Roblox, Geshin Impact, maybe even Counterstrike 2 and PUBG at least compete favorably with COD and Minecraft in revenue and arguably better than COD in community reception.

But MS do have a good number of fairly strong live-service games revenue wise, even titles like Elder Scrolls Online and smaller ones like Sea of Thieves. Even if they had to buy their way to most of these games. It's an area Sony kind of need to either catch up on in terms of revenue generators, or find a way to make traditional games be that revenue source (preferably without devaluing their console stream with PC ports, or ports having shorter windows to be ported).

Ideally Sony should buy one that's essentially evergreen and Destiny 2 isn't quite that game. MLB The Show could definitely have a successful mobile version spun off especially with fantasy sports league betting implemented where possible as an option. Maybe they could get the FIFA license for a mobile game similar too. Trying to develop that type of live-service heavyweight internally otherwise is just incredibly hard and has slim chances of success, so you buy out a big hit or a game that's looking it could be a big hit before it actually hits big.

Which is why not having a mechanism for games like Palworld to be on PS via Early Access is hurtful long-term; it prevents Sony from gathering critical player data in the ecosystem that could signal the game might be gaining big traction (in MAU and revenue), meaning they lack info sooner than needed to consider a M&A of that dev and their IP. This should have been obvious to people at SIE and yet here we are.

There's others but Microsoft has the biggest in Minecraft and a lot of other massive live service games that every company wishes they had. From Forza Horza 5 to Sea of Thieves to Fallout 76 to The Elder Scrolls Online to State of Decay 2 to Halo Infinite to Flight Simulator to the Age of Empires games, they have a ton of them, all successful which is why I put Microsoft as the leaders. It's the one thing that Microsoft nails every time or nearly every time and makes a shit ton of money on them. Add in Call of Duty, Warzone, Warcraft and Diablo and no other company comes close.

It's huge in terms of revenue. It's like sports games. Just prints money. It's insane. Starfield which isn't a live service game has 13M players and is making Microsoft a lot of money and this is before MODS kick in which will be massive. Microsoft isn't concerned about devaluing their console because people like me who are console gamers aren't jumping to PC and those who are on PC aren't going to lessen their experience by switching to a console on a regular full time basis. Microsoft should forever release their games on PC day one because PC is too big of a market to ignore and the PC user base is different than consoles. You release a game a year or two later at full price, vast majority will skip it or pirate it so better off doing day one on PC.

MLB The Show has made Sony a good amount of revenue and profit which should have increased due to being on Xbox, Nintendo and I think it's on PC but not certain about that. Sony should buy one. Locking down games like Genshin, Honkai or even Foamstars (which I think is going to be huge) is a good start but not something they own. With Microsoft now owning ABK and Bethesda, Ubisoft is really the only other major publisher that has a few successful live service games.

I agree with the Early Access aspect. Sony should have Early Access/Game Preview because a lot of companies that are small like to go this way because it gives them funding while also improving the game and getting people into it. So this, I definitely agree with you on.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
You have to be joking with the second line right? I've played Palworld last night, leagues ahead of Pokeslop like S&S or S&V which are ugly and perform badly. Speaking of Pokemon the fact the quality other components of the game, e.g. story, haven't really improved in decades is a good example of how little care the franchise owners pay it.
My last Pokemon was Lets Go and I thought it looked good and played well. I'm not aware of all the drama in the Pokemon community but if it was that bad it wouldn't sell 20 millions each 🤷‍♂️

Look at his dumb bitch from Arkane defending stealing copyrighted material and call it "parody". He works for Microsoft the AI company so I'm not surprised he's backing his new boss and promoting this game.

Last edited:

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
My last Pokemon was Lets Go and I thought it looked good and played well. I'm not aware of all the drama in the Pokemon community but if it was that bad it wouldn't sell 20 millions each 🤷‍♂️

Look at his dumb bitch from Arkane defending stealing copyrighted material and call it "parody". He works for Microsoft the AI company so I'm not surprised he's backing his new boss and promoting this game.

Appeal to popularity doesn't make pokemon good though. It's a popular, long running franchise selling on a 100m+ system and aimed directly at kids (whose parents know what Pokemon is). That explains the 20m sales. The gameplay systems, performance, narrative, and so forth are irrelevant to the sales numbers. But if you play S&V you'll see they're pretty weak in comparison to many other contemporary "good" games. The reason they sell 20m is because it says "POKEMON" on the box, not that the games are doing anything worthy of praise.

As for the plagiarism allegations it genuinely doesn't look worrying enough for me to care. I'm not saying this to defend the game, but looking at the pics it's pretty ridiculous some of the allegations here. The grass fox has long ears like the fire fox, and also a similar frill around the knees? It seems a little hysterical to be honest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox consoles will end up being the same as last generation. Outsold 2 to 1 overall worldwide. The main difference is that Microsoft doesn't need the console #1 or even #2 to be massively successful and profitable. In my eyes, they have the five pillars of gaming. Console, PC, Subscription, Cloud and Mobile. Mobile alone with King and Diablo Immortals/COD mobile will give them massive revenue and profits.

But we'll see.

As for Palworld, it's just what I would do if it was up to me mainly because Microsoft doesn't have these types of games so I would lock it down. What's the point in paying for exclusivity in the first place if you don't lock it down? I hate timed exclusivity. It's so fucking stupid and a waste of money. If im paying for exclusivity, im locking it down fully.
2:1 is very optimistic. We're looking at close to 3:1 especially if they come out with new hardware in 2026 like is being rumored.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony probably never locked it down.

Most likeley mihoyo doesn't see the Xbox platform as worth their time.

Which is a reality Xbox fans need to accept and not blame sony for games missing on their dieing platform.
Nah I'm pretty sure Sony locked down Genshin. It has PS+ giveouts of ingame items every update.