Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I’m not sure your example are really that telling.

Both Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time have everything the previous 2D versions had but in 3D.

If you tell me Mario 64 and Ocarine of Time were remakes I should believe because they have more recycled content than FFVII to FFVIIR.

Well Nintendo success with these series are based in recycling.
Mario 64 let you ride yoshi? let you play as luigi? Koopas are still enemies? Dry bones are in Mario 64? In Mario 64 you no longer go to castle to castle like SMB 1, SMB3, and Super Mario World and instead fight Bowser himself 3 times in peaches castle, No Birdo from SMB2, No different colored yoshis like SUper Mario World.

ocarina of time literally set the new template every following 3D zelda would follow and practically has little to do with the previous games besides the towns names in ALTTP being reused for the sages in Ocarina of time.

There is no triforce in Ocarina of time or pieces of them you collected.

Mario 64 and OOT were massive shake ups in their franchises like RE4 was except nobody tried claiming they aren't real games in their franchises like RE4 gets thrown at it constantly

also is it surprising FFVII remake has less recycled content when the time between FF7 and the remake was over 23 years in japan While the Super Mario Bros 1 was only 11 years old when Mario 64 came out and The Zelda series was only 12 years old when Ocarina of time came out!

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Mario 64 let you ride yoshi? let you play as luigi? Koopas are still enemies? Dry bones are in Mario 64? In Mario 64 you no longer go to castle to castle like SMB 1, SMB3, and Super Mario World and instead fight Bowser himself 3 times in peaches castle, No Birdo from SMB2, No different colored yoshis like SUper Mario World.

ocarina of time literally set the new template every following 3D zelda would follow and practically has little to do with the previous games besides the towns names in ALTTP being reused for the sages in Ocarina of time.

There is no triforce in Ocarina of time or pieces of them you collected.

Mario 64 and OOT were massive shake ups in their franchises like RE4 was except nobody tried claiming they aren't real games in their franchises like RE4 gets thrown at it constantly

also is it surprising FFVII remake has less recycled content when the time between FF7 and the remake was over 23 years in japan While the Super Mario Bros 1 was only 11 years old when Mario 64 came out and The Zelda series was only 12 years old when Ocarina of time came out!
You don’t ride Yoshi in Super Mario Bros.
You don’t play as Luigi in Super Mario Bros.
Dry bones doesn’t exists in Super Mario Bros.

I can go on but you are just taking thinks that are game specifically related and trying to say Super Mario 64 should have them due reasons.

Super Mário 64 is the 3D recreation of Super Mario Bros.

BTW all Mario and Zelda have the same templates… that is what Nintendo does.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Do you feel Ocarina of time is basically a new IP If you remove Link since it has very little references to the 2D Zelda's?
Do you feel Super Mario 64 is basically a new IP if you remove Mario since it has very little references to the 2D Mario games?

how come RE4 and even RE7 gets all this it should of been a new IP but other games franchises that had huge changes to them don't?
I don't see anybody saying Metroid Prime was basically a new IP and that wasn't made by the original creator of the series (RIP Gunpei Yokoi)
Yes maybe you can say RE4 was a shift to open up the audience Resident Evil could sell too by ditching fixed camera and focusing less on puzzles but it still very much feels in many ways a natural evolution of Resident Evil just in a different perspective.
Still has tank controls and Limits player abilities by not allowing you to aim while moving or move while shooting so you have to make tactical choices on when you need to stop and make your attacks!

Now one point you guys who say RE4 isn't Resident Evil is that it's story is very clearly set as a side story (Even tho it originally wasn't at first.) to the rest of the games but that could be attributed to Mikami deciding to write the story on his own which was a first for the Resident Evil series (This was also the first story he wrote for a video game ever, and Killer 7 is the only other one I know of.) and even criticized it himself looking back at it. The development hell RE4 went thru with all it's scrapped versions probably didn't help as well!

Besides that I don't really get where all this RE4 isn't Resident Evil when it followed a lot of trends previous games setup.
Salazar wouldn't be out of place with all the other characters in code veronica, Saddler wouldn't be out of place with that leech dude in RE0.
Those games are exactly like their counterparts merely shifted into a 3D space. Resident Evil 4 has basically nothing to do with Resident Evil...

• brain
Reactions: EDMIX and ethomaz
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
You don’t ride Yoshi in Super Mario Bros.
You don’t play as Luigi in Super Mario Bros.
Dry bones doesn’t exists in Super Mario Bros.

I can go on but you are just taking thinks that are game specifically related and trying to say Super Mario 64 should have them due reasons.

Super Mário 64 is the 3D recreation of Super Mario Bros.

BTW all Mario and Zelda have the same templates… that is what Nintendo does.
You do ride Yoshi in Super Mario Wold
Player 2 plays as Luigi in Super Mario Bros
Dry Bones exist in Super Mario Bros 3 and World

I hope you know my post was replying to someone saying take away Leon from RE4 and it's pretty much a new IP despite RE4 having Ada, Wesker, Hunk, Umbrella references and the fact that RE4 was directed by Shinji Makimi the creator of the series and has a lot of DNA from the previous games (Tank Controls, Red Barrels from RE3, and crazy over the top characters similar to what we saw from Code Veronica and Resident Evil Zero)

My point about Mario 64 and Ocarina of time (Also Metroid Prime) is that they were so different that if you take mario and link away from them they could of easily been new IPs like the other poster said about taking Leon out of RE4 but nobody seems to do that to those games (or other ones I didn't mention) but it seems RE4 seems to get that complaint a lot which seems absurd!

Metroid Prime literally doesn't have the same creator of the series making it (RIP) and went first person but yet I don't see people saying it's not a Metroid Game and it also has way less secrets that Super Metroid and Metroid 2 were known to have!

and you say Zelda and Mario all have the same templates? Did Super Mario Bros 2 and Zelda 2 not happen? Did Galaxy and Majoras Mask not happen? I get a lot of zelda games after oot feel like remakes or different takes on oot but pre oot Zelda games were very different from one another. Zelda 1 is way different from zelda 2 and A link to the past is way different from both of those and Links awakening is also way different but anyway that's not the point, please look at the post i was replying to for context as to what i was saying

EDMIX

Do you feel Ocarina of time is basically a new IP If you remove Link since it has very little references to the 2D Zelda's?
Do you feel Super Mario 64 is basically a new IP if you remove Mario since it has very little references to the 2D Mario games?

how come RE4 and even RE7 gets all this it should of been a new IP but other games franchises that had huge changes to them don't?
I don't see anybody saying Metroid Prime was basically a new IP and that wasn't made by the original creator of the series (RIP Gunpei Yokoi)
Yes maybe you can say RE4 was a shift to open up the audience Resident Evil could sell too by ditching fixed camera and focusing less on puzzles but it still very much feels in many ways a natural evolution of Resident Evil just in a different perspective.
Still has tank controls and Limits player abilities by not allowing you to aim while moving or move while shooting so you have to make tactical choices on when you need to stop and make your attacks!

Now one point you guys who say RE4 isn't Resident Evil is that it's story is very clearly set as a side story (Even tho it originally wasn't at first.) to the rest of the games but that could be attributed to Mikami deciding to write the story on his own which was a first for the Resident Evil series (This was also the first story he wrote for a video game ever, and Killer 7 is the only other one I know of.) and even criticized it himself looking back at it. The development hell RE4 went thru with all it's scrapped versions probably didn't help as well!

Besides that I don't really get where all this RE4 isn't Resident Evil when it followed a lot of trends previous games setup.
Salazar wouldn't be out of place with all the other characters in code veronica, Saddler wouldn't be out of place with that leech dude in RE0.

oh I greatly, greatly disagree.
The changes from RE4 are enough that I feel its valid it should have probably been a subtitle, like new entry that isn't a continuation. Resident Evil Redemption, Resident Evil DEAD Series, Resident Evil Kiwami lol Enough was changed that is simply needed that as its waaaay to far removed from the original concept.

At some point, the only thing that was from the past Resident Evil titles was the fucking name and that you saw someone's back called Leon, everything else was gone.

Less puzzles, you buy weapons and ammo, no more back tracking, no more zombies lol If you called this a new IP, no one in 2004 was going to fucking argue this was coping Resident Evil. Thats like saying Max Payne 3 is a ripe off of Resident Evil, of course thats funny..but its funny because THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON...until RE4, 5 and 6 annnnd now we can say they are in common and can be compared.

So RE4 starts all of that. Its great action game, but enough was lacking that I feel that it maybe should have never been a mainline entry and let it be its own thing. They already did with Outbreak mind you, Revelations, its clear they fucking understand if its different enough, to subtitle it, so we can't even pretend that wasn't a thing at Capcom. They did that with Mega Man. waaaay too different then the last? Ok...its now Mega Man X. Ohhh waaay too different then the 2D ones? Ok...its now Mega Man Legends.

I'm not sure how one can pretend that can't apply to RE4,5 and 6 that are simply to far removed from the core concepts.

As for Super Mario or Zelda, their changes are not so extreme they damn near change genres lol

" natural evolution of Resident Evil just in a different perspective." lol Just stop buddy. I'd 100% agree with you IF THAT was the only thing changed.

None of us give a shit that its over the shoulder, we care that its removed the core elements of Resident evil and slapped its name on it.

Its not like we all hate RE2 remake or something. We like that its actually about zombies, limited ammo, health, puzzles, back tracking etc. Perspective had nothing to do with the issues people had with RE4,5 and 6

Reactions: DynamiteCop
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
oh I greatly, greatly disagree.
The changes from RE4 are enough that I feel its valid it should have probably been a subtitle, like new entry that isn't a continuation. Resident Evil Redemption, Resident Evil DEAD Series, Resident Evil Kiwami lol Enough was changed that is simply needed that as its waaaay to far removed from the original concept.

At some point, the only thing that was from the past Resident Evil titles was the fucking name and that you saw someone's back called Leon, everything else was gone.

Less puzzles, you buy weapons and ammo, no more back tracking, no more zombies lol If you called this a new IP, no one in 2004 was going to fucking argue this was coping Resident Evil. Thats like saying Max Payne 3 is a ripe off of Resident Evil, of course thats funny..but its funny because THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON...until RE4, 5 and 6 annnnd now we can say they are in common and can be compared.

So RE4 starts all of that. Its great action game, but enough was lacking that I feel that it maybe should have never been a mainline entry and let it be its own thing. They already did with Outbreak mind you, Revelations, its clear they fucking understand if its different enough, to subtitle it, so we can't even pretend that wasn't a thing at Capcom. They did that with Mega Man. waaaay too different then the last? Ok...its now Mega Man X. Ohhh waaay too different then the 2D ones? Ok...its now Mega Man Legends.

I'm not sure how one can pretend that can't apply to RE4,5 and 6 that are simply to far removed from the core concepts.

As for Super Mario or Zelda, their changes are not so extreme they damn near change genres lol
you can't buy ammo unless you make sure to upgrade your weapons capacity, and there was backtracking (Maybe to a lesser extent but you still backtracked to certain areas), and sure they removed zombies but they still have the crazy boss fights the series was known for. Also are you forgetting that Ada, Hunk and Wesker are still in RE4?

but the thing about what you said about mario 64 and zelda not being as extreme as RE4 I would disagree with because the genre change literally is the equivalent of Resident Evil dropping the fixed camera but even more extreme since RE4 at least still has tank controls.

But let me ask you this, if RE4 feels more of a spinoff than a natural evolution of what came before it (I understand RE5 and 6 since those games were not made under Mikami's supervision, and focused on competiting with Gears and having online co-op.) why do you not feel the same about Mario, Zelda, Metroid? If Resident Evil was eventually going to drop the Fixed camera angles how should shinji mikami of done it? or is resident evil the one franchise not allowed to evolve for what ever reason? Is final fantasy not final fantasy anymore due to it dropping turn based combat? Is God of War not God of War anymore due to the 2018 soft reboot? Is Grand Theft Auto 3 not Grand Theft Auto for not being level based anymore? the only game I see that gets as much flack as RE4 for changing things up is Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts but that game also didn't review great

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: EDMIX
OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Those games are exactly like their counterparts merely shifted into a 3D space. Resident Evil 4 has basically nothing to do with Resident Evil...
Metroid prime has less callbacks to Super Metroid/ Metroid II/ and Metroid NES than RE4 has to previous RE games.
and what exactly did Ocarina of time take from the previous Zelda games and just transition it to 3D?

If those games are just the 2D games shifted to 3D how is RE4 not a Resident Evil game shifted into an over the shoulder perspective? It still has tank controls, Puzzles, herbs, mutated bosses, and If being loosely related to the previous games means RE4 is not an RE games that means RE2 isn't an RE game then because RE1 is just mentioned thru files (Also Weskers Desk with the Rebacca easter egg) and the fact that Claire is Chris's brother. Only RE1 remake would reference Ada as a password in retrospec. Yes Zombies were dropped due to the creators feeling they were too slow with the new camera angle but RE4 Ada, Hunk and features Wesker more than RE2!
Also I wish people would quit trying to group RE4 with RE5 and RE6, yes they are the third person trilogy but only one of them was made by the creators of the franchise and RE4 still focuses a lot more on atmosphere with a good amount of time with set pieces and level designs so the enemies don't overwhelm you but don't get chopped down too easily unless you mastered the game while RE5 and RE6 just focus on the set piece parts and throwing as many enemies at you at once

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
Based. Every mainline RE game is great. 7 is the "least good" because of cutscenes and the interactive video tapes slowing down the gameplay. Very good otherwise

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Based. Every mainline RE game is great. 7 is the "least good" because of cutscenes and the interactive video tapes slowing down the gameplay. Very good otherwise
I love RE7 and man is that games still amazing (My favorite VR game to date with RE4 VR right behind it) and that E3 2016 reveal is my favorite video game reveal of all time but yeah I wish the next gen upgrade would of let you skip cutscenes. Also the Video tapes are not necessary to completing the game

Yossarian

15 Jul 2022
I love RE7 and man is that games still amazing (My favorite VR game to date with RE4 VR right behind it) and that E3 2016 reveal is my favorite video game reveal of all time but yeah I wish the next gen upgrade would of let you skip cutscenes. Also the Video tapes are not necessary to completing the game
Yes. I've replayed all of them at least 3 times each except 7 & 8. 7 is the next one I'm going to replay. I did not know you could skip the videos. Definitely doing that next time. Thanks

Reactions: RE4-Station

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
People can say what they want about Resident Evil 5, that was my favorite and most played RE game.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
This is getting all kinds of stupid.

The changes in Zelda or Mario jumping to 3D are far more massive than what RE4 did.

Now do Super Mario Bros 2. That game had most of its ideas translated into 3D too…. And that was just a reskin of another game! (Yaooooo lol) . I’d like to see where this nonsense goes further.

RE4 mops the floor with the rest of the entire series. RE7, is the next best game in the series. Followed by REmakes 1 and 2. The end.

PS - you’re supposed to celebrate sequels that reinvent itself. Far more impressive a feat. Otherwise you’ll just JJ Abrams Star Wars movies that plagiarize someone else’s movies 3x over.

Disgusting

Last edited:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

The changes in Zelda or Mario jumping to 3D are far more massive than what RE4 did.

Now do Super Mario Bros 2. That game had most of its ideas translated into 3D too…. And that was just a reskin of another game! (Yaooooo lol) . I’d like to see where this nonsense goes further.

RE4 mops the floor with the rest of the entire series. RE7, is the next best game in the series. Followed by REmakes 1 and 2. The end.

PS - you’re supposed to celebrate sequels that reinvent itself. Far more impressive a feat. Otherwise you’ll just JJ Abrams Star Wars movies that plagiarize someone else’s movies 3x over.

Disgusting
The point is.

Super Maior 64 and Zelda Ocarine of Time are Mario and Zelda games… everything is there and they changed the gameplay mechanics to 3D… it is the same platform game now in 3D.
Of course you will say the changes is big because the change to 2D to 3D is… you have to change the core gameplay mechanics.

But they are essentially the Mario and Zelda… the same template than previous games… you will never read somebody saying Super Mario 64 is not a Mario or Zelda Ocarine of Time is not a Zelda… everything that makes Mario and Zelda games are there.

Resident Evil 4 is a departure from the Resident Evil… if you call it Resident War you won’t even tell the game was a Resident Evil game because what made Resident Evil is not there anymore.

The opposite of Resident Evil 7… they changed the camera and so the gameplay mechanics just like Mario/Zelda going 3D but it is a pure horse Resident Evil… what made the franchise is there… it is very similar to the Survival Horror of first Resident Evil.

While RE3 already showed Capcom moving to a different take… it really happened in RE4.
I tried to play it and it feels so off from Resident Evil that I just give up… maybe if it had another name I could have tried to play it more and maybe even likes it… but only a game where you already expected things and it doesn’t delivery us really sad.

I just returned to play Resident Evil games in RE7.

And sales shows that… a lot of RE fans stopped to play after played RE4 like me (I never played RE5 and RE6 and have no desire to do so based in videos and trailers) and just found Resident Evil again with RE7.

For me the mainline is RE1-3, RE7-8.

4 Aug 2022
I dont even like RE4 but to call it bad is just silly. Moving a franchise in a new direction doesn't automatically put in a bad place. Open up your gaming minds and try something new.

Oogabooga

16 Jul 2022
RE5 is pretty much my least favorite RE games tbh. I liked it at first even though I thought even back when it came out it was a disappointing follow up to RE4 but when I tried to get back into it in 2015 I just for some reason cannot!
Good news is that if RE4 VR breaks 1 million soon and both the Steam version and PS4/Xb1 remaster can keep pulling in 100k every quarter RE4 can overtake it maybe by june of next year?
6 is way more trashy than 5.

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
The point is.

Super Maior 64 and Zelda Ocarine of Time are Mario and Zelda games… everything is there and they changed the gameplay mechanics to 3D… it is the same platform game now in 3D.
Of course you will say the changes is big because the change to 2D to 3D is… you have to change the core gameplay mechanics.

But they are essentially the Mario and Zelda… the same template than previous games… you will never read somebody saying Super Mario 64 is not a Mario or Zelda Ocarine of Time is not a Zelda… everything that makes Mario and Zelda games are there.

Resident Evil 4 is a departure from the Resident Evil… if you call it Resident War you won’t even tell the game was a Resident Evil game because what made Resident Evil is not there anymore.

The opposite of Resident Evil 7… they changed the camera and so the gameplay mechanics just like Mario/Zelda going 3D but it is a pure horse Resident Evil… what made the franchise is there… it is very similar to the Survival Horror of first Resident Evil.

While RE3 already showed Capcom moving to a different take… it really happened in RE4.
I tried to play it and it feels so off from Resident Evil that I just give up… maybe if it had another name I could have tried to play it more and maybe even likes it… but only a game where you already expected things and it doesn’t delivery us really sad.

I just returned to play Resident Evil games in RE7.

And sales shows that… a lot of RE fans stopped to play after played RE4 like me (I never played RE5 and RE6 and have no desire to do so based in videos and trailers) and just found Resident Evil again with RE7.

For me the mainline is RE1-3, RE7-8.
I'm not going to argue about you not feeling RE4 isn't Resident Evil, if you play RE4 and it doesn't feel Resident Evil to you that's fine, I just find it funny that you think Resident Evil 7 is resident evil when the biggest criticism that game got was that it was an outlast clone (Which I don't Agree with) I love Resident Evil Vii Biohazard or Biohazard 7 Resident Evil if you are from japan and it was my favorite game reveal of all time at E3 2016 (and my favorite PSVR game to date) and I am super happy about the success of the game but I hope you remember before RE2 remake was revealed there your leaks of RE2 remake being first person and a good amount of RE fans lost their shit because of RE2 possibly being first person because at the time and to this day there are a bunch of people who do not like first person Resident Evil's. Also i find it kinda funny you consider Resident Evil 8 Village (Another game I love and beat on the village of shadows difficulty) Resident Evil when it has so many call backs to RE4 and has a freaking magneto boss in it! Seriously people can hate RE4 because of the mecha Salazar statue but RE8 gets a pass for having a magneto boss lol, in some ways RE8 is more crazy than RE4!

OP
OP
RE4-Station

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022

Disgusting
My Top 10 Resident Evil's would go....
1. RE4
2. RE2 1998
3. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
4. Resident Evil 3 Remake (I freakin love the gameplay of this game)
5. Resident Evil 1 Remake
6. Resident Evil Revelations 2
7. Resident Evil 8 Village
8. Resident Evil 2 Remake
9. Resident Evil 1 PS1
10. Resident Evil Revelations

I really need for beat code veronica x on PS3 or PS4 as I've made it a quite a way into the game but man can that game be unforgiving at times

what are your top 10?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vertigo

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Code Veronica is alright. I remember getting a Dreamcast just for it. First game without prerendered backgrounds.

It’s a bit of slog and totally showed how tired the classic formula was. I’ve definitely soured on it over the years.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm not going to argue about you not feeling RE4 isn't Resident Evil, if you play RE4 and it doesn't feel Resident Evil to you that's fine, I just find it funny that you think Resident Evil 7 is resident evil when the biggest criticism that game got was that it was an outlast clone (Which I don't Agree with) I love Resident Evil Vii Biohazard or Biohazard 7 Resident Evil if you are from japan and it was my favorite game reveal of all time at E3 2016 (and my favorite PSVR game to date) and I am super happy about the success of the game but I hope you remember before RE2 remake was revealed there your leaks of RE2 remake being first person and a good amount of RE fans lost their shit because of RE2 possibly being first person because at the time and to this day there are a bunch of people who do not like first person Resident Evil's. Also i find it kinda funny you consider Resident Evil 8 Village (Another game I love and beat on the village of shadows difficulty) Resident Evil when it has so many call backs to RE4 and has a freaking magneto boss in it! Seriously people can hate RE4 because of the mecha Salazar statue but RE8 gets a pass for having a magneto boss lol, in some ways RE8 is more crazy than RE4!
I played both and they have nothing in common except the first person camera.

RE7 is the most RE game since the original RE… I can even say if RE was made in first Paterson it should be like RE7.

Status
Not open for further replies.