It's dead:

yuzu-emulator-discontinued-v0-0hh8wlducdmc1.jpeg

img[

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Kind of a slap on the wrist given they take payment via Patreon for their work and facilitated quite a bit of piracy, to the tune of apparently 1 million copies of TotK. And who knows what else.

I think emulation is great to preserve old titles, but what this company is doing is a completely different ball game.

J

Joey Ravn

So Yuzu is dead, right? There's no way they continue working on the emulator now.

It's a fucking tragedy. Anyone who says "b-b-but piracy!" is being extremely shortsighted.

Edit: Oh, wow, yeah. It's totally dead. This sets a terrifying precedent. Emulation is (basically) illegal now. Good luck to anyone wanting to start a project now, because if a company wants to shut you down, they will and fast.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Fucking horrible. Emulation is not illegal. Fuck Nintendo also.
Stealing software is. You have no idea what you're talking about on this one if this is what you really think. Yuzu was not "just making an emulator."

So Yuzu is dead, right? There's no way they continue working on the emulator now.

It's a fucking tragedy. Anyone who says "b-b-but piracy!" is being extremely shortsighted.
Nope. Do you think the Spiderman 2 PC leak and distribution of that software was ok too?

People arguing in favor of piracy are complete jackasses.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023

I will happily contribute to any crowdfunding that keeps them going. This is arguably a missed opportunity to get the precedent set once and for all that emulation is totally legal and uncontroversial.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Stealing software is. You have no idea what you're talking about on this one if this is what you really think. Yuzu was not "just making an emulator."

Nope. Do you think the Spiderman 2 PC leak and distribution of that software was ok too?

There's a huge difference. One is clearly and obviously copyright infringement and the other isn't.

Also there's no excuse for gamers to be copyright narcs.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
As far as the public knows they really were just making an emulator. Someone else found and released the game earlier.

J

Joey Ravn

Nintendo is not halting piracy. They are attacking open-source software that does not include any copyrighted material. There is nothing in Yuzu itself that is illegal, period. You can even argue that they provide instructions on how to dump your own keys, but that information was outside of the emulator itself, so they could have targeted the website and would have had a much better legal argument.

Switch piracy existed before Yuzu and will continue to exist after it. If they really wanted to tackle the problem of piracy, they would after the people who dump, release and distribute their games, over which they actually have copyright. But that's much harder to do than going after the easiest target.

People praise physical media so much because of "ownership", but it's absolutely clear that companies can and will dictate what you can and can't do with the stuff you allegedly own to suit their needs.

Also, I'd love to see some of that proof you have that the Yuzu team was doing more than coding an emulator and actively pirating software.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
If you’re going to do business in this grey area, keep it low.

The group had a fucking Patreon. Miss me with the emulation and preservation talks. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
There's a huge difference. One is clearly and obviously copyright infringement and the other isn't.

Also there's no excuse for gamers to be copyright narcs.
Do you have any idea how Yuzu operated? You have no clue what you're talking about.

As far as the public knows they really were just making an emulator. Someone else found and released the game earlier.
Cool, and what information was Yuzu posting on their site?

Even the emulation community was saying they were doing the wrong thing.

To people mad about this why do you think Yuzu settled so quickly for such a relatively small amount of money? Because they were in the right? :LOL:

Here is a short blurb from an ArsTechnica article that touches on some key points. Keep in mind these quotes are coming from emulation developers.

Developers also felt Yuzu probably drew unwelcome attention by working to emulate leaked games like The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom even before they were officially released, a practice that took center stage in Nintendo's lawsuit.

"If Yuzu... didn't say anything about how to get decryption keys—or show games that have not yet been released being emulated, which obviously requires pirating those games and/or obtaining them illegally—it wouldn't have given Nintendo a reason to sue them," ZJoyKiller said. "I think emulating games which have a release date of tomorrow is not very optimal for not being sued," another anonymous developer added.

As someone who works in the tech industry, it blows my mind how much rationalizing people do around stealing software just because it's digital, so they feel like it's not really stealing. Sorry people, if you do this stuff you are a thief. It doesn't matter if it's Switch, PC, PS5, Xbox, whatever. It's all stealing.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
If you’re going to do business in this grey area, keep it low.

The group had a fucking Patreon. Miss me with the emulation and preservation talks. They knew exactly what they were doing.
there's no gray area. this is legal activity. it's 100% legal to get paid for it. Dolphin could have been sold for profit on Steam, and it's only because of a gentleman's agreement between Valve and Nintendo that it was removed. That's not a legal precedent.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Nintendo is not halting piracy. They are attacking open-source software that does not include any copyrighted material. There is nothing in Yuzu itself that is illegal, period. You can even argue that they provide instructions on how to dump your own keys, but that information was outside of the emulator itself, so they could have targeted the website and would have had a much better legal argument.

Switch piracy existed before Yuzu and will continue to exist after it. If they really wanted to tackle the problem of piracy, they would after the people who dump, release and distribute their games, over which they actually have copyright. But that's much harder to do than going after the easiest target.

People praise physical media so much because of "ownership", but it's absolutely clear that companies can and will dictate what you can and can't do with the stuff you allegedly own to suit their needs.

Also, I'd love to see some of that proof you have that the Yuzu team was doing more than coding an emulator and actively pirating software.
I wish i could they're_right_you_know this one twice.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

I just posted part of the proof. Again, Yuzu WAS pirating and also actively aiding other people in doing so.

Yes, you can buy physical games. You then own a license to use the software. You don't not "own the game." You are not allowed to steal games in any fashion. It doesn't matter if you're ripping from a cart or a disc, or just copying digital bits. This is really, really simple.

Why is it that so many gamers are just ignorant beyond belief around this issue? it's like talking to children sometimes.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
there's no gray area. this is legal activity. it's 100% legal to get paid for it. Dolphin could have been sold for profit on Steam, and it's only because of a gentleman's agreement between Valve and Nintendo that it was removed. That's not a legal precedent.
US law seems to disagree.

J

Joey Ravn

I just posted part of the proof. Again, Yuzu WAS pirating and also actively aiding other people in doing so.

Yes, you can buy physical games. You then own a license to use the software. You don't not "own the game." You are not allowed to steal games in any fashion. It doesn't matter if you're ripping from a cart or a disc, or just copying digital bits. This is really, really simple.

Why is it that so many gamers are just ignorant beyond belief around this issue? it's like talking to children sometimes.

Don't worry. I'll take my ignorance somewhere else.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yep. Yuzu settled for millions of dollars and will shut down because they were operating 100% legally. Clearly, this makes loads of sense. They should have hired you to be their lawyer because you surely would have won this case for them.

Do you remember the "Hackintosh" lawsuits by chance?

This is all really clear cut, even if PC dorks who love to steal don't seem to understand.

Reactions: BroodCorp

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
good god

nintendo ninjas are going to be feeling themselves now, going after everyone

emulation is legal, people. nothing grey about it.