1st party PlayStation PC games helped Sony generate $2.5 billion from its Other segment, a new all-time high.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I like Playstation games coming to Steam and I hope we get more of them. Lots of prior PS exclusives would've benefitted from PC ports. Warhawk, or MAG, or Dreams might all still have healthy communities.

Also I don't think day and date Steam releases would be bad for PlayStation. PS5 is still a very slick, reliable, and affordable way to game. Most people are still going to prefer that to PC hassles.

Last edited:

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
They didn't tell us how much the pc ports made? Which is weird because sony usually like to flex how much the ports made. Im guessing they didn't meet the goals for how much the ports would make.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Also I don't think day and date Steam releases would be bad for PlayStation. PS5 is still a very slick, reliable, and affordable was to game. Most people are still going to prefer that to PC hassles.
I disagree with that. MS went day and date for their games and it basically killed their console sales. There's no hype about the brand because a generic laptop does the same thing.

Playstation IPs are stronger than ever so it's better to associate them with the actual console.
They didn't tell us how much the pc ports made? Which is weird because sony usually like to flex how much the ports made. Im guessing they didn't meet the goals for how much the ports would make.
That's not now. It's when Jim Ryan makes that presentation with the slides. It's this month so we have to wait a few more weeks. TLOU did terrible anyway.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I disagree with that. MS went day and date for their games and it basically killed their console sales. There's no hype about the brand because a generic laptop does the same thing.
I think Xbox console sales dropped because Xbox One especially was a very unattractive console. Series X is a lot better, but Playstation has just kept its momentum going since like 2010. Playstation is also a global brand while Xbox struggles outside of English speaking countries. I don't think Xbox games on Steam hurt the brand. Stuff like Grounded and HiFi Rush on Steam are the only good associations I have with Xbox right now.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I like Playstation games coming to Steam and I hope we get more of them. Lots of prior PS exclusives would've benefitted from PC ports. Warhawk, or MAG, or Dreams might all still have healthy communities.

Also I don't think day and date Steam releases would be bad for PlayStation. PS5 is still a very slick, reliable, and affordable was to game. Most people are still going to prefer that to PC hassles.
No, PC gaming is only growing, cedeing your platform's exclusive games to a growing market is the fastest way to make your box irrelevant. It seems their live service games are heading that direction so we'll see how that plays out for them. I just don't see a reason why Sony should be in the business of multi platform publishing, you would never see Nintendo do that and they sell gangbusters.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No, PC gaming is only growing, cedeing your platform's exclusive games to a growing market is the fastest way to make your box irrelevant. It seems their live service games are heading that direction so we'll see how that plays out for them. I just don't see a reason why Sony should be in the business of multi platform publishing, you would never see Nintendo do that and they sell gangbusters.
PC is the longest enduring library of games you can still play. It's also like the dang 4k Blu-ray version of most games... eventually. Playstation games should be in there, even if it's a year late or whatever. I think that exclusivity period will seem less and less important over time, because Playstation sells itself on quality.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
D

Deleted member 417

If you want to play playstation games, buy a playstation
If you want to play xbox games, buy an xbox
If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo
If you want to play PC games, buy a PC.

If you want to play any game on any platform, you're poor. Stop being poor. Get a second job and buy more than one console you tight-arse gits. Failing that, buy fewer soy lattes, fewer Mcdonalds and hold off on buying the brand new Iphone 27.

Don't be poor. Be a gamer.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
@Sleepy Brown is this the new playbook from the Xbox discord?

There is no evidence for any correlation between PC ports and the "all-time high" for Others, which - as others already pointed out - is obviously due to releasing expensive peripherals like VR2 and the Edge.

Will you make a new thread the next time those Others numbers decrease, affirming that PC ports sales are declining? Nah, of course the headline will have a negative spin regarding PSVR2.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If you want to play playstation games, buy a playstation
If you want to play xbox games, buy an xbox
If you want to play Nintendo games, buy a Nintendo
If you want to play PC games, buy a PC.

If you want to play any game on any platform, you're poor. Stop being poor. Get a second job and buy more than one console you tight-arse gits. Failing that, buy fewer soy lattes, fewer Mcdonalds and hold off on buying the brand new Iphone 27.

Don't be poor. Be a gamer.
Correction: If you want to play xbox, nintendo, or pc games, buy a pc. best version of all the games are on pc.

• party
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Rivet

25 Jun 2022
Correction: If you want to play xbox, nintendo, or pc games, buy a pc. best version of all the games are on pc.

More often than not, you now get stuttering and shitty ports on PC, so no it's not the best version of every game you get. And you need a PC which costs 5 times the whole console to make the games run decently, which is a bit absurd.

The Last of Us part 1 remake best version is on PS5.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I have an idea. Why doesn't Microsoft use its massive profits generated in other parts of the business to buy its own games from retail and subscribe to GP? Maybe then they'll enjoy the kind of sales Sony does.

Still no profit though.

• fire
Reactions: ethomaz

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
More often than not, you now get stuttering and shitty ports on PC, so no it's not the best version of every game you get. And you need a PC which costs 5 times the whole console to make the games run decently, which is a bit absurd.

The Last of Us part 1 remake best version is on PS5.
Well that's where the PS5 comes in. PC + PS5 is the way to go.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
How are analysts so bad
Just a bit more to understand…

FY21 Others: $1.70 billion.
FY21 PC games: $80 million.

Let’s say accessories is the same as FY21.
That left $0.8m for PSVR2 and PC games.

But accessories is probably up this year and PSVR2 is the most of the rest… I mean 1 million PSVR2 is already over $500 million revenue.

PC games is probably around $200-300m max imo.

I assume they are so bad because they are not a proffesional analysts, but only random guys from internet.

As many mentioned, PC games didn't make $2.5 billion, Sony forecasted that their PS Studios games were going to make this fiscal year in PC $300M. The $2.5B number also includes other things like accesories such new gamepads and PSVR (even if maybe this time included PSVR2 in the 'hardware' part, which algo got a great bump this quarter).

According to my estimates from Steam sales, around $300M is approximatedly the accumulated the PS Studios PC titles did since they started in Steam many years ago. This year they also have Bungie, so adding Destiny 2 PC (a top game there) pretty likely made $300M this year alone.

Let's see what Sony said other than the $2.5B figure:
"sales of first-party software for the full fiscal year of FY22, including Bungie, grew significantly, with dollar-based sales increasing by 41% year-on-year"
image.png
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sonyspeech.pdf

If we look at the PS5 first party game units solds (not dollar sales) they decreased from 43.9M to 43.3M this year but due to exchange rate changes pretty likely improved in dollar sales YoY. As an example, the total PS5 software sales decreased in units from 303.2M to 264.2M but increased their total PS5 game revenue from 699759M yen to 854371M yen (22% up, but this mostly includes 3rd party).

image.png

Meaning, if their PC sales must have increased way more than 41% if their PS5+PC total revenue is 41% up YoY, specially considering their PC sales are way smaller than their PS5 first party sales.

So as a rough estimate makes sense to think they achieved their $300M forecast in PC, or achieved something close to that.

Bloomberg's concern trolling was something different. Derek was the one who created this fictional $70 games is hurting sales narrative out of thin air.
It proven to be false: the amount of games sold for PS5 slightly decreased but their revenue from PS5 game sales, PS5 digital add-ons (DLC/IAP/passes) sales and game subs ('network services') kept increasing year over year. See the image I posted above.

I like Playstation games coming to Steam and I hope we get more of them.
They confirmed that more catalog titles ('catalog' means originally released in previous fiscal years) will be released in PC.

image.png

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q4_sonyspeech.pdf

Their PC ports of old games probably is what gives them the biggest ROI and require little investment/risk but big profits. And PS5 makes more money now than before both in hardware, software and game subs, meaning PC didn't negatively affected them. So obviously they'll keep investing on more PC ports of old games.

Regarding day one games on PC, according to Hermen only some PS Studios GaaS maybe potentially could release day one. The other ones would be released on PC at least around a year or more later. The Bungie ones will be day one in all platforms including PC. We know that the Firewalk game is also coming to PC, but not sure if day one (potentially yes).

Last edited:

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
If PC sales were so exceptional they wouldn’t be in the ‘Others’ category.

Sony themselves expected 300 million this fiscal year. Which is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

GOWR alone made more money in its first week.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Look at how Jedi Surivivor has done on steam. It’s not notable in any form.

Steam’s importance for high end console games is overhyped. PC fans overestimate how many of them can even actually run modern games. Look at the most expensive rigs struggle… $4,000 dollars spent to run a game with worse performance than a $600 console.

Most popular pc games are games that work on potato rigs. Lesser demanding online games and player peak populations in the early morning hours (now) indicating an Internationally driven marketplace.

Most single player games on pc sell peanuts. Historical pc genres and devs of the bethesdajank RPGs of course do well. There are outliers like Hogwarts and Elden Ring (which has online component) but Sony’s late ports are par for the course performance wise.

Piracy is a huge issue. Only pirates defend it. And for this reason alone PlayStation games aside from the online ones should never release day and date with pc. They need to actually make money and take the risk on console first. If that goes well… then they can port.

I’m sure it’s making Sony easy money and encourage more of it. I also do not view pc as a competing market and more of a sister market of sorts.

If Sony believes it makes the best games then it should sell its games everywhere and take everyone’s money…. Sony has 2 games in the XBL top 10. Microsoft has 1. Beat them on their own turf.

OP
OP
Sleepy Brown

Sleepy Brown

Banned
5 Jul 2022
Yes. Microsoft already said they're going to appeal the (CMA) decision.
First will be the EC who's going to let the deal pass. And then it will be the CMA bending the knee. They have no other choice. Just accept it. Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company. And Microsoft is going to dominate the market in the US.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Yes. Microsoft already said they're going to appeal the (CMA) decision.
First will be the EC who's going to let the deal pass. And then it will be the CMA bending the knee. They have no other choice. Just accept it. Activision-Blizzard will be a Microsoft company. And Microsoft is going to dominate the market in the US.
Delusional and in almost everything there is an appeal process, appeals work maybe 1% of the time if at all 😂. It's, dead and your favorite plastic will still be spewing our mediocre games. Enjoy the ambassador program while you can 👀.