1st party PlayStation PC games helped Sony generate $2.5 billion from its Other segment, a new all-time high.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Games are getting expensive to make so this extra cash can be used to get more and more bangers on PS5.

Win - Win.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Is anyone here contending that Playstation sales on Steam are not making a return? These aren't separate 200M budget projects. They have Nixxes and Iron Galaxy pipelining these ports to make extra profit with relatively low effort. If the sales really aren't anything to sneeze at, then Steam releases are not a threat to console sales. As for piracy, man I just can't relate to regular gamers who feel the need to police this. I buy like 99%+ of my games, but copyright infringement plays a really important role in gaming culture. It's the only way to play a lot of great games.

Reactions: ApolloHelios

daniel5043

Veteran
19 Jan 2023
Is anyone here contending that Playstation sales on Steam are not making a return? These aren't separate 200M budget projects. They have Nixxes and Iron Galaxy pipelining these ports to make extra profit with relatively low effort. If the sales really aren't anything to sneeze at, then Steam releases are not a threat to console sales. As for piracy, man I just can't relate to regular gamers who feel the need to police this. I buy like 99%+ of my games, but copyright infringement plays a really important role in gaming culture. It's the only way to play a lot of great games.
I argue that the PC ports haven't made over 2 billion or even 1 billion

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I like Playstation games coming to Steam and I hope we get more of them. Lots of prior PS exclusives would've benefitted from PC ports. Warhawk, or MAG, or Dreams might all still have healthy communities.

Also I don't think day and date Steam releases would be bad for PlayStation. PS5 is still a very slick, reliable, and affordable way to game. Most people are still going to prefer that to PC hassles.

angry gran torino GIF

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Games are getting expensive to make so this extra cash can be used to get more and more bangers on PS5.

Win - Win.

They can just put the GAAS on there. Forget about the single player ports, waste of time and they need something to help differentiate their offering and make PS the premier place to play.

High budget, excellent quality single player games are their ace in the hole. PC has no platform holders willing to spend big bucks on making such titles, so Sony shouldn't be helping another platform there.

Besides we have seen how Returnal, Sackboy, TLOUP1 and Uncharted performed... all pretty poorly.

I would say GAAS is more popular on PC, that audience is just more into that style of game.

In fact, I would say to go completely the opposite direction... buy From Soft and take their games off PC, so more of them HAVE to buy a PS5.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This is the exact same dude that made the viral article that Sony's data said people aren't buying $70 games when their data said no such thing. It's clear he has some sort of agenda and twists Sony's data to fit whatever narrative.

According to his made up theory the first horizon port generated $1.5 billion dollars on PC 🤣 He's starting to give Bloomberg a run for their money on how many things you can make up from one Sony financial presentation.
Another point to what I said, this Derek character is definitely doing PR for MS. Sony PC ports benefit no one but Steam and Windows. They don't even have their own launcher for gods sakes.
FSAruUH.png

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Another point to what I said, this Derek character is definitely doing PR for MS. Sony PC ports benefit no one but Steam and Windows. They don't even have their own launcher for gods sakes.
FSAruUH.png
Why would you want another launcher? It's smart that they're publishing on Steam because that's the best user experience, and their games can be played handheld. Playstation should go further and do officially supported Remote Play app for Steam/Deck.

I think $70 for Returnal in 2023 is a "benefit" for Sony.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
D

Deleted member 417

FSAruUH.png
Microsoft's own numbers say that there is little to no growth with gamepass or platform expansion.

Neither company followed Xbox. Sony had a 'gamepass' service years before Xbox.

This tweet is pure, grade-A horse poop.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Why would you want another launcher? It's smart that they're publishing on Steam because that's the best user experience, and their games can be played handheld. Playstation should go further and do officially supported Remote Play app for Steam/Deck.

I think $70 for Returnal in 2023 is a "benefit" for Sony.
Not only are Sony's PC ports pirated day 1 so they get 0 dollars on those copies. They also get 30% taken off of every steam purchase. If they had their own launcher like Blizzard, Riot and other large publishers, they get to keep all that revenue and possibly even convert some PC only players to PS plus subscribers.

I just wanted to post that screenshot of Phil and Derek since it seems like we have a new shill on the block, expect to see more false headlines from that tweaktown publication or whoever he writes for.

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
FSAruUH.png

His outlet, Tweaktown has been very pro ABK acquisition through the entire ordeal.

Based in Australia, probably friendly enough with Stevivor but that's just a guess.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Not only are Sony's PC ports pirated day 1 so they get 0 dollars on those copies. They also get 30% taken off of every steam purchase. If they had their own launcher like Blizzard, Riot and other large publishers, they get to keep all that revenue and possibly even convert some PC only players to PS plus subscribers.

I just wanted to post that screenshot of Phil and Derek since it seems like we have a new shill on the block, expect to see more false headlines from that tweaktown publication or whoever he writes for.

Man the proliferation of pointless "launchers" was one of the worst trends in gaming. The one thing I was hoping for in the MS/Activision merge was that MS would kill Battlenet and put Blizzard games on Steam. The trend is going in the right direction finally. You got my blood pressure up proposing another one.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not only are Sony's PC ports pirated day 1 so they get 0 dollars on those copies. They also get 30% taken off of every steam purchase.
Sony estimated that they were going to make $300M from PC this year, and seems they achieved it since their first party revenue went up 41% this year but in PS5 they sold less 1st party games, plus the estimation via Steam reviews pretty much leads to think they achieved around $300M.

These are basically profits for them because ports are so cheap. Until the previous year they made $80M, so it's a big jump. They made a big jump. And plan to continue growing on PC. These ports are a highly profitable business with no risks for them, very low costs and console hardware/software/subs keep growing so ports aren't negatively affecting them.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Where have you been hiding all time? :D
I can’t blame you after all the bad news for Xbox the last 12 months. CMA blocking Activision Blizzard must hurt you pretty bad. You will have probably a mentally meltdown if EU also block it. 🤣