40 Minutes Of Starfield Gameplay Have Leaked Online

24 Jun 2022
My personal quick analysis...nobody get their panties in a bunch okay?

The character models have been significantly downgraded in areas compared to the 2022 footage. I noticed that a while ago, but it's just even starker now. The lack of mo-cap on character models and faces is stark. Something is also throwing me off with the helmets; maybe it's the resolution (I've only found a 480p version of the footage) but the helmets don't look like they have visors in them? Also seems like maybe the helmet moves around too much with their head movement, so it's like the helmet doesn't appear as weighty as it looks with all the detail on it. And with no reflections or slight distortion of the heads behind the glass visor, it makes the helmet look flat in the front.

Texture quality seems good though all around, particularly on the space suits and ships. Lighting is okay; I need to see the game in different lit environments to get a better read there. I'd also like to see some gameplay footage in inclimate weather, such as during a thunderstorm on an alien planet, to see how the physics system on foliage and cloth & leather objects is like. There being a load screen for things like entering the flight deck of the ship, and cutscenes for planet take-off and re-entry, are still sore points that decrease some of the sense of immersion though, IMO.

Game-loop wise, it seems....solid. I'm not seeing anything too different from Fallout or The Elder Scrolls in terms of big game systems, and object interactivity & permanence wasn't any different from other open-world games. But, I also know this is just footage of a guy who's just casually playing some of the game, and they weren't playing with the intent to analyze or test all this stuff out, so I can respect that.

The funny thing about this leak is that it's so reminiscent of old video game leaks on old youtube. It's just so random and you can tell the guy isn't used to making videos. He soldiered on playing while trying to record, there's the baby crying and him getting interrupted by his family. Also, there's the fact he just got a hold of the game by being lucky and getting it delivered early. Kind of a wholesome element to it.

Yeah, it's nice for a regular Joe to just chill out and play the game, and capture the game footage while doing so. No playing up a personality for views & clicks, no console-warrior narratives, none of that. Just casually playing the game and getting some footage of it.

In that sense this will probably be among the most honest footage of the game that'll be online...pre-and-post release, IMO.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
Wow. Who sent the memo that games need to be physically correct?
A great deal of Starfield fans were arguing that the 900 planets with nothing on them were actually good because it was realistic to our universe, and Starfield is a realistic science fiction game. E.g. comments like this. Fans should obviously be held to the same standard they were previously promoting. Personally I don't think Starfield is a serious game considering Bethesda did "Kid in a Fridge" in FO4 which made no sense whatsoever, so all the realism arguments were always cope. Bethesda doesn't care about being realistic.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Ok, come on, this looks nothing like other things out now a animation wise. Its better than your usual Bethesda standards, but still subpar compared to other AAA titles.
Since we've only seen the character running and ducking, I can only compare that. It's pretty standard these days for animation. Most AAA games 3P shooters look like this.

Reactions: Bryank75

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Maybe its guys tv but the washed out color looks bad IMO, and that artstyle isnt helping things. Weird that MS isnt letting "trusted" streamers show off the game in the best light and instead we get potato quality footage from literal who twitter accounts. Its like theyre simultaneously trying to hide the game but also hype it up.
The art style is the same as it was when they first revealed the game. This isn't the first footage of it. LOL!

Last edited:

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Wait latest compared to what? There are so many things wrong with this statement if you are comparing Starfields animations even facial to that of much higher quality titles that use the best mo-cap.
No, I'm not comparing the facial animation -- which looks horrible. I'm comparing the in-game walking/running/ducking animations.

Reactions: Bryank75

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
No, I'm not comparing the facial animation -- which looks horrible. I'm comparing the in-game walking/running/ducking animations.

Yea still nowhere near as good as anything from many studios. Last of us part 2 has some of the best animations for crouched/crawling. In terms of comparing it to a open world game, Horizon Frobidden west is super well animated. Has a good crawl animation/running. Sorry Bethesda is not known for great animation in their physic based titles like elder scrolls, fallout, and now starfield.

I will agree that its probably their best animated game in terms of character/physics. But if compared to many other titles that have released in the past 4+ years it falls short.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
Yea still nowhere near as good as anything from many studios. Last of us part 2 has some of the best animations for crouched/crawling. In terms of comparing it to a open world game, Horizon Frobidden west is super well animated. Has a good crawl animation/running.
It doesn't need to be as good as those 2 games. There are plenty 3rd person shooter games that have decent animation. We shouldn't always expect a new game that comes out to be the best at everything.

Sorry Bethesda is not known for great animation in their physic based titles like elder scrolls, fallout, and now starfield.
Just because they aren't known for good animation doesn't mean they can never make a game with good animation. And the animation in the game does look good - to me.

I will agree that its probably their best animated game in terms of character/physics. But if compared to many other titles that have released in the past 4+ years it falls short.
I respect your opinion.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m36843353654/?ref=search_results

This guy must have stolen a shipment and trying to get that bag before the game value drop to a trade in value less than a paperclip and pocket lint in a couple weeks.

m73989528538_1.jpg

https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m24436730225/

m24436730225_1.jpg

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Since we've only seen the character running and ducking, I can only compare that. It's pretty standard these days for animation. Most AAA games 3P shooters look like this.

You've been playing 3p shooters from before 2010 then.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
  • noneofmybizz
Reactions: Doncortez77

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sure.. anything you say buddy. Nothing wrong with the game as of now and the animation certainly isn't crap like you are trying to imply.
They still didn't 100% fix the bullet tracers not aligning properly with the gun barrel let alone the player model, I can't think of any other modern shooter where this is an issue.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sure.. anything you say buddy. Nothing wrong with the game as of now and the animation certainly isn't crap like you are trying to imply.

Where did I say anything was wrong? I praised it. But you can praise someone without bullshitting about what it is or isn't. L

The animation work in this game would be great for 2010 standards, not today's. For Bethesda standards? Its great, much better than what they had in Failout 4.