"A console without exclusives is like a human without a soul" - Pyo

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Microsoft released a console without a first party game. Colour me shocked that the Series failed.

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
A bluray player without exclusive movies is like a bluray player without a soul. Please make me buy more bluray players to do the exact same thing because of film exclusives, I love spending money!!

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
but but, market changing :D
The Covid's effect on PS5 production gave Xbox a fighting chance which they royally fucked up. No Covid = Game over, ball burst

Don Mattrick was smart enough to have exclusives at launch. Yet he's the dumb fuck 🤷‍♂️

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The Covid's effect on PS5 production gave Xbox a fighting chance which they royally fucked up. No Covid = Game over, ball burst

Don Mattrick was smart enough to have exclusives at launch. Yet he's the dumb fuck 🤷‍♂️
xbox paid premium for chips, that PS5 would get less. it wasn't just covid, it was all m$, trying to hijack the supply.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
are you serious
I cannot fathom or imagine the idea of getting goosebumps from a company logo
Maybe they mean the Playstation's marvel studios rip off clip. To each their own.

I can understand the nostalgia for boot up sounds. If the option was there I'd click to put on the PS1 boot up noise when the PS5 is turned on. The fucking memories.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
are you serious
I cannot fathom or imagine the idea of getting goosebumps from a company logo
You're gonna make me believe you never saw live reactions when the logos of Rockstar, Naughty Dogs, Insomniac or Santa Monica appear on screen? How sheltered can you be. This is not even a game industry thing. It's everywhere across all entertainment.

Brand identity and hype. It used to mean something.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
You're gonna make me believe you never saw live reactions when the logos of Rockstar, Naughty Dogs, Insomniac or Santa Monica appear on screen? How sheltered can you be. This is not even a game industry thing. It's everywhere across all entertainment.

yeah, when you used to see Playstation studios, you knew, the goods coming...

now? oh, probably PC port coming..

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024

Closest I can think of is as a kid thinking that if a game has the Nintendo or Square Enix logo that guaranteed it would be a good game. That belief evaporated after playing Star Fox Command and Final Fantasy Type-0, however

I guess I can sorta understand though, on thinking on it, if a studio regularly puts out exactly what you wanna see and play you'll be more likely to trust the brand. Goosebumps or those extreme reactions though, can't relate. I only get those feelings towards specific game series.

Last edited:

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
A bluray player without exclusive movies is like a bluray player without a soul. Please make me buy more bluray players to do the exact same thing because of film exclusives, I love spending money!!

Hey if you're blu-ray player is good enough, it might have YouTube and you can stream gameplay videos of all the games you wish for, no matter the device! There you go, platform agnostic gaming.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Dominant but still low. On the internet it's extremely negative. Everybody is rooting for Playstation to fail, always negative news and hitpieces. There's no joy talking about anything PS-related.

Wukong is mostly a Steam thing.
I still think they are ok but I cannot deny in hardcore spaces, people are out for Sonys head this generation.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Not sure I agree. Sure, exclusives help. But you also have to have good hardware, value, peripherals, online, customer service...

The Wii U had amazing exclusives on it's short run, but sold like crap.

At the end of the day a console is a relatively cheap point of entry to gaming that offers ease of usage and consistency for the players. Those are their main selling points to me.

Reactions: TrishaCat

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not sure I agree. Sure, exclusives help. But you also have to have good hardware, value, peripherals, online, customer service...

The Wii U had amazing exclusives on it's short run, but sold like crap.

At the end of the day a console is a relatively cheap point of entry to gaming that offers ease of usage and consistency for the players. Those are their main selling points to me.
No
Switch has shit hardware. The PS4 had (relatively) shit hardware. The games are all that matter. Wii U flopped due to bad marketing and the Wii being aimed at the casual audience who don't really upgrade/buy in unless it becomes a cultural phenomenon

TrishaCat

Veteran
17 May 2024
The PS3 also had a problem for a while getting games because its cell architecture made it hard to develop for. That was a hardware problem preventing 3rd party software, much like how the Switch only becomes harder and harder to develop for with time in no small part due to its hardware having already been aged when it came out. The Wii was attractive to casuals because of its motion control and the kinds of games that could be made to take advantage of that hardware feature.

Hardware is where the PS1 vs N64 storage and loading speed arguments came from, with cartridges allowing for faster loading times while cds allowing for larger storage. This kind of thing affects who purchases and what kind of games are even available.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Xbox is bringing a 1st party game to PC before Xbox lol
Not the first time nor the last. For example flight sim was a year earlier on PC. AoE2 remastered was on PC for several years before going to Xbox.