"A console without exclusives is like a human without a soul" - Pyo

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Valve would never support closed platforms like that, they want everything to be open.

Perhaps but they did release the original Half Life on PS2 as well as Half Life 2 and Counterstrike on Xbox so while it probably won't happen, never say never.

MiyazakiLovesKojima

Is this who we're quoting now?

A double-digit IQ Twitter Attention Seeking Maniac?

I'm so glad I left gaming discussion circles because it's looking terrible nowadays with a lack of genuine excitement from devs.

Gaming is Dead. Long Live Gayming.
dead seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

31 Aug 2024
With Xbox disappearing and the pc market so weak, while PlayStation is picking up steam in China....

I can see PlayStation having the latitude to avoid porting to pc further.

Especially given the difficulties they've had with Helldivers 2, PSN registrations and Concord.... Even the single player games sales have been very soft.

The upsides have certainly not met expectations.
steam-peak-concurrent-users-1280x973.webp

excuse me did you just say the PC market is weak Steam users have been growing every year

Reactions: Bryank75

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
In place of proper PS Portable, I just find myself on the Ally more and more. I've grown tired of waiting for Sony to put the puzzle pieces together better over the last 10 years now, from what they do have access to, and miss opportunities they should pursue more smartly.

Even not talking about emulation, but I can get RE1,2,3 off GOG with remastered textures. Where's my fucking PS3 digital purchases of those games, Sony, you fucking clown shoes joke merchants!

I shouldn't "have to" seek emulation or a different platform where the games are available for normal purchase, I already bought them digitally from PS ffs!

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
31 Aug 2024
Steam is doing well, I mean PC overall..

Other stores in PC are dying too
Majority of Steam users are on PC. PC is going to continue growing as a platform especially when those small form factor mini gaming PC’s become mainstream you just buy one of those plug it into your TV and your set

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Majority of Steam users are on PC. PC is going to continue growing as a platform especially when those small form factor mini gaming PC’s become mainstream you just buy one of those plug it into your TV and your set
PC will not be becoming mainstream any time soon. A Steam "PC box" already failed and it'd already be a console. Like the ones we have now.

Also, the younger generations are moving away from PC gaming and are increasingly tech illiterate.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Like steam machines :sneaky:
to be fair I think that nowadays, specially with xbox going all out on pc, and the steam deck being as successfull as it is, steam machines could make a ressurgence if valve wanted to. I dont necessairly think they will but the industry right now seems much more welcoming to that sort of thing than it did in 2015.

I am a playstation gamer but I did consider for a while getting an xbox in order to play 7th gen games in higher resolution and get some of the exclusives on that side. nowadays if it came down to getting a PC/steam machine-like device or getting an xbox, I wouldnt consider xbox for even a second before picking a steam machine.

balrogboy

21 Jun 2022
Perhaps but they did release the original Half Life on PS2 as well as Half Life 2 and Counterstrike on Xbox so while it probably won't happen, never say never.
Orange box also came to ps3 btw, its how I played HL2 and portal and honestly (at least from memory) it was a pretty great port.
Also lets not forget both CS:GO and Portal 2 also came to the ps3, and with your physical edition of Portal 2 you would also get a code to redeem the game for free on PC.

• Informative
Reactions: peter42O
31 Aug 2024
PC will not be becoming mainstream any time soon. A Steam "PC box" already failed and it'd already be a console. Like the ones we have now.

Also, the younger generations are moving away from PC gaming and are increasingly tech illiterate.
Younger generations aren't moving away from PC in fact more young kids rather play games on phone tablet or PC

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
The Steam Machine failed because it came out a wrong time now with all Xbox and PS5 exclusives going to steam a steam machine like box would do pretty well look at how popular the Steam Deck and Rog Ally are
But I think everyone has to realize how many units steam deck has sold.

The scale is very small in comparison to a psp or a PS4 or PS5.

We're talking about 3 or so million steam decks I believe. Where vita sold over ten and was considered a flop.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023

They are moving away from home consoles too. It has to be portable to be popular. Whether PC or console.

Millennials are keeping home console gaming afloat, just due to habit.

Reactions: R4tion4l Sk3pt1c

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I can't say I disagree, I can't imagine being a PS fan without its back catalog of history making games for almost 30 years now.

The PS3 wouldn't have amounted to much without the top studios doing their work, the xbox 360 almost ate Sony's lunch with Halo, Gears/Forza... The PS4 sealed Xbox's fate with its own set of exclusive games (+ performance).

The Switch has to be the best example of this, this machine amounts to almost nothing without its exclusive games... Yet it has sold like hot cake for years and years, all because it has top Nintendo exclusives as its main selling point.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
The Switch has to be the best example of this, this machine amounts to almost nothing without its exclusive games... Yet it has sold like hot cake for years and years, all because it has top Nintendo exclusives as its main selling point.

The switch main selling point has been how it can provide gaming both portable and on a TV screen.

In fact the Switch lineup of exclusives would have been terrible for a long while without the WII U games. That console had great exclusives and BC but sold really bad. So exclusives dice games don't tell the whole story.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
31 Aug 2024

We're talking about 3 or so million steam decks I believe. Where vita sold over ten and was considered a flop.
Just wait until Lenovo Asus and Alienware start marketing their small and portable gaming pc’s they’re going to show it running PlayStation and Xbox exclusives showing the consumer you can play all your games on one device

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022

That's only because Sony gimped the little fucker in the planing stages. Just with all shoulder buttons and clickable sticks, thst thing could have just kept rolling, remoteplaying into PS4/PS5. Yes I know "but PS Portal", but Im ssying Sony should have lead with their best foot forward (such as dev vita having tv-out), and not lost any portable ground over last 10 years.

I think handheld pc's are a way bigger threat to traditional consoles, thsn steam machines/desktop pc's.